The underpass fiasco

grumpyoldman

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it the first time last wednesday when i came back from my yearly teppanyaki cure.

Well there you go I still did not see a sign on Friday, you cant see the wood for the trees! Loved using the underpass, oh well must obey the law!

This morning went through 2 times with plenty of m/cs using it including one on the wrong side going against the traffic, like many do on the roads. No doubt the police will crackdown on it sooner or later once they have been ordered to do so.

This morning went through 2 times with plenty of m/cs using it including one on the wrong side going against the traffic, like many do on the roads. No doubt the police will crackdown on it sooner or later once they have been ordered to do so.

As usual no one takes any notice of a man saying in the press "motorbikes are strictly banned, we will be working closely with the police to make sure it does not happen" people even ignore signs because there are no police to enforce the law, the man in the press with the quote is just another crack down one of many in Thailand, I did not take any notice of him but I will obey the signs and not use the underpass on my motorbike!

As usual no one takes any notice of a man saying in the press "motorbikes are strictly banned, we will be working closely with the police to make sure it does not happen" people even ignore signs because there are no police to enforce the law, the man in the press with the quote is just another crack down one of many in Thailand, I did not take any notice of him but I will obey the signs and not use the underpass on my motorbike!

You are a good bunny after all.

You are a good bunny after all.

Yep I am, I just like things to be clear, many restrictions in Bangkok towards motorbikes seems to be spreading here!

Not a problem going down the slip road!

Edited by Badrabbit

Used the underpass for the first time today, m/c,s in both directions and not

a bib in sight. coffee1.gif

So much for working closely with the police to strictly stop motorbikes from using the underpass, just another crackdown to show the people that something is being done except it's not!

Yes and a madman on a motorbike going north in the wrong lane almost clipped my car which was going south. Apparently the motorbike, who clearly wasn't really using the underpass as that's against the rules, didn't know that you're not supposed to try to pass other cars and bikes in a tunnel in the other lane.

The first insane accident will be interesting. Just hope neither my loved ones nor myself or anyone sensible is involved!

Used the underpass for the first time today, m/c,s in both directions and not
a bib in sight. coffee1.gif

So much for working closely with the police to strictly stop motorbikes from using the underpass, just another crackdown to show the people that something is being done except it's not!

Didn't go through the underpass yesterday I went down the slip road, very busy with many motorbikes using it, yep it's being strictly controlled just like everything else here, did not see any signs on the south side banning motorbikes, not seen the sign on the north side(apparently by the international hospital, but if it is there no one is taking any notice of it!

Edited by Badrabbit

Just went through for the first time today and it was slow going and I look ahead and it's a motorbike just plodding along at its own pace of about 45 kph. I think people are just sightseeing through the tunnel.

Isnt it a shame that such a great road has to be screwed up by the Thais who built it to alleviate traffic problems and now they are right back at contributing to the exact same thing they are trying to prevent? Thainess in full force

Yes, only 45 when 50 is allowed is ridiculous.

Speed limit signs are ridiculous here, it's fast...faster...foot through the floor fast!!

I'm not talking about the signs, I'm talking about the limits.

Speed limit signs are ridiculous here, it's fast...faster...foot through the floor fast!!

Yes I know!

Yes I know!

Isn't the limit 80kph?

Its 50 but there was an article in Phuket News that said they only put the signs up as a "suggestion"

That was for bypass road further on.

Since when has a speed sign ever been considered a "suggestion" it says the speed limit is 50kph so can you do 150kph legally?

Its 50 but there was an article in Phuket News that said they only put the signs up as a "suggestion"

Since when has a speed sign ever been considered a "suggestion" it says the speed limit is 50kph so can you do 150kph legally?

No. The legal limit is 80kph. The 50kph signs all the way down Chao Fah West and Vised road down to Rawai, and along Patak Road to Kata are "advisory":

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/811449-mandatory-speed-limit-on-main-phuket-road-is-not-mandatory/

The signs stevenl are referring to must be real signs, i.e. not advisory, but I haven't noticed them as I have yet to need to go through the tunnel either northbound or southbound.

This is the only, pretty poor, picture I have northbound. But I do see a sign banning bikes... whistling.gif

post-35489-0-63857400-1430483552_thumb.j

No. The legal limit is 80kph. The 50kph signs all the way down Chao Fah West and Vised road down to Rawai, and along Patak Road to Kata are "advisory":

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/811449-mandatory-speed-limit-on-main-phuket-road-is-not-mandatory/

The signs stevenl are referring to must be real signs, i.e. not advisory, but I haven't noticed them as I have yet to need to go through the tunnel either northbound or southbound.

This is the only, pretty poor, picture I have northbound. But I do see a sign banning bikes... whistling.gif

attachicon.gifunderp2.jpg

I need glasses, where is the sign banning motorbikes? not pedal cycles!

When talking about the speed signs. What is the difference between red and blue speed signs?

red: mandatory?

blue: suggested?

Is there really two options here?

Yes. This, red, one is "advisory":

post-35489-0-04778700-1430483940_thumb.j

There are dozens of 'em. Someone must've got a great deal from the administration to make all those signs, that aren't legally enforceable. whistling.gif

When talking about the speed signs. What is the difference between red and blue speed signs?

red: mandatory?

blue: suggested?

Is there really two options here?

Yes. This, red, one is "advisory":

attachicon.gifadvisory.jpg

There are dozens of 'em. Someone must've got a great deal from the administration to make all those signs, that aren't legally enforceable. whistling.gif

So is transport department asking drivers to be sensible? I'm on the floor laughing!!