Where to change a huge amount of 1 baht coins ?

anthobkk

Hello,

So actually I've been saving most of my 1 baht coins since 2011. I don't know why, I was just lazy to spend it except to get water in the machine but now I have way too much coins, I would like to change it before Christmas in order to buy presents.

The problem is I really don't know where to do that and WHO will be fool enough to take the time to count them all.

We tried this weekend with some friends and we stopped after 2000 baht which represent about 75% of all the coins. It's quite heavy also, I would say more than 10 kg.

I would like to go to a bank, but if they don't have a machine then I don't want to waste their time and the time of people in the queue as well.

Any suggestion ?

I once brought my piggy bank to a Tops supermarket since my bank did not have one of those machines that can count coins.

Tops were quite happy to count and exchange the coins for bills. I guess they are often in need of coins. Not sure if every branch will do it though.

Edited by euroflash

Charity maybe is the best solution, forget about banks, they are not interested in coins.

A Tesco Lotus or similar is you best option, but you have to count first and bundle the coins.

As most wallets don't have space for coins anymore I used to drop them in the car and than once in a while get take them out and put in a jar until we have over 17,000 Baht in coins and I had to carry the extremely heavy bag around to several banks that all refused, finally my wife got rid of them at Lotus.

My experience is that it's up to the individual bank if they want to accept a large amount of coins or not. I went to a couple of different banks before I found one that would accept 600 baht worth of 25 satang coins, about 10 kilos I guess. It was a large main branch of Bangkok Bank and they didn't have a coin counting machine, but they took me to a private office where I helped them count the coins!

7/11's , markets, most places though just want 5 and 10's.

Coach company takes our 1 and 2's.

We have to change double that every week.

Banks near markets or near 7/11's will gladly take them as they are always asked for them.

If you can find which stall has a little sideline providing coins in a market they will take the lot.

I recently needed to find 200 in cash. Shopping around, most banks were happy to buy Euros, but had none for sale. Eventually found one who had the notes, and presented them with the necessary Baht in a carrier bag of coins, which my wife and I had pre-counted and sorted into bags of 100 baht each. This was change from my pocket, dropped in a jar every night for the last tw years!

The bank was perfectly happy with this, but assigned two tellers to count it all, twice! It took over half an hour. Fortunately for the rest of the world, the bank was not busy!

Generally, 7-Eleven, Tesco Local, etc., are happy to take coins in bulk, it saves them having to get from the bank: they use more than they receive, but many lots of hundreds will be preferred to one lot of thousands!

• Like 1

offer everybody free water on the reverse osmosis machine

will make you popular

but it might also work in the way that they will demand this on a regular basis

hey, there is the farang throwing his money :)

next time, when you go eat out, leave the coins as TIP

Bundle them into stacks of say, 100 and then take them to a 711 when they are not busy (that could take a bit of doing) but don't go at peak-hour.

You'll want to know yourself, how many you have, so bundling them, maybe also weighing them will help you.

Or earn Merit.... DONATE them!

Put in small plastic bags designed for the purpose available at any bank - x100 1 Baht coins, if you go in wearing a T-shirt and shorts they will count out the coins one by one, if you look like a real person they will just weigh them.

Sort through them. Donate any dated from 2009 to present. Keep the rest, eventually trade them in for a condo when hyperinflation hits the world. (Though you may, or may not have a very long wait).

In 2009 Thailand changed the composition from 75% copper and 25% nickel to nickel clad steel. The ones dated 2009 or newer are worth about six cents at today's melt value.

1. Calculate 75% copper value :

(3.3133
× .00220462262
× 3.00 × .75) = $0.0164

2. Calculate 25% nickel value :

(6.3442 × .00220462262 × 3.00 × .25) = $0.0104

3. Add the two together :

= $0.026 (in US dollars)

Now if you could just amass a few 50 gallon drums of them, and uh, if hyperinflation comes....

just what you wanted to know eh?

Donate 'em.

Edited by jsflynn603

Put in small plastic bags designed for the purpose available at any bank - x100 1 Baht coins, if you go in wearing a T-shirt and shorts they will count out the coins one by one, if you look like a real person they will just weigh them.

for more discussion of appropriate attire for a visiting a retail bank branch see this thread... www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/673011-how-should-i-dress/

My experience is that it's up to the individual bank if they want to accept a large amount of coins or not. I went to a couple of different banks before I found one that would accept 600 baht worth of 25 satang coins, about 10 kilos I guess. It was a large main branch of Bangkok Bank and they didn't have a coin counting machine, but they took me to a private office where I helped them count the coins!

The last time I changed coins at the bank (my own bank/branch), they said they were happy to do so, but for a 100THB fee. Tho not outrageous, given the counting-time, I told the manager I wasn't prepared to pay it coz they accepted my notes easily enough, so why would I be happy to pay for exchanging/depositing coins? Money is money, after all...right? This Thai-thing that only wants (and expects) the cream, has to be challenged, IMO.

They did re-count it (pre-bagged by me and labelled with accurate contents) and deposit into my account, without charge. However, the next time I enter the bank/branch carrying a bag of coins, we'll see. They may just tell me the service is no longer available...blink.png

for more discussion of appropriate attire for a visiting a retail bank branch see this thread... www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/673011-how-should-i-dress/

I was thinking about the "how to dress for weddings/funerals" thread earlier this year.

Some people just have no idea - having to ask about coins is indicative.

The missus took 2 k or so into Bangkok Bank. They were going to charge her 3% but when they saw it was a child's account they did it for nothing. I have about 14k of it but the 2.5 k and growing 1baht pile will be wrapped in cellophane for son's monk ordination ceremony in a couple of years. Don't know what I will do with the rest maybe just keep it for now or see how I go say with 1k of 10s at the bank to start with.