Wild life in Samui

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are bad news Evad.

I trod on one during a power cut a few years back (big buggger he was) and it took months for the infection to clear up.

Much worse than scorpions!

Thai are really scared for these guys, they are mean and hurt like hell, and as you describe, take a long time to heal.

How about the squirrels ?? In the early 90's, there were thousands of them. And today?

In Plai Laem they are making a comeback. We quite often see them in the trees in the area and also 'crossing' the road on the telephone wires.

Maybe Burmese construction workers do not like them? (Now that a lot of the Isan construction workers have moved on.) Just a thought. whistling.gif

How about the squirrels ?? In the early 90's, there were thousands of them. And today?

In Plai Laem they are making a comeback. We quite often see them in the trees in the area and also 'crossing' the road on the telephone wires.

Maybe Burmese construction workers do not like them? (Now that a lot of the Isan construction workers have moved on.) Just a thought. whistling.gif

Heaps of then around here & seem to keep the Coconut trees in check with the weevils. They come in the backyard & around the pool.

Heaps of then around here & seem to keep the Coconut trees in check with the weevils. They come in the backyard & around the pool.

Good to hear, that's a good sign,

• 4 weeks later...

We used to get lots of them when we first built our house. Ours were the only villas here on the hill for a few years.

Unfortunately - with the rash of current construction, the fireflies have disappeared. sad.png Hopefully they will return when the construction is finished. (If there is any bushland left that is. facepalm.gif )

Edited by Tropicalevo

Yesterday at noon a couple of Ks up Soi 5 in Maenam an animal ran across the road in front of my car it was about 18 to 24 inches long

short legs, brown fur, quite a thick tail. I stopped the car and looked where it went into the bush, it turned and looked at me and then fled. My first impression that is was an otter but I suppose it could have been a mink or a marten or some such.It was much too big to be somebodys escaped ferret

Whatever it is it must have escaped from somewhere.

I doubt that it is native to the Island.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This reticulated ptyhon, pictured below, was caught in our chicken den, three months ago. It ate 4 chickens and a hen over a few months, when it was in a coma from eating the hen, we spotted it and had it removed from the premises. Now it's part of a snake farm on the island.

The big lizard crossed Bang Rak road this afternoon, on the way to the beach and took shelter at Nara Garden. It's probably on a barbie by now.

post-12697-0-56815500-1438681480_thumb.j

post-12697-0-21312700-1438681489_thumb.j

post-12697-0-07888600-1438681509_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Found this one on the patio the other morning

Found one outside bedroom door once.

Mmm don't think one of these would fit through too many gaps? maybe you leave your doors open at night.

12cm by my estimation but I'm not brave enough to measure precisely.

I believe the theory is that the larger the scorpion the less lethal the venom, I'll let someone else test that out!

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2015 at 4:47 PM, limbos said:

This reticulated ptyhon, pictured below, was caught in our chicken den, three months ago. It ate 4 chickens and a hen over a few months, when it was in a coma from eating the hen, we spotted it and had it removed from the premises. Now it's part of a snake farm on the island.

The big lizard crossed Bang Rak road this afternoon, on the way to the beach and took shelter at Nara Garden. It's probably on a barbie by now.

post-12697-0-56815500-1438681480_thumb.j

post-12697-0-21312700-1438681489_thumb.j

post-12697-0-07888600-1438681509_thumb.j

Jesus.. that's a proper snake!

To anyone saying there aren't monkeys on KP.. there definately is! Nearly mowed a couple down on my bike.