University

xxDCxx

Hi, I am looking to go to university in Thailand, with the end goal of being a teacher full time in Thailand. I am a native English speaker from Canada, and would like any input on the best way to do this. Ideally I would like to get a b.ed. so that I can get a teachers license and be completely legal after finishing my degree. Eventually I would like to get a masters in education, but I am not 100% sure where I would do this and I would need to work for awhile before going back to school to do so ($$$). So my question is what universities offer a b.ed. degree program in Thailand and what would be my best course of action?

You might be better off to find a reputable online program from Canada or any English speaking country.

There are other threads that speak specifically to programs and universities.

The degree from Thailand will only help you get jobs in Thailand. If you ever want to travel and teach, you will not be accepted with a Thai degree.

You should listen to this advice.

You should take this advice.

Degrees from Thailand are worthless in the global market.

You always have to take equivalency tests to use them for entrance abroad.

The Thais know this but they force you to consider what you are considering anyway.

• Like 1

Ok well I appreciate the advice but my plan is to live and work in Thailand, I already know that a degree from Thailand would not do me any good back home or in any western nation, and I am fine with that. I already have a career at home that pays well and has allowed me to save enough money to pursue my goal of going to University in Thailand . Basically what I am saying here is if I spend 4 years studying, graduate, then for some reason decide to move home I would be happy with the experience of studying in Thailand regardless of what the degree is worth at home or anywhere else.

Can anybody answer the questions I did ask though specially about studying in Thailand? And is a degree from Thailand really that worthless that even other ASEAN nations would not recognize it? Specifically countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, South Korea, Indonesia, Taiwan.

Once again just to make it clear so nobody else tells me, I do completely understand the fact that a degree from Thailand is not worth much if anything in western nations, even Japan and Singapore, which are more advanced I understand a degree from Thailand will probably not do me any good.

The best thing for you to do is checkout Thongsook international. They started a BA course a little over a year ago and it is a going concern.

benefits are that you get a TESOL certificate.

They can usually find yo work

You get a bA in Teaching English

It will also qualify you for a 3 year student visa.

The haters will come out on this but it is a good course and if nothing else it gives you3 years, is reasonably priced and you can teach earning money while you work.

Yes i am on the course

You might be better off to find a reputable online program from Canada or any English speaking country.

The degree from Thailand will only help you get jobs in Thailand. If you ever want to travel and teach, you will not be accepted with a Thai degree.

The Thais know this but they force you to consider what you are considering anyway.

"The Thais know this but they force you to consider what you are considering anyway."

That almost sounds profound ... although the idea of Thais scouring the planet for people to come to Thailand to do B.Ed. programs and cleverly concealing the value of the degree for all those graduates who planned to teach in far flung locales is a bit of a stretch.

Hi, I am looking to go to university in Thailand, with the end goal of being a teacher full time in Thailand.

Already fluent in the Thai language?

About degrees in Thailand being worthless, I have a different opinion....

I asked Harvard University in the United States if my international bachelors degree would meet their basic educational requirement to study in their MBA program and they said yes. They said if the institution that issues the Thai degree is accredited by the government organization that accredits higher education in the country where the university is located, and I meet their other requirements such as writing an essay about myself and passed their interview, then they would accept my bachelors degree from Thailand. I hardly call that worthless.

You're studying the concepts with the same textbooks that they use in the USA with teachers from all over the world for less than $20,000 dollars. The only thing you don't have is the debt most students have when they finish school in the west. An international degree in a Thai university is one of the best kept secrets in the world. You can get a great education here for comparatively very little money.

About your teaching license, are you referring to one issued by the Thai government or one issued by a country in the west? If the latter, usually you have to get that outside of Thailand by actually working in another country. However, it's best to ask this question in the "Teaching in Thailand" forum of ThaiVisa. If you just want the Thai license, having a bachelor's degree and working as an English teacher should get the license.

There are a lot of good international English programs (bachelor's degrees) that would satisfy the skills you're looking for to teach in Thailand. For a list of schools with an education program look through the following book on international programs put out by the Office of Higher Education Commission here in Thailand.

http://www.stat.mua.go.th/eDoc/download.php?book_file=2013/20130306105930.pdf&book_id=2013-004

Well done Richard. You actually took the time to check things rather than simply believe the urban myths about Thai degrees.

Many of the Universities here have large contingents of overseas students - Bangkok University and Assumption are two I know, Chula, Kasetsart, Thammasat all recognized by and have connections with European and American universities. I have many Thai friends who completed bachelor degrees in Thailand and then went to Canada, UK, US, Japan or Australia for their Masters. None had any problems with recognition of their bachelor degree.

• Like 1

I actually knew a Canadian that did his degree in Thailand.

He was too dumb to get into univ in CDA and applied into the international program at Rangsit but flunked out too. He eventually ended up at Bangkok U International Program.

Not sure how good or how recognised, daddy has a company and there's where he's working now.

It's an excellent place to learn. Very affordable. Be informed and check out gibill.asia, as this lists all options for English program degrees in Thailand, all of which are approved by Veteran affairs in the usa. To say degrees are worthless in Thailand is an insult to academics both Thai and farang who live and work here. :-D good luck.

I've been in Thailand quite a few years and I know plenty of people who have gotten both Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Thailand and none of them have had any trouble when returning to their home country. I know one person now who is pursuing a Ph.D. here in Thailand in one of the sciences.

Most of the negative stuff you hear about Thailand is from Thai bashers who live in Thailand. When I go back, I never hear anything negative about the education system in Asia in general and Thailand in particular.

• Like 2

Not true.

Why? There are many highly credible universities from USA Canada, many European countries (at the moment especially Germany), Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, and more, who have formal exchange programs with many Thai universities.

Bottom line - all of these universities conduct detailed due diligence assessments on all universities / anywhere before they sign exchange agreements.

I've recently taught about 40 German exchange students in several MBA courses, all of them come from quite prestigious German universities.

I also lecture in the Masters of Education program in a Thai university, all lessons are in English, 90 - 95% of the courses are taught by visiting off shore lecturers, class size generally about 25 students, in most courses about half the students are from abroad. PM me if you want details.

Edited by scorecard

Does anyone know if it is possible for an English only speaker to do a Masters degree (arts or education) in Thailand?

Education yes, I lecture in this program.

Art,s I don't know.

PM to me and I'll share some info on the M Ed. program at one Thai university.

How far along are you in your college or university studies now? Your university, assuming that you've already attended for some time, might have an international student abroad program with a university here in Thailand. I, myself, studied at Chiang Mai University for one year through one such program while pursuing my BA. The program was basically independent study with courses approved by staff at both universities; Thai language was among the required subjects.

Having a good working knowledge of Thai might not be necessary, but certainly beneficial. For one of the best intensive programs there is, look into the SoutEast Asian Summer Studies Institute (SEASSI) http://seassi.wisc.edu/ You definitely will learn Thai (or any other of the 8 languages offered). Participants in this program come from all around the world and from walks of life--military, banking, medical, and more.

If your university does not have any study abroad arrangements in Thailand, maybe you can find another nearby university that will work with you. Good luck.

I asked Harvard University in the United States if my international bachelors degree would meet their basic educational requirement to study in their MBA program and they said yes. They said if the institution that issues the Thai degree is accredited by the government organization that accredits higher education in the country where the university is located, and I meet their other requirements such as writing an essay about myself and passed their interview, then they would accept my bachelors degree from Thailand. I hardly call that worthless.

You're studying the concepts with the same textbooks that they use in the USA with teachers from all over the world for less than $20,000 dollars. The only thing you don't have is the debt most students have when they finish school in the west. An international degree in a Thai university is one of the best kept secrets in the world. You can get a great education here for comparatively very little money.

About your teaching license, are you referring to one issued by the Thai government or one issued by a country in the west? If the latter, usually you have to get that outside of Thailand by actually working in another country. However, it's best to ask this question in the "Teaching in Thailand" forum of ThaiVisa. If you just want the Thai license, having a bachelor's degree and working as an English teacher should get the license.

There are a lot of good international English programs (bachelor's degrees) that would satisfy the skills you're looking for to teach in Thailand. For a list of schools with an education program look through the following book on international programs put out by the Office of Higher Education Commission here in Thailand.

http://www.stat.mua.go.th/eDoc/download.php?book_file=2013/20130306105930.pdf&book_id=2013-004

Well done Richard. You actually took the time to check things rather than simply believe the urban myths about Thai degrees.

Many of the Universities here have large contingents of overseas students - Bangkok University and Assumption are two I know, Chula, Kasetsart, Thammasat all recognized by and have connections with European and American universities. I have many Thai friends who completed bachelor degrees in Thailand and then went to Canada, UK, US, Japan or Australia for their Masters. None had any problems with recognition of their bachelor degree.

It may have been relevant to point out that he is not an impartial poster but is employed by a Thai University I believe in a post that is largely for PR.

It may have been relevant to point out that he is not an impartial poster but is employed by a Thai University I believe in a post that is largely for PR.

What an unnecessary think to write. It could also be just a state it as it is comment.

I also know there are credible universities here in Thailand, please see my post #13.

Perhaps also worth mentioning, in 99.9 % of cases, lecturers are pretty much respected 'part-time employees' who have little to zero say on what happens in the management / administration of each university. Pretty much the same world wide.

Edited by scorecard

Degrees in Thailand vary widely. An undergraduate degree will be considered overseas with the other requirements such as a portfolio of experiance for entry to higher degree requirements. Many will give the benifit of the doubt to the student but it is then up to the student to prove his ability to complete the upper courses just as it is for students of all countries. Because of the system used in many Universities where questioning and individual thought is not encouraged many Thai students overseas have dificulties.

There are some Universities that this does not apply to. Probably about 6 in Thailand which produce graduates that can stand their ground anywhere.

In business recruitment I feel most Thai degrees will not be considered to match a standard US university degree.

Edited by harrry

"I understand a degree from Thailand will probably not do me any good." Maybe you are young and think you will live forever? If it is not going to do you any good, why do it? The experience outside of classroom may be worthwhile and fun, but we are talking about the quality of the degree and implied education that goes with that, and that is your ticket for career. You get what you pay for much of the time.

From my experience most undergraduate programs in education are taught in Thai. Some universities have B. Ed "specific languages", but these are degrees to teach a specific language such as Chinese and English. You did not mention the subject you wish to teach so recommending a university is difficult. There other programs than "education" offered at Assumption, Bangkok, Mahidol, Ma Luang Fang, Chiang Mai, etc. universities. If a basic education undergrad degree is what you seek, I suggest learning Thai first, then apply to one of the well royal established teacher schools (there are quit a few.)Also, one does not necessarily need an BEd to get a teaching license, as other degrees are sometimes accepted if related to the subject one intends to teach.

Why bother ?

This discussion threatens to send a young man (silly me will assume he is a young man) into a rabbit hole of mismanaged academics in a barely legitimate country.

A sane, disinterested contributor to the discussion cautioned him and I seconded it heartily. There are no urban myths involved here. That's just a nice thing to say to someone who challenges your meal ticket in a forum like this.

Anecdotal self-serving "I know a guy" clap trap is not helpful but in the case of a love struck newby might just be enough to lead him on the road to nowhere.

I have worked in both systems.

Racket sports.

The only things I think it would be worthwhile studying here are region-specific subjects. Think Thai Language, Thai Studies, SE Asian studies and so on. If you did a terminal degree in one of those here it could probably work as you would have lots of experience in the region, etc. instead of only being able to get over here certain times of the year or during dissertation research.

As far as education degrees, there might be some good ones--see what you find. I am not impressed with what I see in the education program I teach in at a large uni. A lot of messed up stuff with faculty and students...too much to go into here. That said...the 10-20% of my students who are really engaged actually learn and I would feel confident sending anywhere, functioning in English in education or business.

Just be aware that in many (most? all?) of these universities, everyone passes pretty much and you will hold the same degree as the 80-90% who didn't do anything, can't speak a lick of English and don't know the first thing about their major. If you are fine with that, I guess you are halfway there.

Also, make sure that there will actually be jobs for you after graduating with this degree. I haven't heard of anything like this in Thailand, but in other Asian countries I have known of people actually having trouble qualifying as English teachers as they got their degrees in country, and employers or immigration officials wanted foreign degree holders. Again....have never heard of this in Thailand, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Still....I wouldn't do it based on what I have seen and the people I have met.

My comments were purely about a degree in education and for teaching jobs. Nothing about the low quality of international programs and degrees. There are many international masters degrees here that are as challenging and provide all the skills that any other country's degrees would offer.

As other posters have said, many Thai students go on and study at top schools in the west and do very well.

A degree in teaching and specifically TESOL, in a non native speaking country does not translate the same though and that was what I was addressing. Try and use your Thai BEd or MEd and get licensed in your home country or get a teaching job anywhere outside of Thailand. An online degree from an English speaking country would be better.

In no way was I bashing Thailand or its education system, just the practicality of teaching degrees for teaching outside of Thailand in case the OP wanted to continue teaching outside of Thailand.

Remember that your degree will only earn you 30-40k baht a month teaching jobs. So if you are spending 200-400k baht for your BA will take a few years to pay back on that kind of salary.

To answer specifically Payap in Chiang Mai, Ramkahaeng, Khon Kaen is starting some international programs.

Assumption University, and Chula has a masters in education.

There was also a SUNY joint distance learning degree done on the weekends. (state university of NY)

Son, I don't think you are listening. You need to get a teacher's degree in Canada and then come to Thailand with either one of the International schools, (there are many), who will pay a decent wage, or if you are not interested in money then you can work for a Thai school. It will be a major mistake, thinking long term, to get any education in Thailand. it will totally limit your future opportunities. Think about it. Thailand is a good place to live and work but you need to tee up the ball first or you will end up in the woody area.

I would come and study the "Thai Language" and you could get a degree that would be valuable.

How's that?

- Thai language is not spoken or used outside of Thailand, so not useful for work or anything in other countries.

- Thai language is not the magic door opener to working in a Thai company unless you also have some other highly sought after skills and experience which would warrant the additional costs of employing a foreigner, in line with the work permit requirements (field of work / salary etc.), annual work permit and additional wages costs etc.

Don't forget that the Thai employees will know if you are being paid extra, and could well be very pissed off unless they can see very clearly that you are adding high additional value. That doesn't mean 'can speak Thai'.

Don't forget to add that I also graduated from an international program in Thailand and now doing my MBA here. So if I am impartial it has more to do with my experience doing a bachelor's degree here and not only the fact that I'm working here. Had this been more of a PR statement I might have added a bit more about my university but I intentionally left that out. However, there is plenty of room on ThaiVisa for you to post your personal experience with international programs in Thai universities. I believe discussing the issue from different points of view can only help people to have a better understanding of the topic.

I also might be a bit impartial because I find being a student is a lot more fun than being in the army for 20 years. Especially the last five years of my military career. That was a long five years. Retiring and moving to Thailand was a band-aid for my soul. After that, graduating with a bachelor's degree was the icing on the cake. So yes...you are correct. I'm a bit impartial.

I have a friend take getting a bachelor of education through the University of Winnipeg (or a unniversity in Winnipeg) at a school here in Chiang Mai. Most of it is done online including classes over video group chat but he has to visit the local school for some things. Sorry, can't remember the name of the Thai school. With this, he will definitely be able to get jobs internationally later on although as you said, that isn't your concern. Might be worth looking into.

I have a friend take getting a bachelor of education through the University of Winnipeg (or a unniversity in Winnipeg) at a school here in Chiang Mai. Most of it is done online including classes over video group chat but he has to visit the local school for some things. Sorry, can't remember the name of the Thai school. With this, he will definitely be able to get jobs internationally later on although as you said, that isn't your concern. Might be worth looking into.

I've heard of this program. I believe it is at NakornPayap International School (http://www.nis.ac.th/). I was going to suggest it but I looked at their website and the information about it is not there anymore. I've heard they issue a teaching license from Canada as well. It's worth looking into.