Sick leave

Hi friends

I have n small business here in bangkok

I just employ n new staff he work for me for only less than a month and got sick and got a medical certificate for 25 days n may be more to come

Do I need to pay him his salary for this medical leave as he just only work for

Me for less than a month

Many thanks

Is your new employee subject to a probation period before accepting them as a permanent employee? If so, you can probably just fire them saying they were deemed to be unsuitable for the job without any consequences. Otherwise, I believe you are required to pay employees up to a certain number of days sick pay per year (not sure the amount, could be 30 days?.....research the labour law) if they provide a doctor's certificate for such time. (and yes, it is easy for them to go to any doctor and pay 50-100 baht for any such certificate). Once they have used up their sick pay allocation for that year, you would not be required to pay them for time off work "sick".

I disagree with what ajarnmarc is saying unless he is talking about an informal small business "mom and pop" type employment arrangement which is "off the books". Any limited company (borisut jamgut) does concern themselves with part months pay and sick pay and absence from work etc.

Is your new employee subject to a probation period before accepting them as a permanent employee? If so, you can probably just fire them saying they were deemed to be unsuitable for the job without any consequences. Otherwise, I believe you are required to pay employees up to a certain number of days sick pay per year (not sure the amount, could be 30 days?.....research the labour law) if they provide a doctor's certificate for such time. (and yes, it is easy for them to go to any doctor and pay 50-100 baht for any such certificate). Once they have used up their sick pay allocation for that year, you would not be required to pay them for time off work "sick".

I disagree with what ajarnmarc is saying unless he is talking about an informal small business "mom and pop" type employment arrangement which is "off the books". Any limited company (borisut jamgut) does concern themselves with part months pay and sick pay and absence from work etc.

Yes, I was referring to an informal business.

That's what this sounds like here in this post.

I also pay my staff for each day they work,

not hold the nuse over their head to complete the month or they get nothing attitude,

but I've seen the Thai's do it often.

This comes into play for Thai's unfortunately like to work for foreigners,

as they can take better advantage of us.

Not because they appreciate our labor practices,

and that's looking like what's going on here.

But none the less, anything under 90 days working is to the owners advantage.

yeah, if its in the first 3 months probation period, you can just let them go as not being suitable. If they ask you can say poor health.

Is there an employment contract? What does it say specifically about probation and/or sick leave / payment whilst on sick leave.

The Thai labor law is well established and quite clear to understand. And in recent years they have leant towards the employee. And more and more employees are taking cases to this court.

Others will tell you that if there's no written agreement then the law simply doesn't apply. That's absolutely not true.

Yes, I was referring to an informal business.

That's what this sounds like here in this post.

I also pay my staff for each day they work,

not hold the nuse over their head to complete the month or they get nothing attitude,

but I've seen the Thai's do it often.

This comes into play for Thai's unfortunately like to work for foreigners,

as they can take better advantage of us.

Not because they appreciate our labor practices,

and that's looking like what's going on here.

But none the less, anything under 90 days working is to the owners advantage.

Suggest you rethink your attitude.

So do I still need to pay my staff his salary for the medical leave he has

The medical cert say he got some blood clot in the brain n now he is still in hospital

He just work for my company almost one month

So the season of goodwill is upon us,

staff in hospital with blood clot on brain do I have to pay his meager salary?

have you no shame asking such a question? go and visit his family and him and PAY THE POOR BAST......D

In a case like this why pose the question?

The problem is not paying him but when I ask which hospital he is now so I can vist him he just say no need to come see him

The medical cert he give to me is from n local clinic not from any hospital

The medical cert say he got some blood clot in the brain n now he is still in hospital

have you no shame asking such a question? go and visit his family and him and PAY THE POOR BAST......D

The problem is not paying him but when I ask which hospital he is now so I can vist him he just say no need to come see him

Then only pay him face to face, if he is in hospital he will have to tell you which one, but this sounds like .......................

Amount of sick leave should be spelled out in the employment contract, and will be pro-rata during a probation period.

It's normally around double the number of days annual leave for a new employee.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So what date is on the medical certificate? Is it before he entered hospital (if he did)?

Does the visiting doctor at the hospital also have a shop front clinic? Maybe all certificates are issued by his staff at his clinic?

Is there a possibility he doesn't want other hospital patients and their visitors to see a foreigner visiting him?

...sounds like you definitely found the wrong person....they want you to pay them from the beginning without even working for it...

...I have heard that it is easy to get a Doctor to comply with 'Medical Certificate' requests....

...whatever the case, you owe them nothing....and please do NOT consider keeping them.....

Have just check with the labour deptment office

The official there say I have to pay him full salary as he has medical cert to prove he is sick even if the staff just started working for only one day I still have to pay him up to 30 working days

30 days? Thats generous! The standard in Australia is 10!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Almost one month is not a 2-3 days. So, how many days exactly he work?

I suggest to pay him month salary.

Then, according to situation, looks like he is not will to work anymore, because he not will to see someone from company. Then, consult lawyer for reason to terminate contract, or at least not pay for such a long leave. I think you will not see him again.