Two Thai women to explore South Pole

webfact

Two Thai females to explore South Pole

BANGKOK, 20 December 2013 (NNT) – Two Thai female researchers will on January 1st, 2014 commence their journey to South Pole to study soil and marine sciences.

The National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA) has recruited 2 researchers who will be joining a research team from China in exploring the South Pole, the southernmost point on the surface of the Earth.

The two lucky female researchers from Chulalongkorn University will be on their one-and-a-half-month visit at Great Wall Station in the South Pole during which both researchers will have a chance to study soil, marine science, and environmental impacts. Their journey will end on 15 February 2014.

The upcoming journey is inspired by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn who visited Antarctica 24 years ago. The princess back then thought that Thai researchers should have had more opportunities to explore the continent in a bid to acquire new knowledge of science and earth environment.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-20 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Stupid report and miles off.

King George Island is thousands of KM from the south pole.

Also, there is not really any soil on King George island to speak of, nothing really grows there in enough abundance to break down into soil. It is all rock and shale. The only real organic growth I believe is moss a few ferns growing out of cracks in rocks. so I am sure they will come to the conclusion that there as a little bit of moss based compost, not good enough to grow rice I'm afraid.

Don't know how Thais can live long there, they drop dead at 18C here in Thailand. How can they cope with 1C in the hottest part of the day.

Som-tum carts will be few and far between down there.

These two girls will be suffering after a couple of days. Add the close to zero temperature summer weather, nearly 24 hours of sunshine, and no bridge on the nose to wear sunglasses........Oh my!! whistling.gif

2 Thai ladies ??? to the South Pole ??? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

first at all I can bet with you they are Chinese also from BKK elite not Isaan girls biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

second, the Chinese Chinese members of expedition want Thai massage every day this is not question too laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

This news really made me laugh cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Actually, King George island is 120 km off the coast of the northern Antarctic Peninsula.

Wikipedia is severely off on their published estimations (often their science entries, like the information on King George Island, is outright abyssmal). Please do not use wiki for science data, you will be misinformed (the first announcement I make when the freshmen walk in, and you should see the terror on their faces). Look up the actual data created by an active researcher or research group.

According to the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR), "The island is dominated by a pervasive ice cap with more than 90% of the island being glaciated. The ice-free areas and coastal zones of the island include diverse flora and fauna including penguins, seals, petrels and relatively rich tundra vegetation. The peninsula region is also the area in Antarctica experiencing the most rapid and pervasive global warming on our planet." This warming trend makes the island what is called a 'mesocosm', (which translated into plain speak is a 'model of prediction for areas that will be affected later.')

The weather forecast is for temperatures next Thursday spiking at -3 celcius, the warmest day this week, with tomorrows high temperature a frosty -6 (Saturday being the coldest day). Nightime temperatures are significantly colder, typically 6-9 degrees colder.
Please remember that December is midsummer in the Southern hemisphere (ask your nearest Aussie). Brr. I would hate to be there in June and July. "On top of this general pattern there are many variations. In some coastal regions, especially the Antarctic Peninsula during mid–summer, temperatures occasionally rise to around +10ºC, while in winter they fall into the minus forties and fifties, depending on latitude."
Holy deep freeze, Batman--my stones are ice cubes!
I think the two Thai researchers are VERY brave to go there. I am astonished actually. You go girls!
thumbsup.gif
Edited by FangFerang
  • Like 2

Well, they'll bring back soil and marine life then. A penguin goes to Chiang Mai to serve as Lin Ping's company and the polar bear will be released in Khao Yai to be witnessed from the Château de Khao Yai.

As they'll be following Admundens footsteps I wonder where they vote for February 2nd, 2557 then. Or were the votes availed already?

Som-tum carts will be few and far between down there.

These two girls will be suffering after a couple of days. Add the close to zero temperature summer weather, nearly 24 hours of sunshine, and no bridge on the nose to wear sunglasses........Oh my!! whistling.gif

Actually King George Island is overcast approximately 70% of the year. Temperatures tomorrow will spike at a balmy -6 celcius, with nighttime lows almost ten degrees colder. Please remember the southern hemisphere has winter when we have summer. This is a summer day there. In winter, it can plunge to -20 to -30.

I wouldn't even send my mother-in-law there.

ohmy.png

Actually, King George island is 120 km off the coast of the northern Antarctic Peninsula.

Wikipedia is severely off on their published estimations (often their science entries, like the information on King George Island, is outright abyssmal). Please do not use wiki for science data, you will be misinformed (the first announcement I make when the freshmen walk in, and you should see the terror on their faces). Look up the actual data created by an active researcher or research group.

According to the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR), "The island is dominated by a pervasive ice cap with more than 90% of the island being glaciated. The ice-free areas and coastal zones of the island include diverse flora and fauna including penguins, seals, petrels and relatively rich tundra vegetation. The peninsula region is also the area in Antarctica experiencing the most rapid and pervasive global warming on our planet." This warming trend makes the island what is called a 'mesocosm', (which translated into plain speak is a 'model of prediction for areas that will be affected later.')

The weather forecast is for temperatures next Thursday spiking at -3 celcius, the warmest day this week, with tomorrows high temperature a frosty -6 (Saturday being the coldest day). Nightime temperatures are significantly colder, typically 6-9 degrees colder.
Please remember that December is midsummer in the Southern hemisphere (ask your nearest Aussie). Brr. I would hate to be there in June and July. "On top of this general pattern there are many variations. In some coastal regions, especially the Antarctic Peninsula during mid–summer, temperatures occasionally rise to around +10ºC, while in winter they fall into the minus forties and fifties, depending on latitude."
Holy deep freeze, Batman--my stones are ice cubes!
I think the two Thai researchers are VERY brave to go there. I am astonished actually. You go girls!
thumbsup.gif

I know it is 120KM off the coast of the Antarctic continent, but I did say 'The South Pole' which is not exactly a morning stroll away.

Once you get from King Georges Island to the closest tip of the continent you are left with a trek of over 3500KM to the pole seeing it is probably the longest route to the pole from there, and you need to go around a mountain range unless you want to climb it which wouldn't be advisable seeing ground temperatures can reach -70C. Oh and the coldest temperature recorded was a little above -93C in August 2010.

Edited by Nibbles48

China to Expand Presence in Antarctica with New Research Bases

TEXT SIZE

Reuters

December 19, 2013

BEIJING — China will expand its presence in Antarctica by building a fourth research base and finding a site for a fifth, a state-run newspaper said on Thursday, as the country steps up its increasingly far-flung scientific efforts.

http://www.voanews.com/content/reu-china-to-expand-presence-in-antarctica-with-new-research-bases/1813558.html

Yeah well, as long as they remember those islands are BRITISH!

You own almost nothing there.

First man on the South pole was our Norwegian hero Roald Amundsen because your "hero" Scott was too late and didn't make it, and Norway owns most of the South Pole.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sure pal, dream on. The great world power Norway!

Where would you be without the British, US an their allies - probably speaking German!

• Like 1

China to Expand Presence in Antarctica with New Research Bases

TEXT SIZE

Reuters

December 19, 2013

BEIJING — China will expand its presence in Antarctica by building a fourth research base and finding a site for a fifth, a state-run newspaper said on Thursday, as the country steps up its increasingly far-flung scientific efforts.

http://www.voanews.com/content/reu-china-to-expand-presence-in-antarctica-with-new-research-bases/1813558.html

Yeah well, as long as they remember those islands are BRITISH!

You own almost nothing there.

First man on the South pole was our Norwegian hero Roald Amundsen because your "hero" Scott was too late and didn't make it, and Norway owns most of the South Pole.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sure pal, dream on. The great world power Norway!

Where would you be without the British, US an their allies - probably speaking German!

Or Russian

No such thing as bad weather, just poor choice of clothing. I don't thing they will enjoy the weather much

as they complain like hell when the temperature drops to 18c at night. I am sure it will be a great adventure

for them and I hope they can contribute and inspire other Thais to seek knowledge and experience

outside Thailand.

• Like 1