474 road accidents kill 86 in first 2 days of New Year holidays: Thailand

webfact

it is really so much different than any other day?

they just pay attention to now and songkran ...

26.000 deaths a year, you dont get that in one week or one month

it is a consistent nr1 hit overhere

do they learn anything from it ?

well, look at the numbers, and i would say: i guess not ....

It's a lot worse during New Year, with hordes of immature roadhogs, high on M150, white whiskey and their self-proclaimed awesomeness, speeding on the wrong side of the road, flashing their lights and forcing oncoming vehicles to avoid them any way they can.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i believe the high numbers are due to the huge numbers of scooters and buses ,scotters drivin by teens,and poorly maintained buses driven by tired and old thais...these 2 factors, and the volume of traffic, definitly add to the numbers....

The situation is hopeless.

Come on, Thailand is the Land of Surprises, getting knocked down and killed on your way to the beach, trampled to death by an elephant, killing yourself in the shower because you slipped on those super shiny floor tiles the Thais love to use, falling off the balcony of your highrise condo because the guard rail is only 1/2 metre high, believing that's its safe to cross the road at a zebra crossing even when the lights are red for oncoming cars, believing that Thai's have a "highway code", taking an intercity bus, think trains are fun, not when they jump the tracks but it is certainly a surprise, and how I loved my neighbour fixing his house with a hammer and drill at 2am in the morning.

Thailand the Land of (nasty) Surprises(shocks) but we all come back for more nevertheless. Are we as suicidal as the natives or is this our adventure of a lifetime in a country that never ceases to amaze and certainly never ever has a dull moment. By the way when are the Thais going to build those nuclear power stations, 3 mile island was fun but the Thai engineers can always go one better.

• Like 1

Sadly its the same every year. They ever so casually report that 37% of accidents resulted from drunken driving (not DUI... but drunk) which will simply continue until they start imposing jail terms for offenders, plus loss of license and confiscation of vehicle to pay for damages.

Add to that the lack of driver training, no helmets, no seatbelts and poor vehicle maintenance (brakes, lights, suspension) and you have a formula for continued carnage and disaster.

The simple principle here is that if something is BROKEN and you make zero real effort to fix it then it will stay broken.'

The headline caption under the OP picture paints an alarming picture in that you can be driving along properly and minding your own business and then some speeding pickup hits the median strip and becomes airborne coming directly your way with nothing that you can do to prevent it.

"in a car accident in Phitsanulok yesterday. Six people were injured in the crash after a speeding pickup crossed a traffic island and hit this sedan head-on"

The article is frightening and sad of course. What is more frightening and sad are the crude, bigoted and hateful comments by some of the readers/posters.

From their comments, they appear to be the ultimate authority of all things Thai, experts of highway/road safety, accident statisticians, motorcycle repair technicians, soothsayers, inebriates, political science majors and know-all-see-all gurus. Some seem to be able to be able to discern the truth from a mere printed article, even though their knowledge and expertise about the subject is yet to be established.

I believe these hate-mongers represent a minority of readers. The silent majority,I would guess, may only shake their heads after reading some of the juvenile, hateful and speculative postings.

yeah your comments most probably are right .....obviously you must be new .I once thought the same but now reading the same thing over and over and over again.....bus crashes average one a week !! How many Hundreds of accidents in How many days???What country would allow this to happen ???? only Thailand "the laughing capital of the world" Keep shaking your head because I,ve shaken mine to the point where I can only now joke about reading this crap weekly if not daily.They are so ignorant about death and carnage and ...really ..... superficially prop up the public via their "safety campaignes or Road Blessings!! Oh come on......Mr Rightious..... it really has gone past a joke!!!You need to lighten up ,you won't change it so you might as well use another way to congratulate them for the fine achievement. Not at all hate mongering......well I do hate the stupidity of drunk or speedsters as I would Thai or Farang and as you would too if one allowed lunatic wiped out your family or loved one because of his great driving skills and ability or road worthiness of his overloaded vehicle!

it is really so much different than any other day?

they just pay attention to now and songkran ...

26.000 deaths a year, you dont get that in one week or one month

it is a consistent nr1 hit overhere

do they learn anything from it ?

well, look at the numbers, and i would say: i guess not ....

The games not over yet!!!!

over 31,000 with out a licence....f....kin unbelievable...take the car..crush it..same as UK..if over 31,000 dont have a licence you can bet many many more dont have insurance...<deleted>...take the car crush it...scrap metal dealers will have a field day...by taking away the cars,maybe..just maybe the Thai's will learn a lesson...but i wont be holding my breath.

over 31,000 with out a licence....f....kin unbelievable...take the car..crush it..same as UK..if over 31,000 dont have a licence you can bet many many more dont have insurance...<deleted>...take the car crush it...scrap metal dealers will have a field day...by taking away the cars,maybe..just maybe the Thai's will learn a lesson...but i wont be holding my breath.

Oh don't be so sensible!!! The police are more interested in their 100 baht tip ! 31,000 x 100 = over 3 mil and that's JUST no licence!

• Like 2

"DRUNK DRIVING AND SPEEDING ARE THE CAUSE" sorry, but they are not, they are the Effect of poor driver training and education,indiscipline,ignorance and lack of enforcement. This annual carnage is the direct result of poor governance and the glaring lack of adequate judicial administration and enforcement.

And that my friends sums it all up . . . . . ! Over 80 dead in two days and nothing much said in the media, one poor anti government protestor cuts his thumb and its world news . . . . .

The Ice cream is licking back as decades of underpaid police, systematic corruption, lack of law enforcement, vip mentality, most of the drivers are feel cooler then the others, full lack of responsibility and respect towards each other mixing with the weekend/holiday drivers and generally the greed-speed driven impatient aggressive driving habits, lack of education on both family/government levels are not helping the nation on the "Long Journey of Enlightenment" towards a respectful, wiser, brighter future for the sake of Thailand and our beloved new generations.

RIP to those innocent souls who became victims of this vicious cycle created by the greedy selfish mentality and lack of respect.

They really need some outside help i think..

I despair of Thai road users. My understanding of their driving ability has been that they can only see as far as their bonnets. Their ability to think - or a see - further ahead is an absolute zero. To be a driver in Thailand requires absolute attention to the road, before, behind, sideways and, probably, above! And this is beyond the average Thai drivers ability. I have met one or two that I have trusted, but they cannot avoid the "flying" truck, which leapfrogs the central reservation into the opposite lane.

We should not continue to compare Thailand in any aspect with our own countries' rules and regulations. It's all to do with the difference between "Knowledge" and "Wisdom". Knowledge is knowing the road is one-way; Wisdom is looking both ways anyway! Without the Knowledge, you cannot gain Wisdom. Without basic understanding of conditions; the ability to assess speed of oncoming vehicles; the stopping distances of individual vehicles; the blind spots of each and every vehicle; general "rules of the road" - which in many of our countries is a mandatory requirement for gaining a licence to drive, Thais will never, ever be safe on their own roads, either to themselves or to other road-users.

• Like 2

Third of seven New Year holidays sees 161 deaths, 1,390 injuries
By English News

13883848779685-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 30 - Road accidents on the third of seven Dangerous Days of the New Year holiday have claimed 161 lives, 1,390 injuries. Northeastern Nakhon Ratchasima province records most deaths with 12 for drunk driving.

As of December 29, the third day of the so-called seven dangerous days, Ministry of Public Health deputy permanent secretary Amnuay Gajeena said there were a total of 456 road accidents, 57 less than the same period last year, while 75 people were killed in road accidents, two less deaths than last year. There have been 503 people injured, 33 less than last year.

The major causes of accidents this year was drunken-driving, at almost 40 per cent, followed by speeding, at about 30 per cent. Up to 78.5 per cent of all accidents occurring involved motorcycles. Many motorcyclists did not wear helmets.

During the first three days of the seven dangerous days, Thailand recorded total 1,322 accidents. There were 161 people killed and 1,390 others injured in road accidents nationwide, 29 more injuries and 14 more deaths than the same period last year. Chaiyaphum and Samut Songkram provinces saw no road accidents.

There have been zero deaths in 21 provinces and zero injuries in four provinces. The highest number of accidents occurred in Nakhon Ratchasima at 51. The province also records the most deaths and injuries at 12 and 62, respectively. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-30

161 killed in “7 Dangerous Days” safety campaign

caraccident30-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents so far have claimed the lives of 161 people, and 1,390 injured in first three days of the 7-day campaign to lower fatalities from road mishaps.

According to the latest figures released by Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, 161 persons were killed and 1,390 injured in road accidents recorded nationwide in the first three days of the “7-day Dangerous Day” campaign.

Nakhon Ratchasima topped the highest fatalities with 12 deaths.

Drunk driving is again blamed as the cause of most road accidents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-30

Everyone seems to concentrate on the car/truck/bus deaths & accidents, but around 82% of the deaths/accidents involve motorcycles...probably drunk motorcycle drivers with no helmets zipping along a country road. I know for me here in western Bangkok I rarely see a serious vehicle accidents that obviously killed/hurt people...but I see plenty of minor to medium low speed rear end collisions because of the constant tailgating....I think most Thai's consider maintaining a couple of car length distances from the person in front of them as being a crime against humanity and they just don't do it. I still waiting for the day someone rear-ends my SUV...it's just a matter of time...came close many times already with people tailgating and not paying full attention.

I sure know when I'm driving around in the provinces on the back roads it's the land of motorcycles, no helmets, all age groups riding motorcycles with some of the age groups being young kids or really old folks...and I expect many have no license. And of course it's very common to see old motorcycles loaded down with a whole family of dad, mom, and a couple of kids...and of course none of them wearing helmets.

Since when did not wearing a helmet cause an accident?

Didn't read in the above that not wearing a helmet causes an accident. I assume the point was that the helmet law is routinely flouted and that the consequences of an unprotected head impacting the road or another vehicle are potentially catastrophic.

• Like 1

"Police are urged to arrest those who drink and drive, drive at high speed, or ride motorcycles without a helmet."

Is this a joke? Police are urged to do their jobs. Here's a thought....How about firing police who DON'T do their jobs?

Only kidding. Everyone knows that their job is to ignore traffic infractions and just collect holiday tea money. So the headline should read: "Police....Job Well Done"thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

An absolute disgrace and shows how stupid the people of this country are. Why have laws when they are just not enforced, that encourages these idiots to flout them. So get tough Thailand and increase the responsibilities of the police to take severe action.

I'm sad to say that if the law breakers have accidents and are injured of killed, then tough. My thoughts go out to the many law abiding innocents that are on the wrong end of the wasters causing the mindless accidents.

• Like 2

161 killed in “7 Dangerous Days” safety campaign

caraccident30-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents so far have claimed the lives of 161 people, and 1,390 injured in first three days of the 7-day campaign to lower fatalities from road mishaps.

According to the latest figures released by Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, 161 persons were killed and 1,390 injured in road accidents recorded nationwide in the first three days of the “7-day Dangerous Day” campaign.

Nakhon Ratchasima topped the highest fatalities with 12 deaths.

Drunk driving is again blamed as the cause of most road accidents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2013-12-30

The first 2 days 87 dead then on the 3rd day doubled to 161 .WoW a tremendous effort ....and still counting???

"Police are urged to arrest those who drink and drive, drive at high speed, or ride motorcycles without a helmet."

How about charge people for not wearing seat belts or talking on the phone while driving.

Maybe because not wearing a seat does not cause accidents! If they concentrated on stopping the cause maybe people would respect them for it.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to concentrate on the car/truck/bus deaths & accidents, but around 82% of the deaths/accidents involve motorcycles...probably drunk motorcycle drivers with no helmets zipping along a country road. I know for me here in western Bangkok I rarely see a serious vehicle accidents that obviously killed/hurt people...but I see plenty of minor to medium low speed rear end collisions because of the constant tailgating....I think most Thai's consider maintaining a couple of car length distances from the person in front of them as being a crime against humanity and they just don't do it. I still waiting for the day someone rear-ends my SUV...it's just a matter of time...came close many times already with people tailgating and not paying full attention.

I sure know when I'm driving around in the provinces on the back roads it's the land of motorcycles, no helmets, all age groups riding motorcycles with some of the age groups being young kids or really old folks...and I expect many have no license. And of course it's very common to see old motorcycles loaded down with a whole family of dad, mom, and a couple of kids...and of course none of them wearing helmets.

Since when did not wearing a helmet cause an accident?

Didn't read in the above that not wearing a helmet causes an accident. I assume the point was that the helmet law is routinely flouted and that the consequences of an unprotected head impacting the road or another vehicle are potentially catastrophic.

No, my point is, while it may offer some protection, wearing or not wearing has no cause towards an accident. The government / police should concentrate on the causes.