474 road accidents kill 86 in first 2 days of New Year holidays: Thailand

webfact

Numbers from Thai Government are pure fiction as they only count road deaths during the 7 Dangerous Days if the person died at the scene. So, there are probably 3-5 times as many dead than are being reported. For accidents, many, many are not reported.

there is shock, horror in Australia if the road toll goes beyond 20 for the christmas new year holidays, I think that australia has some of the toughest road rules and regulation in the world, not to mention the high cost of fines, the real chance of being pulled up for the booze bus, the good chance of loosing your car if over '05 , not wearing seat belts for all in car, using a mobile device in the car, speeding, bad or dangerous driving, the list goes on, you will never know where a booze bus is set up till your in the trap and cant skip it, there are so many Q cars, plain police cars your chances of being pulled over for any infraction, not wearing a helmet for motor or ordinary bike, children not secured in approved seats, car safety checks, random booze and drug tests, wide spread use of radar guns on main roads, speed tapes and cameras on main roads, being spotted by the police chopper and then to be pulled over by a motorcycle cop. it goes on and on and i even worry when i go out and carry out a full check before i even put the key in the start.. if your in the car with key in the ;ignition your deemed to be driving. they would never see like they do in thai and tell where car checks are taking place. when they get you they get you and the fines for example $185 using a phone, no seat belt the same, if your over the limit on booze or positive on drugs you loose your car for a few days, if your hooning around you loose your car,

i really dont think that any of these measures would happen in thai but it sure has worked here -

most reports coming from the thai government departs are pulp fiction, and not even the author of these reports believes what he is writing, perhaps the press do

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An absolute disgrace and shows how stupid the people of this country are. Why have laws when they are just not enforced, that encourages these idiots to flout them. So get tough Thailand and increase the responsibilities of the police to take severe action.

I'm sad to say that if the law breakers have accidents and are injured of killed, then tough. My thoughts go out to the many law abiding innocents that are on the wrong end of the wasters causing the mindless accidents.

Agree 100% with second paragraph - 'tough'. But not the first, for one reason. Before the breathalyser was introduced into the UK - and more and more people knew someone who had lost their driving-licence and thus often their livelihood - millions of drivers and riders sped about the place under the influence of alcohol (me included). So we were 'stupid'. When the 'bag' was introduced i remember well the absolute cacophony of protests coming from all sections of society - police included - because everyone loved their drives to their favourite boozers. So if we go back and look at the UK pre-breathalyser, we could call the people 'stupid' as you call Thais now. A large change in public behaviour always takes a combination of - education; campaigning; and PENALTIES - it worked in the UK, slowly, and it might work in Thailand IF there was ever a genuine push to enforce the laws and 'bag' millions of drivers a year. Personally, i won't live long enough to see it since there is not even the beginnings of the kind of enforcement needed here, but in the end i won't care, i'll be an ex-expat. Maybe a conclusion would be : it's better to call a population's behaviour Stupid, rather than brand them Stupid per se.

The article is frightening and sad of course. What is more frightening and sad are the crude, bigoted and hateful comments by some of the readers/posters.

From their comments, they appear to be the ultimate authority of all things Thai, experts of highway/road safety, accident statisticians, motorcycle repair technicians, soothsayers, inebriates, political science majors and know-all-see-all gurus. Some seem to be able to be able to discern the truth from a mere printed article, even though their knowledge and expertise about the subject is yet to be established.

I believe these hate-mongers represent a minority of readers. The silent majority,I would guess, may only shake their heads after reading some of the juvenile, hateful and speculative postings.

How do you come to the conclusion that anonymous critical posts are more frightening and sad than the OP road toll of deaths and injuries? Also roughly one in six vehicles checked required some reported action by the police against the owner/driver.

Re-read please. The answer is there.

Not trying to be argumentative, but still don't get why overly negative posts on TV regarding Thai drivers is worse than the estimated 26,000 road deaths p.a. in Thailand.

Please forgive my lack of comprehension, if you can be bothered care to clarify?

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

161 killed in “7 Dangerous Days” safety campaign

caraccident30-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents so far have claimed the lives of 161 people, and 1,390 injured in first three days of the 7-day campaign to lower fatalities from road mishaps.

According to the latest figures released by Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, 161 persons were killed and 1,390 injured in road accidents recorded nationwide in the first three days of the “7-day Dangerous Day” campaign.

Nakhon Ratchasima topped the highest fatalities with 12 deaths.

Drunk driving is again blamed as the cause of most road accidents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2013-12-30

The first 2 days 87 dead then on the 3rd day doubled to 161 .WoW a tremendous effort ....and still counting???

one thing it is a good day for the finances of the wats a lot of creminations

161 killed in “7 Dangerous Days” safety campaign

caraccident30-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents so far have claimed the lives of 161 people, and 1,390 injured in first three days of the 7-day campaign to lower fatalities from road mishaps.

According to the latest figures released by Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, 161 persons were killed and 1,390 injured in road accidents recorded nationwide in the first three days of the “7-day Dangerous Day” campaign.

Nakhon Ratchasima topped the highest fatalities with 12 deaths.

Drunk driving is again blamed as the cause of most road accidents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2013-12-30

The first 2 days 87 dead then on the 3rd day doubled to 161 .WoW a tremendous effort ....and still counting???

one thing it is a good day for the finances of the wats a lot of creminations

I am sure there will be lots of "recriminations" by the families of the deceased while they mourn their losses at the funeral "cremations".

"Police are urged to arrest those who drink and drive, drive at high speed, or ride motorcycles without a helmet."

How about charge people for not wearing seat belts or talking on the phone while driving.

You gotta be kidding, are you?

I was on a bus last night North/East, bus even overtook a police vehicle - speeding at around 130-140km/h

Driver fell asleep and almost off the road.

From 2am till 6am I kept talking to him, to keep his eyes up and speed down.

He din to comply to my request to pull over and take a nap, at least for 30 minutes, and kept driving.

I was the only farang ont the bus, other Thai I asked for help to make the driver understand, just laughed.

I guess it's some kinda fun for this folk to DIE ON THAI ROADS. will that turn them into heros?

Think I make it up?

I took some footage, which I will upload, should I make it back home, alive!

It's pathetic!

Maybe because not wearing a seat does not cause accidents! If they concentrated on stopping the cause maybe people would respect them for it.

Oh yes it can cause an accident!

The driver will stay longer in control of the vehicle during an accident if he is belted up.

I said not wearing a seat belt does not cause accidents, nothing about would it help in an accident or not.

Maybe because not wearing a seat does not cause accidents! If they concentrated on stopping the cause maybe people would respect them for it.

Oh yes it can cause an accident!

The driver will stay longer in control of the vehicle during an accident if he is belted up.

I said not wearing a seat belt does not cause accidents, nothing about would it help in an accident or not.

There once was a man named Lodge

Who had seat belts installed in his Dodge

When his date was strapped in

He committed a sin

Without even leaving the garage

Happy New Year 2014, TVF* Team and innocent bystanders (or sitters)

* - Thai Visa Forensics

Edited by MaxYakov

For comparisons of annual imporvements in traffice accident death rates.

Bear in mind the different reporting system around 2007 and the propensity to not count a death in the hospital following and as a result of an accident, though I am not sure how widespread that lack of reporting is.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

The stats quoted were proven to be completely under reported by the announcement in 03/2013 by the Interior Ministry that there were 26,000 roads deaths in 2010 and this figure is closer to the annual reality. Do not know if there is a downward trend in the real numbers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

For comparisons of annual imporvements in traffice accident death rates.

Bear in mind the different reporting system around 2007 and the propensity to not count a death in the hospital following and as a result of an accident, though I am not sure how widespread that lack of reporting is.

http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

The stats quoted were proven to be completely under reported by the announcement in 03/2013 by the Interior Ministry that there were 26,000 roads deaths in 2010 and this figure is closer to the annual reality. Do not know if there is a downward trend in the real numbers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

Sheesh --- 26,000 vs 8,000 takes Thailand to the top of the hub of over/under-statments blink.png