Are we maids destined to be treated unfairly?

justicia

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding that the labor department does not check if you have a work permit or not. They treat all people working in Thailand the same. Besides you could always say the woman who hired you was going to help you get a work permit and never did if they ask. Her word against yours. I would contact them and file a complaint. Give them all the information you have. They will decide if they can help you or not.

Did you have a contract? Next time ask for one or have witness's. Check with the neighbors and see if anyone will help verify that you worked for her. Doesn't hurt to try. Maybe they don't like her for her actions.

Thank you sir/ma'am for your great advice.

I am afraid that if I complain without a work permit, there is more problem than getting good.

I have her complete name but I don't know if I am allowed to post it here. Also her address and names of children.

I got no contract. My older brother, who has been working here, wanted to accompany me when I went for interview but I hesitated so witness is my problem.

My brother who is also seeking justice for me, argued with my boss just last night and they exchanged text messages.

In her message,which my brother kept, it is understood that I worked for them because it is said there that she provided me accommodations, food and money.

She gave me 200 Baht when I went to attend our bible study.

I am sure that with her attitude towards others, she doesn't have any friends.

As stated previously the DOL are not really interested in whether you have a WP or not, if you are worried maybe get your husband to talk to the DOL initially, having a thai speaker with him who understands your circumstances would be helpful as well

Your previous employer appears to have broken a few labour laws ie incorrect termination as well as not paying you

You should not be contacting your ex employer anymore, your next step after the holiday is to lodge a complaint with the DOL

• Like 2

It is totally wrong you did not get paid.

Fortunately the labor court will not worry too much about work permit issues.

Only you can decide if working without a permit is worth the risk,.

Your English is excellent and I would rather have my nieces taught english by someone like you than many of the so called English Teachers here.

Thanks sir harry for the comment

I put in my ads here in thaivisa that I can speak English and Chinese.

It is one of my boss reasons for not giving my salary because I did not teach Chinese to her children.

But we did not talked of that as my additional job to her although I taught sometimes.

It is my understanding that the labor department does not check if you have a work permit or not. They treat all people working in Thailand the same. Besides you could always say the woman who hired you was going to help you get a work permit and never did if they ask. Her word against yours. I would contact them and file a complaint. Give them all the information you have. They will decide if they can help you or not.

Did you have a contract? Next time ask for one or have witness's. Check with the neighbors and see if anyone will help verify that you worked for her. Doesn't hurt to try. Maybe they don't like her for her actions.

I am afraid that if I complain without a work permit, there is more problem than getting good.

I have her complete name but I don't know if I am allowed to post it here. Also her address and names of children.

I got no contract. My older brother, who has been working here, wanted to accompany me when I went for interview but I hesitated so witness is my problem.

My brother who is also seeking justice for me, argued with my boss just last night and they exchanged text messages.

In her message,which my brother kept, it is understood that I worked for them because it is said there that she provided me accommodations, food and money.

As stated previously the DOL are not really interested in whether you have a WP or not, if you are worried maybe get your husband to talk to the DOL initially, having a thai speaker with him who understands your circumstances would be helpful as well

Your previous employer appears to have broken a few labour laws ie incorrect termination as well as not paying you

You should not be contacting your ex employer anymore, your next step after the holiday is to lodge a complaint with the DOL

thank you again sir for your great advice.

but honestly, even if I am asking advice here, I still feel afraid to complain as you know I did work illegally.

I am still single so no husband to help me. But my brother has been here for 9 years with work permit but he said he never experienced to complain.

But he is the one aggressive and quarreled with my boss' husband in the phone just last night.

My brother is nicer when a person is good. But he said that he picked up the call of my boss' husband with an angry opening so what should he do?

I did not mention, my brother also sent sms to my boss begging to give my salary. But his beg was answered by a yelling voice of the husband.

not one post here saying you to get a work permit

which all foreign persons wanting work in thailand need

its not right you didnt get paid for the work that you did

however you are breaking the law also so you have very little chance of getting anything

get a work permit next time before commencing work and as others have advised

get paid weekly , then most you can loose is a weeks salary

good luck

if you arrive on samui ive a job for you [when you are legal

• Like 1

thank you again sir for your great advice.

but honestly, even if I am asking advice here, I still feel afraid to complain as you know I did work illegally.

I am still single so no husband to help me. But my brother has been here for 9 years with work permit but he said he never experienced to complain.

But he is the one aggressive and quarreled with my boss' husband in the phone just last night.

My brother is nicer when a person is good. But he said that he picked up the call of my boss' husband with an angry opening so what should he do?

I did not mention, my brother also sent sms to my boss begging to give my salary. But his beg was answered by a yelling voice of the husband.

My mistake, I actually meant your brother, as I understand he has a WP ?.....therefore he could go to the DOL and discuss your labour issues obviously not mentioning he is your brother and tell them you are scared to lodge the complaint because you don't have a WP and this way you will get a direct answer from them without you being there and this will give you piece of mind that you are not going to get into trouble with the DOL

Honestly putting a complaint in with the DOL is the only real chance you will have to get your money, also in taking your case the UK lady could also get fined for not providing a WP by the DOL, so she would taught a lesson as well

• Like 1

however you are breaking the law also so you have very little chance of getting anything

good luck

Seeing as WP is employer based, the onus is on the employer to provide a WP, of course the employee shouldn't work without one either

Seeing as you state " when you get legal" you have a job for her, you obviously don't know how the system works

• Like 2

good luck

Thank you for the nice comment, sir.

What I know is that my employer should be the one to provide work permit?

Yes, that's why I am afraid to complain because of no work permit although some here have encouraged me to

I don't know samui, sir. I just arrived here 3rd week of October

My mistake, I actually meant your brother, as I understand he has a WP ?.....therefore he could go to the DOL and discuss your labour issues obviously not mentioning he is your brother and tell them you are scared to lodge the complaint because you don't have a WP and this way you will get a direct answer from them without you being there and this will give you piece of mind that you are not going to get into trouble with the DOL

Honestly putting a complaint in with the DOL is the only real chance you will have to get your money, also in taking your case the UK lady could also get fined for not providing a WP by the DOL, so she would taught a lesson as well

Yes, my brother has a work permit.

If my brother will do your advice, he is my witness.

In his saved text messages, my boss' husband stated that "your sister did not work properly...etc.

How will he pretend to DOL that he is not my brother when he will show that message as an evidence that I worked with them.

By the way, my boss denied that I worked with her at first.

Later, she said that she will tell anybody that she fired me because I am lazy.

I challenged her to put camera in her house so that she could see what I was doing. But I know that all her allegations are just fabricated ones so she had reasons not to pay me.

I really feel bad, I am denied with my small salary. She should have fired me when I had 1 week if I was really that lazy.

Edited by justicia

I personally know the poster here and I can say she is one of the most honest and humble person I know.

She is not ashamed to tell anybody about her work (maid!).

She is so Godly person that even if she has just few Bahts left

for bus fares, she tries to attend their bible study meetings every Tuesdays and Sundays and go preaching when she is available.

This woman is already indebted to her friends as she has to go to Cambodia every 15 days.

Her friends ask her to iron their laundries and will give her money. She said she could have paid her friends

if she received her one month salary.

She said, God will not abandon her. She has a strong faith to God

With your excellent English ability, you should be able to get a much better paying job than being a maid.

If you need a work permit, which country are you from?

Sorry for your problem. There are some evil people in the world.

• Like 1

I personally know the poster here and I can say she is one of the most honest and humble person I know.

for bus fares, she tries to attend their bible study meetings every Tuesdays and Sundays and go preaching when she is available.

This woman is already indebted to her friends as she has to go to Cambodia every 15 days.

Her friends ask her to iron their laundries and will give her money. She said she could have paid her friends

ROFL!!!!

Seems the OP is using this as an opportunity and sympathy leverage to obtain another position.

Just in case the OP has that plan like in your dirty mind, are you that selfish not to give her opportunity for just a maid job? She is not scamming here like you, I believe.

She will do labor in exchange of money!

ROFL!!!!

What do you mean by that william...?

Can a woman from the UK obtain a work permit for a Filipino employee in Thailand?

good question. If not, it is tantamount to say that they should not employ because it is illegal to employ without providing a work permit.

sounds like a scam going down somewhere (about to go down somewhere). too polished.

</my2cents>

who are you referring to a scam here? Is it the poster?

I think the employer. By this time, I am sure she has again new maids and later fire them because they don't do their job and will not pay them.

Anyway, so many people looking for nannies and maids job

ROFL!!!!

Well DGIE, I'm not as humble as your humble friend here ;_; , I used to work as a Shoe Polisher , (SHOE POLISHER!)

I used to cry every night. I even used to cut my self. It was so embarrassing.

You must not worry about me. Ive been elevated up to a beggar. I read quotes from this big black book and hold out my hand for money.

One day I hope to be a politician. People will have no choice. If they don't pay me they will be thrown in a cage.

The worst thing Ive ever done in my life was to tell a starving person to go fishing!! The starving man spat on the ground cursing me. I hope he is ok...

Will i go to hell??

• Like 1

Some idiotic, curmudgeonly comments here. Some of the best native Thai speakers I know happen to work as nannies in Bangkok, often for the diplomatic set or NGO's . They draw down good salaries and pick and choose their jobs, often going back to Europe or the USA with the families for extended periods which further improves their English. Obviously the OP being Filipino will have good language skills and her work opportunities are limited, no doubt she is capable of better work but getting it is another thing altogether.

• Like 1

ROFL!!!!

Well DGIE, I'm not as humble as your humble friend here ;_; , I used to work as a Shoe Polisher , (SHOE POLISHER!)

I used to cry every night. I even used to cut my self. It was so embarrassing.

You must not worry about me. Ive been elevated up to a beggar. I read quotes from this big black book and hold out my hand for money.

One day I hope to be a politician. People will have no choice. If they don't pay me they will be thrown in a cage.

The worst thing Ive ever done in my life was to tell a starving person to go fishing!! The starving man spat on the ground cursing me. I hope he is ok...

Will i go to hell??

great story!

and I agree especially when you told the starving person to go fishing!!

About your question if you go to hell, I don't know about that. Only you know yourself

Some idiotic, curmudgeonly comments here. Some of the best native Thai speakers I know happen to work as nannies in Bangkok, often for the diplomatic set or NGO's . They draw down good salaries and pick and choose their jobs, often going back to Europe or the USA with the families for extended periods which further improves their English. Obviously the OP being Filipino will have good language skills and her work opportunities are limited, no doubt she is capable of better work but getting it is another thing altogether.

You are right!

There are now many Thais who can speak fluent English and can do the accent of their teachers. If those negative commentators here saw Ruamrudee International School (and other international schools) and see how students even in grades level speak English.

The OP had worked as maid for English people and mingles with many other English people around the world in their religion. So she improves her English aside from what she learnt in her own education.

So we must not underestimate other people's ability to speak English especially just because they are maids or nannies

You are right!

There are now many Thais who can speak fluent English and can do the accent of their teachers. If those negative commentators here saw Ruamrudee International School (and other international schools) and see how students even in grades level speak English.

The OP had worked as maid for English people and mingles with many other English people around the world in their religion. So she improves her English aside from what she learnt in her own education.

So we must not underestimate other people's ability to speak English especially just because they are maids or nannies

If i have to guess, you are trying to spread Christianity , I guess Justicia stepped on too many toes in the house hold with her strong christian opinion.

The scary thing about this is!

you are now looking for advise on how to use the Violence of the state to go after her former employer

You made a loss, your contractual agreement was not sound if any agreement was made at all. Learn from it and get a new job.

Many people here have made dumb mistakes and lost money, you have to learn from mistakes! then you can defend from this.

You are right!

If i have to guess, you are trying to spread Christianity , I guess Justicia stepped on too many toes in the house hold with her strong christian opinion.

you are now looking for advise on how to use the Violence of the state to go after her former employer

You made a loss, your contractual agreement was not sound if any agreement was made at all. Learn from it and get a new job.

Many people here have made dumb mistakes and lost money, you have to learn from mistakes! then you can defend from this.

And if I had to guess then my money is on the fact her ex employer wouldn't recognise a Christian belief if it bit her on the bum. Probably not into Buddhist Karma either.

Edited by roamer

You are right!

And if I had to guess then my money is on the fact her ex employer wouldn't recognise a Christian belief if it bit her on the bum. Probably not into Buddhist Karma either.

The Job was a maid not to spread the gospel. I would like to hear the employers side of the story.