Chicago Boystown best gay neighborhood in the world?

Jingthing

http://www.outtraveler.com/best-travel/out-traveler-awards-2013/2013/11/08/out-traveler-awards-time-vote?page=0,13

http://www.outtraveler.com/best-travel/out-traveler-awards-2013/2014/01/01/out-traveler-award-winner-incomparable-gay

Incomparable Gay Neighborhood: BOYSTOWN (CHICAGO)
Runner-up: The Mission (San Francisco)

Are you surprised? Chicago's sizeable and friendly LGBT neighborhood, referred to as "Boystown" (and sometimes "Wrigleyville"), was voted best gay neighborhood in the world, beating areas in other cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Barcelona, and Madrid. Chicago's Boystown, centered around Halsted Street, was the nation's first officially-recognized gay village in the U.S. and is the home to a large Pride celebration, as well as Market Days, an unrivaled August street party. The neighborhood has everything you could want: bars, clubs, restaurants, architecture, walkability, its own El stop, and now marriage equality (Illinois legalized same-sex unions in 2012). It also seems more welcoming than some other gayborhoods that shall remain nameless. On the horizon: a remodeling of the famous Hydrate nightclub, an LGBT-inclusive comedy festival, and agay-themed hotel.

Incomparable Gay Neighborhood
What gayborhood has you coming back for more?

Boystown (Chicago)

Boystown (West Hollywood/Los Angeles)

Chueca (Madrid)

Eixample (Barcelona)

The Mission (San Francisco)

Well it is so according to Out Traveler readers. I've lived in two of the five contenders, and been to all five. I think they picked well! The one I like the least, BY FAR, is the L.A. one! Ugh! Just too much superficiality for words.

What neighborhoods in THAILAND, IF ANY, can be considered gay neighborhoods in the sense of the type of neighborhoods in the list? The Thailand gay areas seem to be more about NIGHTLIFE ZONES only, or am I wrong?

What are some other international gay neighborhoods that are worthy of the finalists list? I would consider Montreal's Gay Village.

Edited by Jingthing

Makes me proud as a native Chicagoan. Unfortunately nothing remotely like it existed back in the dark ages when I lived there.

One slight disadvantage for Chicago when compared to some of the other cited neighborhoods is illustrated below.

1220-BLIZZARD-MIDWEST-SNOW_full_600.jpg

Good to hear about Chicago, I haven't been there for about 25 years now. Must check it out.

The reason no Thai city is mentioned may be that this is about living in these cities, rather than coming for vacation. Except for maybe the bar owners, I don't think that anybody actually lives in Pattaya's Boys Town, and maybe not even them. In Thailand (OK, let me rephrase that: in Bangkok) you can live almost anywhere as a gay person, there is no need for a limited area of concentration.

I think the general area and surroundings of Jomtien Complex may technically make the grade as a gay neighborhood with the critical mass of nightlife, restaurants, retail, narrow range of entertainment, AND residents, Thai and expats. I totally agree just a mostly nightlife zone doesn't a gay neighborhood make.

Edited by Jingthing

So, how does an area make it into the list? Do we have to propose it to a committee?

I think a mention in Spartacus qualifies.

Thanks for your thoughts. I wonder whether anyone knows, though.

Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I reckon the finalists list is decided by Out Traveler's EDITORS. Their staff and writers travel a lot so at least they have informed opinions with wider exposure to the choices than the average person. Then they open the list to vote. Then the winner is selected. They have several categories of such contests. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Like Chicago is a big city so probably lots of Chicagoans voted for it just out of home town pride.

Edited by Jingthing