thb falling vs other currencies

ultimate weapon

My point was that the fact that fracking and other new fossil-fuel extraction methods poison our groundwater can be seen as a positive side-effect from a strictly capitalist economic POV, an excellent example of the disconnect between public good and economic growth.

If you understood the geology of fracking, you would not be concerned. There is little to no chance of poisoning ground water. Just more fear tactics from the ecological movements.

Um... your drilling directly through the water table and relying on cement poured directly into flowback to harden free of leak. Then you're assuming that the whole shaft outside of the pipe and casing is gonna secure the flowback outside the casing as it makes it's way up towards the water table. Then you're assuming that the shaft and casing that resides in the 40 degree temperature inversion of the actual water table, that such infrastructure travels through, will hold up to that never B4 tested condition. Geology? Really? conservatives.... diddoheads.

• Like 1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pah....£ took a tumble yesterday.

Did someone prod Merv King with a stick!

Why should anyone prod him,he hasn't been the Governer of BOE for sometime!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20501990

Does nobody here read the rest of a thread to see what transpired before they reply to an older post?

For the 24th time I do know that.

It is humour...along the lines of 'every time he used to open his mouth'......

The new guy hasn't the same reputation.

Also the fact that he is 'retired' and put to in a cage goes along with the prodding idea!.

My point was that the fact that fracking and other new fossil-fuel extraction methods poison our groundwater can be seen as a positive side-effect from a strictly capitalist economic POV, an excellent example of the disconnect between public good and economic growth.

If you understood the geology of fracking, you would not be concerned. There is little to no chance of poisoning ground water. Just more fear tactics from the ecological movements.

Um... your drilling directly through the water table and relying on cement poured directly into flowback to harden free of leak. Then you're assuming that the whole shaft outside of the pipe and casing is gonna secure the flowback outside the casing as it makes it's way up towards the water table. Then you're assuming that the shaft and casing that resides in the 40 degree temperature inversion of the actual water table, that such infrastructure travels through, will hold up to that never B4 tested condition. Geology? Really? conservatives.... diddoheads.

I guess you've never heard of directional drilling.

Since you're an expert, cite one case where what you claim has happened.

Edited by Loptr

Ya right. I'm betting your living comes from some aspect of the petro biz?

Of course it does. Why do you think I have knowledge of such things without wild innuendo, speculation and hyperbole?

• Like 1

I expected the baht to slip further against the £ today as a result of the demonstrations which havereached the new level.

I note that it is gaining very slightly and assume that it is being artificially supported by currency purchases in order to shield against the impact of the current state of affairs.

For how long can this be done? Any experts?

I'm returning in a week and every little helps, whilst it is the only positive thing amidst the current uncertainty.

I'm looking for GBP/USD to continue downwards, simply, GBP is too strong at present. Am also looking for some of that down swing to be reflected in GBP/THB. I can't see that BOT is intervening or not, will be able to see if that's the case in about one weeks time when BOT reports.

About 1.1%

How much in the past two weeks?

You seem like an expert. So what has it done in the past two weeks? Been a big political turmoil has the baht moved much? So ya all think it is Thai politics that pushes the baht eh? And not the US dollar?

The baht has lost about 1.5% against the ringgit in the last month.

SC

Now now, THB/MYR was 0.0987 on 16th December, today, 14 January it's 0.0986, perhaps you mean that it has lost 0.0015% of it's value! TLT is correct,.

Edited by chiang mai

The euro has gained more than 5 baht in the reasoned weeks, what is good for the expatriates will be a disaster for the industry as many loans are in hard currencies. Including government bond etc. the impact for Thailand could be a higher inflation rate.

Edited by blabth

The euro has gained more than 5 baht in the reasoned weeks, what is good for the expatriates will be a disaster for the industry as many loans are in hard currencies. Including government bond etc. the impact for Thailand could be a higher inflation rate.

Recent weeks one assumes 4 or less weeks. 1 Euro. 9 months ago well that's another story.

Weeks is weeks and months is months and years is years.

Thai government has zero debt in "hard" currency and to find corporate debt not denominated in THB one needs a magnifying glass.

• Like 2

About 1.1%

You seem like an expert. So what has it done in the past two weeks? Been a big political turmoil has the baht moved much? So ya all think it is Thai politics that pushes the baht eh? And not the US dollar?

SC

Now now, THB/MYR was 0.0987 on 16th December, today, 14 January it's 0.0986, perhaps you mean that it has lost 0.0015% of it's value! TLT is correct,.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=MYR&to=THB&view=1M

post-60794-0-36773300-1389669547_thumb.j

Edited by StreetCowboy

for the record: THB gained vs. virtually all currencies inspite of Khun Suthep's "shutdown".

Careful, Naam, you're introducing actual facts into the argument. This will surely confuse the typical Thai-bashing nutjob.

mea culpa! i was shooting from the hip. can't find my reading glasses and that's why i must have mixed up the exchange rates.

perhaps USD THB is not 32.70 but 37.20? unsure.png

I expected the baht to slip further against the £ today as a result of the demonstrations which havereached the new level.

I note that it is gaining very slightly and assume that it is being artificially supported by currency purchases in order to shield against the impact of the current state of affairs.

For how long can this be done? Any experts?

I'm returning in a week and every little helps, whilst it is the only positive thing amidst the current uncertainty.

Speculation rather than expertise: It bounced a little again today. I doubt this has anything to do with govt intervention ( more probable on the less than anticipated turnout for protests..and no violence). The current govt does not want to see a stronger Baht ( nor does it want it to collapse, obviously). I doubt that there will be much movement either way...the greater chance of volatility is the GBP....way over where the UK govt would like it to be).but that is not going to change in a week. IMHO

for the record: THB gained vs. virtually all currencies inspite of Khun Suthep's "shutdown".

I put it to you that the losses over the last month were due to concerns about the shutdown, and any recovery today and yesterday is because things did not go as badly as feared.

SC

I put it to you that the losses over the last month were due to concerns about the shutdown, and any recovery today and yesterday is because things did not go as badly as feared.

SC

About 1.1%

SC

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=MYR&to=THB&view=1M

attachicon.gifTHB per MYR.jpg

Interesting that both our sets of figures are correct, according to Oanda!!!

http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/

Check THB/MYR and then check MYR/THB, seriously odd.

Interesting that both our sets of figures are correct, according to Oanda!!!

http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/

Check THB/MYR and then check MYR/THB, seriously odd.

Interesting.

The anomaly seems to be in the data for MYR per THB in mid-December

post-60794-0-05156100-1389696442_thumb.j

the XE site gives consistent data both ways.

A reminder that even trustworthy sites can have misleading data, for whatever reason - probably because we don't understand exactly what we're looking at....

SC

SC

I think the first part is probably true but I'm less certain about the second part, I think the latter is a function of Pound Dollar but I haven't bothered yet to look at things since I'm still on hols - my earlier peek suggested that GBP was weakening against USD which is well needed and appropriate (for the UK economy).

SC

I think the first part is probably true but I'm less certain about the second part, I think the latter is a function of Pound Dollar but I haven't bothered yet to look at things since I'm still on hols - my earlier peek suggested that GBP was weakening against USD which is well needed and appropriate (for the UK economy).

I was using the MYR / THB exchange rate again as my source of data.

Personally, I am surprised that the baht recovered so quickly, since even if nothing happened yesterday and so far today, I still don/t see how the end is going to pan out.

SC

SC

I was using the MYR / THB exchange rate again as my source of data.

Personally, I am surprised that the baht recovered so quickly, since even if nothing happened yesterday and so far today, I still don/t see how the end is going to pan out.

SC

Poster "Alfiecon" will get upset for this but yes, you need to watch GBP/USD GBP is overvalued.

Also, where will this end up? Those who are seeking a "perfect storm" or a rate of 60/70, good luck with that wish!

Edited by chiang mai

Does nobody here read the rest of a thread to see what transpired before they reply to an older post?

Also the fact that he is 'retired' and put to in a cage goes along with the prodding idea!.

I blame Thatcher.

I blame Thatcher.

You would not be the first.

• 1 month later...

Dollar was 32.14 TT rate on December 18. Today it is 32.86 TT rate.

I don't consider that a big change. If I sent over $1000 US, I would gain an extra 720 baht.

32.47 TT rate today.

Holding pretty steady against the US dollar

quote "Time to go shopping!."

Julia Roberts to haughty shop assistants on Rodeo Drive, who would not serve her the previous day in her hooker outfit.

Now it's my turn, BTW Baht to GBP about 90 for a while during a previous crisis, or did I just dream that.?