Tax On Secondhand Cars Will Raise 30 Billions

Lite Beer

Increasing taxes on everything, they have no choice, PTPs lack of any trace of a fiscal policy has driven up prices on booze, cigarettes, propane gas, food, restaurant meals and nearly everything else. Those of you who think the dealers are going to pay the tax are fooling your selves, the consumer always pays.

Hardly. Why on earth should 2hnd car dealers be ignored more than anyone else. Reality is, the only people guaranteed to pay taxes in thailand are honest salaried. There are only 3mn income tax payers in this country and they pay a higher rate than most in the region.

Cutting out all of these loopholes might allow for a more equitable split in other taxes. These evaders are a scourge on the country. If everyone paid their taxes the thai government wouldn't know what to do with their money.

Exactly.

And if they succeed they should go after used motorcycle dealers and following that go after any business that is evading tax. It is called fairness.

However TAH I'm sure that the government would find a way wink.png to use the money.

Thats the next problem

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"He added that the department will imitate the British Used Car taxation system, and will cooperate with the Department of Land Transport in evaluating the used car price and tax calculations."

As far as i'm aware the is NO specific tax on the sale of 2nd hand vehicles in Britain (UK)

I did find this on the net though.....about British Colombia !!!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/used-car-tax-will-not-drop-to-pre-hst-levels-1.1352334

So either the journalist got it wrong or our esteemed customs guy doesn't know his arse from his elbow.. and just think all this to pay for mountains of rice.

• Like 2

Besides the inflated price of a used car, you have the issue of the vehicle being poorly maintained. Preventative maintenance in Thailand? This extends to everything in LOS. Don't fix it till it breaks.

You mean scrap value. Because that's all they're good for. The heap.

Just picked up a one-owner 2001 with not a mark on it - inside, outside, top, bottom.

Low mileage - looks and runs like new.

For less than 20% of the cost of a cookie-cutter new eco-car.

First death, now taxes.... how about a tax on stupid decisions? That would be a goldmine! I don't know if it is called VAT, but now most things you buy have that 7% figured in.... good way to keep the rich happy and make the poor foot the bill.

• Like 1

Actually I hate that they raise taxes but its unfair that only salary people pay taxes. The more people they tax the fairer it is and the more people will protest if the taxes are squandered with corrupt practices.

So please don't stop here.

Then again, by taxing more people prices will raise of course (im pretty sure people want to keep the same income)

Actually I hate that they raise taxes but its unfair that only salary people pay taxes. The more people they tax the fairer it is and the more people will protest if the taxes are squandered with corrupt practices.

Then again, by taxing more people prices will raise of course (im pretty sure people want to keep the same income)

Exactly. I am all for entrepreneurs but the country goes nowhere if no one pays taxes. Aside from being illegal we can't moan about the roads hospitals or schools if just about everyone evades tax.

I used to go to the chamber of commerce up country and the assembled wealth with their mercs was series wonga. A mate of my sons had a hardware store with 5 BMWs and 4 houses.

It was a standing joke about not paying any tax.

• Like 1

You mean scrap value. Because that's all they're good for. The heap.

Just picked up a one-owner 2001 with not a mark on it - inside, outside, top, bottom.

Low mileage - looks and runs like new.

For less than 20% of the cost of a cookie-cutter new eco-car.

Are used prices here falling?

Did that in Blighty. 2004 Passat 130 TDI, 38k miles, mint, fVWsh, £3k. It's great!

Why on Earth aren't these businesses already in the tax-collecting system ? blink.png

I agree that this country would be far better off if all businesses, employers, employees, etc., were assessed for personal income tax, with the appropriate baseline tax-free allowance being applied.

What I don't understand is how a caretaker government is proposing to initiate new policies. The role of a caretaker government is to keep things moving along until a new government is put in place. It has no mandate whatsoever to propose new policies...!!

• Like 2

I find this country to be is a state of confusion, they never know what one hand Is doing while the other contradicts it. There are so many ways this country can do things right in order to have a much better run systems, like taking care of existing and new business and helping them grow since they are one of the main staples of tax revenue and employment creators . But instead, they make it very difficult to open a new business and for those with existing business to make it easier to run them, but no, the system makes it hard for business to run smoothly by creating means of needless paperwork and even as simple as having business deduct expenses by having purchase receipts to be redone by a secondary accounting system in stores thus not only wasting time and having additional expense for both the purchaser and the store.

If the systems wants to be fair, every business must do its share of being a tax contributor, unfortunately there seems to be a blind eye going around by ignoring the non registered business that are found everywhere, such as restaurants, street vendors. But this can only work is the system is applied correctly and followed up with true, intelligent diligence.

Other means of providing real and extreme revenue is by having the police to do their job they are meant to be, such as actually being on the streets and taking care of the people whom are paying their salaries, by stopping and ticketing endless traffic violations at every level since the lack of doing so, is why the Thai people don't understand the simplest traffic rules conduct and respect to others. Having just these simple asks, everybody wins, the country becomes safer, higher influx of funds enter the system, higher wages and less problems are avoided.

The other unfortunate account s the ridiculous government system in which is turmoil, where no one trust no one, that is why this country thus not find any peace and tranquility, but I will not go into this, since I will not stop.

I care for this country and do try to follow the intricate and ever confusion rules and the every changing regulations that seems to take us going around in circles. I just hope the system finds a clear and simple path for a better tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Did that in Blighty. 2004 Passat 130 TDI, 38k miles, mint, fVWsh, £3k. It's great!

Just got lucky - sounds like you did too !!

Right place - right time.

Edited by seedy

Just got lucky - sounds like you did too !!

Just right place - right time.

Would you believe, ebay! A dealer too.

Was riding my bike by the lot, lady was washing it.

Looked good so I stopped, looked it over, short test drive, deposit, came back Monday to pick up the blue book in my name.

One in a million - very happy with it.

The VAT here is an across the board tax so all Thai's and everyone else living here pay this tax. The poor farmer pays the same VAT on goods as the rich Hiso, office worker, hotel cleaner etc. So in reality, as a percentage of his/her disposable income, is probably paying more tax. Others posters on TVf accuse the Isaan farmers and others of not paying their fair share but in reality its the middle men and above who are milking the system same as the rest of the planet.

• Like 1

another idea that wont see the light of day,...........

Yes how many of these are the ones reclaimed for broken contract payment agreements .???( government scheme). What GMAC said was true, I have seen here a Nissan March 1 year old same price than a new one, Why is this cause certain models there is a 3 month ORDER wait list. Taxing the second hand car will be as GMAC stated dearer than a new one.

Many years ago I looked for a second hand motorbike for the wife to do errands on. Lets say a new bike was B35,000. The same should would have a used bike with 20,000 kms on it needing new tires for say B30,000. I asked the owner how this can be and she told me used bike low down payment so Thais can buy more easy. Thats the way they sell the used bikes at almost new prices.

The VAT here is an across the board tax so all Thai's and everyone else living here pay this tax. The poor farmer pays the same VAT on goods as the rich Hiso, office worker, hotel cleaner etc. So in reality, as a percentage of his/her disposable income, is probably paying more tax. Others posters on TVf accuse the Isaan farmers and others of not paying their fair share but in reality its the middle men and above who are milking the system same as the rest of the planet.

There are hundreds of thousands of businesses in this country who don't pay VAT or profit tax.

I have not tried to get a vat receipt from my somtaam seller but to claim that the rich and poor pay vat equally I thailand is nonsense.

One way to get something in again after the fabulous tax rebate scheme have put a lot of new cars on the second-hand market!

Great, so the person who bought new got tax relief.

The person who bought used, pays tax.

How does that help the poor?

Tax collection in Thailand....

Thailand has a population of around 70 million. According to the National Statistics Office, the 20-and-over workforce comprises about 38 million people. But the Revenue Department only has approximately

10 million people registered to pay income tax. Of these, around 6.87 million do not have to pay because their annual income is less than 150,000 baht per year. So that leaves a little...

little more than three million people actually paying income tax. Some of us do not pay as high a percentage of our income as others, but at least we pay. If you're one of the three million who give 5%...

5% to 35% of your monthly pay cheque for the greater glory of our beloved Kingdom of Thailand, please stand up for your rights and demand equality! There are many problems with Thai democracy. For starters,...

For starters, when the system is not administered equally, how can we expect equality? How can our democracy be healthy? The Revenue Department announced plans to collect 1.7 trillion baht in income tax...

The Revenue Department announced plans to collect 1.7 trillion baht in income tax between October, 2012, and September, 2013 and that's from only a little more than three million people _ 8% of the workforce... 8% of the workforce and 4% of the total population.

• Like 1

Why on Earth aren't these businesses already in the tax-collecting system ? blink.png

Why go through all the bureaucracy of "putting these businesses in the system?" The solution to collecting tax on used car sales is simple. Whenever anybody goes to the DMV for a name change on the car they pay the tax based on a "scheduled value," regardless of what was actually paid. California has been doing it this way for more than 50 years, an it really sucks for the poor stiff who buys the used car. Just no way to escape it unless you simply don't register the car.

"He added that the department will imitate the British Used Car taxation system, and will cooperate with the Department of Land Transport in evaluating the used car price and tax calculations."

As far as i'm aware the is NO specific tax on the sale of 2nd hand vehicles in Britain (UK)

I did find this on the net though.....about British Colombia !!!!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/used-car-tax-will-not-drop-to-pre-hst-levels-1.1352334

So either the journalist got it wrong or our esteemed customs guy doesn't know his arse from his elbow.. and just think all this to pay for mountains of rice.

In Australia we do. It is called the GST, Goods and Serv's tax (10%) all so known at the VAT in Thai. This is applies to buying vehicles from licenced Motor Car Traders.

He said private sellers did not have to provide the same level of consumer protection as did a licensed dealer which had to give a warranty, which meant the GST put a dealer at a further competitive disadvantage. A three-year-old Holden Commodore, for example, might be valued at $20,000. A GST of 10 per cent applies to that, taking it to $22,000 at a dealer. But a private seller does not have to pay GST

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/car_taxes_unfair_says_mta

One way to get something in again after the fabulous tax rebate scheme have put a lot of new cars on the second-hand market!

Great, so the person who bought new got tax relief.

The person who bought used, pays tax.

How does that help the poor?

I suspect it doesn't. But that might be the intention. Prices of vehicles in Land of Scams is ridiculously and outrageously high. No wonder the rural folks use/ride diy vehicles. Which is yet another issue.