Pizzas in Pattaya

SirPaul

OK, who ever said I kid around?

I RUSHED out to try to pizza at CASA RIZZI.

I was open to other things on the menu but decided on trying their recommended pizza.

It's a shop house sized restaurant with both pleasant covered outdoor seating in front and a pleasant modern dining room inside.

They offer no daily specials other than the standard menu.

The standard menu is pretty classical, nothing seemed very surprising.

There were antipasti, pizzas, pastas, main dishes, risottos, and desserts. No calzone. I think I recall a GRILLED SQUID as a main course which sounded tempting. Mains are offered with one side, a starch or veg.

The prices are middle level. Bottled water 40 baht, San Mig 80 baht, glass house wine 120 baht. No plus plus.

I decided on a "Pizza Napoli" which was described as having anchovies and BASIL LEAVES. 230 baht.

What arrived, mostly as expected, was a PURIST Italian style pizza, thin crust, minimal tomato sauce and cheese, and minimalist anchovies.

That's Italian style pizza.

The crust as said thin was crisp but not as crisp as a hard cracker, and overall it was the highlight of the pizza for me.

The sauce and cheese and anchovy, about the typical expectation for a decent Italian style pizza in town.

Not doing cartwheels about the pizza. To my view, it's at a similar level to La Bocca or VOLTERRA (Soi Yensabai), neither of which are world class, but above par for Pattaya.

If you like PURIST Italian pizza, you should probably put CASA RIZZI on your list of places to try to see which you like best. Because the differences between the better local places are really subtle I think so subjective.

What's a dinner out without a little conflict?

Well, yes there was a THING.

It was my expectation if a pizza menu says a pizza has BASIL LEAVES that the BASIL LEAVES would actually be visible to the naked eye. No, not expecting a big pile of basil leaves.

More like something like this, BASIL LEAF-wise, which yes, I've had before in other Italian restaurants:

post-37101-0-14994700-1388930242_thumb.j

THIS IS NOT FROM CASA RIZZI!!!!

So as you might expect, I DID complain that the menu said BASIL LEAVES and why there weren't any. The response was the basil leaves were cooked INTO the sauce. OK answer, so why not say that on the menu? When you order a pizza with sausage, you correctly EXPECT some sausage to be VISIBLE, yes?

To make a short story long, I strongly feel there should have been visible basil leaves, I ordered that choice largely because that APPEALED to me, and the ownership there made it very clear that they strongly feel I was mistaken to expect visible basil leaves.

Honestly, it's just me, but the issue of the BASIL LEAVES rubbed me the wrong way, and I won't be back to this restaurant because of that feeling ... HOWEVER, I do think overall their pizza competes quite decently with the LOCAL competition.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was my expectation if a pizza menu says a pizza has BASIL LEAVES that the BASIL LEAVES would actually be visible to the naked eye. No, not expecting a big pile of basil leaves.

More like something like this, BASIL LEAF-wise, which yes, I've had before in other Italian restaurants:

Neapolitan.jpg

So as you might expect, I DID complain that the menu said BASIL LEAVES and why there weren't any. The response was the basil leaves were cooked INTO the sauce. OK answer, so why not say that on the menu? When you order a pizza with sausage, you correctly EXPECT some sausage to be VISIBLE, yes?

To make a short story long, I strongly feel there should have been visible basil leaves, I ordered that choice largely because that APPEALED to me, and the ownership there made it very clear that they strongly feel I was mistaken to expect visible basil leaves.

Honestly, it's just me, but the issue of the BASIL LEAVES rubbed me the wrong way, and I won't be back to this restaurant because of that feeling ... HOWEVER, I do think overall their pizza competes quite decently with the LOCAL competition.

Basil leaves on a pizza?

Sauces are normally made with Origano.

There are 3 well known styles of pizza: American, Italian & English.

Edited by Phil Conners
Fixed botched quote

I'm not really familiar with English pizza. There are varieties of Italian pizza. Sicilian "thicker crust" style is definitely different (and was likely an inspiration for some Chicago styles). In the USA, there is significant REGIONAL variety including classical Italian styles which are becoming more popular in recent years. Argentina (another country with a huge Italian immigrant culture) has it's own distinctive style of pizza as well. I'm sure there's more.

Yes, basil leaves on a pizza is not unusual on certain classical Italian pizzas, especially when it says clearly on the menu: BASIL LEAVES. Not just basil, but basil LEAVES.

Someone please explain to me what is typical English style pizza.

Italians seem to have the stereotype that Americans expect LARGE amounts of toppings on their pizzas. There is some truth to the stereotype when talking about some different American style pizzas.

I reckon regarding that one restaurant that all their other pizzas actually have (small amounts) the actual ingredients on the menu actually existing visibly on the pizzas. I just picked the "special" one with invisibility.

Edited by Jingthing

Someone please explain to me what is typical English style pizza.

The pizza's that are served in Pizza Hut or Dominos.

Really?

I don't eat at such places but I have considered them a kind of American corporate style fast food pizza. Not at the level of regional American pizza.

In the UK you either go to an Italian restaurant and have authentic Italian pizza,

or you go to Pizza Hut or Dominos.

So i wouldn't even say there is an English style pizza, the choice is either American style

or Italian style.

That's kind of what I thought before. But I'm open to learning differently. The only problem I have with that is people thinking that actually represents the really good regional American stuff Americans actually have access to that has nothing to do with those big corporate brands.

Edited by Jingthing

Pizza on soi bauchkow opposite sugar sugar called Brooklyns

Finally got to try Brooklyns. Small pizzas for 150 bhat good value. There is room for improvement but still better than some of the poor local alternatives.

The crust is good with pizzas being prepared in a brick oven. The staff were keen on the feedback we gave.

If i was hungry and in the area I would consider Brooklyns. Great location and open late. Hoping to see this improve over time.

OK, who ever said I kid around?

I RUSHED out to try to pizza at CASA RIZZI.

I was open to other things on the menu but decided on trying their recommended pizza.

It's a shop house sized restaurant with both pleasant covered outdoor seating in front and a pleasant modern dining room inside.

They offer no daily specials other than the standard menu.

The standard menu is pretty classical, nothing seemed very surprising.

There were antipasti, pizzas, pastas, main dishes, risottos, and desserts. No calzone. I think I recall a GRILLED SQUID as a main course which sounded tempting. Mains are offered with one side, a starch or veg.

The prices are middle level. Bottled water 40 baht, San Mig 80 baht, glass house wine 120 baht. No plus plus.

I decided on a "Pizza Napoli" which was described as having anchovies and BASIL LEAVES. 230 baht.

What arrived, mostly as expected, was a PURIST Italian style pizza, thin crust, minimal tomato sauce and cheese, and minimalist anchovies.

That's Italian style pizza.

The crust as said thin was crisp but not as crisp as a hard cracker, and overall it was the highlight of the pizza for me.

The sauce and cheese and anchovy, about the typical expectation for a decent Italian style pizza in town.

Not doing cartwheels about the pizza. To my view, it's at a similar level to La Bocca or VOLTERRA (Soi Yensabai), neither of which are world class, but above par for Pattaya.

If you like PURIST Italian pizza, you should probably put CASA RIZZI on your list of places to try to see which you like best. Because the differences between the better local places are really subtle I think so subjective.

What's a dinner out without a little conflict?

Well, yes there was a THING.

attachicon.gifNeapolitan.jpg

"Cooked into the sauce..." LOL...gotta be one of he all time classic responses from a dingbat pattaya restauranteur. I would have told the guy to shove it as you are right there should have been fresh basil leaves on top of the pizza!

"Cooked into the sauce..." LOL...gotta be one of he all time classic responses from a dingbat pattaya restauranteur. I would have told the guy to shove it as you are right there should have been fresh basil leaves on top of the pizza!

I did not buy the response and that feeling was clearly communicated. Say no more. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I did not buy the response and that feeling was clearly communicated. Say no more. coffee1.gif

I make you right and the restaurant wrong.

I may try it sometime but it is off putting when what IMO is a genuine comment/ complaint gets brushed aside.

Neapolitan.jpg

Basil leaves on a pizza?

Sauces are normally made with Origano.

There are 3 well known styles of pizza: American, Italian & English.

I would add a 3rd style; Eastern Canadian. Pizza's from my youth, we're talking 70's here had a thick layer of meats under the cheese, not a scattering ontop of the cheese. I have never seen this style anywhere else. The pizzas were all made by Italian mom and pop type of shops.

Has anyone tried this place?

Volare Rest cafe & friends

While I'm not a fan of tripadvisor, I pass this place regularly and the people look happy.

People commenting the pizzas are great.

Photos of two of them on the link. One of them has a promising CHAR. The other one has some serious LEAVES action going on!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3948817-Reviews-Volare_Rest_cafe_friends-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing

No one mention http://www.pizza.co.th smile.png

Yes and be sure to mention McDonalds and Burger King on the next burger thread. whistling.gif

That's a bit harsh isn't it? I find their deep-dish pizza to be just the thing a couple times a year. It is also somewhat unique as none of the non-chain pizza restos do anything like it. The fact I can order online and have it delivered makes it very convenient as well. The fact I can add a salad, soda, and a quart of ice cream to my order isn't bad either. The only downside is the prices are on the high side and the delivery charge is as well.

This might sound weird, but here goes.

A poster here has used my mention of CASA RIZZI to fuel a vicious personal attack on another thread, suggesting I am pigging out on pizzas all the time.

I do know a lot about existing Pattaya pizza places from my PAST over MANY YEARS but the truth is I have only consumed one pizza in well over year, a very thin crust, VERY minimalistic pizza at CASA RIZZI, really limited cheese as well, described in detail here. I skipped my next meal. Perhaps one reason I was upset that they didn't serve me the pizza as described on their menu was that I so RARELY consume ANY pizza. One pizza in over a year, you REALLY want it to be the THING, yes? I have no plans to eat another pizza anywhere in the foreseeable future.

So when I comment about my impression of pizza at La Bocca and any other place, it is from the PAST, unless otherwise noted. BTW, even in my "pizza pigging day" pizza every two weeks was pretty much the max.

Also I have not had fish and chips in SEVERAL YEARS.

I am not representing pizza as a healthy food. I think it's not so bad in moderation for non-fat people. Fish and chips is horrible food for everyone.

There it is.

Truth and transparency with pizza commenting, you get that from me!

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

A poster here has used my mention of CASA RIZZI to fuel a vicious personal attack on another thread...

I just find it hypocritical that a guy that that wants to deny a poor Thai a bowl of rice to eat (lest they get too fat) out eating pizza.

You crack me up

How can a pizza be better than another one ? This is so basic food that even savages can do !

OMG. Barbarians among us! w00t.gif

I guess vtjforyou would be even more shocked that there are huge differences in sausages...

A poster here has used my mention of CASA RIZZI to fuel a vicious personal attack on another thread...

I just find it hypocritical that a guy that that wants to deny a poor Thai a bowl of rice to eat (lest they get too fat) out eating pizza.

You crack me up

Totally off topic and a complete misrepresentation of anything I have ever posted anywhere. Bizarre.

You crack me up

Totally off topic and a complete misrepresentation of anything I have ever posted anywhere. Bizarre.

You seem extremely agitated. I don't really know why

I tried a new pizza place in Jomtien today , Balilla Pizzeria in Soi Chayapruek , up 400 meter from beach rd, on the left side . Italian made pizzas and prices around 200 baht for a good medium size pizza. They opened 3 months ago.

It was better than other pizzas I have tried in Pattaya. They also have branches in Bangkok and Chiang Mai . If you're staying in Jomtien you should go and check it out. Friendly staff.

Edited by balo

I tried a new pizza place in Jomtien today , Balilla Pizzeria in Soi Chayapruek , up 400 meter from beach rd, on the left side . Italian made pizzas and prices around 200 baht for a good medium size pizza. They opened 3 months ago.

It was better than other pizzas I have tried in Pattaya. They also have branches in Bangkok and Chiang Mai . If you're staying in Jomtien you should go and check it out. Friendly staff.

http://balilla.asia/