Thai Army strongly slams Thaksin’s lawyer, Robert Amsterdam

webfact

Just for the record. Buying your way to become PM has nothing to do with democracy.

How Thai tycoon Thaksin bought his way to power.

http://asiafoundation.org/in-asia/2011/07/13/dark-reality-to-vote-buying-in-thailand/

I often wonder how people know who voted for who in a secret ballot?

I'd take the money and still make my own decision.

Is that too simplistic?

Yes, look att the video from 06,24.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am not sure you have actually watched and listened to that, they say that vote buying is deeply ingrained in Thai society and it is done by all parties. Not really sure what your point is? Only non TS parties are allowed to vote buy?

• Like 1

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One question: Why do they always make the phrase "fugitive Thanksin"? He was in New York for a meeting at the U.N. when the coup occurred. It was made clear he was not welcome to come back. For one accused of so much corruption, it took a year to come up with the charges with which they tried him in absentia. A year?! Like him or hate him, you have to admit that any civil/legal rights he had were hardly tenable. Nevertheless, the press continues to use the adjective "fugitive" before his name. Is that really fair?

Don't you know that he came came back in 2008? Then he went to the Olympics and skipped bail. That makes him a fugitive.

• Like 2

Army's elsewhere obey their Govt whether they like it or not. To ensure this happens the first thing any Govt should do is control access to the logistical chain that they need in order to function; Weapons, Ammo, Food, Vehicles, Fuel & Funds.

Until they do the tail will continue to wag the dog.

You might have a little disagreement there with the Egyptians.

Bring in the King of Thailand make this discussion a "no go area".

Sad to say but was not elected by the people of Thailand and as so not a legal MP. The Army backed him up for his concessions to them.

PM Yingluck was chosen by the Thai people in the last open elections hold here. If you have the vote counts that say other i like to see your proof.

To keep the memories clean of [email protected] wiki

A general election for 24th House of Representatives[1] took place throughout Thailand on Sunday, 3 July 2011, by virtue of the Royal Decree Dissolving the House of Representatives, 2554 BE (2011), which caused the House of Representatives to be dissolved on 10 May 2011.
With a turnout of 75.03%,. populist Pheu Thai Party won a majority with 265 seats. Its leader Yingluck Shinawatra became the first female prime minister in the history of Thailand. The Democrat Party therefore became the main opposition party with a total of 159 seats..

Are you really saying that Abhisit wasn't an elected MP?

Maybe you meant PM. In which case, you should know that Yingluck was elected PM in the same way that Abihisit was - in parliament by other elected MPs.

• Like 1

Sad to say but was not elected by the people of Thailand and as so not a legal MP. The Army backed him up for his concessions to them.

PM Yingluck was chosen by the Thai people in the last open elections hold here. If you have the vote counts that say other i like to see your proof.

A general election for 24th House of Representatives[1] took place throughout Thailand on Sunday, 3 July 2011, by virtue of the Royal Decree Dissolving the House of Representatives, 2554 BE (2011), which caused the House of Representatives to be dissolved on 10 May 2011.
With a turnout of 75.03%,. populist Pheu Thai Party won a majority with 265 seats. Its leader Yingluck Shinawatra became the first female prime minister in the history of Thailand. The Democrat Party therefore became the main opposition party with a total of 159 seats..

Maybe you meant PM. In which case, you should know that Yingluck was elected PM in the same way that Abihisit was - in parliament by other elected MPs.

When Abhisit was installed as PM it was really through some shady shenanigans with the military. The Army basically cobbled together a coalition after the judicial coup by pairing Abhisit with a banned criminal politician that had been aligned with Thaksin. It was really shameful to see that photo of Abhisit shaking that dudes hand.

• Like 1

When Abhisit was installed as PM it was really through some shady shenanigans with the military. The Army basically cobbled together a coalition after the judicial coup by pairing Abhisit with a banned criminal politician that had been aligned with Thaksin. It was really shameful to see that photo of Abhisit shaking that dudes hand.

Abhisit was elected PM in parliament.

Are you talking about Thaksin when you say "banned criminal politician"? Isn't that the problem at the moment, that Thailand has a "banned criminal politician" effectively running the country?

Abhisit was elected PM in parliament.

Are you talking about Thaksin when you say "banned criminal politician"? Isn't that the problem at the moment, that Thailand has a "banned criminal politician" effectively running the country?

No, it's obvious he's talking about Newin. You really ought to build up your comprehension skills. Why would he be talking about Thaksin? That would make his sentence read

The Army basically cobbled together a coalition after the judicial coup by pairing Abhisit with (a banned criminal politician) Thaksin that had been aligned with Thaksin.

Which makes no sense at all.

Oh I see what you did there, that was clever whistling.gif because Thaksin is also a banned criminal politician Wow, lmfao. Here's a picture so you don't get them mixed up in future

20090424065856!Abhisit_Newin.jpg

The banned criminal politician is on the right (up to now anyway)

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

The conviction of Thaksin was a farce, ramrodded through by a non-democratically installed, biased government. There is no evidence of any illegal action when this conviction came down. Interesting how the conviction was handed down by the former president of the Constitutional Court. This court is the biggest cancer, feeding Thailand's corruption.

Really the only evidence against Thaksin of any illegality, he was acquitted of. He learned pretty quickly to stay above board after that close call.

Edited by dukebowling
  • Like 1

Yes you are talking about Mr. Fixit, Newin Chitchob, the pirate from Buriram. Always popular as a coalition partner for his abilities in the political black arts. Thaksin found him very useful as a Gofer. But then he was made an offer he couldn't refuse, three cash-cow ministries, in order to switch he allegiance to Abhisit's Democrats after the Thaksin proxy governments unravelled.

There's a source on the internet that says individual members of Newin's party each received 40 million baht to agree to the swap, though you have to be outside Thailand to read those sources. It was also alleged that the army brokered the deal, but I wasn't present personally so can't confirm that.

Newin put together a band of thugs to attack protestors at the April Pattaya meeting of, I think it was, Asian ministers. I remember watching the TV pictues of Asian foreign ministers being airlifted from their hotel by helicopter. Some think Newin's hired hands are are doing the dirty work for the PDRC, the opposite force to Thaksin's MIB.

Newin was one of those banned from politics for five years but what the heck a guy has to earn a living somehow.

• Like 2

The conviction of Thaksin was a farce, ramrodded through by a non-democratically installed, biased government. There is no evidence of any illegal action when this conviction came down. Interesting how the conviction was handed down by the former president of the Constitutional Court. This court is the biggest cancer, feeding Thailand's corruption.

Really the only evidence against Thaksin of any illegality, he was acquitted of. He learned pretty quickly to stay above board after that close call.

Thaksin was convicted under one of his proxy governments.

Governments don't convict, courts do.

OK. I'll rephrase. Thaksin was convicted by the courts while his proxy government was in power.

OK. I'll rephrase. Thaksin was convicted by the courts while his proxy government was in power.

Better, so we can say there is no linkage between those two facts.

• Like 1

Of course the conviction was a farce, but so is pretending that just because the conviction was a farce that he never did any of the things he was accused of.

Not only was the court case a farce, the charge sheet was also a farce. Why? Because it was missing some of the biggest howlers that everyone, but everyone, knew that Thaksin had committed. The mountain of circumstancial evidence (for seasoned insiders it was more like a mountain range) all pointed towards him and the smug bastard just grinned.

He knew that none of it was admissable in court, and that no one who mattered and valued their life would ever dare to try and make any of it admissable in court. Not that there was ever going to be a real court case anyway. The last coup-makers really shot themselves in the foot when they put up a kangaroo court instead of putting together a real ironclad inquest and letting it run it's course - which they probably didn't because they couldn't stomach the possible collateral damage to themselves.

None but the most blinkered who lived through Thaksin's tenure would be able to forget the way in which he kept upping the ante, committing one stinker after another and looking everyone in the eye as he held the smoking gun behind his back. No one dared to ask where that smoke was coming from, apart from the opposition or journalists, who didn't ask particularly loudly or clearly (probably for reasons to do with skeletons and personal health, respectively).

I'm just saying this as a point of order. I have no dog in this fight.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

The pen is mightier than the sword.

The ink of the scholar is holier than the blood of the martyr.

Many wearing rapiers are afraid of goosequills.

The French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte (1769–1821), known to history for his military conquests, also left this oft-quoted remark: “Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets.” He also said: « There are only two powers in the world, saber and mind; at the end, saber is always defeated by mind »

Trade tariffs however speak in their own way.

So no want of honest conversation do I see.

Courts put in by Stalin were OK with you? So you respect all courts do you?

This court was put into being after a coup by a Captain. It is a puppet Court doing what it is told.

Obviously governments do convict.

Governments all over the planet have the power to ignore their own courts but this one in Thailand does not have to ignore the court since they own it.

Why bother saying nonsense people? Do you think it will change things? Did it save the government in South Africa from Mandela?

Did it protect the government in India against Gandhi?

Did the King of England stop the move toward democracy with his nonsense?

NO NO NO.

I would respect an argument as to why a democracy was not correct for Thailand now but when some say they want democracy when clearly they do not, it becomes a real circus.

• Like 1

Seems to me it was the Army that ousted Thaksin in a coup. Like him or not, Thaksin was elected.

Not really. Thanksin wasn't actually elected when he was ousted. The elections were declared invalid per the law. A small detail most seem to miss.

Love how everyone throws around the "D" word (Democracy). And none of them know the true meaning of it.

de·moc·ra·cy noun \di-ˈmä-krə-sē\

: a form of government in which people choose leaders by voting

: a country ruled by democracy

: an organization or situation in which everyone is treated equally and has equal rights

plural de·moc·ra·cies
Full Definition of DEMOCRACY
a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority
b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections

This is a good post I'd been meaning to get to.

It's over the top for so many posters to say the rest here have "no idea" of democracy, or that other posters don't know "true" democracy or that that people they disagree with don't know "real" democracy etc etc etc.

Democracy is democracy so all of this rhetoric about it having dictating qualifiers or realities is hyperbole and nothing else.

I don't try to tell people who disagree with me they don't know "true" democracy or "real" democracy or that they don't have "any idea" of "true democracy" blah blah blah. Such overstatement is elitist in itself, arrogant, and therefore self-defeating.

Democracy is democracy, period.

One can say democracy is evolving because it's the nature of democracy to be much more a process than it is to be a thing we can pin to a board and point to.

....Democracy is democracy, period............

Not so long ago a country called the DDR, Deutsche Demokratische Republik, adapted the word democracy and give it a hole new definition.

Remember that all what you read and find in books is not always the truth because many of those so called by the people chosen governments control what you read, how you think and what is good or wrong.

w00t.gif

Seems to me it was the Army that ousted Thaksin in a coup. Like him or not, Thaksin was elected.

Not really. Thanksin wasn't actually elected when he was ousted. The elections were declared invalid per the law. A small detail most seem to miss.

No no body missed this, the Army did a coup, changed the law , and declared the elections invalid.... not such a small detail, but a huge one most anti anti Taksins seem to miss.

• Like 2

Abhisit was never elected by democratic elected MPs, they where the MPs that where put in place after the coup in 2006, Abhisit was NEVER elected, and will never be, if you like it or not.

So you think it's ok for the leader if the country to force the govt. land dept. to sell his wife a plot of land at half it's value so that she can turn around and sell it at double the value a short time later? Good to know. Also, as someone else has here has pointed out, Thaksin was convicted while one of his proxy governments was in power, so that makes the conviction even more legitimate.

Abhisit was never elected by democratic elected MPs, they where the MPs that where put in place after the coup in 2006, Abhisit was NEVER elected, and will never be, if you like it or not.

Abhisit was elected the same exact way as Yingluck. As a party list MP. Google can be your friend, I suggest you take advantage of it and then come back and post.

Abhisit was elected the same exact way as Yingluck. As a party list MP. Google can be your friend, I suggest you take advantage of it and then come back and post.

Who are you talking to with your post?

Certainly you are not expecting the people who live in Thailand to have forgotten the coups and the Captain and the court put in by the coup then throwing out a PM for doing a talk show and then and then and then.

Man up and admit you do not want a democracy where the Reds can win.

Endless games make this stuff comical.

BUT honestly, if the Reds ever were to get full control of the nation including the army, then posting such nonsense could land one in deep trouble as a government propagandist.

What nation would you move to?

Certainly you are not expecting the people who live in Thailand to have forgotten the coups and the Captain and the court put in by the coup then throwing out a PM for doing a talk show and then and then and then.

BUT honestly, if the Reds ever were to get full control of the nation including the army, then posting such nonsense could land one in deep trouble as a government propagandist.

I see you're new to the internet. Welcome. You'll enjoy it.

You can tell who I'm talking to by who I've quoted in my post. See above.

As far as Samak getting thrown out for his cooking show, he broke the rules and got caught. Pretty simple.

I see you're new to the internet. Welcome. You'll enjoy it.

You can tell who I'm talking to by who I've quoted in my post. See above.

As far as Samak getting thrown out for his cooking show, he broke the rules and got caught. Pretty simple.

So do you want a democracy where Reds can pick the PM if they win?

You did not answer.

I see you do not like to answer.

Where would you move to?

California is nice. Near to Lake Tahoe would be fun for you.