Probe into PM Yingluck will be comprehensive

Lite Beer

A Thai source told me to expect to see some senior Commerce Ministry officials involved in the 'g2g' rice trade flee the country.

Source? The first grader next door?

The first grader next door is probably smarter than all you red flag waving zombies put together. whistling.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many confused and unintelligent responses to my earlier post.Nobody is suggesting that this government is not without its faults and I do not have any obligation to defend it.If it is as incompetent, corrupt and incompetent as claimed it can be voted out by the Thai people at the general election in a few weeks time.

But of course giving the Thai people a voice is exactly what the old guard fear.Thus the strategy is to create conditions of confusion and enlist the partisan efforts of the EC,CC and NACC to destabilise and destroy the elected government.The dullards who bleat conspiracy theory should keep quiet until it is evident the slow and silent judicial coup has no legs.Until that point all the evidence points the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Many confused and unintelligent responses to my earlier post.Nobody is suggesting that this government is not without its faults and I do not have any obligation to defend it.If it is as incompetent, corrupt and incompetent as claimed it can be voted out by the Thai people at the general election in a few weeks time. But of course giving the Thai people a voice is exactly what the old guard fear.Thus the strategy is to create conditions of confusion and enlist the partisan efforts of the EC,CC and NACC to destabilise and destroy the elected government.The dullards who bleat conspiracy theory should keep quiet until it is evident the slow and silent judicial coup has no legs.Until that point all the evidence points the other way. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The usual "it can be voted out by the people" catch phrase .

Had no one had the guts to try anything, then no elections would have to be called, and everything goes on until 4th year polling day. You said " corrupt as claimed" your not sure then ????

let the ###s carry on my pound has got better, but that's no sweetener When corruption has got out of hand and the Government is near bankrupt, if it is in complete shutdown apart from them still having fingers in the trough, throw them out, get them in court, get the UN to set up an impartial court and nab all who have ruined this land.

If any other party were in office and increased corruption by a mile I would say the same thing.

How anyone can defend this governments antics is beyond normal. Posters in denial, if this country was a business and you owned it, and had this happening -IN YOUR FACE, would you wait for elections ???? if yes then you are not fit in business, and to cap it all had you looked after it, it wouldn't have got into shutdown-would it ???

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 1

Many confused and unintelligent responses to my earlier post.Nobody is suggesting that this government is not without its faults and I do not have any obligation to defend it.If it is as incompetent, corrupt and incompetent as claimed it can be voted out by the Thai people at the general election in a few weeks time. But of course giving the Thai people a voice is exactly what the old guard fear.Thus the strategy is to create conditions of confusion and enlist the partisan efforts of the EC,CC and NACC to destabilise and destroy the elected government.The dullards who bleat conspiracy theory should keep quiet until it is evident the slow and silent judicial coup has no legs.Until that point all the evidence points the other way. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"The dullards who bleat conspiracy theory should keep quiet"

What, you are not going to explain this vast conspiracy between "the EC,CC and NACC to destabilise and destroy the elected government"?

And here I was hoping about hearing a nice story. :(

Typical Red B.S.

If the people vote for them corruption should be forgiven (facepalm to the extreme)

They should be prosecuted, government disbanded and those responsible banned from politics and put in jail. The should do the same to any government red / yellow / purple. Popularity does not mean they are above the law. This goverment has shown such a contempt for rules and laws they deserve to be disbanded and prosecuted.

After that or during that new laws should be put in place to make sure ANY future government has to play by the rules. I don't care if the next government is red, but if they are corrupt they should be punished.. same with a democrat government.

The red cheerleaders should man up and accept that their lot is corrupt and proven to be so that new laws and institutions are needed to keep governments in check. We seen what happens otherwise.

• Like 2

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say jayboy, after this toxic regime has indeed taken all the rope and hung themselves.

And if you think some of the responses to your earlier post were "confused and unintelligent" you should be in this dimension reading some of your red coated drivel.

Your type keep flapping your gums about the old guard, the elites, etc. like they are the bogey man in the basement. Fact is, if you took any notice of what a lot of posters are saying, we would be quite happy if the PTP were all thrown in prison and replaced with an honest and non-corrupt alternative/opposition to the Democrats. As long as that party had been disinfected of the Shinawatras, that is.

• Like 2

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say jayboy, after this toxic regime has indeed taken all the rope and hung themselves.

And if you think some of the responses to your earlier post were "confused and unintelligent" you should be in this dimension reading some of your red coated drivel.

Your type keep flapping your gums about the old guard, the elites, etc. like they are the bogey man in the basement. Fact is, if you took any notice of what a lot of posters are saying, we would be quite happy if the PTP were all thrown in prison and replaced with an honest and non-corrupt alternative/opposition to the Democrats. As long as that party had been disinfected of the Shinawatras, that is.

I would not care if there were Shinawatras int he next government as long as they were not as corrupt as this government and played by the rules. Worked for the country instead of for themselves / their boss in Dubai.

I like the democrats more but any government that is not corrupt and plays by the rules and is elected is of course good.

But the current lot needs to be investigated and punished for their corruption and blatant disrespect for the law.

• Like 2

What, you are not going to explain this vast conspiracy between "the EC,CC and NACC to destabilise and destroy the elected government"?

And here I was hoping about hearing a nice story. sad.png

The NACC are doing their assigned job.

There has been much evidence available publicly for some time that the rice scheme was corrupt. The NACC went ahead and looked at it and now some 15 people will likely be charged including YS.

Somehow I doubt that the NACC would have named the 15 unless they have substantial proof.

But jayboy says the NACC is just conducting an anti red conspiracy

• Like 2

My point was that if the government falls through the impact of judicial intervention, my critics should not dismiss my comments as a 'conspiracy theory".Corruption is a curse in Thailand and nobody would disagree it should be tackled, but it is not, despite protestations, the root cause of the current conflict.Look at the nature of leadership of the street protests!The current government is certainly losing popularity so why don't the forces opposed to it work for a victory in the coming general election?

• Like 1

My point was that if the government falls through the impact of judicial intervention, my critics should not dismiss my comments as a 'conspiracy theory".Corruption is a curse in Thailand and nobody would disagree it should be tackled, but it is not, despite protestations, the root cause of the current conflict.Look at the nature of leadership of the street protests!The current government is certainly losing popularity so why don't the forces opposed to it work for a victory in the coming general election?

Why ? If they can get corrupt officials indited and banned that is so much more rewarding then to beat them in a vote. Saying voting is the answer is like saying i got voted into power so i can be corrupt. (red thinking)

Corruption and law breaks by this government should be seen separate from voting, they broke the law prosecute and punish them. Not hold a popularity contest. Now if democrats of whoever are in power and corrupt id support you too to get them to justice. Why forgive it.. why not go after it and root it out instead of letting them off by loosing a vote.. If you dont punish them and make them accountable things will never change.

Why ? If they can get corrupt officials indited and banned that is so much more rewarding then to beat them in a vote. Saying voting is the answer is like saying i got voted into power so i can be corrupt. (red thinking)

Corruption and law breaks by this government should be seen separate from voting, they broke the law prosecute and punish them. Not hold a popularity contest. Now if democrats of whoever are in power and corrupt id support you too to get them to justice. Why forgive it.. why not go after it and root it out instead of letting them off by loosing a vote.. If you dont punish them and make them accountable things will never change.

I have absolutely no problem with a non partisan judicial system punishing politicians found guilty of corruption.But I do object to directed judicial activism as an alternative to democratic politics.Popular victory at a general election doesn't give the government a blank cheque and it must be subject to a variety of checks and balances.But popular support received through a general election is a basic requisite, without which there can be no proper mandate.

I have absolutely no problem with a non partisan judicial system punishing politicians found guilty of corruption.But I do object to directed judicial activism as an alternative to democratic politics.Popular victory at a general election doesn't give the government a blank cheque and it must be subject to a variety of checks and balances.But popular support received through a general election is a basic requisite, without which there can be no proper mandate.

Good, then let them get prosecuted and have a major overhaul of the checks and balances. Once they are firmly in place I could care less if a red government came back. With checks and balances in place corruption will be less (or the checks and balances don't work)

Think the only thing we then disagree on is that I want the reforms before the election.

I find it a damm shame that stuff like the red MP lying in court and not getting punished.. now the corruption at the rice scheme that it took protests to get the facts above table because people were too afraid to go against the government. Not to mention that making up of G2G contracts.. that is wow....

Anyway I might be wrong here but suppose that these made up G2G contracts allowed friends to buy rice cheaper and then enter it again in the system as farmed rice... that would be the ultimate scam. To be honest it would not surprise me if that is what was done.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no problem with a non partisan judicial system punishing politicians found guilty of corruption

Good for you, and something we can agree on, the problem is:

But I do object to directed judicial activism as an alternative to democratic politics.

That's invariably your reaction to any wrong doing by Thaksin and his proxies, it's always political prosecution first and pontificating about non partisan justice second.

Why won't you start by proving that the allegations are groundless and politically motivated and then move on to complain about judicial activism?

I feel sorry for her really. This was never her idea. Put up to it by her brother and thug mates.

This will be with her for the rest of her life. We all know how Thais feel about food. Especially rice!!

Did you see the crocodile tears and smirk performances?

I originally liked her, but it soon became obvious she is just a front, does as told, as no real interest, and skives off her duties as much as possible. Add to that the lies, even early on in her tenure (remember the 'my helicopter can't fly at night) and you you see the real character. The way she shoved her son in front of other kids to walk out with Chelsea, pushing some out at the last minute regardless of their feelings, demonstrates how family focused they are.

And clowns on here think that she actually runs the government and PTP have the peoples interests at heat!

The NACC probe into Shin corruption is overdue. Let's hope they have more teeth than the poor Ombudsman who's been waiting over 2 years for an answer.

If you're repulsed by the corruption practiced by elected governments of Thailand, wait till you see what a dictatorship established by the Old Guard will do.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for her really. This was never her idea. Put up to it by her brother and thug mates.

This will be with her for the rest of her life. We all know how Thais feel about food. Especially rice!!

I originally liked her, but it soon became obvious she is just a front, does as told, as no real interest, and skives off her duties as much as possible. Add to that the lies, even early on in her tenure (remember the 'my helicopter can't fly at night) and you you see the real character. The way she shoved her son in front of other kids to walk out with Chelsea, pushing some out at the last minute regardless of their feelings, demonstrates how family focused they are.

And clowns on here think that she actually runs the government and PTP have the peoples interests at heat!

The NACC probe into Shin corruption is overdue. Let's hope they have more teeth than the poor Ombudsman who's been waiting over 2 years for an answer.

If you're repulsed by the corruption practiced by elected governments of Thailand, wait till you see what a dictatorship established by the Old Guard will do.

Can you please share a rough definition of Old Guard and explain how / what they would do in terms of dictatorship.

I have absolutely no problem with a non partisan judicial system punishing politicians found guilty of corruption

But I do object to directed judicial activism as an alternative to democratic politics.

That's invariably your reaction to any wrong doing by Thaksin and his proxies, it's always political prosecution first and pontificating about non partisan justice second.

Why won't you start by proving that the allegations are groundless and politically motivated and then move on to complain about judicial activism?

I very much doubt whether the allegations are groundless.But they are not the reason for the the current conflict which is a struggle for power.Judicial activism has become very significant since the military coup option for the old guard no longer seems possible.

• Like 2

Imagine for a minute - a massive rice export deal with China. Except that - it never actually happened, you see. Problem was - no rice was ever exported. As the NACC follows this story - doubtless filled to the brim with intrigue and mafioso finesse, the administration yet again looks into the abyss of impeachment for what seems like the umpteenth time. Even Yingluck has been caught up in the actions of her subordinates, and even though it's more than credible that she has no clue what's going on - in the stark reality of at least physically impersonating a prime minister - she is still to be held accountable.

Honestly, some of you folk need to get real and try to be a bit more even-handed. I don't support the rice pledging, never have. But some of you have very selective memories when it comes to any meaningful comparison between this administration and those of the past.

Perhaps consider why it is that the business community generally supports continuation of PTP ( other than those well-known direct beneficiaries of a change). One strong possibility is that business tends to remember what happened under the old guard....MASSIVE budget deficits ( hundreds of billions of Baht), crony capitalism at its worst, appointment of friends/allies/cronies to key positions in the complete absence of any real qualifcations ( often at the expense of better candidates), monopolies granted in a range of industries, crown land 'borrowed' for personal use, bizarre appointments/promotions in the bureaucracy/elsewhere as political payback, FREE.. not 30 Baht.. health cover ( until the budget bureau determined that it would just about bankrupt the country), instant massive increase in military spending (35%).

An endless list of laurel/hardy/abbott/costello/colonel blink characters and policies making Thailand a laughing stock in the region and around the world. Why did that govt ( and the pale pink copy that followed it), go from an approval rating of 60% at the time of appointment to 12% in UNDER A YEAR???. 12%.

Be careful what you wish for because this is the same mob you want back. Yes, ...different...reform...no Thaksin...no corruption....much better this time...yeah, yeah, yeah

Thaksin had his faults. Incompetence ...not

Imagine for a minute - a massive rice export deal with China. Except that - it never actually happened, you see. Problem was - no rice was ever exported. As the NACC follows this story - doubtless filled to the brim with intrigue and mafioso finesse, the administration yet again looks into the abyss of impeachment for what seems like the umpteenth time. Even Yingluck has been caught up in the actions of her subordinates, and even though it's more than credible that she has no clue what's going on - in the stark reality of at least physically impersonating a prime minister - she is still to be held accountable.

Honestly, some of you folk need to get real and try to be a bit more even-handed. I don't support the rice pledging, never have. But some of you have very selective memories when it comes to any meaningful comparison between this administration and those of the past.

Perhaps consider why it is that the business community generally supports continuation of PTP ( other than those well-known direct beneficiaries of a change). One strong possibility is that business tends to remember what happened under the old guard....MASSIVE budget deficits ( hundreds of billions of Baht), crony capitalism at its worst, appointment of friends/allies/cronies to key positions in the complete absence of any real qualifcations ( often at the expense of better candidates), monopolies granted in a range of industries, crown land 'borrowed' for personal use, bizarre appointments/promotions in the bureaucracy/elsewhere as political payback, FREE.. not 30 Baht.. health cover ( until the budget bureau determined that it would just about bankrupt the country), instant massive increase in military spending (35%).

An endless list of laurel/hardy/abbott/costello/colonel blink characters and policies making Thailand a laughing stock in the region and around the world. Why did that govt ( and the pale pink copy that followed it), go from an approval rating of 60% at the time of appointment to 12% in UNDER A YEAR???. 12%.

Be careful what you wish for because this is the same mob you want back. Yes, ...different...reform...no Thaksin...no corruption....much better this time...yeah, yeah, yeah

And if you look at many of the macroeconomic indicators during Thaksin's period in office, 2001 to 2006, they were positive. Plus most of the social indicators too: fewer people in poverty etc. I think people should look at figures and statistics rather than simply spouting invective.

• Like 1

And if you look at many of the macroeconomic indicators during Thaksin's period in office, 2001 to 2006, they were positive. Plus most of the social indicators too: fewer people in poverty etc. I think people should look at figures and statistics rather than simply spouting invective.

I think people should look for truth. No one is disputing that Thaksin is a shrewd businessman. No one is disputing that he has achieved progress in many areas during his time in the driving seat. However, that doesn't give him the right to act like a common criminal. Let's not forget that he is a convicted criminal. A fugitive.

You need to be continually reminded that Thaksin is the biggest human right abuser in modern Thai history. 20 human right activists were assassinated during his reign. He and his cronies are million miles away from democracy and democratic principles. You also need to be continually reminded of his crimes.

In truth, the demonstrators are sick of the corrupt nature of Thaksin Shinawatra, the fugitive former prime minister, who is defined by his corrupt behavior as a minister in government beginning in the mid '90s to the years of his official running of the country from 2000-2006. He has used his position in government first and foremost to enrich himself and his family. Even though he now lives in Dubai, he micro-manages the Thai government through his youngest sister Yingluck, the current Thai minister. In addition, Thais have not forgotten Thaksin's excesses, including murder, suppression of the media and his violent policies toward the southern Malay-Muslim provinces.

Thaksin was removed from office in 2006 as a result of a military coup conducted while Thaksin was in New York City preparing to give a speech at the opening session of the United Nations. The night before, Thaksin paid tribute to the makers of United States foreign policy, the Council on Foreign Relations. He was there in his capacity as a vital cog in the neoliberal policies of bringing corporate control to all (formerly) sovereign countries. The coup was conducted following large-scale protests against Thaksin's autocratic rule during which he executed many policies solely to benefit corporations in which he was the major shareholder. The last straw came when he sold his telecommunications firm to a Singaporean entity for several billion dollars. Two days before the deal was finalized, the Thai laws limiting foreign ownership of a Thai corporation were changed to increase that limit to 49 percent. Furthermore, Thaksin also arranged to have a capital gains tax precedent case removed so the deal would not be subject to any Thai taxes. Yes, Prime Minister Thaksin arranged not to pay more than 400 million dollars in taxes. This "last straw" followed a long string of abuses while he was prime minister.

He ordered a "War on Drugs" in early 2003. Within 3 months, more than 2,500 people were murdered, many of whom had no connections to drugs at all. It cannot be said with any certainty that none of those who were killed had any involvement with drugs since they were never arrested, charged or brought to trial. They were murdered so that Thaksin could maintain his popularity with poor people in villages that were suffering because of the meth epidemic.

The southernmost provinces of Thailand were ceded to Thailand by the British in the Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909. The population is overwhelmingly Malay-Muslim, and the first language of most residents is still Malay. This region has never become accustomed to being colonized, and Bangkok's efforts to administer the area have not been successful. At the time Thaksin became prime minister, the Thai army was conducting a campaign to involve the residents more in administering their affairs through the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Center (SBPAC). It was a period of very little violence. Thaksin dissolved the SBPAC and placed the Royal Thai Police in charge - which resulted in increased violence. The policy went from one that was progressively inclusive to one that was authoritarian and violent toward the southerners. A protest against Thaksin's policies took place in Tak Bae village. The army attacked the demonstration, resulting in the deaths of 89 people. Most of the dead were tortured to death by stacking bodies on top of each other until those at the bottom were crushed or suffocated. Thaksin blamed the victims for their deaths, stating that they died because they were observing the spiritual practice of fasting during the month of Ramadan. An incident at the Khrue Mosque resulted in the deaths of 11 people following a day of fighting between southerners and Thai authorities. The attack on the mosque involved tanks and heavy artillery.

When elected to parliament or appointed a deputy prime minister, a Thai politician must sign a declaration of assets. When he was appointed a deputy prime minister in the mid 90's, Thaksin did not list most of his shares in his various companies. Instead, he claimed he had transferred most of his shares to his housekeeper, cook, gardener, driver and security. Had this truly happened, those minimum-wage workers would have been among the richest people in Thailand. After his election and before he was sworn in as prime minister, this case came to trial. The court was truly afraid of convicting Thaksin, who had just won by a landslide of those voting. He even reminded them in testimony of his victory - leaving no doubt of the consequences of overturning his election. Thus, the court voted narrowly to clear him, paving the way for him to pursue even more wealth at the expense of the nation.

Thaksin held a 50 percent share in the low-cost airline Air Asia when he decided as prime minister to promote more low-cost airlines to service the increasing number of airports in Thailand. He arranged to charge Air Asia a substantially lower service charge for all fees paid by airlines for service at airports. This increased Air Asia's market share and greatly increased its profits. Thaksin's telecommunications company Advance Info Services (AIS) was the beneficiary of a special tax treatment on its corporate tax. When Thaksin traveled to meet other foreign leaders, at least one of his companies benefited through deals arranged between Thaksin and the foreign leader.

His corruption was truly legend. To adequately list each transgression would require writing a book. That is precisely what Chris Baker and Pasuk Phongpaichit did in their book titled Thaksin. It is an excellent reference to the excesses of Thaksin during his corporate and political career.

He has previously called himself the CEO of Thailand. In doing so, he naturally distances himself from any responsibility of governing for the benefit of the Thai people. Should he become successful in keeping his power over the Phuea Thai Party (his current proxy), the country of Thailand will become Thailand Inc. Thailand Inc. is responsible to its shareholders, not its citizens. Thailand Inc. must produce more, more and more wealth to its shareholders.

While prime minister, Thaksin arranged the sale of a stake in the national gas company, PTT. The public sale ended 2 minutes after it began and sold out the entire offering. Relatives of Thaksin and relatives of some of his government's ministers purchased the entire offering. This follows the neoliberal mandate of selling off each nation's public assets to the private sector.

Again, I have not referenced all the possible corruption charges he could face, but the INYT and others only mention his single corruption conviction involving the sale of prime downtown Bangkok real estate owned by the Thai government. This land was sold to Thaksin's wife at well below market price. His trial took place after the 2006 coup, but during the reign of one of his two proxy governments, which served him after the coup. The current government, led by his youngest sister, Yingluck, is his third proxy government. Between the end of the trial and the verdict, he petitioned the court for permission to travel to the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The court allowed his request while requiring his assurance he would return. He has never returned. He was convicted and sentenced to two years in prison. In spite of his conviction and his fugitive status, the Obama-Clinton State Department granted Thaksin a visa to enter the United States. At present, he runs Thailand from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. No important decision is made by the government without his assent. His sister Yingluck remains the definition of a puppet prime minister.

Edited by Mackie

I very much doubt whether the allegations are groundless.But they are not the reason for the the current conflict which is a struggle for power.Judicial activism has become very significant since the military coup option for the old guard no longer seems possible.

Youre just trying to de-ligitimize the topic of this thread, corruption allegations against "Yingluck's" government by linking it to a wider conflict; if they are guilty or not has nothing to do with any conflict between political rivals.

Can you please share a rough definition of Old Guard and explain how / what they would do in terms of dictatorship.

Your and I apparently have a different database in respect to Thailand.

But but but.... They were elected. But the Dems. But it's politically motivated.

Maybe it's political that these charges were not probed long ago.

It's part of the plan.The Democrats can't win elections so the choice for the old guard is either a military coup or judicial intervention.Suthep is doing the old guard's groundwork so that the country is as chaotic as possible.It's now understood a coup would be counterproductive so the chosen method of trashing an elected government is directed judicial activism.The courts have been packed with partisan yellow judges.

http://www.dw.de/military-undecided-in-thailand-conflict/a-17361237

I do agree.

And a reform of the justice is the first reform the country needs in order evolve in the right direction.

A neutral justice system and a government taking the interests of the people into account. That is what is needed.

For the government there is Yingluck and the PT already. No problem.

But for the justice system to be neutral lots of things should be changed.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

" a government taking the interests of the people into account"

"For the government there is Yingluck and the PT already. No problem."

Within the context of your post this is the funniest thing you have written for a while... I hope you do not have children here in Thailand. Because it seems like you want them saddled with spiraling government debt for 50 years or more..That's your "no problem" Ptp government.

still living under a bridge as you do.. i suppose a little humour is needed, even if it's black humour.

Always happy to help relax the atmosphere of this most depressing forum with my posts...

Thanks for the compliment :D

But but but.... They were elected. But the Dems. But it's politically motivated.

Maybe it's political that these charges were not probed long ago.

It's part of the plan.The Democrats can't win elections so the choice for the old guard is either a military coup or judicial intervention.Suthep is doing the old guard's groundwork so that the country is as chaotic as possible.It's now understood a coup would be counterproductive so the chosen method of trashing an elected government is directed judicial activism.The courts have been packed with partisan yellow judges.

http://www.dw.de/military-undecided-in-thailand-conflict/a-17361237

I do agree.

And a reform of the justice is the first reform the country needs in order evolve in the right direction.

A neutral justice system and a government taking the interests of the people into account. That is what is needed.

For the government there is Yingluck and the PT already. No problem.

But for the justice system to be neutral lots of things should be changed.

" a government taking the interests of the people into account"

"For the government there is Yingluck and the PT already. No problem."

Within the context of your post this is the funniest thing you have written for a while... I hope you do not have children here in Thailand. Because it seems like you want them saddled with spiraling government debt for 50 years or more..That's your "no problem" Ptp government.

still living under a bridge as you do.. i suppose a little humour is needed, even if it's black humour.

Always happy to help relax the atmosphere of this most depressing forum with my posts...

Thanks for the compliment :D