Thai nationality id card different for foreigners

Let's say that someone immigrated from indonesia to thailand, do they get different thai national card.

I know a girl who says she is from thailand, but she knows an awful lot of indonesian people so I thought maybe she was immigrated from indonesia.

This is how her id looks like.

Edited by Maestro
Removed photo of ID card because it displayed too many personal details (full ID number, full name and address, date of birth)

yes, I think one of the numbers indicates something, I vaguely remember reading a thread here on this subject, but I don't remember if there was some truth to it or if it was dismissed as an urban legend.

a forum or google search might turn up something

Edited by manarak

In the photo of the ID card I deleted in the OP because it showed too many personal details the first digit was 1

So quite sure, that the "indonesia theory" does not apply to this girl knowing a lot of indonesians.

100% Thai.

A litte strange this story.

Foreigners who have a yellow house book are assigned an ID starting with 6 btw.

8 would be the number to show that a person has been naturalized.

In the photo of the ID card I deleted in the OP because it showed too many personal details the first digit was 1

So quite sure, that the "indonesia theory" does not apply to this girl knowing a lot of indonesians.

100% Thai.

Incorrect ( Foreigners who have yellow house book are assigned an ID starting with 6)

100% Thai.

Incorrect ( Foreigners who have yellow house book are assigned an ID starting with 6)

id starts with a 5 another expert, totally incorrect

post-60884-0-41511300-1390015676_thumb.j

100% Thai.

At least your TV nick matches your real name ^_^

Thats the ID of the house and not yours.

Ever had a look on page 2 ???

That is a page of a foreigner in a house book:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681733-yellow-book-the-chicken-or-the-egg/#entry7044394

No idea, how to describe YOU blink.png

And i have totally no idea how to describe you KHUN

post-60884-0-27856800-1390018185_thumb.j

Edited by MikeandDow

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681733-yellow-book-the-chicken-or-the-egg/#entry7044394

I would say someone has to learn the difference between having an ID Number and having an ID Card. A housbook does include the ID Numbers of all the foreigners registered in it. It however is not an ID card.

What a looser you are to publish a photoshop of an ID number with an invalid check digit (last digit).

From your number it should be a "9" and not a "7' as seen.

Changing the leading "5" to a "6" gives check digit "7", what a chance.

Last post in this thread.

• Like 1

That is not an ID card it is a drivers license. It does not legally serve as an ID for foreigners.

There are special pink ID cards that can be issued to foreigners or stateless people.

It's about as good as any farang will get over here and I've used it many times as ID in leui of a passport ;)

• Like 1

What a looser you are to publish a photoshop of an ID number with an invalid check digit (last digit).

What algorithm did you use for the calculation of the check digit?

How can you be sure that the algorithm you are using is the same that the Thai government agency in charge of house registration books is using?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

100% Thai.

That 11 digit number (excluding the dashes which don't count) you are referring to is not the 13 digit ID number.

The 13 digit number is just below it to the left and it should be 13 digits in length (remember, don't count any dashes). In my yellow book I have a 11 digit number (not counting the dashes) like you are referring to (it happens to start with 1), but below that to the left is the 13 digit number (remember, don't count any dashes) and it starts with a 6 since I be a farang living in Thailand legally on a 1 year retirement extension of stay which meets the "temporary" status (year by year assuming my extension is approved each year) as identified in Maestro's/post #5.

What algorithm did you use for the calculation of the check digit?

How can you be sure that the algorithm you are using is the same that the Thai government agency in charge of house registration books is using?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So true about the algorithm used. I know my Yellow Book 13 digit number starts with a 6 and ends with a 6....and no matter how I try to add up different number combinations (using all 13 digits, or just the first 12 digits, or excluding the 1 and 13 digit, etc) composing the entire number I can't get a number ending with 6 for a check digit. Hard telling how the algorithm reaches that final number...possibly based on some other information other than just the 13 digit number itself.

So true about the algorithm used. I know my Yellow Book 13 digit number starts with a 6 and ends with a 6....and no matter how I try to add up different number combinations (using all 13 digits, or just the first 12 digits, or excluding the 1 and 13 digit, etc) composing the entire number I can't get a number ending with 6 for a check digit. Hard telling how the algorithm reaches that final number...possibly based on some other information other than just the 13 digit number itself.

The check digit calculation is a bit more complicated than that. A widely used 13-digit number is the GTIN (in Europe often still called by its old name EAN) and you can read about the algorithm for its check digit calculation here: http://www.gs1.org/barcodes/support/check_digit_calculator

The above link also lets you type any 12-digit number and it will calculate the corresponding check digit using the algorithm employed for GTIN. I did it with three Thai ID card numbers and it is evident that another algorithm is used for these but I have found no publicly accessible information about it.

The check digit calculation is a bit more complicated than that. A widely used 13-digit number is the GTIN (in Europe often still called by its old name EAN) and you can read about the algorithm for its check digit calculation here: http://www.gs1.org/barcodes/support/check_digit_calculator

The above link also lets you type any 12-digit number and it will calculate the corresponding check digit using the algorithm employed for GTIN. I did it with three Thai ID card numbers and it is evident that another algorithm is used for these but I have found no publicly accessible information about it.

Yea, no shortage of possible algorithms. This wikipedia article gives a short & sweet overview of check digits and a few algorithm examples.

You just do not know how to read your Yellowbook. Your ID number is on the page with your name, page one is for the house, not you. Look at page 2, that is where it will appear.

100% Thai.

The Indonesian thing is clearly nonsense. I know quite a few Americans but that doesn't make me one.

The prefix 8- is also given to foreigners when they obtain PR. So your number would change when you exchange your yellow tabian baan for a blue one. Then you retain the 8- prefix when you upgrade to Thai nationality.

• 9 months later...