Govt offices closed Monday 20/1 in Phuket

nedkellylives

Yesterday in Chalong,there was some sort of registration,desks set up and manned by men in military uniform.police directing traffic ,hundreds of people signing up.Anybody know what this was about.

^ The beginning of the end?

Great timing, I need to get papers from DBD for a renewal on my Work Permit this week, I guess I face overstay fines and deportation if not done by the end of the month?

Maybe this is just a memorial gesture for one day? Doubtful.

Maybe it really is time to just take the loss and leave, would l save quite bit on severance. Let Suthep give the staff jobs- they seem to think he is a messiah.

I can see it really going very, very bad- very, very fast.

Edited by EBlair48

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government protesters in all southern provinces were urged by protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban to shut down all offices of the government in their respective provinces as of Monday.

People’s Democratic Reform Committee secretary-general Suthep told a huge crowd of supporters at Pathumwan protest site Saturday night that members of the PDRC in all provinces must shut down government offices on Monday starting from southern provinces first.
He said that the protesters were not enemy of the police and urged those who disagreed with the planned shutdown to just stay still and not try to block the shutdown.

wEjPrT9.jpg

Odd how the PPEO just shut its doors last week with no provocation whatsoever . Guess the chief is tipping her political hand. She should be relieved of her job when ( if ) this is all over.

Any guesses- will the immigration police go along with this shutdown?

I need to be in several govt offices all week and driving throughout Phuket Town so I'm nurturing a real active hate for this power grab of Suthep's.

Anyone have any guesses if authorities will forgive expired work permits for a few weeks ?

To shutdown the provinces, which are supporting the PDRC. The action will cause annoyance and at some point financial loss for the people who live in these provinces. Probably not the best strategy.

To shutdown the provinces, which are supporting the PDRC. The action will cause annoyance and at some point financial loss for the people who live in these provinces. Probably not the best strategy.

Financial loss has incurred already.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Those monkeys don't forgive. Better get the wp thing pretty quickly. The head of that org said so a couple of weeks ago: no amnesty.

The PPEO office has been closed since last Tuesday, Dec 14th even before the protestors set their sites on the offices in Phuket, so it seems it was the Chief's personal decision in support of the protests. Seems to bit of dereliction of duties, though i doubt anyone cares of some foreigners lose their visa status due to WP expiring.

Where did you read "no amnesty"

BTW the telephone number of PPEO as reported by Gazette could be called 076 219 660 / 1 is not answered, nor is the number given for the desk set up at Big C. as told last week when I called.

With funeral procession today heading south on 402, I'm not venturing all the way near Central to find no one there.

Does anyone know if the Commercial registration office is the same as the Dept of Business development? I can find no listing for the number for that office ( DBD )

The PG had an article with an interview with her. Do a search on their website.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-Employment-Office-closed-due-to-anti-government-protests-23280.html

maybe this will help "Ms Yaowapa asked that any foreigners in urgent need of contacting her office call 076-219 660."

Thanks for that but I called the office last week last week and they informed me a desk was to be set up in Big C . They also gave me a cell number for the person at that desk, but last 2 days of calling both the office and the cell number got answer. However I did just now get through to the cell and thankfully I didn't make the drive today as I'm informed by K. " Ghoom " the desk is not operating, and the PPEO office wil lbe closed all this week but " might reopen next week."

What I want to know is why they closed on last Tuesday, the 14th. According to the Gazette article, the Chief Yaowapa states she was " asked to close" by Protest leaders , but no other national departmental offices were closed nor apparently are they now. ( according to Phuket News ) It's rather like she made the decision to support the protests on her own, and didn't mind causing quite a bit of consternation and trouble to any foreigners who might need the service.

I have also been trying to reach the Bangkok Labour Dept, to no avail.

Edited by EBlair48

Thank you again BUT Do you mean the second floor the the Phuket Provincial Employment Office at 38 / 27 Rattanakosin 200 Pee road ? They are not open, I talked to someone today as written above, you'll be wasting your time, and it might be a bit hairy out there with the new decree beginning tonight at midnight.

Good luck if you do go - maybe you could please go down the street and look for me if the DBD is open ( Dept Business Development - where you get papers of company registration , share holder list, etc. ) and I have no idea how to find a number for them. Google searches just come up with, " crack down on nominee " articles.

I do see in the PG Guide the Phuket Commercial Registration office, is that the same place? I kinda doubt it though address has it on the same road, at 38 / 12 Rattanakosin 200 Pee road- but all those Provincial departments are clustered there- another reason to stay away tomorrow

Cheers and be safe out there . I have a feeling the real storm is just starting.

Edited by EBlair48

Apologies, bit late reporting back. The Labour Dept gate was locked, the DBD is also locked up. Not a person to be seen along the entire road that houses many government departments. No demonstrators, nothing. Tried the 2nd floor in BigC. Desk is right next to the bowling entrance. No-one there, just sign saying closed. My wife enquired at the next desk, they said they had not seen any official from Labour Dept for many days. Tried calling the number listed. Nearly always engaged. a couple of time got through but no-one answered. Oh well - I give up.

^ Thanks for the update - You say second , but did you go to the third floor in Big C?

So it seems the DBD also on Pee road is also closed? Then I cannot even get the papers I need to put in the application for renewal.

Sick as hell last few day, glad I haven't wasted time driving around .

Regarding the Work Permit renewal , I spent the morning calling the 1111 govt help line service that told me the BOI in Chantaburi Square near Bangkok, one-stop service could help me, " Go to Bangkok " 02 209 1100-

( ext 2 for English gets Thai language )

The woman answering ( keep pressing 1 ) finally, explains that they can only help big companies under BOI
She refers me to Dept Employment, now apparently temporarily holed up in Chantaburi Square, "no direct number available" butl transfered me repeatedly ( five times ) to a phone that does not answer. ( calls made between 10:50 and 11:20 AM ) then hangs up.

On the sixth call, was put through to a man who informs me to call 081 777 3547 which is a call to an officer in Employment Office in Bangkok- that does not answer, either.

Phuket Gazette has just published this :

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-protesters-will-not-shut-down-emergency-services-leader-vows-23390.html

The Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO) is closed, but officers are working on the third floor at the Big C supercenter on the bypass road (map here).

“People can come to see us at Big C and pay their annual road tax. Any other services can be applied for at Big C as well,” PLTO Chief Transport Technician Jaturong Kaewkasi confirmed.

So it seems some govt services are attempting to be of service, and those that aren't have made a decision to support protestors undermining government services.

^

I was at the correct desk in Big C. I say 2nd floor as in basement, 1st, 2nd.

If my WP renewal gets knocked back and i have to start a brand new WP application again then so be it. It will be the time to retire from trying to run a business. My Thai wife can manage our business. These people could not run a piss up in a brewery.

Worst mistake I ever made was starting a business here, been nothing but hassle, hassle and more hassle.

And now this hassle.

Yes, time to go , take the loss, maybe I can write a book about what a fuster cluck this place is and recoup some of my losses.

Well I guess I'm illegally in the country after next week, so really no choice but to go out and come back in I'm not going to just leave everything I own to the neighbors, and it will take some time to get it packed up, or sold

I cannot deregister as employee in the company, so entering on a tourist visa is illegal, too.

Actually is that right? Is the social security office is closed, too?

• Like 1