You're experience in Thailand same as this one?

dude123

I know I was only there two weeks, but overall, the Thai people seemed quite friendly and easy going. I could imagine if you are the boistierous type, you're not going to do to well there, but I'm pretty laid back and enjoyed my stay. DIdn't like the stray dogs snarling at me though all over the place biggrin.png

... oh there you go.

only on a 2 week holiday but already don't like the dogs...

I tell you what, try to live here, and you will NOT like a hell lot of other things.

Why am I here? (still you should add), because I want my son out of this discriminating, self-centered, racist country and give him a chance to learn how to respect and value any color and race, in a civilised society!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I tend to agree stereotypes have it's place you can't make a blanket statement. It's culture here and the author is using western culture to judge another culture. It's like how it boggles me "farang" don't take off their shoes inside a home.

I was working out at fitness first the other day and this brute (Caucasian) was dropping weights so loud that everyone was glaring at him but he didn't give a care nor did he put away his weights.

At the end of day judge a person based on their own actions not an entire group.

Of course its not 100% of the society but is certainly a high enough % and done frequently enough to be significant.

In the years i have lived here i cannot recall one single time a local at mcdonalds, burger king or kfc took his/her food tray to the trash, dumping it and leaving the tray in the tray area. the same goes for just a drink or an ice cream without a tray. personally i do this automatically as a courtesy to subsequent customers not to mention it makes life a bit easier for the employees.

yes on occasion i run into dumb, rude foreigners also.

I know I was only there two weeks, but overall, the Thai people seemed quite friendly and easy going. I could imagine if you are the boistierous type, you're not going to do to well there, but I'm pretty laid back and enjoyed my stay. DIdn't like the stray dogs snarling at me though all over the place biggrin.png

... oh there you go.

I tell you what, try to live here, and you will NOT like a hell lot of other things.

Why am I here? (still you should add), because I want my son out of this discriminating, self-centered, racist country and give him a chance to learn how to respect and value any color and race, in a civilised society!

Or........you could educate your son to be a shining light for others to follow in a country that seems to desperatly need help. A huge task I might add.

Edited by dude123

Very good article and very accurate. I remember when I was new and completely enamoured with everything Thai and the people were so nice. Then reality began to settle in and I began to realize that all my Thai "friends" were only there when they were getting something from me...as soon as I served no purpose in their life they were gone, every single one of them! I still like it here but the rose coloured glasses have shattered. I am no longer interested in having any Thai friends. I have a good Thai wife and enjoy her extended family; that's all I need.

The people saying the article is too negative are just afraid of reality, stubbornly refusing to removed the rose coloured glasses. Just keep fooling yourselves!

prime example of my post, where else have you lived, apart from the UK?

I don't understand how you can take issue with my post. I am simply reporting my experience in Thailand. You don't have to like it but it's true.

Yes, completely subjective, but I was asking what experience you had outside of Thailand and UK?

I've lived here since 2008 and regard myself as a financial exile nowadays and I enjoy the sunshine. But it's an isolated life for a farang or you can team up with a thai lady but it allways end in tears and an empty wallet. As I saw in a very old movie put on Youtube, This is a land where mothers don't kiss their babies. Says it all really !

Why don't Thais move over for emergency vehicles? Haven't many people here had friends, relatives or spouses in an ambulance before and know its best to move over? If the poster has some truths I guess the Thai mentality is " It's not my wife possibly dying in the ambulance blaring in back of me". But it could be someone they know. I've traveled a lot but witness it here every week from my balcony during traffic and have not seen it in other countries.

Havent seen kerbs higher then here anywhere in the world

Dude. It need not be an all-or-nothing proposition. I tried it for a year (after numerous visits) but found that I preferred the lifestyle of OZ.

It does not need to be a life shattering experience.

That's true. OZ was always my first chocie btw! I was born there, love it and could still give it a try, but in reality I can't get my brother in, so it's realy a no go. My Wife adores OZ and her brother lives there too.

... oh there you go.

Or........you could educate your son to be a shining light for others to follow in a country that seems to desperatly need help. A huge task I might add.

Impossible task!

His Narcissist, Socio/Psychopath grandmother took possession of him, and trying to just to get close to my son - an even more impossible task.

(or I risk being attacked with an ax again)

Oh - I love Thai culture!

Make no mistake. It's not me telling this is Thai culture, it's Thai telling me!

And as a Farang, you're suppose to respect, or face harsh consequences!

Edited by NHT
  • Like 1

Ignore the news good or bad when making the jump. Just come and enjoy it. If you aren't hung up on life-must-be-a-certain-way, you will thrive here.

As for building your own insulated space... we all do that anywhere in the world to some degree. Likely you don't have to be any more insulated than where you are now.

• Like 1

... oh there you go.

Impossible task!

His Narcissist, Socio/Phsychopath grandmother took possession of him, and trying to just to get close to my son - an even more impossible task.

Ouch! Sounds like a movie in the making! You certainly have an intense thing going on over there, I wish you only the best. I can only imagine that it must be a huge emotional strain on yourself.

Ignore the news good or bad when making the jump. Just come and enjoy it. If you aren't hung up on life-must-be-a-certain-way, you will thrive here. As for building your own insulated space... we all do that anywhere in the world to some degree. Likely you don't have to be any more insulated than where you are now.

Interesting.

Personally, I think potential retired expats here should be strongly DISCOURAGED from moving here. Nobody is inviting them. Thailand certainly isn't just because they offer an extremely conditional "visa" that has an endless short leash with no chance ever of increasing residency status. Yes, some always will come, and some will be happy with the choice, but in my view that's a small minority of people and that's how it should be. This country is NOT for everyone! No country is of course, but Thailand has it's own special peculiarities which no, you cannot possibly begin to understand until you've lived here a long time, and by then, you've made a commitment (wisely or not). I think trying to oversell the wonderfulness of retiring in Thailand is perhaps apt for condo salesmen but not an ethical stance in general. Also, read the newspapers, it's not getting better.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

As Western expats, we would do well to analyze our own problematic patterns of intellectual laziness before we attempt to make sweeping generalizations about a culture

most of us know far less about.

So not caring enough to move over and let an ambulance pass to help someone who is injured is a cultural thing that you think should be accepted?

Not caring about conservation of life in any country is heinous.

You should stop being a Thai apologist and live by the rules of common human decency.

Errm I've seen many folks move over for an ambulance, next?

I have to admit, when I started this thread, I never expexted it to be such an eye opener for me. I really thank all of you for your posts and observations. It is indeed a very different culture than the West. I think the biggest surprise for me is in general the statement that Thais don't feel "guilt". That took me back a little. That is like saying that in general Thais have a black heart. That is very sad, and I hope it is not true, but at the same time, why would they be so disrespectful as to not pull over for an ambulance or firetruck. I just don't understand the apathy in it all. I sincerely have second thoughts about retiring here.

No it means nothing of the sort. If you knew any other language you'd know there are sometimes words that don't match but have similar meanings, or there are different words for situations not covered by English. This is certainly the case for German and Spanish, can't comment on Thai but the logic should follow.

As for asking for guidance on TV, whatever it is, expect 90% negativity, and you won't be shocked. I must be the only person in Thailand that's seen traffic move over for ambulances.which seems an obsession for some.

Ignore the news good or bad when making the jump. Just come and enjoy it. If you aren't hung up on life-must-be-a-certain-way, you will thrive here. As for building your own insulated space... we all do that anywhere in the world to some degree. Likely you don't have to be any more insulated than where you are now.

Interesting.

Personally, I think potential retired expats here should be strongly DISCOURAGED from moving here. Nobody is inviting them. Thailand certainly isn't just because they offer an extremely conditional "visa" that has an endless short leash with no chance ever of increasing residency status. Yes, some always will come, and some will be happy with the choice, but in my view that's a small minority of people and that's how it should be. This country is NOT for everyone! No country is of course, but Thailand has it's own special peculiarities which no, you cannot possibly begin to understand until you've live here a long time, and by then, you've made a commitment (wisely or not).

same same and agreed on your point. If someone is already planning and/or liked Thailand on vacation, not much point in reading personal opinions that are colored IMHO.

Given all the other expat options where we can make decisions based on cold facts of costs, lifestyle, etc. it seems like most who are on TV and not in LOS yet have it narrowed down to here or 1-2 other places. So... make of it what you will.

Why don't Thais move over for emergency vehicles? Haven't many people here had friends, relatives or spouses in an ambulance before and know its best to move over? If the poster has some truths I guess the Thai mentality is " It's not my wife possibly dying in the ambulance blaring in back of me". But it could be someone they know. I've traveled a lot but witness it here every week from my balcony during traffic and have not seen it in other countries.

Havent seen kerbs higher then here anywhere in the world

GO TO SPAIN PAL

Quelle Surprise! All the classics are rolling out already "You're a guest here, if you don't like it then leave...." "People who don't share our rose-tinted view of life here, must be "social misfits" and "Your own countries have the same problems" and so on....

Would be nice to see someone actually try and counter the points made in the article instead of reverting to the same tired old clichés...time after time....

That's a little difficult to do when many of his observations are subjective and others may be a simple hearsay or one off events. But never mind, you keep on slagging off and cheering on the neg heads. Must make you happy, glad something does!

In the years i have lived here i cannot recall one single time a local at mcdonalds, burger king or kfc took his/her food tray to the trash, dumping it and leaving the tray in the tray area. the same goes for just a drink or an ice cream without a tray. personally i do this automatically as a courtesy to subsequent customers not to mention it makes life a bit easier for the employees.

Ditto but you know what that's just the way I was raised.

I strongly believe you get back what you return (no pun intended).

On a few occasions, Thai people have politely told me when I have dropped things even an iPod nano. Maybe because I'm asian and they think I'm Thai as well. Irregardless there are well mannered, polite, and considerate Thais and there's the other side. It's these random acts of kindness that makes it worthwhile.

I have too many times encountered rude tourists that don't even say thank-you after you have helped them.

• Like 1

Impossible task!

His Narcissist, Socio/Phsychopath grandmother took possession of him, and trying to just to get close to my son - an even more impossible task.

Ouch! Sounds like a movie in the making! You certainly have an intense thing going on over there, I wish you only the best. I can only imagine that it must be a huge emotional strain on yourself.

Beyond anyone's comprehension, if not experiencing himself (I am sexist here, simply because this discrimination only affects a "male" Farang)

Never ever I would have imagined to find such high cruelty, inhumanity levels in a land that is accused of being the "Land of smiles".

Mind you, there are now more Thai (negative) involved than one could think off. All just turning away with a blind eye.

Maybe it is a movie. It certainly is a book!

I think the observations by Bart Walters goes for all Asians, its just different from the west.

And regarding Buddhism, don't ever make the mistake to think that people actually understands or cares about the Buddhist core philosophy (just like most Christians don't have a clue about the christian philosophy, even if they read the bible every day, Former president Bush a good example). If Buddha himself could see today what people are doing in his name he would cry. Praying in front of statues of himself is exactly the kind of thing that would disgust him.

Enlightened beings have compassion but they do not feel negative emotions such as "disgust".

The important point is perhaps to see things but not react in a negative way. Two wrongs have never made a right.

Beyond anyone's comprehension, if not experiencing himself (I am sexist here, simply because this discrimination only affects a "male" Farang)

Never ever I would have imagined to find such high cruelty, inhumanity levels in a land that is accused of being the "Land of smiles".

Mind you, there are now more Thai (negative) involved than one could think off. All just turning away with a blind eye.

Maybe it is a movie. It certainly is a book!

I hope they're not doing this to try and extort money from you?

Not my business tongue.png ... but why does the OP want to retire in a country he barely knows from experience?

That's why I chose to post first before making the jump tongue.png

Go and see for yourself. No need to make the decision while still in your home country. Take your time, rent a cheap apartment on a month by month basis and take trips all over to find your favorite places.

When I complain about the bad inconsiderate behaviour of neighbours , my wife always say ," In Thailand People Do what They Like ", without consideration

for anyone else . Thais can be very kind , but in general are very selfish . Thai people may call themselves Buddhist , but the religion in practice has

little connection the the Buddhist philosophy .

Essentially, Buddhism is not a religion. It is only called a religion by other religions. Basically what you get comes from your previous actions, no God involved. Universal philosophy which works everywhere, no matter in Buddhist country or not.

With the best wishes

When you are in an environment where cheating, stealing and lying are endemic, particularly by those in authority, local politicians, local govt officials, business owners, it is a very small step to act in an equally selfish manner.

Societies are precisely that. People within a society or group tend to copy each other's behaviour. Nobody picks up litter so little Johnny grows up learning not to pick up litter. Johnny's uncle walks past a man hitting his wife, little Johnny learns not to interfere in domestics. Johnny's older brother hits a car with with his motorbike and quickly flees, Johnny learns to do a runner.

• Like 1

When I complain about the bad inconsiderate behaviour of neighbours , my wife always say ," In Thailand People Do what They Like ", without consideration

for anyone else . Thais can be very kind , but in general are very selfish . Thai people may call themselves Buddhist , but the religion in practice has

little connection the the Buddhist philosophy .

Essentially, Buddhism is not a religion. It is only called a religion by other religions. Basically what you get comes from your previous actions, no God involved. Universal philosophy which works everywhere, no matter in Buddhist country or not.

With the best wishes

Buddhism IS a religion and so is GOVERNMENT! Logic is the west way to act