Thai Commerce Minister says govt needs 180 billion baht to pay rice farmers

webfact

Niwatthamrong says government needs 180 billion baht to pay farmers

1-16-2014-1-14-42-PM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan said yesterday the caretaker government needs 180 billion baht to pay farmers who have sold rice to the government under the rice pledging scheme.

Niwatthamrong disclosed the figures of funds to be used to fund its rice pleding scheme for the 2013/2014 harvest crop year as the caretaker Finance Minister Kittirat na Ranong is to meet the Election Commission in Chonburi today to discuss its loan request.

The commerce minister begged the EC to understand the need of the government to pay farmers who are suffering from late payment.

He said if the EC is “cruel” and rejects its request, the government a contingency plan to cope with.

He assured that the 130 billion baht loan which the government is going to secure will not commit the new government as it was the original resolution of the cabinet which had endorsed the Finance Ministry to seek loans to support the rice scheme.

He explained that the rice-pledging scheme for 2013/2014 crop year, the government has already paid 54.95 billion baht to farmers, but still fall short of a huge sum of 180 billion baht to finance the while rice scheme.

If the EC endorses the government’s 130 billion baht loans, the money will be enough to pay 20 million farmers or 4-5 million households

He said if this request is rejected, the government has a plan to seek loans from other sources, both domestic and overseas, adding that it will not seek from banks.

Niwatthamrong said the government now has three scenarios in its consultation with the EC in case the loan is endorsed, rejected, or partly endorsed.

He also begged the state bank unions to understand the government’s need for loans reasoning banks will benefit from interest if they endorsed loans for the government.

EC is now blamed by several caretaker cabinet ministers of being a cause for the government’s rice payment delay.

But the claim was dismissed by the opposition and protest leaders as a final struggle of the government to stay in office and blame the others for the delay.

They said the delay was just an excuse as in fact, the underlying truth is that the government has no money to pay because of rampant corruption in the pledging scheme.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/niwatthamrong-says-government-needs-180-billion-baht-pay-farmers/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-01-21

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few points from an ignorant foreigner

he difference between 180 less 54.95 billions is 125.05

Is the other 4.95 for the tea fund.

Upon dissolution the house supply was no longer possible.

As the 2nd February cannot possibly produce sufficient quorum the farmers look likely to be unpaid for a while.

While political reforms can wait food on the table seems more urgent.

I foresee a lot of angry farmers ,how they will behave and who leads them will be crucial.

However floored rice subsdy or any subsidy once promised folks have a habit of spending it weddings babies tractors etc.The seconary disaster which is a corollary is that unless finance is timelythe next harvest will be in jeopardy.

While bye elections in the South will take time and drag out the process the disorder and permanent damage to whole swathes of Esan will be painful.

• Like 2

..a drop in the ocean relative to reserves ( not that I support the scheme as structured)

You like TS cannot get your mind's off Thailand's foreign reserves, why is that?

Because some people like to raise the speculation that Thailand cannot meet its debts. It can...plenty of reserves, a healthy bottom line, even in the context of some bad policies. This not like the govts following the last coup...they ran mega deficits of hundreds of billions of Baht

• Like 2

..a drop in the ocean relative to reserves ( not that I support the scheme as structured)

You like TS cannot get your mind's off Thailand's foreign reserves, why is that?

Because some people like to raise the speculation that Thailand cannot meet its debts. It can...plenty of reserves, a healthy bottom line, even in the context of some bad policies. This not like the govts following the last coup...they ran mega deficits of hundreds of billions of Baht

My question is still the same. The government owes and wants to borrow Baht 180 Billion to pay farmers for rice pledges, what has that go to do with foreign reserves? Where is the collateral for this massive loan, the foreign reserves?

• Like 2

I just can't understand why they don't have the money to hand, or at least contingency arrangements to cover a shortfall. It's hard to believe their planning is *that* bad.

Thailand can still pay its debts, true. But with a scheme like this it is changing quickly. Foreign reserves are at 167 billion usd, and debt 120 billion. So there is room. But with the proposed infrastructure loan of 2.2 trillion baht (70b usd) it gets dangerous.

Regarding previous deficits compared to now; isn't the rice pledge scheme an of-budget deal? In that case realistically you can also count it as hundred of billions baht in deficit, as that money isn't coming back.

yes, true. The point from another poster about the previous govts not running deficits is nonsense

• Like 2

I just can't understand why they don't have the money to hand, or at least contingency arrangements to cover a shortfall. It's hard to believe their planning is *that* bad.

agree...but they can't sell the rice...no cash

agree...but they can't sell the rice...no cash

That is because of the stupid rice scam.. they can sell it but nobody wants it at the price they must sell. Else even more losses come out.