LED emergency lights from Thai Watsadu

Daffy D

Browsing round the Thai Watsadu store the other day I came across a section of LED torches and lanterns. Had not noticed them before so maybe a new line, anyway I was impressed by their rechargeable LED Lanterns.

Not technically a emergency light as it is not wired to come on automatically when the power fails but the larger one gives an impressive 15hours of light from the charged up internal battery.

According to the blurb the battery will be good to use up to several months on stand by before need to recharge.

The 15hour version cost about 700bt I bought the smaller 10hour version for just over 300bt.

These lights are bright enough to light up a whole room so good for emergency lighting but can also be used in the garden shed or for the BBQ or just about anything you need some light for without having to run cables from the house.

Just thought I'd share.

post-35075-0-35784600-1390357202_thumb.j

I've had a couple of similar LED emergency light for about 3 years....they stay plugged in to sense when the power goes off and to keep the battery charged. But about 6 months ago the battery failed in one (a 4V sealed lead acid battery) of the two lanterns...by failed I mean it just wasn't maintaining much of charge. The other lantern is still working/maintaining a good charge just fine. I haven't been able to find a replacement anywhere in stores or online....the manufacturer probably made a one-time BIG order of special batteries when making the particular lantern I have. The life span of these types of LED powered lanterns is pretty much governed by "can you find replacement rechargeable batteries for the particular model you have" when the battery fails to maintain a charge. Since that probably may be low for "many" of these ever changing lantern models it's probably best not to pay too much for one. Plan on getting a couple years of life out of it...it you get a lot more then that's great.

• 4 months later...

The LED lights I have purchased seemed to hold as Pib said but I have had more LED segment failures. One light unit within a year several LEDs on the panel failed and continue to fail one at a time. This has happened on at least 2 LED lights. I suspect these cheap Chinese lights are made with the lowest quality LEDs. I would try to replace the LED segments as the circuit boards are easy to get to but I don't know where to find the LEDs

Purchased the same brand, but the model with 2 banks of 6 LED bulbs (can switch to use either 6 or 12 based upon your need) and also has 4 LED's set in for use as a spot light... Originally purchased to replace older rechargable handheld Spot Light that died after 5 years... My GF fell in love with this new Tech / Toy and now uses it almost nightly in the bedroom as Mood Lighting while watching TV and various other more physical activities... Due to the almost constant / nightly 1 to 2 hours use we find that the bulbs start to dim after about a week or so, but an allday recharge brings it right back to full brightness.. As there are 5 or us living in the house, I am thinking of buying at least one more to have available for when the power actually does go out...

Pianoman

Mine still works just fine.

Admittedly it does not get much use, just for the occasional power out or if I need to go down the garden at night. It give a better spread of light than a torch.

Most of the time it's sitting there waiting to be used. I charge it every couple of months.

biggrin.png

Thanks for sharing this shop name. When I thought of buying emergency lights online there were limited options to choose from. However, after seeing some shops, I finally purchased LED emergency lights from emergencylight.com due to their high quality at affordable price. Now I have seen the collection of your shops and truly it has some amazing option at very reasonable cost. I liked it.