I'll tell you why

yourauntbob

Asking questions and questioning the teacher are two different things entirely. My students are always asking me things.

I agree the school system is deeply flawed, but there are many students who ask tons of stuff and genuinely want to learn.

As for the OP and the people who seem to feel the same way? Having total disdain and dislike for a country and its' people, but staying because it's cheap and you have a live-in cook/sex slave (wife) seems totally sexist and inappropriate.

And I submit that you're getting a lot more interaction in your classes than 99% of the Thai teachers out there.

At my international school, we've found it takes a long time - certainly terms, sometimes years - to get the kids coming out of the Thai school system to start contributing. They do get there eventually, but sometimes it really is like pulling teeth.

In secondary it is critical that they do also start questioning the teacher, as in challenging statements and seeking the truth independently. Otherwise when it's time for them to go to uni in the west (which 80% of them do) they're just not going to make the grade. . .

• Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, great! All except the last paragraph. Sounds to me like you have found a subservient, house servant rather than a wife. So I can only gather she is the exact opposite of your previous spouse. Thus you enjoy living here?

Maybe I am reading too much into this but you have less a marriage, but more a owner/servant relationship. But if it works for you excellent, and I fully agree it is a good reason to be living here.

Cheers.

i can see how it reads like that. believe me the relationship goes both ways. i certainly have my choirs and responsibilities. i was only trying to highlight how great she treats me and keep the spotlight off myself. its not the case like on another thread that i call up stairs for her to come down and open my beer, if i did i would have it being broken over my head.cheesy.gif .

and no prior marriages thumbsup.gif

And you will appreciate your wife even more if you were married before with western women....I was married 3 times before my Thai wife...and I never felt so in love and so happy in my all life..even if I have complaints some times about the Thainess...Her respond always is..sabai...sabai...and she is totally right. We..farangs...take things too seriously some times...and can not see what is really important.... Live to learn...learn to live...and that includes different cultures....and learning to smile and have fun with simple inconveniences..

• Like 1

Asking questions and questioning the teacher are two different things entirely. My students are always asking me things.

I agree the school system is deeply flawed, but there are many students who ask tons of stuff and genuinely want to learn.

As for the OP and the people who seem to feel the same way? Having total disdain and dislike for a country and its' people, but staying because it's cheap and you have a live-in cook/sex slave (wife) seems totally sexist and inappropriate.

And I submit that you're getting a lot more interaction in your classes than 99% of the Thai teachers out there.

At my international school, we've found it takes a long time - certainly terms, sometimes years - to get the kids coming out of the Thai school system to start contributing. They do get there eventually, but sometimes it really is like pulling teeth.

In secondary it is critical that they do also start questioning the teacher, as in challenging statements and seeking the truth independently. Otherwise when it's time for them to go to uni in the west (which 80% of them do) they're just not going to make the grade. . .

Could you give me an example of when questioning the teacher would be appropriate. Not in philosophical terms or in general but just one specific example of the positive aspect of questioning what the instructor is teaching.

I keep thinking about 2 +2 =4. Why would I want a student to question that?

Edited by thailiketoo

Excellent post YAB! You have covered most things that need to be addressed to live in peace here.

You think so??!! i mean, the guy's effectively saying that the only reason he remains here is his remarkably attentive wife.

I don't think that "covers most things".

Not being rude but it means - to all intents and purposes - that he lives in a bubble.

Obviously, it's working for him but it's no example to follow, I'm afraid

Edited by HardenedSoul

The OP has found and stays with a beautiful wife,and he is very lucky.There are real "gems" out there just waiting to be found and it can make all the difference to being happy or unhappy here.

Thai culture is here to be "understood" not changed.When we come to live here we should accept this and mold ourselves around this.This way can help us be happy here.

On the other hand if we have landed ourselves in an unhappy relationship this can sour our view of everything else here in thailand.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

I am not happy with my wife but I am happy with my kids. Being able to stay with them makes putting up with my wife and the things I do not like about Thailand worth it.

As for Thailand itself I think the good outweighs the bad but I still reserve the right to complain about the bad.

• Like 2

In the US I spent years as a business manager or director of operations. In essence, my raison d'etre was to constantly keep the time / pressure / continuum on schedule. Deadlines; targets; competition; survival of the fittest exemplified. Any American that says earning that "American Dream" is easy - is clinically insane.

So retired in Thailand, I thought I had already died and went to heaven.

No set time schedules

Smiles instead of scowls on the street.

Wonderful food.

The cops are friendly - in fact fun to talk to.

No nanny state regulations.

No sissy terrorist alerts every two or three days.

Health care with a smile at 30% of the US.

None of that silly American sense of urgency.

Living in a nation not constantly involved in military conflicts all over the world.

Living in an environment not awash with religious nutters.

Enjoy Thailand, my friends ... Like a famous hotel, you can check-in, but you can never check out.

• Like 2

Could you give me an example of when questioning the teacher would be appropriate. Not in philosophical terms or in general but just one specific example of the positive aspect of questioning what the instructor is teaching.

forget the math and think of other subjects that they can ask why?

• Like 1

Quote: "This brings me to another thing about Thai culture that drives me up a wall, the school system. Here in Thailand, school is meant to be fun! No need for hard work, or critical thinking, just smile and show up (late mind you) and we will move you right along. Actually, don’t ask the teacher any questions because that means you’re a) dumb, cool.png not listening. Talk about setting up a person to fail later in life."

I've always believed (and still do) that the reason questions usually are not asked or in some cases even allowed in class is that it would cause the teacher--not the student--to lose face. If questioned, it means that the teacher is not doing her or his job properly. She is the elder, the one to be respected, of course, and she has gone to a university. To ask a question that the teacher may be unprepared to answer would be embarrassing for all.

But the result is the same, i.e., the student is not allowed to live up to his or her potential, which is a disservice to society.

The government school my kids went to during p1-6 had a great way of taking care of questions in class. Maybe the teacher knew the answer and maybe she didn't but instead of answering the question she divided the class into 3 groups and sent them out to research the answer. Each group used a different means of research.

Some education systems try to encourage students to think rather than just memorizing facts.

Given that we're constantly connected to all the facts we need these days, it's critical thinking that is the key to success in the competitive global economy.

If a teacher claims "Thai culture is superior to any other" do you REALLY think it's in the students' interest to just accept that?

What about "Khmer people are dirty thieves"?

Or "reality is structured with three dimensions plus time"?

Or "too much democracy is a bad thing"?

All of these things require deep thought, research and open discussion, and therefore a teacher who's perfectly willing to be proven wrong by a student.

When I teach ICT, I would be a very bad teacher if I didn't openly admit right up front that there were many specific topics we're going to address where some students may know a lot more than me.

By holding their superior knowledge up for others to learn from and emulate, my students will learn a lot more than by my pretending I'm Mr Know-it-all.

And when a student corrects me, they always get public praise for their knowledge and courage.

• Like 2

Firstly, if I can call you Bob, I did read all of Your Post and I did enjoy it. It was truthful from the heart and I honestly don't think too many people who have lived here any length of time can disagree with the things that you talked about, that could normally frustrate anyone. But even though it is easy for me to see you are an intelligent man, I can also see you are a confused man about something's.

I normally throw in my two cents worth here, so consider this worth that much, I guess before you would even take me seriously, I need to tell you a little about myself. I am 59 Years Old and have been living Over-seas for over 20 years in many, many, different countries. Perhaps some of the worst places in the world. I honestly can't find on a map too many places I have not been to. So there you have it.

You already know what your problem is Bob, although you do not know it is a problem for you. You said "You know it is not the Thais fault, but you can't help that this drives you nuts!". I can understand that. You also know that only you can change that Bob. But why should you? Then you told us about your Lovely Thai Wife who treats you like Gold. This is why you need to change Bob! Why you probably came here to live in the first place, which in my view was not a mistake. Being unhappy here is!

So this is where my advice comes in. Stop and correct me anytime you think I am wrong, or a Liar, but not for my spelling mistakes, as English Teachers like to do. You came to Thailand to start a "New Life". For reasons unknown! Perhaps your Lovely Thai Woman, that made you take this giant step. Perhaps life back home for you was not so bad. Maybe even good in some ways.

But something very important was missing in your life that prevented you from being happy, and you knew that. Perhaps it was a Woman, as you were lonely, which would be normal for any Man without a Woman. Well for Gays to! But You Guys (Gal's) get my meaning for everyone! Lonely from a recent Divorce maybe, Separation, Break-up with your Girl Friend, or whatever!.There is no crime in that Bob! Being Lonely is Terrible! Adam proved that in the Bible, by almost dying until Eve showed up. After spending a thousand years with her, sleeping with her every night, and a couple of kids, he probable wished he committed suicide then instead. But that is another story!

I don't know you Bob, but I am sure you thought long and hard before coming over here to Thailand to live in your new life. Happy and excited about the new adventure in front of you. Probably planned everything well ahead of time, before your left, knowing you could get a job here, Kissed your mom good-bye. promised to see her soon, and loaded up with all your excess baggage.

That would be again normal for most of us. But did you do a Baggage Check on your "Excess Baggage" before you left Bob? I am not talking about the 2 or 3 bags you brought, but the invisible ones you brought. The 2 or 3 Box Car Loads from your Home Land! Might not know that, but you did, by your post.

You expected things to be different here Bob, but not so much. You are upset because you brought your culture with you, and expected it to fit into theirs. Like a Big Brand New Refrigerator that you brought, but discovered the Plug Ins are different, so you are frustrated and upset about that. Why don't they Fit!!!??? It is because this is not supposed to fit Bob. You are supposed to fit! Your Fridge comes from your Home Land, and their Fridge belongs here. Get My Point!

You hate driving here! I can understand that. I do to! So I don't! I find other ways! Don't put yourself doing things you did back home but hate here! Change that! Move if you need to get closer to work! Take a Baht Bus earlier and have a good time talking to strangers. Get a 100cc Motor Bike and have the Wife Drive you around. I discovered all Thai Women are now born with that in there hands! Do you feel foolish doing that? Who Cares Here! This is part of why you came here! Or go to Amsterdam and watch the Professors going to work on a Bicycle.

As I said, I have worked Over-seas a greater part of my life. I was taught early, and listened to what one Old Expat told me, which I still hold high today. He told me that there was 3 Golden "C" to working Over-seas to being happy. So I will share this with you.

1) Don't Compare! (to you home country)

2) Don't Criticize!

3) Don't Complain!

Honestly Bob, how many of those did you pass? Zero maybe? Oh Ya! I forgo!. No Fail Rate in Thailand!

So Sorry! I am still learning to!

Bob! It is You that has to change and not Thailand, or it's Beautiful People. Understand that! Stop doing the things you hate here, but did back home, and change! Come to work late to by Baht Bus to work! You have this impression they want you for your great knowledge, and culture. But what they really want is your English Language Skills, and knowledge, and hope you will adapt to their Culture, in their Country!

Which if you were in my country, you get a Big F so far. Which we still Fail Students like You!

Okay?

• Like 1

OK. Lets see,hmmm. Lets say I'm teaching driver's education. Now Somchai before you enter the highway you look both ways. Got it? Somchai, "no I want to question that." Just because you are the teacher doesn't mean you know everything. biggrin.png

Or maybe the political science teacher. Now Somchai, how is a leader selected in a Democracy? The answer is, election. Somchai, "I don't believe you,"

Or the Army airborne instructor as we get ready to jump out of the plane. Somchai, count to ten and pull that cord. Somchai, "what happens if I count to 100 .......splat."

• Like 1

Excellent post YAB! You have covered most things that need to be addressed to live in peace here.

You think so??!! i mean, the guy's effectively saying that the only reason he remains here is his remarkably attentive wife.

I don't think that "covers most things".

Not being rude but it means - to all intents and purposes - that he lives in a bubble.

Obviously, it's working for him but it's no example to follow, I'm afraid

the attentiveness is a byproduct of her personality. she takes care of her family and friends (when they visit our home), and business partners in the same fashion.

and i am far from a hermit or living in a bubble. if i was living in a bubble this post would not be possible. do not take me wrong, as in the second paragraph, there is many things i love about Thailand. its just that there are many things about Thai culture that rub me the wrong way.

to some of the other posts. yes there are things wrong with every country, i have simply gotten to the point were i wouldnt mind seeing something new or being closer to my family. if/when i am back in the states, there will be many things to complain about their too and i hope i have a outlet to do my venting.

Edited by yourauntbob

Some education systems try to encourage students to think rather than just memorizing facts.

Given that we're constantly connected to all the facts we need these days, it's critical thinking that is the key to success in the competitive global economy.

If a teacher claims "Thai culture is superior to any other" do you REALLY think it's in the students' interest to just accept that?

All of these things require deep thought, research and open discussion, and therefore a teacher who's perfectly willing to be proven wrong by a student.

When I teach ICT, I would be a very bad teacher if I didn't openly admit right up front that there were many specific topics we're going to address where some students may know a lot more than me.

By holding their superior knowledge up for others to learn from and emulate, my students will learn a lot more than by my pretending I'm Mr Know-it-all.

And when a student corrects me, they always get public praise for their knowledge and courage.

You wrote, "In secondary it is critical that they do also start questioning the teacher, as in challenging statements and seeking the truth independently."

I wrote, "Could you give me an example of when questioning the teacher would be appropriate. Not in philosophical terms or in general but just one specific example of the positive aspect of questioning what the instructor is teaching."

I don't think you can. I don't you can give me an example in secondary education where you would want one student to question something the teacher was teaching all the students.

Asking students with more knowledge than the teacher to share their knowledge is hardly asking students to question the teacher. In other words. Student gives information. Teacher says yes that's right and off you go.

But I'm waiting for you to give me one specific example of s secondary student where you would want that student to question (disagree with) something the teacher was teaching the other students.

OK. Lets see,hmmm. Lets say I'm teaching driver's education. Now Somchai before you enter the highway you look both ways. Got it? Somchai, "no I want to question that." Just because you are the teacher doesn't mean you know everything. biggrin.png

Or maybe the political science teacher. Now Somchai, how is a leader selected in a Democracy? The answer is, election. Somchai, "I don't believe you,"

Or the Army airborne instructor as we get ready to jump out of the plane. Somchai, count to ten and pull that cord. Somchai, "what happens if I count to 100 .......splat."

your post doesnt disprove that questions are good, just that timing needs to be appropriate cheesy.gif . in the second question, i would challenge Somchai to state an argument for his case. this will allow the teacher to analysis his response and correct his error.

even in math. if a student was to say 2+2 does not equal 4, ask them to explain their reasoning. in many cases having them talk it out and having their peers help them correct their mistake lead to a great deal more learning than the teacher simply saying "the answer is 4." sometimes as my students are orally expressing their thought process they realize their mistake. conversation in the classroom is critical to students developing their analytical skills and truly understanding topics. it also helps their peers, the average person retains 3x more knowledge when they teach it to someone else instead of just listening to what is being said.

Edited by yourauntbob
  • Like 1

How about you stick to asking a question instead of being .....?

Lets say I'm teaching driver's education.

Now Somchai before you enter the highway you look both ways. Got it? Somchai, "why?"

Then explain why. So you don't get smucked by the car or motorcycle that is on the wrong side of the road.

In all of your examples it would be appropriate to ask why if the teacher did not already tell them and they could not figure it out on their own.

I have kids and I get asked why all the time. When they ask i explain it to them and always have. I have never told them "because I said so."

your post doesnt disprove that questions are good, just that timing needs to be appropriate cheesy.gif . in the second question, i would challenge Somchai to state an argument for his case. this will allow the teacher to analysis his response and correct his error.

even in math. if a student was to say 2+2 does not equal 4, ask them to explain their reasoning. in many cases having them talk it out and having their peers help them correct their mistake lead to a great deal more learning than the teacher simply saying "the answer is 4." sometimes as my students are orally expressing their thought process they realize their mistake. conversation in the classroom is critical to students developing their analytical skills and truly understanding topics. it also helps their peers, the average person retains 3x more knowledge when they teach it to someone else instead of just listening to what is being said.

It does not take the student long to discover he is never right. I went to Catholic schools for 16 years and I'm an atheist. I just shut up and repeated what they told me like a monkey.

Asking someone to explain is not the same as "questioning the teacher."

My Religion in instructor told me that an infinite series of causes and effects is not as logical as an infinite prime mover. I disagreed and asked him to prove it. He knocked me out of my desk on the floor and kicked me. That is one way of proving it.biggrin.png

• Like 1

You wrote, "In secondary it is critical that they do also start questioning the teacher, as in challenging statements and seeking the truth independently."

I wrote, "Could you give me an example of when questioning the teacher would be appropriate. Not in philosophical terms or in general but just one specific example of the positive aspect of questioning what the instructor is teaching."

I don't think you can. I don't you can give me an example in secondary education where you would want one student to question something the teacher was teaching all the students.

Asking students with more knowledge than the teacher to share their knowledge is hardly asking students to question the teacher. In other words. Student gives information. Teacher says yes that's right and off you go.

But I'm waiting for you to give me one specific example of s secondary student where you would want that student to question (disagree with) something the teacher was teaching the other students.

as stated in the post above, i want my students to question everything I tell them. they can even tell me they think i am wrong as long as they can argue their point. in most cases, the students will accept that challenge but speak respectfully. any exchange that ensues will lead to a better understanding of the subject matter. a specific example would take too much time to reconstruct as it is now time for me to get some sleep. tongue.png

• Like 1

Einstein questioned Newton's laws. That is how I meant questioning. As far as asking a Thai instructor to explain something I saw that every day. But I don't think that is what you all were talking about.

It does not take the student long to discover he is never right. I went to Catholic schools for 16 years and I'm an atheist. I just shut up and repeated what they told me like a monkey.

Asking someone to explain is not the same as "questioning the teacher."

My Religion in instructor told me that an infinite series of causes and effects is not as logical as an infinite prime mover. I disagreed and asked him to prove it. He knocked me out of my desk on the floor and kicked me. That is one way of proving it.biggrin.png

sorry to hear you had a bad teacher, IMHO a good teacher wants the students to debate and ponder the material.

• Like 1

as stated in the post above, i want my students to question everything I tell them. they can even tell me they think i am wrong as long as they can argue their point. in most cases, the students will accept that challenge but speak respectfully. any exchange that ensues will lead to a better understanding of the subject matter. a specific example would take too much time to reconstruct as it is now time for me to get some sleep. tongue.png

Just give me one specific example in primary or secondary education where this is appropriate.

Hardly new, the method is called the "Socratic method" after Socrates in 469 BC.

Wow, great! All except the last paragraph. Sounds to me like you have found a subservient, house servant rather than a wife. So I can only gather she is the exact opposite of your previous spouse. Thus you enjoy living here?

Maybe I am reading too much into this but you have less a marriage, but more a owner/servant relationship. But if it works for you excellent, and I fully agree it is a good reason to be living here.

Cheers.

Who are you to judge...?

Some Thai women...WANT...to treat their men special...everyday...and are happy to do so...

That does not necessarily equate them to being hired servants...

Post is so full of BS...

You obviously are not familiar with Thai pedagogy methods.

The teacher lectures and gives handouts.

The students must listen, take notes and memorize, preparing to regurgitate verbatim on the exams.

A student questioning the teacher is showing disrespect, implying the teacher isn't doing their job properly.

God forbid actually challenging any statements.

Makes things interesting when the students know more on a given topic than the teacher, as in many ICT classes.

But yes that's the way it is.

Genuinely doesnt sound much different to my education in the UK, though maybe my school was strict or something. Asking a question would imply you werent listening whilst to challenge a teacher would result in a bollocking.

I think all this maybe comes from another Thaivisa myth thats been spouted so many times here we believe it to be true. Thai education may be inferior to Western countries but the fact is few of us have direct experience of it so anything we say is pure hearsay.

Not saying its not true, Im saying how the hell do any of us know?

And even for those relationships that ARE purely transactional, who are you to judge? As long as both are getting what they want, no deception or coercion involved, let it be what it is, whatever makes you happy.

sorry yourauntbob, i adjusted your text. saved me time...

herb, why do you live here if you hate the culture sooo much? First, there are some parts of the culture/weather I do enjoy, living here only parttime. But, to answer your question, my wife.

She is one of the most selfless people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. After a hard day of work, she comes home and cooks a nice thai dinner for me while I talk to her.

Her priority list for just about everything in life is always her daughter and me, then her friends and finally herself.

I am lucky to have found her.

That being said, WE will be out of this country soon.

and one for the famous thaibeaches:

post-83790-0-75235200-1390493383_thumb.j

Edited by herb59

You seem to be saying that basic simplistic survival skills are all that should be taught in the schools that are educating the future leaders of a civilization?

Lets say I'm teaching driver's education. Now Somchai before you enter the highway you look both ways.

And Somchai might say "since I plan on driving in countries where traffic runs on the opposite side of the road, wouldn't it be a good idea to get in the habit of looking left then right and then left again before I pull out?"

Should the teacher take OFFENSE at that and feel like the student is being disrespectful for making that suggestion in front of the class?

That attitude IMO is a large reason for Thai education being among the lowest value-for-money-spent of any developing nation in the world.

• Like 1

The educational theories of students questioning teachers are all good in theory, and work great in classrooms with the proper resources

and is usually made by those who have little or no practical experience in the subject

In a classroom of 30 students where a teacher has to work through a particular curriculum, with in a limited time schedule , If students were allowed to constantly disrupt the teacher, nothing will ever get done. It will not be long before the students catch on and that teacher is toast.