All Bangkok's 50 election directors resign

webfact

The old elite are thrashing around now, desperately trying to find a way to stop the election. The one thing they fear above all else is the will of the people, freely expressed through the ballot box. Regardless of whether it happens on Sunday or at a later date the next election will see the anti democracy fascists trampled into the dust. Thailand will not be turning back to the bad old days.

They're using their money. Where will it go next?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly a statement. The question is though whats the statement?

Truth be told, this is pretty bad for all concerned.

Yingluck has yet another headache. And now another part of the country will absolutely require run offs, which will absolutely delay the movement out of a caretaker government even when PTP run away with the rest of the election. Can she delay? The point has been made routinely by level headed that she cant by dint of the constitution without the express permission of the courts and that the court in their adjudication simply were not clear enough on the matter. Ive yet to see any reply that has proven him wrong on the matter and not being a legal scholar, ill assume it stands until someone explains why it doesnt.

But this was the nuclear option. As any good teacher will tell you, the nuclear option works ONCE. And only if your students in no way expect or provoke it. You have one shot of shocking them, and once you do it, you better do it perfect. Because now they know they can push you into it. And now they know they youre an asshol_e and any other time you scold them, they can ignore it. You get one shot at it and its done.

And this was their shot. And the question is, did it send the right message and will it achieve its aims? And honestly... Bangkok is the absolute center of the shenanigans of this protest. As remarked on the early voting, it passed off peacefully almost everywhere outside of BKK and the Suthep heartland. And for what gain? To force the EC into meltdown and force a delay by extra-governmental means? Wellllll... it could work. It could force a delay... in bangkok. Which sort of actually relieves pressure on Yingluck by allowing her to postpone elections until sutable replacements are found to organise and deliver these elections. And now we dont need to see the bloody standoff on sunday after all to be played out throughout the media. Now Suthep gets to sit on the sidelines as a bangkok bound spectator as elections are carried out throughout most of the rest of the country. It also shows that Yingluck is not only fighting a war against demonstrators trying to force through their own agenda, but also a supposedly neutral government institution whose single main objective is to offer the people free and fair elections.

This will not be the end of the story. So headaches for all sides.

Yingluck cant unlock the government for months now for sure.

The anti-democratic elements (in the group set up to deliver democratic elections) have now played one of their big cards and they cannot unplay it. The affect needed to be catastrophic. but i feel they may have genuinely miscalculated (or rather assumed that bangkok was the be all and end all of the democratic process in Thailand. Again, just because the focus is on Bangkok doesnt mean the election is carried out in Bangkok. Its a big country. Its maybe hard to see that picture because all we see is the bangkok story.

So no need to shut down the elections nationwide at all. And the EC will now have to appoint 50 new very much scrutinised appointees for political (and we really mean yellow) bias.

The people will see through this. Irrespective of disliking ptp, they like voting. Edited by Thai at Heart

If the 50 election directors formally resigned than I guess the Election Commission needs to formally appoint 50 Election Directors even if (some of) those old ones would be willing to come back into their old position.

Tell you a funny story, our town hall is closed. Protestors put a sign up saying it will remain closed till Yingluk is out, I'm in the South this is common.

But it's a fake, the town hall staff did it because their Dem political masters told them they had to or they'd lose their jobs. Round the side, the door is still open, the voter registrations are processed, the elections go on. The town hall is very friendly, they're explaining its all fine, they just were told to do it, but elections are ready.

This is what Suthep is, just a fake PR action.

It was supposed to start with a 'spontaneous people's protest', but it was organized and bussed in, with sound stages books, and Suthep's money ready

Then a media PR lie to pretend it was millions, but you could count them in the photos, and TV showed live drone feeds revealing the lie

Then angry doctors join the protests, but they were just people dressed in white carrying a red-cross flag

Then angry strudents, the Students something something for reform! Turn out to be old men with black faces and Southern accents, just another fake

Government officers were supposed to hold strikes, but they didn't want to.

Schools, town halls close in support of Suthep in the South, but the teachers are angry and the town halls do business as normal, just in secret.

Then a march from the north of angry farmers demanding money... photos reveal no mob and no march

Sutheps runs out of money, the rent-a-mob go home, his guards want to go home,

Now we have a little rescue effort to save something from the NACC/EC etc.

Time to take out the trash, this party is over.

they truly are garbage and people are wondering why we not join the bleeding hearts when some 50 - 60 year old hard faced, armed fascists calling themselves students meet with exactly the same justice they are in the business of handing out.

The clear out should not stop with Suthep. the backers need to be ruined financially and hounded out of business and the country so they never try this again.

The Reform that may happen when Suthep loses could be the reform to end all reforms in Thailand and many supposed elites will rue the day they ever thought of reform.

don't worry the elite, Amply Rich Shinawatra clan is not thinking about reform. Just voicing platitudes as 'later', 'in due time', 'when all is ready', etc., etc.

OH? and you know what the ARS are thinking? Jeez man- be careful- some of the rightwing nut jobs here might accuse you of being in pay that you have such priviledged information.

The real fix is in. All the talk about vote buying, Thaksin Dictatorship, you all bought into it.

Everyone will be bought/intimidated. End of story.

I think so. Dictatorship beckons.

Don't worry, trust us. We will have a little bit of reform, and then have elections.

Oh really.

Scary times in my opinion. (I shouldn't have said 'you all bought into it..' , but some people did. I guess the ones that only listen to what their wives tell them. For the record, my wife and I disagree severely on this matter.)

I really don't see Suthep as a benevolent anything and the "remove shinawatra from politics" gives him an open ended chance.

Could be they take years and years over this reform. They are going to have to exile a out of very important people.

Not unexpected at all, and apparently, the only way that they could possibly make the lady see sense.

What is now required is for her to make a public appearance announcing that the election is off, she and her caretaker government are stepping down, Suthep can therefore call off the street protests, and the business of carrying out necessary reforms can get under way.

She must also make it very clear to the Red Shirt extremists that their cause is over, and they should return to their homes; furthermore, anyone caught involved in any acts of shootings or bombing in response to the resignation of the government should be made to face the full extent of the law.

And if the caretaker govt steps down, who will govern? And do you think that there won't be further protests?

If the REDs were to take to the streets, I would then believe in claims of millions marching.

The reds have taken to the streets on several occasions since the amnesty fiasco. 10 000-15000 were their best turnouts. Millions are out of reach for red movement. Many of ex reds are campaigning to overthrow the government. Be realistic.

I hope you are not a joke man.

I remember very well that in April 2010 the right wing TV members were scoffing at the threat that the Reds could muster enough people to bring out the army.

They did.

They can do it again. And this time it won't be sling shots and men in black.

Be careful who you scoff.

Edited by blaze

Another paid Thaksin troll heard from.

You seem to have the inside line on paid for posts. Pray tell, how can I get paid for my posts too? It seems like I have been selling my "services" for free.

Does the other side pay too? I can also post in favour of them.

Were none of you people in Thailand in August- months before the amnesty bill was proposed- Do you not remember the protesters were already encamped in LUmphini?

The amnesty bill was just the excuse they needed to enlist the top Democrats in their dream to restore Thailand to its pristine pre-1932 beauty.

Do you not remember the form of gov't proposed by Sonthi and Chamlong back in '05?

This is old money rallying to enemies of some people who have conflicts with new money- and rationalizing it in terms of

thaksin- Every society has gone (usually two hundred years ago) through the same conflict-

It is not about hatred of Thaksin (among those who 'matter'- ) it is about hatred of the prospect of redistribution of political power to the provinces.

Were they? Pass Lumpini nearly every day with office in UCL, but didn't notice.

The 'blanket amnesty bill' undemocratically pushed through parliament led to a spontaneous protest by Bangkok people, mostly middleclass. They wondered by the 'blanket' was put in the amnesty bill proposal, why the covering period extended to include the last two years of Thaksin and the first two of Yingluck. They wondered aloud why two readings and votes in slightly more than 24 hours. They wondered about the PM saying 'it's not done, more to follow, go home, wait'. Under pressure we had PM Yingluck trying to wask her hands of things with 'don't blame me, it's up to the senate' and more 'go home and wait'. Next a Senate speaker trying to get a quorum together to get a quick senate vote. Of course no pressure from the government.

Now tell me again your story of how the anti-government protest is just against redistributing political power to the provinces?

• Like 2

Not unexpected at all, and apparently, the only way that they could possibly make the lady see sense.

What is now required is for her to make a public appearance announcing that the election is off, she and her caretaker government are stepping down, Suthep can therefore call off the street protests, and the business of carrying out necessary reforms can get under way.

She must also make it very clear to the Red Shirt extremists that their cause is over, and they should return to their homes; furthermore, anyone caught involved in any acts of shootings or bombing in response to the resignation of the government should be made to face the full extent of the law.

And if the caretaker govt steps down, who will govern? And do you think that there won't be further protests?

If the REDs were to take to the streets, I would then believe in claims of millions marching.

Last time the reds announced millions on the march they could assemble 60,000 so don't hold Your breath waiting for the red army...

Quite different in that "last time", the party they voted in was (and is) still the govt, albeit in caretaker form. If "their" govt is seen to be wrongfully removed, I think sentiments might be slightly different.

Wow, you joined a few days ago, and this is what you are posting.

Another paid Thaksin troll heard from.

Another moonie chant.

I note, you didn't dispute a single word of what I said.

It's that age old adage, about ten wise men having problem answered the questions of a single ... ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Did it ever occur to you, that YOU might be a fascist? You have all the hallmarks - cheering on a corrupt authoritarian government with the blood of thousands on its hands, cheering on violence against those who oppose it, and cheerleading (in an ugly kind of way) the leather cap 'goon squad' approach to dealing with a peaceful protest.

Hate to tell you dude but you are no friend of democracy, you are part of the frigging problem. Open your bloody mind.

Crushdepth- can you explain where and how Suthep's proposed system of government varies from that of the Grand Council of

Rome?

I think you should be a bit more careful with terms- fascism is only one form of authoritatianism- it has a meaning.

If you are going to post publicly - lets agree on the vocabulary.

(ie- Stalin was not a fascist- George w Bush was not a fascist-- but Suthep, BY DEFINITION of his proposals, like those of Sonthi before him, IS a fascist).

I gather you are not a teenager- then why bandy the term fascist about unless it applies?

• Like 1

Certainly a statement. The question is though whats the statement?

Truth be told, this is pretty bad for all concerned.

Yingluck has yet another headache. And now another part of the country will absolutely require run offs, which will absolutely delay the movement out of a caretaker government even when PTP run away with the rest of the election. Can she delay? The point has been made routinely by level headed that she cant by dint of the constitution without the express permission of the courts and that the court in their adjudication simply were not clear enough on the matter. Ive yet to see any reply that has proven him wrong on the matter and not being a legal scholar, ill assume it stands until someone explains why it doesnt.

But this was the nuclear option. As any good teacher will tell you, the nuclear option works ONCE. And only if your students in no way expect or provoke it. You have one shot of shocking them, and once you do it, you better do it perfect. Because now they know they can push you into it. And now they know they youre an asshol_e and any other time you scold them, they can ignore it. You get one shot at it and its done.

And this was their shot. And the question is, did it send the right message and will it achieve its aims? And honestly... Bangkok is the absolute center of the shenanigans of this protest. As remarked on the early voting, it passed off peacefully almost everywhere outside of BKK and the Suthep heartland. And for what gain? To force the EC into meltdown and force a delay by extra-governmental means? Wellllll... it could work. It could force a delay... in bangkok. Which sort of actually relieves pressure on Yingluck by allowing her to postpone elections until sutable replacements are found to organise and deliver these elections. And now we dont need to see the bloody standoff on sunday after all to be played out throughout the media. Now Suthep gets to sit on the sidelines as a bangkok bound spectator as elections are carried out throughout most of the rest of the country. It also shows that Yingluck is not only fighting a war against demonstrators trying to force through their own agenda, but also a supposedly neutral government institution whose single main objective is to offer the people free and fair elections.

This will not be the end of the story. So headaches for all sides.

Yingluck cant unlock the government for months now for sure.

The anti-democratic elements (in the group set up to deliver democratic elections) have now played one of their big cards and they cannot unplay it. The affect needed to be catastrophic. but i feel they may have genuinely miscalculated (or rather assumed that bangkok was the be all and end all of the democratic process in Thailand. Again, just because the focus is on Bangkok doesnt mean the election is carried out in Bangkok. Its a big country. Its maybe hard to see that picture because all we see is the bangkok story.

So no need to shut down the elections nationwide at all. And the EC will now have to appoint 50 new very much scrutinised appointees for political (and we really mean yellow) bias.

Not sure if what I'm about to post would hold water or not but here goes anyway;

- EC tells PT that borrowing funds (to pay the rice farmers) could put them foul of the law as they might be unnecessarily burdening the next govt

- if PT went ahead and loses the elections, the "next" govt would almost certainly take them to court

- but if PT is the next govt, they would be unlikely to take themselves to court, no?

- would the ordinary taxpayer have a right to take PT to court? Would they be, so to say, a party to the contract (the contract being the loan agreement)?

Were none of you people in Thailand in August- months before the amnesty bill was proposed- Do you not remember the protesters were already encamped in LUmphini?

The amnesty bill was just the excuse they needed to enlist the top Democrats in their dream to restore Thailand to its pristine pre-1932 beauty.

Do you not remember the form of gov't proposed by Sonthi and Chamlong back in '05?

This is old money rallying to enemies of some people who have conflicts with new money- and rationalizing it in terms of

thaksin- Every society has gone (usually two hundred years ago) through the same conflict-

It is not about hatred of Thaksin (among those who 'matter'- ) it is about hatred of the prospect of redistribution of political power to the provinces.

The 'blanket amnesty bill' undemocratically pushed through parliament led to a spontaneous protest by Bangkok people, mostly middleclass. They wondered by the 'blanket' was put in the amnesty bill proposal, why the covering period extended to include the last two years of Thaksin and the first two of Yingluck. They wondered aloud why two readings and votes in slightly more than 24 hours. They wondered about the PM saying 'it's not done, more to follow, go home, wait'. Under pressure we had PM Yingluck trying to wask her hands of things with 'don't blame me, it's up to the senate' and more 'go home and wait'. Next a Senate speaker trying to get a quorum together to get a quick senate vote. Of course no pressure from the government.

Now tell me again your story of how the anti-government protest is just against redistributing political power to the provinces?

Rubl,

Have you read the link (re: K Channil's letter) that I referred you to?

The reds have taken to the streets on several occasions since the amnesty fiasco. 10 000-15000 were their best turnouts. Millions are out of reach for red movement. Many of ex reds are campaigning to overthrow the government. Be realistic.

Please refer to my post # 192

Actually the interesting thing is I know a couple of well educated red shirts - they also was opposed to the amnesty bill, because it would let Abhisit government off the hook for the crackdown on 2010 protesters...

Apart from that - there were protest against the government . that is thai political tradition - 4-500 yellow shirts were protesting - but seriously no one was taking notice...

The amnesty bill was the political suicide - actually the democrats was in normal state of politics (as performed in Thailand) but with absolut majority the government didn't consider listening to any opposition - and kept lending money from the outside world... To pay the CityBank economy system they tried to enforce...

Old money new money - no no no - go into Bangkok, to MBK - ask peoples WHY the hell they are there - and I can guarentee You they are NOT there to protect any form of old money, or money at all, yes most I know are annoyed to pay tax to a government that is openly corrupt... Peoples I have been talking to in the MBK camp is there to get reforms... As they say "shutdown Bangkok - to restart Thailand" - ALL Thailand... Not the south, not central, not the north east but Thailand...

And as I am born in a democratic society I hope they will succeed...

• Like 1

lol, funny Thailand must be the only country in history to try to REFUSE an election w00t.gif

Wouldnt be so sure this is it true just yet and not just posturing. If they have resigned thats got to be good for the teaboys and girls, opportunity knocks. I thought the EC and Gov were supposed to be meeting today and discussing things. clearly the discussions are taking place in the usual unbaised and uncorrupted manner i see giggle.gif

The EC can no longer claim neutrality, great way to show the whole world. this isnt good at all not really it signals the fascists are running the show behind the scenes. At least thats another lot out of the closet. smile.png

The Network "M" close ranks, calls are made, civil servants refuse to do their jobs anymore.

All 50 resign wn masse.

No reasons are given of course.

Solution:

Hold the elections in the country and then we will have by-elections in Bangkok and the south to follow.

Thank you very much for quoting the Pheu Thai party line to us wai.gif

What else would a dumb red parrot do?

Something more constructive to contribute as opposed to inane, juvenile one lined insults? My 15 year old can go better.

uum- ok-

So who is going to initiate the reforms you crave? Santa Clause? The Easter Bunny? My best friend? Sutheps backers?

You?

Sad you don't seem to know that there is a cumbersome system in place in most countries to answer that question- it is called- electoral democracy.

Or would you have us return to the days of Divine Right?

Just curious- would you mind stating publicly what country you come from that failed so miserably to teach to its youth the historically best method of resolving social conflict? And what level of education instructed you to trust in the benevolance of the tooth fairy?

Edited by blaze
  • Like 1

As this election is losing not only populous support, but administrative as well, it is perhaps a good idea to look at the reality of this election. If the advance vote was the election itself, parliament would be 78 % filled, as opposed to the 95 % they are mandated to fill. The vacuum that the EC is trying to communicate to Yingluck is not a theory, but a present reality. With 8 provinces and 28 constituencies not participating, this parliament will not have a quorum under any circumstances whatsoever. And no court in the land will grant a perpetual caretaker administration legislative power.

BS, it is a good time to place good people in those resigned positions and began cleaning house on the crud that takes their orders from the elite, I am truly surprised that the EC commissioners have not resigned, that is the move I was expecting, I was hoping they would do as they threatened, it would be great to have some good people with some moral values and backbone to do that job properly.

The problem in this country are the corrupted bureaucrats, that take their orders from those that appointed them to those positions of power, the new governments needs to do some drastic housecleaning.

If they were not part of the solution, they were part of the problem!

Spring cleaning time!.

+1

Sounds as good a starting point for reforms as any other

Given the fact that many posters on this and other threads have mentioned the fact that Suthep and his crowd are anti-foreigner, I find it amazing that so many seem to want the man to get what he's aiming for.

I sincerely hope that, as we're all exiting the kingdom without our money, homes, possessions, valuables, dogs, hopes, dreams and even families, you remember to thank him for giving you the opportunity to return to your beloved home countries where you can live in style and continue failing to understand the reality of life.

If I meet any of you on the way out - watch out!

Ridiculous.......

Would have been a more effective reply if you'd explained why you think my comment was ridiculous.

Remember Mugabe? Or are you too young? Or maybe American and uninformed except for issues which affect the USA? The same happened to thousands of Indians as well as Brits living in what is now Zimbabwe, and few saw it coming. Many were tortured and killed before they had a chance to leave.

What's truly ridiculous about the expat reaction to this emergency is the lack of analysis resulting in gut reactions I wouldn't even expect from the undeniably prejudiced in my home country.

This is not about Abhisit, Yingluck, Thaksin, Suthep or any other incredibly wealthy politician, wannabee dictator or president, it's about everyday people, their families, their businesses, their lives. Bangkok is NOT the centre of the universe, nor are it or its few billionaire residents entitled to control the rest of the country and exclude them from their rights.

As a woman, I can't forget my country's history as regards suffrage for women, as well as the dedicated females who died so that future generations of women could have the right to vote. That was almost a century ago, and the present conflict in Thailand may end with the disenfranchisement of the majority of its citizens.

That's the fact - seems it's more fun to post accusations whilst completely missing the essential point.

Ridiculous...

• Like 2

I dare say the reds may indeed come to town.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The red mob WILL DEFINITELY come, book it...

Only if they are paid up front.