Suthep announces election must be blocked

webfact

...why it is such a problem to arrest this lunatic, borderline, brainless guy who is not willing to respect rules of democracy..?

Are you deliberatly missing the point? There is NO democracy in Thailand. Democracy is not simply about voting. It is about respecting the rule of law (no motorcycle helmets upwards). When Thaksin was in power he PAID 90 senators 100000 baht a month each in order to ram his ideas through the upper house. And these are the people who call themselves democrats. They are not democrats. They are money politicians. The 'electoral' process they are engaged in is not dmocratic either. And that's the whole reason why Suthep is trying to stop this scam. And to stop all future scamming. Because, dear boy, he wants a democratic system with fair voting and people respecting all this stuff. Not stealing the election with their money. And that is the point. The point you seem to miss.

As an observer, I hear this a lot - accusations from both sides.

Thaksin: 90 senators.

Who are these 90 senators - name them?

If there is proof and evidence, then charge all 90+1 people and send them all to prison.

Suthep: Land deals for 10 rich families.

Who are these 10 families - name them?

If there is proof and evidence, then charge all 10+1 people and send them all to prison.

However, not much seems to have developed in these cases .... TiT

Edited by tx22cb

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still don't understand what K. Suthep is so afraid off.

If it is the truth that he is preaching, that the majority of Thailand wants a change to the 'democratically elected government' then let the majority of Thailand voice their opinion at the polling booths. Simple!

Agendas within agendas. This guy is a very dangerous man who will be responsible for much more bloodshed before he is finished unless he is stopped now.

• Like 1

...why it is such a problem to arrest this lunatic, borderline, brainless guy who is not willing to respect rules of democracy..?

Are you deliberatly missing the point? There is NO democracy in Thailand. Democracy is not simply about voting. It is about respecting the rule of law (no motorcycle helmets upwards). When Thaksin was in power he PAID 90 senators 100000 baht a month each in order to ram his ideas through the upper house. And these are the people who call themselves democrats. They are not democrats. They are money politicians. The 'electoral' process they are engaged in is not dmocratic either. And that's the whole reason why Suthep is trying to stop this scam. And to stop all future scamming. Because, dear boy, he wants a democratic system with fair voting and people respecting all this stuff. Not stealing the election with their money. And that is the point. The point you seem to miss.

Ianf, the first part of your post is spot on right up to the point where you suggest that ".......Suthep is trying to stop this scam'. Both sides of the divide are money politicians and equally scamming the system. Against Thaksin's sins consider the Democrats getting Chitchob's people to change allegiance in 2009 so that they could form a government. The price, inter alia, was to give them the Interior Ministry (that has long been the ministry with the best trough). Look back at the news when Suthep and Abhisit were in power - Cassava price support scam, populist policies including minimum wage, Suthip being investigated for palm oil price fixing. Plus ca change. In my opinion, this is not about getting rid of corruption, that's just a convenient banner to garner support. This is about long term political control and neither side is going to back down for that precise reason. If both sides were truly concerned about Thailand and its political future then there would be nothing to stop them agreeing a way forward and negotiating that. But, sadly that's not it, so the game goes on.

• Like 2

Ianf,

You have drunk the koolaid my friend.

You can not support (or create) legitimate democracy by totalitarian means.

Suthep wants to set aside the existing constitution (which we all know it isn't perfect) and start over... with him and his cronies making all the changes. and in the meantime, he is denying people access to the democratic process so he can have his way.

I am no fan of either side, but you must be able to see that just because you don't like what PTP / Thaksin are doing, you can't give a maniac like Suthep the keys to the castle.

Thailand is supposed to be a Buddhist country... Buddhism is founded on what Budda called "The Middle Way". A path between two forms of extremism... Moderation. Calmness. Centeredness. Reason. Balance.

Where are these qualities in the modern Thai society?

• Like 1

rjcampbe, it seems to me that modern Buddhism is about enlightenment which is gained by making merit and only those with sufficient enlightenment have the requisite wisdom to run a country, for instance. Merit is gained by donating money to the temple and money is amoral (so it doesn't matter how or where it comes from). Thus, only those with money are wise enough to run a country or even to know who to vote for in an election. Whilst I recount this with tongue firmly in cheek, it does help to explain why so many Thais do not see a problem in dismissing the right of their fellow citizens to vote.

• Like 1

This kind of polarization I am reading is what tears a country apart and is so dangerous. Both leaders are corrupt...no matter which has had more success at it. It is up to the people to do away with what is happening. If you support Suthep's actions, you are just making way for another Taksin. The thais making comments here are clueless to how a true democracy works and the civil responsibility that comes along with it. Peaceful change is brought with REAL education, petitions, and referendums. The change may take a little time but any good solution will when things have gone this far astray. You cannot change things through blocking a vote. It is illegal and will only cause more hatred and violence. IT CAN ONLY BE DONE THROUGH THE TOOLS OF REAL DEMOCRACY. I suggest you all take a class on it. I have a degree in political science (international governements and relations) if anyone wants to challenge what I have written.

Many governments around the world hide under the guise of "democracy" to do their unlawful deeds by writing their own unlawful laws to protect themselves and their overseers. There I just challenged you lol Everyone wants true democracy, but sometimes a revolution has to take place inorder to cleanse the system of all the corruptness and create and environment where true democracy can flourish. Is this happening in Thailand? Probably not. Looks like a power grab on both sides at the moment. That being said, Nelson Mandela was a true hero of peaceful democracy so it can happen sometimes.

I don't think that is a challenge...it is true. But those aren't true democracies either. I would compare Thailand to the former Yugoslavia and Suthep to Slobadon Milosevic. Very little difference in the political and social attmospheres involved. What you think is a challenge to what I said has no bearing. Please explaion...lol.

I was just poking a little fun your way that's all lol. What I was trying to say though is that sometimes corruptness is so rampat that people see no more way out and resort to "undemocratic" means to restore democracy. Of course it's not true democracy either, so you're right, it's no challenge. BTW, lets hope it does not all blow up like the former Yugoslavia starting Feb-2. I sincerely hope the Thai people calm down and work things out, especially since my Wife keeps twisting my arm to move there.

Edited by dude123

Bullying? The minute you lay a finger on someone it's classed as assault, doesn't matter whether you strike a person in the face with a shovel, or grab them by their arms, it's still an assault.

So if you're ever bursting for a piss in a restaurant and the Maitre De stands in front of you and blocks the entry, and you try to side step and he mirrors you, and all the while, that little dance you do gets more funky, and he still prevents you from going and just as you're about to pass him, and he physically restrains you, then that's alright in your books then? wink.pngcoffee1.gif

Well, no. Not at all. But I'd expect to be laughed at if I described this as terrorism.

And, at least as I understand the word, "bullying" might include low level assaults.

PDRC Split? or just more hypocrisy.

Issara Somchai one of the leaders is widely reported in other media and international media as having said from the stage, that he must vote in order to be able to battle thaksin in Parliament.

Says it all about this disgusting rabble. Many of the Dems will vote, you could see by the way Abhisit was squiriming around on TV and with the US Ambassador.

Why he spoke with a modern thinking powerful woman like Kristy Kennedy is a mystery. She will think him one of the most vile leaders she has ever met. - Anti democracy - but voting himself and overthrowing an Elected Woman PM by judicial stealth.. Nope, he met her, but he got the brush off and that is for sure.

Now talking with 2 heads again.

The Great un-corrupt ones, Non Nepotistically appointed next generation Supreme leader Akanat (his son) made the following statement to BBC in interview.

"categorically promises no attempt to stop people voting on Sunday" Hmmm... Hope he checked that out with his non-dictatorial father or he'll be for it when he gets home.

The Thai term for this government is a Constitutional Monarchy. There may be a Prime Minister - but the Head of State is still the Monarch. It is the King that bestows that authority to the Prime Minister. So don't be too hasty in your judgement.

No Government with out an effective opposition will ever do any good for a country

2 Major Parties in Parliment is called Democracy

1 Major Parties in Parliment is called Dictatorship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQVjUsKSKUE#t=71

Nice one. You seem to have (finally) put an end to Tezzainoz's rantings!

The Thai term for this government is a Constitutional Monarchy. There may be a Prime Minister - but the Head of State is still the Monarch. It is the King that bestows that authority to the Prime Minister. So don't be too hasty in your judgement.

No Government with out an effective opposition will ever do any good for a country

2 Major Parties in Parliment is called Democracy

1 Major Parties in Parliment is called Dictatorship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQVjUsKSKUE#t=71

Nice one. You seem to have (finally) put an end to Tezzainoz's rantings!

Wanna bet?