What Do Thais In General Think Of Foreigners Who Married A Woman Who Had A Child?

sirchai

You'll never stop Thais or other Westerners thinking you've married a hooker, if your partner is Asian. I've met doctors and lawyers (female Thais) who've experienced that prejudice, when with a falang. In the main most Thais think that no self respecting Thai woman would marry a falang, because they're going to be labeled as a hooker. It's a face culture where perception and appearance matter.

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...they think that you are not able (impotent) to perform.....and that you are a left over.....

Hope you know Albert Einstein's quotation about the universe and human stupidity. If not, please feel free to page me.

By the way, I wasn't even planned when you were born.

Psychologically and physically seen a good excuse for you.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

You'll never stop Thais or other Westerners thinking you've married a hooker, if your partner is Asian. I've met doctors and lawyers (female Thais) who've experienced that prejudice, when with a falang. In the main most Thais think that no self respecting Thai woman would marry a falang, because they're going to be labeled as a hooker. It's a face culture where perception and appearance matter.

I a sort of disagree with your post. I'm working at government schools now for too long and wouldn't have a problem to find a good looking "educated" teacher, doctor, etc..as a partner.

Many well educated Thai women would love to have a functioning relationship with a Westerner, but not a bar stool type of a man, wearing the usual shorts and socks in funny sandals. The beer belly covered with a too big shirt from a second hand shop.

We all know what people all around the world think when talking about a Thai massage. But are all women/men in this business hookers?

It's not 18 hundred something now, we're living in the 21st century and some people seem to have hibernated for the last 200 years.

I do speak Thai, understand their culture almost perfect and I believe that those who think so are mostly the uneducated ones who are impressed when somebody puts some fancy lights underneath his car, instead of having balls.

It's not about what people would like to be. It's how the people are.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Our son is 6, with us since he was 2, so he doesn't know any better than that I'm his father. It's also a bit early for these kind of things.

But where you live in Mukdahan, he is a rare species with a farang dad, maybe the only one. We live in Rayong province and our son is on a bi-lingual school where there are many kids with farang dad's and mixed kids or even fully farang kids on the school. I don't expect to many problems here, but you never know.

But in his case, even if he would be with a Thai dad, being the best in class is not rewarded a lot, society here doesn't like people who stand out.

I think you do the best you can, keep in good touch with the kid and teach him some independent thinking, but it will not always be easy for him if he acts accordingly!

Thai society is complicated with the very rigid caste system, moving outside of your caste is not easily accepted, so also not everybody deals easy with original poor farm girls who become home owners and their offspring.

Our son is now 9 and looks 100% Thai but has a Thai Mum and a Farang Dad, me.

We have been married 15 years this April and apart from when I used to work offshore have been together all that time and for 6 years before that.

Our friend next door has an 8 year old girl who looks 100% farang. Her Mum is Thai and hed Dad is a farang though they are not married nor do they live together.

They both go to the same school and as far as I and my wife know they have no trouble there. The school is in Khampaeng Phet and we live 65 km away so they don't get to do things in the evenings and weekends with their school mates but they do with their friends here.

My wife was not as poor farm girl but used to live in Bang Na working in an import/export company. Later she moved on to be a cook at a restaurant where I met her and a few years later after my divorce we married. We bought land next to a plot she already had and built a house and bought more land later where she built a shop and a small restaurant which went OK until about 2010 when she closed it. She closed it as many customers wanted to eat and drink now and pay later but quite a few didn't. She rented it a couple of times and they bth failed for the same reason.

She had a few problems with some Thai "friends" telling her to "ask the farang for money" not realising that she has always had access to the joint account and could take what she wanted when she wanted but those friends have left her now and she is reasonably content.

You live in Issan, you have been here for as long as you claim, yet you feel the need to ask this question?

Is this a wind up?

It's a bit like boarding a bus and asking random strangers a question about your personal life. At least on the bus you'd be able to question people who look reasonably rational, a screening process unavailable here

On TV asking a question about what Thais think about something is ridiculous on so many levels. 66 million people, no matter what region of the country they come from, do not think alike and gaining any insight into what might be true about a Thai perspective on things here at the hub-of-xenophobia is all the more counter-productive.

School children everywhere on the planet will seize upon any excuse to bully one another. There is no logic in it and it does not necessarily reflect what the general population thinks. If they think they can make someone feel embarrassed they will. It's what they do. In that regard, there's a similarity between adolescent school boys and Thai Visa posters. They'll bash, no matter how irrational their comments, just to bash. It helps them inflate their poor self-esteem at the expense of someone else.

66 million people, no matter what region of the country they come from, do not think alike

On the contrary, most Thais DO think alike.

I would also suggest the hub-of-xenophobia as you put it may be a lot closer to home than you realize wink.png

My eldest girl is my step child ( Her mother was married to a Thai soldier who used to abuse her until my wife left him and we met when she was working in her sisters hairdressing salon ). My wife has never worked in a bar but even today it is still assumed that she was a bar girl/prostitute. and it still upsets her even after 30 years. Once my step daughter and I had to go to Bangkok, me to my embassy and my daughter to an interview, we stopped for a coffee and discuss where we would meet for our return home, we were speaking English and a woman remarked because a Thai woman was talking to me in English she must be a prostitute, I am afraid I lost my temper and I asked her in Thai if she saw her daughter talking to a Farang would she assume her daughter was working in a bar or as a prostitute. The woman burst into tears and started to cause a scene and we were asked to leave. I assume the woman got upset that my rebuking her caused her to lose face in front of friends / other Thai people. My other 2 kids have had their share of abuse/ bullying but they have learned to live with it, though it will always be upsetting, there will always be predudice / jealousy.

Edited by pwills
  • Like 2

You live in Issan, you have been here for as long as you claim, yet you feel the need to ask this question?

Is this a wind up?

Is that a rhetorical question? The post was meant to find out what others had experienced regarding my post, not your opinion about me.-wai2.gif

I think he was talking about the culture, it does happen in Issan.... Many heartbreaks happen in this part of Thailand..... Generally, it is about paying attention, Thai people will always tease in this way, the best one can do is develop a relationship with the child, it takes time.... sometimes they accept it, sometimes they do not ...... Best of luck, just keep it going on......thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

a friend of mine,lived with a falang and her baby boy in pattaya for 5 years the baby was thai...they split up..and she took the baby back to the village..

as the child was now 8 years old .he was more falang than thai...the result is no thais will play with him...as far as they are concerned ..hew was brought up by a falang ..so was falang..

the boy who speaks perfect english..from his schooling in pattaya has a very hard time...so much that the mother has decided to bring him back to pattaya..

thais are cruel

• Like 1

good post and great question ... ... you have done exactly the right thing and so has your son , keep talking with him , like any teenage boy he needs a Dad around , you got a good one , well done good work !!

My 8 year old girl also head of her year ,has similar issues , but mostly jealousy from other kids , she is naturally bright on her own , without my help ,but the Farang word gets thrown at her a lot ...i stay in the background at school functions as i know she feels a tad embarrased to have a Farang old man .. but i accept that .....goodluck

My kids told me about the stupid comments other kids make. I told them to just consider the source and not worry about it. After a while it started getting to them so i told them to ask the kids that were calling them falang if they were too stupid to be able to tell they were luk krung and not falang. That worked at the old school.

At the new school my son took it upon himself to ask the kids what Thailand would be like if it were not for falangs and all of the things that were invented by them. That shuts them up.

Children will ALWAYS till something about a child with some specials.

I live in the Netherlands and am married with 3/4 Indonesian origin women, so.. my children have some Asian views and black hair. The elder, when he was .. 5 wanted to cut his hear off as.. at school they told he came from the poor countries. He tried it, crying, with a scissors for the mirror.

Years later, he was 13, his friend asked the teacher if they could go out to play with "peanut".

As the teacher saw a race discrimination in it, she was angry at his friends, But.. dear teacher, Victor's daddy is working in the peanut industry.... Why we are not allowed to call him peanut, as .. he himself likes...

When he was 14... too many girls were chasing him. A the camping, he preferred to be inside.

From 15... ladies... here is Adonis...

But in your case, it seems really to hurt him.

According my opinion: not only S.E. Asia, or Thailand or Isan.

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1

»Then the old story. Your mother just married a farlang, as she couldn't find another Thai guy, as she already had a child and so on.«

I’ve often been told, and have also read, that Thai men don’t want a girl/lady with a child/children for a previous relationship, and therefore a farang is the most likely way to find a husband and someone to take care and provide of the family. So may be right, that a single Thai mum can’t find another Thai guy.

I know a number of Thai ladies with a child from an ex Thai boyfriend or husband –normal working women – getting married to a farang; and one only having a child with an ex farang now married to a nice Thai man. I cannot recall any Thai ladies with a child from an ex relationship getting married to a Thai man, but they may be out there.

Cannot contribute much to the school stories, as I live at a tourist area with my Isaan girlfriend and our half-Thai/half-farang 8 year old daughter, who attend an English programme school here with quite a number of mixed kids, a few farang only, and a small majority of Thai only. Never heard or experienced any discrimination, most of my daughter’s friends are Thai, but mainly not from her school. Presume it may be depending of where you live. When my daughter is visiting her grandparents up rural Isaan, she don’t mingle well with the local kids – not sure why.

I remember a Bangkok friend of mine who is now my brother in law sat me down one day and said can you tell me why so many foreigners who have good jobs etc. date and marry Isaan girls. I said I'm not sure and his reply was because we certainly wont.

I can not speak first hand but a friend of mine described his experience in Isaan. His daughter spoke perfect English and had two stable parents about. His wife also had a child from a former relationship. Both the children spoke great English but the Thai child had a disability which made her an immediate village outcast.

The mixed child got it a bit rough at school as many used the word such as 'show off' as she helped with English. The Thai child became fairly quiet and really conformed to the Thai group so she lost all ability to creatively think. Thai schools do install this whole rank type of thinking and so naturally children tend to follow the biggest bully. I think they are almost taught to take people who are different and make them conform to what we consider the norm.

A bit off topic but the extended family did something that brought my wife to tears. My friend wanted to take the Thai child overseas for medical treatment which was urgently needed and the Thai childs fathers family used this as a point of extraction. My friend basically had to pay them money so he could take their child to another country for medical treatment. they certainly would not have done this if there was a new Thai father.

Shortly after this all took place my friend moved to Pattaya and put the children in an International school and has never has a problem since.

From my 6 years living experience in Thailand I believe that a local Thai school is no place for a mixed child or a child with a foreign father. Everyone knows what working class Thai people are like and nothing good comes from the education pumped through those schools.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on this.When my Thai son was in a local school up to Primary 6, he hated going to school. He speaks fluent English, even better than the teachers teaching English there. He didn't have too much of a problem with the other kids although he couldn't understand why the teacher allowed them to shout and play during lessons. He became a bit of a favourite because he helped to translate for the teachers, and also with the other kids, mainly because he helped them with their homework I suspect. He now attends a school here in Sattahip where he has native English speakers everyday and a wonderful Thai classroom teacher. He still translates for the teachers and still helps the other kids with their English homework and loves his school. Yes, they still tend to try and mould the kids into regimented citizens, but didn't all schools do that in the West fifty years ago?

• Like 1

I am not entirely in the same situation as we live in Nakhon Sawan.

I have a 16yr old stepson and in the beginning several years ago it was a bit difficult for him (and me) as he was the only one in that situation.

We just tried our best to work together and overtime we have a really good relationship, his school grades have really improved.

His mates in the beginning were a bit curious but never abusive, at least to my knowledge, and now they are regularly at our house when we are there.

Ours is a very small village where everybody knows each other and half are extended family anyhow. Maybe that is the difference.

I think like the OP says it is about talking to the child and giving love and support.

We now have a young daughter, so 50/50 and my wife wants to move to Jomtien when she reaches school age as there is more of a mixture of Farangs with Thai wives etc, we spend half our time there anyhow.

Also she believes our daughter will benefit from an international school as Thai schools are too limited.

I also think it depends on the individuals, not all Thai's are the same, like us there are good and bad, mainly good.

• Like 1

malcoml, on 31 Jan 2014 - 00:23, said:snapback.png

I remember a Bangkok friend of mine who is now my brother in law sat me down one day and said can you tell me why so many foreigners who have good jobs etc. date and marry Isaan girls. I said I'm not sure and his reply was because we certainly wont.

I can not speak first hand but a friend of mine described his experience in Isaan. His daughter spoke perfect English and had two stable parents about. His wife also had a child from a former relationship. Both the children spoke great English but the Thai child had a disability which made her an immediate village outcast.

The mixed child got it a bit rough at school as many used the word such as 'show off' as she helped with English. The Thai child became fairly quiet and really conformed to the Thai group so she lost all ability to creatively think. Thai schools do install this whole rank type of thinking and so naturally children tend to follow the biggest bully. I think they are almost taught to take people who are different and make them conform to what we consider the norm.

A bit off topic but the extended family did something that brought my wife to tears. My friend wanted to take the Thai child overseas for medical treatment which was urgently needed and the Thai childs fathers family used this as a point of extraction. My friend basically had to pay them money so he could take their child to another country for medical treatment. they certainly would not have done this if there was a new Thai father.

Shortly after this all took place my friend moved to Pattaya and put the children in an International school and has never has a problem since.

From my 6 years living experience in Thailand I believe that a local Thai school is no place for a mixed child or a child with a foreign father. Everyone knows what working class Thai people are like and nothing good comes from the education pumped through those schools.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on this.When my Thai son was in a local school up to Primary 6, he hated going to school. He speaks fluent English, even better than the teachers teaching English there. He didn't have too much of a problem with the other kids although he couldn't understand why the teacher allowed them to shout and play during lessons. He became a bit of a favourite because he helped to translate for the teachers, and also with the other kids, mainly because he helped them with their homework I suspect. He now attends a school here in Sattahip where he has native English speakers everyday and a wonderful Thai classroom teacher. He still translates for the teachers and still helps the other kids with their English homework and loves his school. Yes, they still tend to try and mould the kids into regimented citizens, but didn't all schools do that in the West fifty years ago?

50 years sounds like a long time ago but then I realised I was in secondary school 50 years agosad.png.

So the answer to your question is a resounding no! I think the 50s and 60s generated the most independent thinking students of all time, to be followed by pale shallow imitations that cared for not much other than partying and getting a good job. But then I'm probably biased.

[uK Church of England Primary School then UK Grammar School which turned Comprehensive]

• Like 2

malcoml, on 31 Jan 2014 - 00:23, said:snapback.png

Not that it really matters, but 50 years ago in the US, no. Maybe 70 years ago. 50 years ago the hippies were in full bloom and the new music often contained references to drugs ("Puff The Magic Dragon") and sex. Free love was in the music and the culture, and there was a revolution of beliefs and actions. The teachers were more liberal and if there was ever a time when free and individual thinking and actions were promoted, it was then.

Actually Thai doctors, lawyers, high so etc generally wouldn't have any problems with a farang guy, provided that he was the type of person they were interested in.

e.g. Similar age, similar interests, similar education levels, able to easily communicate & a good personality match.

But they're probably not going to go for someone just because he's farang.

Also I don't really know about what Thai teenagers might think, in general I think that they're going to have a variety of opinions and knowing how they gossip, some of the views they have might be pretty far fetched. That's the nature of gossip, it's not restricted by the truth (Especially Thai gossip), instead it's going to get more crazy with each telling. Especially if the ladyboys and gay queens get a hold of the story, as they're the worst!

e.g. I took all of the actors I coached for our skits in the skills competition out to dinner, to thank them for all of their hard work. As it was involving acting, there were a lot of gay queens & ladyboys in the cast. The M1 group didn't gossip so much, but WOW the M5 group did some serious amounts of gossip. They were using too much slang/Isaan for me to follow, but my gf filled me in later, and it was amazing some of the gossip they had about the various different teachers & students.

They just absolutely let rip about things both real and fictional, they delighted in telling us gossip about the teachers, but also about prominent students as well. The stories which they had were so crazy, if they didn't like someone they'd pretty much just make things up about them, and if someone did anything even slightly peculiar then they'd seize on what they'd done and run with it into some crazy story which didn't even remotely resemble the truth.

My gf's younger brother goes to the school which I teach at, he used to try and ignore us if my gf and I saw him at school, since I think he was reasonably embarrassed. Although I'm not sure if that's because I'm farang, or because I'm a teacher. It's sorta funny as if I see him at school, I usually won't say anything to him, but his friends will try and get us to acknowledge each other lol, I think that they just do that because he's shy, as opposed to trying to bring him down because of it, I know if I was at school I'd have probably thought it would be funny to do something similar lol.

I was a teacher at his school before I met his sister, so I don't think there'd be any doubt about where I met her (but it wouldn't really surprise me if there was gossip regardless, particularly from the students who don't receive good grades from me lol).

So yeah, my overall opinion SirChai, would be that it's probably just the same kind of gossip which most Thai kids likely get, as they'll gossip about anything/everything.

interesting story sirchai,

my wife wants us to go to the uk or belgium to educate our daughter.she's 3 and a half now and speaks dutch, english and thai.

i often wondered why she would want to do this. maybee here lies my answer.

by the way, i got lots of time to do this as im only 44 and my wife 33.

but she has a good government job with perks and i get free medical.so it hard to decide.

but thanks for an inteligent and informative post.

good luck to you and your boy.

I a sort of disagree with your post. I'm working at government schools now for too long and wouldn't have a problem to find a good looking "educated" teacher, doctor, etc..as a partner.

Many well educated Thai women would love to have a functioning relationship with a Westerner, but not a bar stool type of a man, wearing the usual shorts and socks in funny sandals. The beer belly covered with a too big shirt from a second hand shop.

We all know what people all around the world think when talking about a Thai massage. But are all women/men in this business hookers?

It's not 18 hundred something now, we're living in the 21st century and some people seem to have hibernated for the last 200 years.

I do speak Thai, understand their culture almost perfect and I believe that those who think so are mostly the uneducated ones who are impressed when somebody puts some fancy lights underneath his car, instead of having balls.

It's not about what people would like to be. It's how the people are.-wai2.gif

cheesy.gif a doctorcheesy.gif

Honestly show your post to your son, and even him will laugh at you! Sorry to be harsh, but you are completely deluded.

Its remember me this thread of I Claudius in the pattaya forum. While he was standing near the atm, he got compliments from an old lady.....

because he do wear shoes. The poor chaps he do think, he is "de facto" a quality expat, he is above all these dirty farang trashfacepalm.gif

Just one fact, that you all missed (as usual). All the insults, the bullies, the cruealty that you child got at school from others students, you know what?

These naugthy students are just repeating what they have heard from their own parents, from the thai society, from the social media....

ps : thanks god, that TV forum is filled with deluded and funny people that help me keep smiling, thank you sirchailaugh.png

cheesy.gifA doctor, I blame the bia Chang, some 30k per month TEFLr living in the back of beyond thinks he is going to pull some HiSo Chinese doctor, pass me another bia Chang please, cheesy.gif, best make it a quat yai.

• Like 2

First thought entering my mind ( after reading the title of this thread ) was that this title is not only too long in length for the app on my GT-S6810P, but also for most human heads of today, just as this sentence I managed to post in here...

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I was just wondering if if the problem shown at the school was gender specific,do thai girls with falang step fathers have the same problem .

To answer your question with a question. Do only boys get a head or a stomach ache?-wai2.gif

Anyone with a different race parent in an area where it is not that common will get bullied and teased about it from the ages of around 11-14 any where in the World.

There was a lad at my school with a Peruvian mother and he looked Chinese so we all called him Chinky.

That's life any where at that age. Gotta accept it and deal with it.

Especially in a culture where they are raised to believe that they are better and above everyone culturally.

interesting story sirchai,

my wife wants us to go to the uk or belgium to educate our daughter.she's 3 and a half now and speaks dutch, english and thai.

i often wondered why she would want to do this. maybee here lies my answer.

by the way, i got lots of time to do this as im only 44 and my wife 33.

but she has a good government job with perks and i get free medical.so it hard to decide.

but thanks for an inteligent and informative post.

good luck to you and your boy.

You most have a wonderchild then?My youngest is about the same age as yours and all the kids in his class can't knit one sentence togheter in Dutch at their age and he attends school in Belgium and is also half Thai.