Auto Trivia

bazmlb

For all the Automotive gurus and those who just like cars, we have some Auto Trivia questions, let see who can answer the first.

(Some Thai based questions are on the way)

What car had a 21 litre engine and was 4 cylinders, Peak revs were 1200 and the gearing was such as 98 mph per thousand in top gear!

• Like 1

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope your trivia Qs will be more interesting than this. there were several large automotive 4 cylinder engines. My guess is you've dug up the old Benz engine...start of 20th century. (please don't go anal about dates!) I think a similar engine was used in German tanks later on too....may have been a flat 4 even.

Motoring facts are in truth VERY VERY boring, however if they are set in some sort of historical or scientific context they can have some value in shedding light on why we drive what we drive today and how people become so obsessive about is is in reality a simple mode of transport based on 19th century technology.

I think what is more interesting is the thinking behind these designs and the properties of extra-large bore engines. (for instance the 1 cylinder Field Marshall Tractor built in UK. ...and of course steam engines.

Edited by wilcopops

I hope your trivia Qs will be more interesting than this. there were several large automotive 4 cylinder engines. My guess is you've dug up the old Benz engine...start of 20th century. (please don't go anal about dates!) I think a similar engine was used in German tanks later on too....may have been a flat 4 even.

motoring facts are in truth VERY VERY boring, however if they are set in some sort of historical or scientific context they can have some value in shedding light on why we drive what we drive today and how people become so obsessive about is is in reality a simple mode of transport based on 19th century technology.

Thanks for the input, I want to try to find some that are interesting, this was one a friend from Pattaya Mail gave me, your reply was just what I was looking for, what direction to take this.

In answer - it's not a Benz, there are 4 things in the question that will reveal the answer.

Engine size in litres but speed quoted in mph? Are we actually talking about a steam car? (would love to have one)

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

After some deeper research, I have found it was actually a 6 cylinder, not a 4 and what movie did it feature in?

If you are talking about the Zeppelin engined Metallurgique, then - and this why I don't like dates - the dates quoted are wrong. I believe this was a Benz engine?

I didnt include dates, but your right on it being a Metallurgique Maybach Zeppelin.

guess I have to find something harder this time, unless you have something for us?

If you are talking about the Zeppelin engined Metallurgique, then - and this why I don't like dates - the dates quoted are wrong. I believe this was a Benz engine?

I didnt include dates, but your right on it being a Metallurgique Maybach Zeppelin.

guess I have to find something harder this time, unless you have something for us?

I checked the Pattaya Mail and the ages there are misleading.

Hmmmmmm, OK, how about the BMC (British Leyland) A series engines, as fitted to many small cars including the Mini.

Regarding the Mini, other than performance differences, bearings, crankshaft etc, there was one thing the Cooper S engine had that the basic Cooper or Mini didn't have.

What was it. smile.png

Hmmmmmm, OK, how about the BMC (British Leyland) A series engines, as fitted to many small cars including the Mini.

Regarding the Mini, other than performance differences, bearings, crankshaft etc, there was one thing the Cooper S engine had that the basic Cooper or Mini didn't have.

What was it. smile.png

Extra head stud

What was it. smile.png

Extra head stud

Near smile.png

What was it. smile.png

Extra head stud

Near smile.png

Side covers? I used to play around with them when I was a fella, but I've forgotten most of it now!