Changing Name on Car Title

My husband is deceased and the title of the Fortuner is in his name. I have his will and death certificate. I need to change the name on the title/registration. I have received conflicting information from the insurance office. I live in Cha Am and first it was go to Pranburi, next it was go to Petchaburi, then it was go to Bangkok, next no you can do it in Cha Am. No not Cha Am go to Bangkok as that is where it originally was registered.

I don't want to go to Bangkok unless I really have to. Does anyone know the correct answer on where and what information I will need to accomplish this.

All advice is appreciated.

If the car is registered in Bangkok ( ie says so on the number plate ) the easyier way is to get it done in Bangkok

otherwise they will want you to "move" the registration along wth the name and a licesence plate change

can take several trips to your local MAIN department of land transport office ( DLT ).

There are normally agents around the DLT who will do all the paper/leg work for you for a modest fee if you don't want all the hassel and stress of doing it yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information. Do you knoiw where in Bangkok I would go. Also what all would I need to provide them. I do have his will and death certificate as well as my passport/visa, Thai driver license, and insurance. Would they need to see the car. I would not want to drive it to Bangkok.

Thanks for the information. Do you know where in Bangkok I would go. Also what all would I need to provide them. I do have his will and death certificate as well as my passport/visa, Thai driver license, and insurance. Would they need to see the car. I would not want to drive it to Bangkok.

You have to deal with any DLT within the province listed on your license plates.

The documents you listed seem to be sufficient.

Though regulations may differ between these non centralized provincial DLT offices in LOS, my vehicle was required when I did a title transfer (from one province to another) solely because they needed to verify the vehicle's VIN numbers.

If you are apprehensive about BKK traffic, a good GPS can guide you directly to the DLT parking lot. It works for me!

As far as I know all/most of these documents are required when tranfering vehicle name

depends on the province and if the officials are having a bad hair day, phase of the moon etc.

Thai seller
Signed copy of ID card front and back ( not expired )
Signed copy of house registration ( not allways required )
signed " nungsue moub umnart " หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed "beb kum kor own le rup own " แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน ขส.บ. ท. - 11
greeen/ blue book signed

Foreigner selling needs
certificate of residence from imigration
copy pasport photo page
copy of visa page and or extension ( not expired )
signed " nungsue moub umnart " หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed "beb kum kor own le rup own " แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน ขส.บ. ท. - 11
green/blue book signed.

Yours is a tricky situation as your husband obviously can't be at the DLT or sign a power of attorney form.

They will want to see the car to check chassis and engine numbers.

If you do it in Bangkok you get to keep your Bangkok plates and everything could, possibly maybe

if everything works out and you have all the paper work they ask be done in one day. ( very unlikely )

If you do it at your local DLT it will take more trips but you won't have to drive so far to get the bit of paper you left at home

Maybe best to look for an agent at your nearest DLT they have inside contacts to smooth over the process.

Edited by johng

Any suggestions on how to find and contact an agent either in Cha Am or Bangkok?

I am apprehensive about driving to and in Bangkok. Until recently my husband did all the driving and I navigated and even he wasn't willing to drive in Bangkok.

In the States and Australia I drive but there I can expect most drivers to follow the rules of the road :)

The agents normally have a small shop/shack setup near the DLT look for a place with photo copiers.

Wow there are a lot of DLT's in your area someone with local knowledge will have to point you to the best office.

Prachuapkiri Land Transport Office
199 moo 4 Phetchkasem Road, Tambon Ao Noi, Mueang district, Prachuapkiri Kan Provincial, 77210
Tel: 032-60-2034, 032-60-1901, 032-261-1996
Covers the districts: Kui Buri, Muang and Thap Sakae district.

Area 1 Branch of Pran Buri District
61 moo 3, Petchkasem Road, Tambon Khoa Noi, Pranburi District, Prachuap Khiri Khan province, 77120
Tel: 032-62-1343
Covers the districts: Hua Hin, Pran Buri and Sam Roi Yod.

Area 2 Branch of Bang Saphan District
100 moo 1 Petchkasem Road, Tambon Thong Mongkon, Bang Saphan district, Prachuap Khiri Khan province, 77230
Tel: 032-69-7227
Covers the districts: Bang Saphan and Bang Saphan Noi.

Cha-am Land Transport Office
222 moo 1 Tambon Khao Yai, Cha-am district, Phetchaburi province, 76120
Tel: 032-471-846
Covers the districts: Tayang and Cha-am.