TOT Fiber 2U and speed for websites outside Thailand.

TheScribe

Like most of the readers here, I use the Internet mostly for stuff outside Thailand. I had TOT ADSL for years, finally got fed up with it slowing to a crawl, especially in the evenings. Few days ago I got the TOT Fiber 2U 15Mbps service and had the kit installed. The max speed between about 3am and 8am is about right, but evenings are still terrible. testmy.net to the Amsterdam server can be around 300Kbps or 3% of what I was hoping for!

Tech support said I should go to the TOT office and get a different package. Went to the TOT office this morning, they said they would send round a tech support guy tomorrow! I guess my crappy Passa Thai didn't help, but does anyone know what's going on here? Is this something I have to put up with? Are there different packages for International Internet from TOT?

Sensible and knowledgable advice gratefully received.

"Are there different packages for International Internet from TOT?"

Most Thai ISPs have this. It's usually known as "premium".

But unless you pay staggeringly large amounts of money your speed outside of Thailand will probably always collapse at peak periods. Why? Because the pipe is too small and the Thai ISPs dont want to pay for a bigger one.

I dont pay a lot (about 7000B/year) and I get about 10-12mbs between midnight and 6pm which is then capped to about 2-3mbs between 6pm and midnight (within Thailand I get 10-12mbs 24/7, but who needs that?). I doubt there would be any significant difference if I increased my package to double the cost, and as I don't especially need high international bandwidth at those hours (ah, the beauty of being retired!) it doesn't bother me anyway.

So I'd rather keep the money.

As a general statement, my service since moving to TOT fibre has been very good and makes the service my sister and friends in the UK on SKY broadband look silly. Skype video calling to the UK is now good at all times unless their end has a problem.

For sure TOT international bandwidth super sucks. They simply won't pay the price to allow you access to streaming live TV or video. I don't expect this will change and neither does TOT. I would like to know if other internet services are any better?

I have an entry level 40 Mb down/5 Up professional service from TOT at 3000 Baht a month and that works well most of the time. But when all the kids get out of school and in to the internet gaming shops it can get crowded anyway.

I also use a VPN to my home server when I travel to avoid the dangers of hotel WiFi networks and that enables met to have a Skype or Google hangout video session over my VPN for over 1 hour. For example me from my hotel in London via VPN on my home server in Thailand to a friend in Amsterdam.

On the other hand, when I want to look at a Youtube video that is not popular here and not locally cached, forget it, but that would be more to blame on youtube than TOT.

It often depends on the content that you are watching, it may help to set buffers higher if you can with the software that you use or just download the content before watching it.

Please keep in mind that what we buy is usually ONLY the connectivity to TOT's network in Thailand. Fiber is nice in that sense that it gives you a higher uplink speed. This helps if you want to send stuff TO the Internet. Uploading photos and video conferences like Skype, etc.

The international links from TOT's network to other ISPs abroad is shared by all users. Usually traffic by some user groups, e.g. business customers, is treated with priority. They should experience less congestion and bandwidth degradation during busy hour. So a low bandwidth ADSL line might in fact be faster than a high speed fiber line (during busy hour / international), if it's a business subscription.

That's the theory. As said above, besides the nominal bandwidths it also depends how well the network is managed. I have the suspicion that there is also congestion inside TOT's core network. I experienced sometimes that some destinations abroad are not reachable, while others are. Then TOT performance was suddenly exceptional with ping times of 240ms to Europe, but just for one or two days.

If there are alternatives, I would avoid TOT. Unfortunately, I have no choice and have to live with them. sad.png

So try to get a business subscription, if bandwidth during busy hour is important. Maybe you can get a trial first.

For downloading stuff, just let it run in the background over night. A VPN might help as well, as UDP traffic seems to travel with higher priority.

As a "hobby" I am collecting daily ping statistics between my server in Germany and my TOT ADSL endpoint in Bangkok. See attached example. You can see the outage between 4am and 10am at this day, which concerned only specific destinations (Host Europe in this case and some others).

post-95777-0-26630100-1391484601_thumb.p

For sure TOT international bandwidth super sucks. They simply won't pay the price to allow you access to streaming live TV or video. I don't expect this will change and neither does TOT. I would like to know if other internet services are any better?

I've seen over time, people knocking TOT around,

and I'm not sure why?

CAT & TOT are the telephone companies operators for Thailand.

The others are leasers of the connection,

and they all have caps on usage,

even though they claim unlimited.

I found out the hard way with true,

which capped me at 3gb for a month usage.

I use that in a day, so that didn't workout well.

I did have unlimited though, the speed was just dropped down to nothing.

I've had TT&T before they broke off to 3BBB,

to try to gain customer base.

They were terrible, both companies promise what they can't truly deliver,

and that's not only in my case but with others as well.

So I would only recommend CAT for first class connection,

but customer service is nill, even office service is nill,

or TOT, which I've never had an issue with,

and have been using for nine years now.

I now have fiber,

and I get 20mbps d/l & 4.5/5 mbps u/l,

which is fine for my 1,600 bht.

In the nine years I've been with them,

I've only been disconnected from service a handful of times,

but so was everyone else.

System wide connection issue,

and that can't be avoided.

The important issue here is Cap usage,

and at the moment, only CAT & TOT don't cap the usage.

Speed isn't going to help if your usage is capped at 2/5 gb a month, IMO.

Everything else is truly irrelevant for the location were at; that being Thailand.

We can dream, but in the end it's what Thailand has to offer...

and it's not the worst there is, by a long shot.

Problem is not with Int. bandwidth.

Here: http://www.totiig.net/totiig/images/Worldmap_IIG_large.jpg

TOT Has more bw than every other ISP except Cat itself.

However, TOT routing (router management) is handled by IQ <60 people and causes bottlenecks inside the Thailand before it can reach USA/EUROPE.

Thanks for the info, it was very interesting to see the .jpg,

and I'd have no idea where to look for it,

so you saved me time in posting it as well.

Cheers

and I'm not sure why?

Are you talking 3G here? I'm been with True Online for around 3 years and never experienced any capping/throttling ....had their 20Mb/2Mb DOCSIS/cable plan before and now their 15Mb/1.5Mb DOCSIS plan. Now I do remember reading once on their website/in their contract that they may limit usage if you exceed a certain high GB amount per "hour"....and then it sounded like you would then be unthrottled after a few hours. I've definitely downloaded way, way more than 3GB is some sessions and no throttling ever occurred even if it was suppose to. So, where you talking 3G or a xDSL/DOCSIS/fiber connection?

Here is what the TrueOnline Terms and Conditions say regarding use per "hour"...it varies by plan speed.

post-55970-0-72432000-1391493741_thumb.j

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

and I'm not sure why?

Are you talking 3G here? I'm been with True Online for around 3 years and never experienced any capping/throttling ....had their 20Mb/2Mb DOCSIS/cable plan before and now their 15Mb/1.5Mb DOCSIS plan. Now I do remember reading once on their website/in their contract that they may limit usage if you exceed a certain high GB amount per "hour"....and then it sounded like you would then be unthrottled after a few hours. I've definitely downloaded way, way more than 3GB is some sessions and no throttling ever occurred even if it was suppose to. So, where you talking 3G or a xDSL/DOCSIS/fiber connection?

Here is what the TrueOnline Terms and Conditions say regarding use per "hour"...it varies by plan speed.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

You probably are wright.

I had the 3g connection,

and thought there was something in place for the landline as well,

but I appear to be mistaken with the info you provided,

and of course your experience with them.

Thanks for pointing it out to me, along with their terms of agreement.

I have TOT 20mbps business package,1600 a month.(fibre)

Works fine all hours for streaming except epl football for some reason.

You sure it is business package?

Real business packages should be much more expensive on fiber.

Business package or not with tot it does not matter I have seen many downtown offices and buildings connected to tot fiber business plans with costs upwards of 20-50000 per month and yet there routing is exactly the same as my neighbor`s 690 baht tot ADSL. Looking at their internet maps and international bandwidth it seems they got decent infrastructure and the capacity but not the right network monitoring team and gateway management people who are only concerned with speeds in Thailand. So if they don't try to find the right people they will not be able to really optimize and utilize the international infrastructure they got.

• Like 1

sorry for going off topic but i just wanted to share how Singapore is living in an another galaxy in terms of internet connection compared to Thailand.

Myrepublic gamer ultra edition 1000mb download and 500 mb upload for only 49.99 SGD per month or roughly 1200 baht per month-

Features:

Customised routes to every game

Why should all network traffic go by the same routes overseas? GAMER delivers optimal latency and snap responsiveness with premium international routes to specific game and content servers.

Providing everything a gamer needs to perform

As a company built on the latest superior Next Generation all-fibre architecture, we strive to deliver ultra-low latency and network stability for top-notch performance to all games.

No more lag, no more excuses

Game data is given top network priority and channeled to where it’s intended to go via the best path, bypassing peak hour network congestion and giving you an almost unfair advantage in-game.

No BitTorrent Bandwidth Blocking :

With our network traffic priority system, my republic has no fixed speed limits or throttling for Bittorent applications.

Superior peak Hour Performance:

MyRepublic prioritizes different types of traffic , allowing streaming, surfing or gaming to run seamlessly all the time

Live Latency monitoring :

Source: https://secure.myrepublic.com.sg/pricing.php

post-110391-0-56740200-1391577642_thumb.

post-110391-0-13861800-1391577663_thumb.

post-110391-0-67172600-1391577675_thumb.

Edited by shariq607

Yes its business,minimum 20mbps up to 60,

I had to go with business as otherwise they only offer up to 10mbps packages around here.

And they do look after me if any problems,so they should after spending 120,000 baht to have it run 3.2 kms.

sorry for going off topic but i just wanted to share how Singapore is living in an another galaxy in terms of internet connection compared to Thailand.

Myrepublic gamer ultra edition 1000mb download and 500 mb upload for only 49.99 SGD per month or roughly 1200 baht per month-

Features:

Why should all network traffic go by the same routes overseas? GAMER delivers optimal latency and snap responsiveness with premium international routes to specific game and content servers.

As a company built on the latest superior Next Generation all-fibre architecture, we strive to deliver ultra-low latency and network stability for top-notch performance to all games.

Game data is given top network priority and channeled to where it’s intended to go via the best path, bypassing peak hour network congestion and giving you an almost unfair advantage in-game.

With our network traffic priority system, my republic has no fixed speed limits or throttling for Bittorent applications.

MyRepublic prioritizes different types of traffic , allowing streaming, surfing or gaming to run seamlessly all the time

?

Where it say "up to" 1000Mbps download speed I wonder what the "up to" part really means? Kinda like where 3G speeds have advertised speeds "up to 42Mbps" but a person gets much less than that. From looking at the testmy.net website the "average" download speed being shown for MyRepublic is 12.4Mb. Link.

I expect most of the tests involved in that 12.4Mb average were tests to testmy.net U.S. servers. If true, seems MyRepublic throttles international bandwidth just like Thai ISPs do.

It is always the same. Everyone should accept that you can only have a global guaranteed bandwidth if you paying a lot money. International bandwidth in Thailand still costs much much more than in Europe or USA. The other thing is that most sites we foreigners surfing are outside Thailand. No one should blame 3bb, true, TOT or whatever for this. It is a simple questions of earning money or loosing it. So 99% of all internet-user in thailand (which are thai) surfing on thai websites are happy.

So everyone who really need fast global internet (which some companies in thailand do) have to accept that a 10mbit line will costs you many thousands of baht. If you have a personal tarif and 20mbit, 30mbit, or 100mbit you will still have no guaranteed bandwidth of that for international bandwidth.

TOT Fiber? LMAO ! I only have a normal TOT package 599 thb per month and same as you , if I run testmy.net to Amsterdam I get the same as OP around 200-300 kb so its impossible to watch any streamed content between 7 pm until midnight! So I stay up late at night if I want to watch a movie or download something .

I have no choice , so I am stuck with TOT! No need to pay for a fiber line from TOT unless you want to upload , you're wastng your money .

It is always the same. Everyone should accept that you can only have a global guaranteed bandwidth if you paying a lot money. International bandwidth in Thailand still costs much much more than in Europe or USA. The other thing is that most sites we foreigners surfing are outside Thailand. No one should blame 3bb, true, TOT or whatever for this. It is a simple questions of earning money or loosing it. So 99% of all internet-user in thailand (which are thai) surfing on thai websites are happy.

So everyone who really need fast global internet (which some companies in thailand do) have to accept that a 10mbit line will costs you many thousands of baht. If you have a personal tarif and 20mbit, 30mbit, or 100mbit you will still have no guaranteed bandwidth of that for international bandwidth.

Yep - see my thread earlier this month. I was checking from New York back to Bangkok - completely sucked too.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have TOT fiber too. I have the BUSINESS GRADE and pay 8000 baht per month. My business is VPN to Australia all day and night. IT is great and I run VOIP phones on it as well.

HOME grade you get routed terribly. It is slowed in the USA tunnels.

IF YOU CAN GET TRUE CABLE. They have better routing options

Features:

170 ms to west coast is impossible. East coast is possible from SG (Los Angeles)

I had to go with business as otherwise they only offer up to 10mbps packages around here.

And they do look after me if any problems,so they should after spending 120,000 baht to have it run 3.2 kms.

So you got min 20, max 60mbit fiber tot2u business package for 1600 baht/month?

Sounds too good to be true. How much is upload speeds (min max)?

So you got min 20, max 60mbit fiber tot2u business package for 1600 baht/month?

Sounds too good to be true. How much is upload speeds (min max)?

Normally between 3-4mbps upload.

Features:

Game data is given top network priority and channeled to where its intended to go via the best path, bypassing peak hour network congestion and giving you an almost unfair advantage in-game.

170 ms to west coast is impossible. East coast is possible from SG (Los Angeles)

Why its not possible ? 170 ms is definitely possible from singapore. I think you are mistaken los angeles is in west coast. Edited by shariq607