Thai Bankers Association tells depositors not to rush to withdraw money: Rice pledging

webfact

TBA tells depositors not to rush to withdraw money

2-5-2014-11-10-28-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Bankers Association today warned bank depositors not to rush to banks to withdraw their money from banks which they anticipated would provide loans to finance the caretaker government’s rice pledging scheme.

Association president Thawatchai Yongkittikul said bank depositors should not be in panic as so far no bank has yet extended the rice loan to the caretaker government.

He assured that commercial banks have transparent management which could be balanced and checked and they adhered strictly to good governance.

He said until now it is still unclear of the legal issue regarding the legal obligation of the loans and therefore scaring away banks to consider loans to finance the scheme.

He also ensured bank depositors of the financial strength of the Thai financial institutions which have BIS ratio higher than standards.

Earlier the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) leaders have advised their protesters to withdraw their deposits from any bank which provides loans to finance the rice-pledging scheme either directly or indirectly.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/tba-tells-depositors-rush-withdraw-money/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-05

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I noted esterday ANY such publicity will encourage withdrawals.

There are queues at KT.

Is there any deposit insurance here like EU?

If not be avery good measure,however as I understand it any spending that could bind future governments is barred.This seldom inhibits arms procurement.

Association president Thawatchai Yongkittikul said bank depositors should not be in panic as so far no bank has yet extended the rice loan to the caretaker government.

so when a bank does extend a rice loan is the time to start panicking clap2.gif

IF and when a bank announces that it will be extending a loan to the government to sort out the rice payment problem it may or may not be too late to withdraw your funds.

Isnt this like stopping the horse after it drinks the poisoned water?

If people wait until a loan is granted by a bank then it will be too late to withdraw all your money. Plus the fact the thia gov loves to make secret deals and can easily use this SOE as an excuse not to tell anyone. I think anyone who has thier money in a bank that is even considering loaning to the gov should decide if they want to take a chance with their funds. But to wait for it your bank to agree is waiting too long

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The Thai banking system is quite stable and there is absolutely no reason for anyone to do anything. Waste of time, waste of money.

Maybe, but if the trickle becomes a flood, do you do a King Canute and try stop the tide, or do you rescue your savings?

"TBA tells depositors not to rush to withdraw money"

Okay folks, take your money out of the bank now, because you can't trust any government affiliated organization AND their bank directors...

I don't trust anything a banker says.

That was the last straw for my household, just been down and withdrawn all our savings from Thai banks, keeping cash in a heavy secret safe for the time being. More than a few people down there doing the same. Mild panic would accurately describe the poor bank staff.

Too much run on the banks and they will close the doors then no one will get any money, all accounts frozen ,then it starts to get real rough.