Deportation threat: Indian business chairman Satish to seek justice from Thai court

webfact

Indian business chairman Satish to seek justice from court

BANGKOK: -- Thai-Indian Business Association chairman Satish Sehgal says he will seek justice from the court over deportation threat by the Center for the Maintaining of Peace and Order (CMPO) over alleged charge of inciting unrest in the country

Reaction by the prominent and well-known Thai-India businessman came after the CMPO director Chalerm Yubamrungh is asking the National Police Office to begin the deportation process of Satish.

Chalerm accused Satish of being a foreign national who had colluded with the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) to violate laws on several occasions, including defying the emergency decree;

But Satish questioned the alleged charges saying although he joined the protest stage of the PDRC several times, he never touched on political issues but economical and business issues.

Besides, he said he also spoke on issue related to the monarch institution of which he loved and strongly upheld with urge that the institution must not be violated by any sides.

“So what charge I am facing,” he said and added it was unfair to accuse me,” he said.

He said he has been in Thailand for over 50 years and being a Thai although he was born in India at the time his family was stuck in India during the Second World War.

His family moved to Thailand when he was five years old and all his brothers and sisters were all bond in Thailand.

He said he could not choose where to be born but what he could choose was he will die in this country where he loved.

He said he is single and is living and taking care of his 90-year-old mother who is always sick.

As a Thai-Indian businessman, he said he has devoted his life to promote trade between Thailand and India since bilateral trade with India was a mere US$100 million to now over one billion US dollars.

He said he had been business advisor to six previous governments and always performed as good citizen.

He said he received a warrant on the night of January 23 to report himself to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) on January 24.

However he did not report because the time was too tight that he could not prepare himself to defend.

He said he would fight the deportation case in the court for it was the last resort that justice could be sought from.

After news of the attempt to deport him, he said he received over a thousand people and friends giving him morale support.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/indian-business-chairman-satish-seek-justice-court/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-05

• Like 1

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So special laws for Indians ?

He was warned like all foregners .

Thai leaders/voters were not arrested ,yet as the Police and government stated it may exacerbate the tensions.

If this guy was so well respected/connected it could not happen ,I hope his supporters have deep pockets.Good riddance to law breakers they only make lifeharder for us who play by the rules,the foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers,if you can't do the time don't do the crime,I am minded the authorities are sufficently corrupt that he'll pay off and shut up if he knows what's good for him ,Lord Buddha was Nepalese and Indians are pretty near the bottom in Thai thinking as anyone familiar with local "nicknames" jek,kek and falang will know..

• Like 2

If per the article he is truly a Thai citizen, as it appears he states then they cannot deport him, and if they do it is a violation of international human rights......PTP democracy in action again it seems

In another paper which we dare not speak of, he says he arrived in Thailand at the age of 15. His 4 siblings are Thai citizens born in Thailand but he has never applied for citizenship.

• Like 2

Thai leaders/voters were not arrested ,yet as the Police and government stated it may exacerbate the tensions.

If this guy was so well respected/connected it could not happen ,I hope his supporters have deep pockets.Good riddance to law breakers they only make lifeharder for us who play by the rules,the foreign drug dealers pimps boiler room scammers,if you can't do the time don't do the crime,I am minded the authorities are sufficently corrupt that he'll pay off and shut up if he knows what's good for him ,Lord Buddha was Nepalese and Indians are pretty near the bottom in Thai thinking as anyone familiar with local "nicknames" jek,kek and falang will know..

Can you please prove to us that he is not a Thai citizen?

If per the article he is truly a Thai citizen, as it appears he states then they cannot deport him, and if they do it is a violation of international human rights......PTP democracy in action again it seems

The reasoning of most of TV members blows my mind.

On one hand, the reasoning of most TV members is that this person is a Thai and can not be deported (although his Thai citizenship is not proven and for the rule of law her is a foreigner).

On the other hand, the reasoning of TV members is in line with Suthep demands that PM Yingluck and all the Shinawatras should be deported out of Thailand forever.

Notwithstanding that PM Yingluck and the Shinawatras ARE THAI CITIZENS ad have the right to be in their country.

TV democracy in action again it seems.

In support of Soutpeel he opened his comment with "IF" he was saying that the guy was a thai citizen he was saying IF he was. Oh and yes I agree with your comment also.

No country can ever 'deport' it's own citizen. If he was a citizen, they would have used the word 'exile'. In any case it was widely reported in the media, and a simple google search will provide you all the details you need. He is 70yrs old, claims to have come here as a young child but never taken citizenship in the 50+ years he has been here.

• Like 2

No country can ever 'deport' it's own citizen. If he was a citizen, they would have used the word 'exile'. In any case it was widely reported in the media, and a simple google search will provide you all the details you need. He is 70yrs old, claims to have come here as a young child but never taken citizenship in the 50+ years he has been here.

I'm not sure if he holds a passport or not; but to many Thais it would make no difference. To most Thais that I have come across, and Indian or Westerner holding a valid Thai passport is still not Thai.

One Thai told me once about the Indian community here; "I don't care if they have lived here 100,000,000 years and have a passport, not they, nor their children are Thai, have ever been Thai or will ever be Thai."

In most Thai minds, a foreigner is someone who is not ethnically Thai, regardless of the fact that they "may" have a Thai passport and hold citizenship.

• Like 1

did we read the same artical??

I'm not sure if he holds a passport or not; but to many Thais it would make no difference. To most Thais that I have come across, and Indian or Westerner holding a valid Thai passport is still not Thai.

One Thai told me once about the Indian community here; "I don't care if they have lived here 100,000,000 years and have a passport, not they, nor their children are Thai, have ever been Thai or will ever be Thai."

In most Thai minds, a foreigner is someone who is not ethnically Thai, regardless of the fact that they "may" have a Thai passport and hold citizenship.

What are their views about the Chinese settlers who are also foreigners?

In the past there have been incidents of purges and massacres of Chinese Thais, but it seems nowadays that the ones who hold citizenship are considered Thai.

But thats just my take, ask some Thais if you really want to know. However, there is a term for them; not considered very nice. "jek."

The reasoning of most of TV members blows my mind.

On one hand, the reasoning of most TV members is that this person is a Thai and can not be deported (although his Thai citizenship is not proven and for the rule of law her is a foreigner).

On the other hand, the reasoning of TV members is in line with Suthep demands that PM Yingluck and all the Shinawatras should be deported out of Thailand forever.

Notwithstanding that PM Yingluck and the Shinawatras ARE THAI CITIZENS ad have the right to be in their country.

TV democracy in action again it seems.

Kudos +1 for you.

Double standard of double standards for someone here!

• Like 1

The point this government is not democratic run government and will break the law, Thai or international as they please

I think the whole issue is blown out of proportion

1. Business tycoon? He own an advertisement company, not more than that.

2. He joined hand with the protestors against a warning in all news that foreigners have to stay out

3. He is not Thai ( Indians normally will never change as they are proud to be Indians) he could have changed his citizenship as he can speak Thai is living here for long but he did not, therefore he is ( in the future was) a guest in Thailand.

4. Violating rules given by the government will lead to a punishment everywhere in the world. It is not our or anybodies job to judge if this was a good or bad order by the authority. He violated the order knowingly and now he has to face the consequences.

For me that is a normal process. That he is here for 50 years bad luck for him. I am sure that he can read Thai, he did know what he did therefore I am not feel sorry for him.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Indian PCAD Leader Decries Deportation Attempt

BY Khaosod English.

13915827371391582757l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An India-born anti-government protest leader has lashed out at the government's attempt to deport him from Thailand.

Mr. Satit Segal, director of India-Thai business association and a core leader of the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), admitted he still possessed Indian passport, and he has not applied for Thai citizenship, but insisted that he has every right to remain on Thai soils.

"I′ve been in Thailand for more than 50 years, since I was 5 year old," Mr. Satit said, "I′m not going anywhere".

He added, "This is my home and my country. I′ve only done good things for the nation".

His comment followed the threat by the Center for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) that the Royal Thai Police have been instructed to deport Mr. Satit on the ground that he is an "illegal alien". CMPO officials alleged that Mr. Satit has violated the Thai laws by joining the anti-government protests despite the enactment of State of Emergency, which - in principle - bans political gathering.

But Mr. Satit claimed he has never joined any demonstration since the emergency decree was announced.

The Indian businessman also stressed that he is loyal to the Thai monarchy, and vowed to seek justice from the court in order to block the effort of his deportation.

"I am consulting my legal advisers right now," Mr. Satit said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1UVTRNamN6Tnc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-05