First time ever

You do realize... while it seems to be the norm and a common practice...you could go to jail over this...if he want to press charges for bribery. But it's very doubtful. Just saying.biggrin.png

• Like 1

You do realize... while it seems to be the norm and a common practice...you could go to jail over this...if he want to press charges for bribery. But it's very doubtful. Just saying.biggrin.png

Never stopped his mate next to him or the men in Pattaya when I went there before

You do realize... while it seems to be the norm and a common practice...you could go to jail over this...if he want to press charges for bribery. But it's very doubtful. Just saying.biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579>

You do realize... while it seems to be the norm and a common practice...you could go to jail over this...if he want to press charges for bribery. But it's very doubtful. Just saying.biggrin.png src="http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png" alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579>

Never stopped his mate next to him or the men in Pattaya when I went there before

However you may view it, it could easily be interpreted as bribery by anyone watching you hand over the money or an officer pocketing the money, and I agree with Curtklay many would consider it offensive. If you want everyone to think you're Mr. Big Time with your Baht 100, there's probably one of those containers nearby from a legitimate charity into which you can shove it.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

if his reply was exactly as you have said i would think he felt offended for reasons previously mentioned i hope that he does not remember you next year or maybe EXTRA documentation /proof income etc maybe required do you usually make friends easily??

Tipping an Official for doing his job? I am not getting any of this. This kind of tipping can lead to corruption.... A smart officer would think of his career, as more than likely, there is a camera present. He has limited power to deny a visa/ and or extension. But if you are kosher...no problems. Tipping might be a sign of "hey..look the other way!" Also might encourage them to be looking for tips from the others in line. 100 baht times 50 applications.... more than I make.

• Like 1

Tipping an Immigration officer!! I am a silly tipper, but would never dream of doing that

Well said. I too am silly tipper and this is something to think about.

Had Thai Police Officer, In Ubon, went far out of his way to help. Tried giving him 100bh. He would not take.

Finally bent down as if picking it up off the ground. Said, it must be yours. He accepted it but with caution. Would have given him 1000bh but didn't have it with me.

My son is, USA Federal Police Officer, with rank. When I share these experiences with him. He always says the same thing, Dad we think you might be our boss

Everyone, enjoy.

Edited by nithisa78

I'm never heard of tipping a government official for doing their job. Seems dangerous. I wouldn't advise it.

It happens all the time in developing countries. Only in Thailand they are trying to crack down on it. In Cambodia, India, Vietnam etc. it's standard procedure.

just bring some nice pastry or something... that is acceptable and they always can pass it on to their boss or share with collegues

I agree,.. this is something my (Thai) wife taught me. If you tip too much you're a briber and complicit in bringing shame to that person and their office/business,.. and if too low you're a cheap Charlie and offer insult anyway.

Best to buy them a 200 baht tin of biscuits or pastry or whatever and offer it as a genuine gift of gratitude and respect,.. it will always be respectfully received with a wai!

• Like 1

I've been to the immigration office in Jomtien numerous times. They have always without exception stapled the 100 Bht change to the returning documentation and returned it. There has never been any hint or suggestion of a bribe being wanted and definitely never taken. Your experience seems to be different. Can you elaborate somewhat on your statement ?

You do realize... while it seems to be the norm and a common practice...you could go to jail over this...if he want to press charges for bribery. But it's very doubtful. Just saying.biggrin.png alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579>

You do realize... while it seems to be the norm and a common practice...you could go to jail over this...if he want to press charges for bribery. But it's very doubtful. Just saying.biggrin.png src="http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.png" alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579>

However you may view it, it could easily be interpreted as bribery by anyone watching you hand over the money or an officer pocketing the money, and I agree with Curtklay many would consider it offensive. If you want everyone to think you're Mr. Big Time with your Baht 100, there's probably one of those containers nearby from a legitimate charity into which you can shove it.

What a load of <deleted>! Stop trying to make a drama out of a 100 baht tip.

The OP was probably expecting to pay, was happy to pay for good service received or has received a 'demand' in the past - quite common.

If you think a 100 baht tip is flashing the cash then I pity you.

I blame the IO for not having the good grace to put it in the tea money tin smile.png

With all the screaming and bitching about government people taking bribes by the politicians.

Even if you give me 5 baht i would not take it.

He is a smart man and to be honest you are a very lucky EX PAT.

To be honest i would cease this if you want to do something nice have your paperwork ready and smile no matter what.

If there is a poor person or kid nearby then buy them a coffee.or drink

I tip in restaurant no matter if it is good or bad service.

I had a boss explain why this way. If you leave them a great tip then they are really happy

If you leave nothing then they think you are cheap or forgot.

Leave a 10 cents from a 60 dollar bill they get the hint that you thought there service sucked

First time I tried it the restaurant had a front window. I went out and watched. man did it work

Once in awhile I'll give a nice gift basket of fruit or a box of chocolates, and motion it's for everyone, to show my appreciation for their kind service.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed, please do not make it a habit to post in bold fonts.

Tipping an Official for doing his job? I am not getting any of this. This kind of tipping can lead to corruption.... A smart officer would think of his career, as more than likely, there is a camera present. He has limited power to deny a visa/ and or extension. But if you are kosher...no problems. Tipping might be a sign of "hey..look the other way!" Also might encourage them to be looking for tips from the others in line. 100 baht times 50 applications.... more than I make.

Are you for real ??? Try Hua Hin office sometime and get raped.