First time ever

You do realize... while it seems to be the norm and a common practice...you could go to jail over this...if he want to press charges for bribery. But it's very doubtful. Just saying.biggrin.png

Never stopped his mate next to him or the men in Pattaya when I went there before

Just maybe the word "CORRUPTION" has started to filter through from the Demonstrations and Officials have been given an Official directive on the matter.

I went to Immigration today to get my Retirement Ext. renewed when it came time to pay to 1900 baht I told him to keep the 100 baht change, the officer said to me he not want and that he had his own money and lots of money, never happen there before and I have been going there for 4 years

You didn't give him enough to justify taking it. Next time slip him a 1k note see if he says the same <deleted>.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think if he had just said that he is not allowed to take money I would of not had a problem but my Thai lady was very embarrassed at the tone of his comments and so was one of the other people in the office who said that he was a crazy man, not for not taking the money but for his attitude. I do give then a gift every time I go there because if I ever have a problem they are normally very helpful but maybe I should stop doing this now

Sorry I cannot understand what the difference is between giving money, or giving a gift they are both a gift for good service or just a bribe, but has they not take the money till near the end how can it be a bribe for extra services

Why would you wana tip them?

An immigration office is not a tipping environment.

More like a "robbery environment". While on an ed visa they tried on at least one occasion to not give me 100 baht change 2000 - 1900 fee (chaeng wattana) The desk guy interviewed and approved it. he took 2000 and i waited to be called. a female officer brought my documents and walked away very quickly. i looked for my change very fast and called her equally as fast to ask her where my change is. she played dumb, called another female officer to talk to me. the second officer amazingly found my change and gave it to me. subsequently i had exact change almost always.

Exactly the same thing happened to me , so last time took the correct money. 100 baht is really nothing to worry about, but was expecting my change.

Apart from 90 day reporting, everything else costs money at immigration; why on earth give a tip?

Simply cultural differences grasshopper. These sorts of "facilitation fees" are very common in lesser developed countries. In our wonderful developed countries, we do similar things, it's often called an "expediency fee." For example, if you need your passport renewed quickly, you pay an "expediency fee." Yes, you can argue they are not the same, the immigration officer did not speed your process--but he did not impeded it, did he? However, in deed they are the same--the logic for both situations is: the management allows it; therefore it's legitimate. When the immigration office commander cracks down, it stops. When he turns his head, it arises again. I often am reminded of an old facetious remark on the Asian 'bribery' issue, it went something like, "Oh? I killed your mother did I? How much is that?" As if anything can be done, as long as you pay a fee for doing it.

I'm never heard of tipping a government official for doing their job. Seems dangerous. I wouldn't advise it.

its simply bloody crazy! Each time I go to immigration I record the conversation on my phone, I have been asked for money and I do speak fluent Thai, when I showed the immigration officer the phone and our conversation being recorded, I was stamped out of the office in quick time and have never had a problem with this official since. Cover your tracks, do the right thing andreport such attempts should they occur.

Simply cultural differences grasshopper. These sorts of "facilitation fees" are very common in lesser developed countries. In our wonderful developed countries, we do similar things, it's often called an "expediency fee." For example, if you need your passport renewed quickly, you pay an "expediency fee." Yes, you can argue they are not the same, the immigration officer did not speed your process--but he did not impeded it, did he? However, in deed they are the same--the logic for both situations is: the management allows it; therefore it's legitimate. When the immigration office commander cracks down, it stops. When he turns his head, it arises again. I often am reminded of an old facetious remark on the Asian 'bribery' issue, it went something like, "Oh? I killed your mother did I? How much is that?" As if anything can be done, as long as you pay a fee for doing it.

It would be hard to find six lines more loaded with such trite corruption apology. Say it simply next time: "bend over like i do".

I went to Immigration today to get my Retirement Ext. renewed when it came time to pay to 1900 baht I told him to keep the 100 baht change, the officer said to me he not want and that he had his own money and lots of money, never happen there before and I have been going there for 4 years

You didn't give him enough to justify taking it. Next time slip him a 1k note see if he says the same <deleted>.

Why not 10,000? Just to see the reaction. You must be very good at putting smiles on next person faces.

It would be hard to find six lines more loaded with such trite corruption apology. Say it simply next time: "bend over like i do".

To what do you think I offer an apology?

I think tipping people outside of hotels, restaurants, etc. should be discouraged for 2 reasons:

1. Many are offended by it, and consider it just some farang trying to flash his money around. (even if that is not your intention, they see it that way)

2. Those that do take it will expect it from the next guy, and if it isn't offered, you'll be labeled "Cheap Charlie".

It really depends on the person and the situation. If done with a smile a gesture of friendliness most are not offended by it and simply see it as another silly thing that foreigners do. In my 10 years of living, working and traveling here I have found not too many people (even at tourist hot spots) expect tips, they are almost always grateful that they got anything. It really depends on the persons attitude towards the employee.

Read my above sentence again and you will know.

Read my above sentence again and you will know.

Well, let's see, I wrote eight lines, so I am not sure to which six lines you refer. And, my statements were my perception of fact--no apology intended or stated. I see no bending over, if you care to know how I handle corruption; I weight its cost against its convenience. If it costs more than the benefit received, I go elsewhere.

if you care to know how I handle corruption; I weight its cost against its convenience. If it costs more than the benefit received, I go elsewhere.

too bad there are no points.awarded to foreigners fpr.adopting.corruption otherwise you would have harvested many already. note that this is the kind of harvesting that requires one to bend over.

I always tip the bellboy (or equivalent) when I first book into a hotel. You know the person, the one who is connected, always one in every hotel. Some people think I'm crazy for doing this, but if you think about it, he will have the incentive from the start to help you out during your stay.

You go to the front of every queue that way................wink.png

if you care to know how I handle corruption; I weight its cost against its convenience. If it costs more than the benefit received, I go elsewhere.

too bad there are no points.awarded to foreigners fpr.adopting.corruption otherwise you would have harvested many already. note that this is the kind of harvesting that requires one to bend over.

People are different the world over. They see things in different lights. That does not necessarily make them wrong, it makes them different. Of course, there are varying levels of corruption. The local immigration officer asking/hinting/demanding a fee for doing his job seems a vile deed to many Westerners who expect to have their papers handled in a lawful manner. However, the reality is more basic. Immigration and other minor officials in some lesser developed countries are low-paid in respect to the services they offer. To supplement their incomes, or to buy tea and office supplies, they are almost expected by their cultural norms--and their superiors--to accept facilitation fees for doing their jobs--it has become a culturally accepted behavior. Have you never crossed the border near closing time and been asked for an "overtime fee" to be processed before the border closes? You have a choice, pay the fee or wait until tomorrow--with hotel and meals expenses, not to mention time wasted. It is usually the falang who complains; ask your Thai friends what they think of such "facilitation fees." Unfortunately, corruption is still rampant in the more advanced nations too--only it is at a much higher level and most of us plebes do not see and can not afford it. However, look at how many elected officials who get rich on government salaries. Look at the prevalence of political actions committees, lobbyists, courtiers, cronies and what-have-you terms for those who seek to circumnavigate or assist in circumnavigation of the prescribed legal path. Not agreeing with it, just stating the way it is.

Why don't you start a campaign to out every official who takes bribes--that should assuage your feelings and show you don't bend over.