Roofing Costs

cmsally

Has anyone recently fitted any of the lightweight roofing (think its polycarbonate) for covering balcony , side of house etc. It's the material that comes in many colours as well as clear and bends to a curve - you see it in a lot of the moobahns. All the colours are fairly translucent.

Anyone have any idea of costs either for raw material or completed job.

I just got a quote of 37,000 Bt (materials and fitting)for a side roof of approx 3-4m projection and length of around 6m.

Not up to date with building costs but seems a bit expensive !

Anyone have any helpful info on this kind of thing; it would be most welcome!

This is very expensive material if high grade from US or Taiwan but believe price has become much lower recently (or at least more people have it). Another factor besides the origin of material is if you use stainless steel construction. We covered an area for two cars that extends several meters more at a cost of about 80k several years ago using stainless. That seemed to be the going price in Bangkok at the time. It seems to hold up well as still looks new.

Thank you for the feedback. I think one of the reasons for the high price is as you said because of the quality. Good point on stainless steel - I will check if any posts and fitting used will be stainless. Also I will get a couple of other quotes and see what we end up with and let you know.

Not as posh as polycarbonate but you can buy sheets of translucent roofing material in the same size as the standard cement sheets (about 0.5 square meter per sheet). These are just over 200 baht each so the roofing material would set you back around 10,000. The cement sheets are around 50 baht each so if you mainly used these the costs would fall rapidly. If its only a carport and the roof is not in full view I would suggest the cement is the best way forward. You can of course paint it any colour you want but please not blue – horrible colour for a roof!

Has anyone recently fitted any of the lightweight roofing (think its polycarbonate) for covering balcony , side of house etc. It's the material that comes in many colours as well as clear and bends to a curve - you see it in a lot of the moobahns. All the colours are fairly translucent.

Anyone have any idea of costs either for raw material or completed job.

I just got a quote of 37,000 Bt (materials and fitting)for a side roof of approx 3-4m projection and length of around 6m.

Not up to date with building costs but seems a bit expensive !

Anyone have any helpful info on this kind of thing; it would be most welcome!

we just moved into a new house in a moo bahn and got a new thai kitchen installed as a sweetner to buy the house, the roofing is polycarb, and measures about 3m x 4m x 4.5 m. The price I heard the designer say was about 30,000. And it is made in Australia. Its a light smokey brown and looks fabulous. Designed to last and no problems re rot, paint, uv etc etc

thinking of having it done over the balcony as well and currently getting a quote.

Latest update is second quote where apparently there are different grades of the stuff.

39000 for Grade A, 31000 for grade B (both polycarbonate) and 21000 for something called Solarplex??

• 3 years later...

Just had a quote today in Pattaya - B2300 sq/m including installation, stainless frame/fittings & polycarbonate panels

My particular roof needs to be 18 sq/m and the price they gave me was B45,000 all in. At first I though this was a bit expensive.

Any thoughts?