When Did It Last Rain at Your House?

EBlair48

Going over two months for me.

Anyone had any rain at all? Today was the first time I'd even seen clouds in weeks, dissipated though, before any rain fell. It's as dry as it gets.

Guy about a kilometer down the lane almost set the entire woods next to him on fire last night from burning rubbish and I read the JW Mariott had a large fire next door to it in a forest.

• Like 1

Khao Lak / rained just once the last 3 months. Overgrown empty plots of land behind me and in front of me, grass turned yellow, driest "winter" since 2001, hope everybody will burn trash / dispose of cigarette butts in a responsible way.

• Like 1

^^ Cute, but what's the corn on the left doing?

I'm worried the well will go dry, guy has started some kind of fish farm down the lane the other way and filled up two huge pits, since then my water is a bit dirthy.

It's going on 10 weeks, never remember it being this dry, this long. Is it a portent of more extreme weather patterns? One reason I settled here was the abundant rainfall, it really might be important to have such a commodity in the years to come, but if we get no rain for month on end, and then too much rain- for months on end... (not to start any causual debates ... pleaze)

^ What happened to the fish?

I put out a bucket of sand out today to put cigarette butts in . I'm terrified one of the workers - or more

likely, a visiting friend will carelessly toss a butt in the woods next door and start a fire. It is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

^ Yeah, but 418 BC was the worst !!

[ Oh no... thread becomes who's lived here longest pissing contest smiley icon.]

There was a sky full of mackerel clouds ( look like fish scales) this morning, which usually herald rain. Ceared up though about an hour ago, though it does look promising toward the east and wind is coming from that way

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

^ Things could go very bad on Phuket in the future concering water if these kind of droughts become the norm. We'll get six months of floods, then 6 months of nothing. I think climate extremes will become more and more frequent- kinda figured the tropics would be a little better insulated, but maybe not.

Late this afternoon got some dark cloud coverage over most of the sky, did a few chores like ditching the dirt lane so if a downpour comes it doesn't flash flood over into the garden. Really looked promising, then got.... two misty drops. Two

It still is a bit overcast, but I've got humidy of 70 % right now, so not too hopeful. Two months and three weeks without a drop. The reservoirs near me are at half levels so not dire around here for water, yet .

The mature rubber trees around are bare of leaves, the saplings though, look pretty spry, freshly greened. Guess dew is enough for them.

Four days ago some kids started a fire that almost got out of control, man they are just so stupid.

Edited by EBlair48

I think the current drought is part of the normal fluctuation. There are still many variables which are not really known and only the past few years there has been increase amount of real science to study the effects of long term variations. These include well known el nino/la nina, and still less known Atlantic oscillation together with decreased solar activity etc. There must be plenty more unknown variables, which simply has not been discovered or understood yet.

Overall nothing to be overly afraid. I guess we would need a word which defines timescale patterns between weather and climate.

Leafless rubber trees reminds me home in the autumn. Some of the trees have even turned into brown-reddish color. This happens almost every year.

I have been conserving water a lot. It was many months ago since I had full tanks (6000 liters) and have not been able to get a water truck to my home as the company I normally order water did not have a good enough driver to climb the road to my home. Hopefully going to get a refill tomorrow.

i checked my well level yesterday. i have 23 rings (11.5m) and i'm 6m below the surface so i still have a nice 5.5m of water in there which i'm very happy about

i just hope it doesn't go down a lot over the next month of so.

my friend in Hua Hin said they had a big rain storm a couple of days ago, about 1" of rain