Phuket Immigration Nightmare

phuketjock

Did I understand that correctly?

Retirement visas are now done on the ground floor and crippled and infirm applicants are no longer required to climb the stairs?

Can anyone confirm?

yes i did it last week on ground floor

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let you know:-

My one year extension for retirement ends on the 22nd May.

There is a chance that I might not be back in Thailand by this time, so, would have to go through all the rigmarole of getting another Non-Imm O visa.

A friend I work with, lives in Pattaya and was in the same predicament. He said he went to immigration two months early with all the usual paperwork for the extension, plus a flight itinerary showing that he would fly back to Thailand after the previous extension had expired. They gave him the extension early, so, have tried to do the same thing here.

Phuket immigration won't do it.

That sucks! Would Phang Nga allow you to apply for an extension even if you reside in Phuket? Maybe try there?

***Edit*** Never mind. After rereading it sounds like you have left already.

Edited by Pakaty

Just to let you know:-

My one year extension for retirement ends on the 22nd May.

There is a chance that I might not be back in Thailand by this time, so, would have to go through all the rigmarole of getting another Non-Imm O visa.

A friend I work with, lives in Pattaya and was in the same predicament. He said he went to immigration two months early with all the usual paperwork for the extension, plus a flight itinerary showing that he would fly back to Thailand after the previous extension had expired. They gave him the extension early, so, have tried to do the same thing here.

Phuket immigration won't do it.

That sucks! Would Phang Nga allow you to apply for an extension even if you reside in Phuket? Maybe try there?

***Edit*** Never mind. After rereading it sounds like you have left already.

If one was to move and live in Phang Nga they would do an extension.

If living in Phuket they would not but if some wish to make a trip and try they are welcome !

Retirement visas are now done on the ground floor and crippled and infirm applicants are no longer required to climb the stairs?

Can anyone confirm?

Big relief to know that Ol Croc won't need to bring his sherpa along to haul him up those steps. crazy.gif

Edited by grumpyoldman

Can anyone confirm?

Big relief to know that Ol Croc won't need to bring his sherpa along to haul him up those steps. crazy.gif

Haven't been up those stairs for about 4 years. I usually send my sherpa missus up to do the deed. Last year a grumpy Immigration guy had to come down stairs to take a happy snap of me on his iPhone.

one month I did fill in all papers for Family-visa, today went in and show my passport. Took the passport and said have seat plese. Vaited 10 min and the officer give me the passport: All stamps was there, one year family-visa no hazzel. Thank you, and out the door I went quickly. Could not be better then this. clap2.gif

one month I did fill in all papers for Family-visa, today went in and show my passport. Took the passport and said have seat plese. Vaited 10 min and the officer give me the passport: All stamps was there, one year family-visa no hazzel. Thank you, and out the door I went quickly. Could not be better then this. clap2.gif

A family VISA ?

Scan and post a copy of this "visa" please because

1. There is no such visa !

2, If there was such a "visa" it would not be issued by immigration .

Can anyone confirm?

Update as experienced today

90 days was downstairs and visa transfer from old to new passport was upstairs, and it took ONLY 130 minutes.

Maybe they change the upstairs and downstairs according to odd and even daysfacepalm.gif

^^ I thought visa transfer old/new passport was a stamp, stamp in out? Plus I need a re-entry stamp. Guess I'll bring my tent.

Not one stamp! They stamp ALL previous visas from the into the new passport, and you need copies of ALL previous visas from the old passport.

At least that was the rule today, who knows what it will be tomorrow.

^^ I thought visa transfer old/new passport was a stamp, stamp in out? Plus I need a re-entry stamp. Guess I'll bring my tent.

Not one stamp! They stamp ALL previous visas from the into the new passport, and you need copies of ALL previous visas from the old passport.

Okay thanks, I'll put that package together and hopefully save some time.

Okay thanks, I'll put that package together and hopefully save some time.

A suggestion, when you come up there and the officer next to the volunteer has a 30cm pile of papers in front of him, better come back the next day.

Because the officer is checking the papers not once, not twice but at least 4 or times, sheet by sheet.

Even the volunteer seemed to be embarrassed that it took such a long time, that says it all.

Following are all of the details from my visit to Phuket Immigration earlier this month to obtain an extension of stay based upon marriage (2nd extension, using monthly income method).

If you're not interested in the blow-by-blow details, just skip to the end for a list of the documents that were ultimately required and accepted.

To prepare all of the documentation, I used the printed "card" that was provided last year, listing all required documentation for a marriage extension. No such "card" is available this year. All documents were provided in duplicate.

Doors were opened at 8:40am (10 minutes late). About 10 people waiting on the 2nd floor terrace outside. There are now large signs posted in the 2nd floor windows noting which services are performed in each room (floor). Despite the fact that it clearly says that Retirement extensions are processed on the 1st floor, about half of the people were in the wrong place, and sent downstairs when they reached the volunteer.

Volunteer reviewed paperwork, and noted a copy of the 1st page of a bank book should be used instead of a copy of an ATM card (as opposed to what's listed on the "card"). Also, I was missing a copy of last year's extension stamp. (I took the info on the card literally, where it says copy of "visa" is required). My bad, I should have known that they want a copy of the most recent "extension to stay" stamp, and not the original visa. Strangely enough, the volunteer insisted that the prior extension stamp is a "visa" and not an "extension of stay". OK, whatever - I wasn't about to argue the definition of a "visa" versus an "extension of stay". He stated that I was missing a KorRor 3 form from the Amphoe, however I knew this was wrong as the KorRor 3 does not apply to marriages (such as mine) that occur outside of Thailand. Only 2 "house" photos were required, so he selected one outside and one inside from our stack of photos for each set of paperwork, and stapled them to a piece of paper. So down to the copy center to get the required copies, and back to the volunteer to re-check the paperwork. The volunteer's queue was empty, so this was very quick.

Next, my paperwork was passed to the I/O sitting next to the volunteer for further checking. The I/O shuffled through all the documentation numerous times (at least 6-8 times) while another officer entered some info into a terminal to check Address Registration and 90 day report status. My wife and I had done my address registration over a year ago downstairs, and my most recent 90 day report was done online 2 weeks ago. There seemed to be some sort of problem popping up on the terminal screen, and after bringing in a couple of other officers, it was determined that an error had been made when entering the Address Registration over a year ago. Some updates were made, a serial number on my Address Registration receipt was corrected, and a new 90 day report receipt was stapled into my passport. Apparently, this error wasn't caught during last year's extension processing, or the past 4 or 5 90 day reports. While all of this was going on, the I/O continued to shuffle through my paperwork checking, and re-checking multiple times. During this time, they gave me a couple of new forms to complete and sign (permission for police check, and something else).

Next, waited until an I/O was available to begin processing my application. This turned out to to be the same I/O that did the initial checking (he moved from his seat next to the volunteer, to his desk). After a lengthy ritual of assembling pieces of paper to form a desk blotter and laying out all of his rubber stamps, inkpads and pens, he began to shuffle through the documents again. I was given a couple more new forms to complete, and my wife was also given a form (exclusively in Thai language) to complete and sign. At this point, the same I/O that had already inspected my paperwork at least 15 times, now determined that he didn't like the way that my wife's Tabien Baan, and my last entry stamp had been copied, so back down to the copy center for new copies. (The issue with the Tabien Baan was that the copy included the inside cover page. The orientation of the entry stamp copy was in "landscape" mode, and he wanted "portrait mode", if that makes sense. These were the same copies that were acceptable last year.)

With all paperwork acceptable, now, he collected the 1,900 baht application fee and told us to go to the waiting area until called. After 15 or 20 minutes, I was called to have a digital photo taken near the waiting area, then told to go to the waiting area again. After 15-20 minutes, the I/O called us back to his desk. There he gave me a receipt for the application fee, and I needed to complete and sign yet another form. Then told to go to the waiting area again.

After another 15 minutes or so, the I/O calls me to his desk and hands me my passport, and I see that the "under consideration" period lasts for almost 60 days (30 days after my current extension expires).

All in all, the whole process took over 2.5 hours, and the office was not busy at all. There was never more than a handful of people in the waiting area, and much of the time the I/Os were idle. Since the office wasn't busy I'm not sure what all of the wait time was about, but I suspect that it has to do with some other officer (maybe the boss) checking things every step of the way.

Here's a list of the documents that were required/provided (in duplicate). All are photocopies except one original and one copy as noted by (*):

-TM7 Application form w/photo

-Passport ID Page

-TM6 Departure Card

-Current extension stamp

-Most recent entry stamp

-Tabien Baan - all pages, excluding inside cover

-Wife's ID card

-KorRor 22* (newly obtained from the Amphoe)

-Foreign Marriage Certificate (in English) (I/O discarded the Thai translation and MFA certification copies)

-Income Verification Letter from Consulate*

-ID page from a Thai bank account

-Hand-drawn map to the house

-2 photos of myself and wife (one inside, and one outside of the house)

<snip>

About 10 people waiting on the 2nd floor terrace outside. There are now large signs posted in the 2nd floor windows noting which services are performed in each room (floor). Despite the fact that it clearly says that Retirement extensions are processed on the 1st floor

<snip>

For the avoidance of doubt facepalm.gif, Brits call the floor at ground level "the ground floor" and the first floor up from the ground level is the "first floor".

http://goo.gl/j7hd9A

So, as stated by the Phuket Immigration Volunteer Roslynn Andrade (who I thought was American, but must have some British blood in her):

"Phuket Immigration has built a new office on the ground floor to service Retirement, Dependent, and Guardianship visas. The room number is 103.

The 90-day reporting, Exit/Re-Entry stamps, Tourist/Visa on Arrival extensions, Certificate of Residence and Registering Residence are handled in room 101, on the first floor."

I hope that's not too confusing.

rolleyes.gif

Following are all of the details from my visit to Phuket Immigration earlier this month to obtain an extension of stay based upon marriage (2nd extension, using monthly income method).

If you're not interested in the blow-by-blow details, just skip to the end for a list of the documents that were ultimately required and accepted.

To prepare all of the documentation, I used the printed "card" that was provided last year, listing all required documentation for a marriage extension. No such "card" is available this year. All documents were provided in duplicate.

Doors were opened at 8:40am (10 minutes late). About 10 people waiting on the 2nd floor terrace outside. There are now large signs posted in the 2nd floor windows noting which services are performed in each room (floor). Despite the fact that it clearly says that Retirement extensions are processed on the 1st floor, about half of the people were in the wrong place, and sent downstairs when they reached the volunteer.

Volunteer reviewed paperwork, and noted a copy of the 1st page of a bank book should be used instead of a copy of an ATM card (as opposed to what's listed on the "card"). Also, I was missing a copy of last year's extension stamp. (I took the info on the card literally, where it says copy of "visa" is required). My bad, I should have known that they want a copy of the most recent "extension to stay" stamp, and not the original visa. Strangely enough, the volunteer insisted that the prior extension stamp is a "visa" and not an "extension of stay". OK, whatever - I wasn't about to argue the definition of a "visa" versus an "extension of stay". He stated that I was missing a KorRor 3 form from the Amphoe, however I knew this was wrong as the KorRor 3 does not apply to marriages (such as mine) that occur outside of Thailand. Only 2 "house" photos were required, so he selected one outside and one inside from our stack of photos for each set of paperwork, and stapled them to a piece of paper. So down to the copy center to get the required copies, and back to the volunteer to re-check the paperwork. The volunteer's queue was empty, so this was very quick.

Next, my paperwork was passed to the I/O sitting next to the volunteer for further checking. The I/O shuffled through all the documentation numerous times (at least 6-8 times) while another officer entered some info into a terminal to check Address Registration and 90 day report status. My wife and I had done my address registration over a year ago downstairs, and my most recent 90 day report was done online 2 weeks ago. There seemed to be some sort of problem popping up on the terminal screen, and after bringing in a couple of other officers, it was determined that an error had been made when entering the Address Registration over a year ago. Some updates were made, a serial number on my Address Registration receipt was corrected, and a new 90 day report receipt was stapled into my passport. Apparently, this error wasn't caught during last year's extension processing, or the past 4 or 5 90 day reports. While all of this was going on, the I/O continued to shuffle through my paperwork checking, and re-checking multiple times. During this time, they gave me a couple of new forms to complete and sign (permission for police check, and something else).

Next, waited until an I/O was available to begin processing my application. This turned out to to be the same I/O that did the initial checking (he moved from his seat next to the volunteer, to his desk). After a lengthy ritual of assembling pieces of paper to form a desk blotter and laying out all of his rubber stamps, inkpads and pens, he began to shuffle through the documents again. I was given a couple more new forms to complete, and my wife was also given a form (exclusively in Thai language) to complete and sign. At this point, the same I/O that had already inspected my paperwork at least 15 times, now determined that he didn't like the way that my wife's Tabien Baan, and my last entry stamp had been copied, so back down to the copy center for new copies. (The issue with the Tabien Baan was that the copy included the inside cover page. The orientation of the entry stamp copy was in "landscape" mode, and he wanted "portrait mode", if that makes sense. These were the same copies that were acceptable last year.)

With all paperwork acceptable, now, he collected the 1,900 baht application fee and told us to go to the waiting area until called. After 15 or 20 minutes, I was called to have a digital photo taken near the waiting area, then told to go to the waiting area again. After 15-20 minutes, the I/O called us back to his desk. There he gave me a receipt for the application fee, and I needed to complete and sign yet another form. Then told to go to the waiting area again.

After another 15 minutes or so, the I/O calls me to his desk and hands me my passport, and I see that the "under consideration" period lasts for almost 60 days (30 days after my current extension expires).

All in all, the whole process took over 2.5 hours, and the office was not busy at all. There was never more than a handful of people in the waiting area, and much of the time the I/Os were idle. Since the office wasn't busy I'm not sure what all of the wait time was about, but I suspect that it has to do with some other officer (maybe the boss) checking things every step of the way.

Here's a list of the documents that were required/provided (in duplicate). All are photocopies except one original and one copy as noted by (*):

-TM7 Application form w/photo

-Passport ID Page

-TM6 Departure Card

-Current extension stamp

-Most recent entry stamp

-Tabien Baan - all pages, excluding inside cover

-Wife's ID card

-KorRor 22* (newly obtained from the Amphoe)

-Foreign Marriage Certificate (in English) (I/O discarded the Thai translation and MFA certification copies)

-Income Verification Letter from Consulate*

-ID page from a Thai bank account

-Hand-drawn map to the house

-2 photos of myself and wife (one inside, and one outside of the house)

How recent was your income verification letter?

Did you obtain that from the US Embassy in Bangkok?

How recent was your income verification letter?

Did you obtain that from the US Embassy in Bangkok?

My income verification letter was obtained from the US Consulate outreach visit in Phuket about one month ago.

According to info that Phuket Immigration provided last year, the income verification letter must be less than 6 months old (180 days).

Retirement extension day today. Popped along for the 1pm opening, went to the volunteers to be told just go to room 103 on the ground (1st) floor.

Walked in sat straight down at 1.10pm. The grumpy git was there all smiles this time. All done by 1.30pm and asked to come back tomorrow to pick up the passport.

He even said sorry it is not his fault but the boss has to rubber stamp everything.

1st time ever in 10 years it was a pleasure to go to Immigration !

• 2 weeks later...

I had my retirement extension transferred into a new passport today. I was told by a volunteer that I needed to have it done on the upper floor. I gave the volunteer there my papers, all of which were in order (thanks chercheur888). She passed my papers to the Immigration Officer (IO) next to her, and asked me to take a seat. He checked my papers as well and I waited. After about 20 minutes the volunteer told me they (this is from the top dog) will not transfer the extention because I need a new one in June, they don’t want to do the work twice, and that I should just travel on two passports. Okay, I’m fine with that. I head to the ground floor for a reentry permit. The volunteer checks my papers, gives me a number and I wait. The IO tells me I need to have my extension transferred before he can issue a reentry permit. I tell him I just tried that and was refused. He asked me to take my stuff to the very small office at the back of the building. I do that and they stamp my new passport with an extension, copying the dates from old. Back to the reentry IO guy and BAM I’m done.

Not sure what happened with the upper floor thing. Maybe some miscomminication. Everything seems to be in order. I have my extension, reentry permit, last two entry stamps, and Departure Card in the new passport.

The whole deal took 2 hours. Everyone was very nice. I’ll be traveling with both old and new passports just in case???

Kudos to the IO that issued my reentry permit. Super nice guy.

I had my retirement extension transferred into a new passport today. I was told by a volunteer that I needed to have it done on the upper floor. I gave the volunteer there my papers, all of which were in order (thanks chercheur888). She passed my papers to the Immigration Officer (IO) next to her, and asked me to take a seat. He checked my papers as well and I waited. After about 20 minutes the volunteer told me they (this is from the top dog) will not transfer the extention because I need a new one in June, they don’t want to do the work twice, and that I should just travel on two passports. Okay, I’m fine with that. I head to the ground floor for a reentry permit. The volunteer checks my papers, gives me a number and I wait. The IO tells me I need to have my extension transferred before he can issue a reentry permit. I tell him I just tried that and was refused. He asked me to take my stuff to the very small office at the back of the building. I do that and they stamp my new passport with an extension, copying the dates from old. Back to the reentry IO guy and BAM I’m done.

Not sure what happened with the upper floor thing. Maybe some miscomminication. Everything seems to be in order. I have my extension, reentry permit, last two entry stamps, and Departure Card in the new passport.

The whole deal took 2 hours. Everyone was very nice. I’ll be traveling with both old and new passports just in case???

The old passport was valid until June 2016 for me as well, means that the extensions is valid until the expire date of the passport, June 2016.

Nobody said that I should wait for the new extension instead of having it transferred into the new passport.

As previously said, everything depends on the IO or the mood on that day of an IO

The old passport was valid until June 2016 for me as well, means that the extensions is valid until the expire date of the passport, June 2016.

Nobody said that I should wait for the new extension instead of having it transferred into the new passport.

As previously said, everything depends on the IO or the mood on that day of an IO

Yes, I agree 100%

Exactly correct - depends if the OI wants to cooperate or just can't be bothered and pushes you off for another day ....

• 4 weeks later...

No nightmares this week! Went for the yearly extension Friday afternoon - in and out in about 10 minutes. No customers - just me and the three Thai guys and a girl. The only problem was the room - #103 on the ground floor NW corner: very small with a huge air-conditioner. Must've been about 25 C in there! Freezing cold laugh.png.

Went back Monday to pick up the passport - another 2 minutes.

If only it was like that the rest of the year smile.png .

No nightmares this week! Went for the yearly extension Friday afternoon - in and out in about 10 minutes. No customers - just me and the three Thai guys and a girl. The only problem was the room - #103 on the ground floor NW corner: very small with a huge air-conditioner. Must've been about 25 C in there! Freezing cold laugh.png.

I posted about my visit yesterday on another thread. Although I sat outside for most of the process, I did stick my nose in at one stage.

I didn't mention the freezing temperature inside, I don't know how they work in there all day.

What I found interesting is that they seem to have done away with the assembly line process. Previously a farang volunteer checked to see if papers were all there, and correct, another guy took the money and a third then did the processing. A fourth later issued the permit and signed it off.

It seems that now, at least for retirement extensions which would mostly be correctly presented, you deal with only one Officer. A much more efficient method.

I posted about my visit yesterday on another thread. Although I sat outside for most of the process, I did stick my nose in at one stage.

I didn't mention the freezing temperature inside, I don't know how they work in there all day.

What I found interesting is that they seem to have done away with the assembly line process. Previously a farang volunteer checked to see if papers were all there, and correct, another guy took the money and a third then did the processing. A fourth later issued the permit and signed it off.

It seems that now, at least for retirement extensions which would mostly be correctly presented, you deal with only one Officer. A much more efficient method.

I think your last line sums it up perfectly: most people going for the yearly "retirement" extension know what to do, what papers to present and are easy to deal with.

Queuing up downstairs for the 90-day report, listening to the volunteers trying to explain to the clueless tourists what forms they have to fill in to get another week in paradise used to get my goat. rolleyes.gif

Bearing in mind the number of happy experiences lurking within this thread and what appears to be an improvement in service at P I I wonder if there is scope for a 'Happy Experiences at Phuket Immigration' Thread? Unfortunately I am so far down the Food Chain I am unable to open such a thread at present.

Pattaya, 90 day report, 10 minutes, retirement, just did my renewal, 10 minutes again, back next day to pick up passport, 3 minutes.

Good for you.

Although I'm not sure why you're sharing your Pattaya experiences on this Phuket forum topic.

If you're trying to make comparisons, you should be aware this topic was started more than 2 years ago when it was a nightmarish experience to get extensions here.

Things change, read about member's recent experiences for a better understanding.