How much is enough for the wife's monthly allowance?

zierf1

After living in Thailand for a few years now,and my marital status has been " single " with absolutely no interest in a relationship whatsoever.But still find it amazing that there are farang living here who seem to think it's normal to pay an amount of money every month to a lady just so they don't feel lonely.It is NOT normal in Thailand to " rent a lady " full time! I don't blame these Thai ladies at all for " demanding high rental prices " when it's the " stupid farang " that are just making this situation worse here in Thailand.I don't know anybody who lives here who pays there lady a wage every month! ( and i know a lot of people! ) Man and woman are supposed to be together because they actually like one another.There are so many Thai ladies out there who would love to meet a nice " booze free farang " who would just love to have a relationship.So apart from being " lonely " why do you pay a lady ridiculous amounts of money to share your home when you know very well that they have absolutely no interest in you whatsoever...? Why can't you find a normal lady with a job who will pay her own way and who actually might even like you ?

Farang Jaidee wub.png

Maybe because thei're old and can't go out and buy groceries or clean the house ? So instead of a maid they buy a wife ? Nothing wrong with that if it makes them happy and can afford it......... I would never sink that low but I'm not 80 yet.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

My wife gets 10,000-15,000/mo to care for my daughter and her two invalid parents, one of which is getting open heart surgery tomorrow.

It was never an agreement, just that one of my steady freelance accounts will only pay into the account of a Thai and I get enough income from my other work to keep the financial ship afloat.

I come from a very close family back in the West, but the communal aspect of family life here is much deeper than what I experienced growing up.

However, for it to be successful you need to be fully invested: "all in". I think as a farang (25 years here) I still get a lot more leeway, and I appreciate that.

My brothers-in-law have saved my ass on a few occasions and I would do anything for them.

That said, and to keep it all in context, my wife is a university grad who is much younger than me. If you're talking about hot young bar girls, that's completely different and those money flows just come down to supply and demand factors, I reckon.

That said, I don't have any problems with bar girls per se... but I wouldn't give one an 'allowance'.

• Like 1

I give 75,000 per month, I wanted her to give up work so I pay her instead.

She gave me a good deal, considering what she used to earn being the number one superstar in Baby GoGo, she has taken a cut in pay.

your are joking haha 75,000 a month no way some one can be that stupid

There is an Aussie bloke very bright guy owns newspapers who if my math and real estate estimates are correct paid his Chinese ex wife 647,000 baht per day. It sort of makes 75,000 seem like chump change.

I am still not convinced why anybody should " pay money to a lady to live with them " - it's just absolutely " nuts " ( or maybe it's just me....) I would hate to just wake up in the morning with a lady next to me who is only there because she is being paid to be there! It cannot be called a " relationship " it's a business deal and nothing more! ( and these situations will come with serious complications...) The Moderator above has mentioned paying his wife 10,000 - 15,000 baht a month ( kind respects to the Moderator who i would not want to " ruffle his feathers " ) but that's outrageous money for a third world country! It would be as ridiculous as myself having a headache and having to pay my wife money just so she would go to the Pharmacy to buy me some headache tablets.....

When a " Man and a Lady " love each other then money should NEVER enter into the equation ( not even in Thailand )

Kind respect to the " highest order " to all involved .

F.J wub.png

You remind me of a celibate priest giving married couples counseling. I think you should be a gentleman and back out of the discussion and admit you don't have a clue.

• Like 2

I give 75,000 per month, I wanted her to give up work so I pay her instead.

She gave me a good deal, considering what she used to earn being the number one superstar in Baby GoGo, she has taken a cut in pay.

Pathetic - what a loser. LOL

I have a friend who's Thai wife saved his life. It wasn't an easy save it took a couple of years of nursing and she spent all of her money taking care of him. Her recovered and got back on top and he provides for his wife and her family handsomely. Who knows what anything is worth to another man. When I was a young man women fought over me; not anymore. When the water rises fish eat the ants and when the water falls ants eat the fish (old Thai proverb).

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am still not convinced why anybody should " pay money to a lady to live with them " - it's just absolutely " nuts " ( or maybe it's just me....) I would hate to just wake up in the morning with a lady next to me who is only there because she is being paid to be there! It cannot be called a " relationship " it's a business deal and nothing more! ( and these situations will come with serious complications...) The Moderator above has mentioned paying his wife 10,000 - 15,000 baht a month ( kind respects to the Moderator who i would not want to " ruffle his feathers " ) but that's outrageous money for a third world country! It would be as ridiculous as myself having a headache and having to pay my wife money just so she would go to the Pharmacy to buy me some headache tablets.....

When a " Man and a Lady " love each other then money should NEVER enter into the equation ( not even in Thailand )

Kind respect to the " highest order " to all involved .

F.J alt=wub.png>

You remind me of a celibate priest giving married couples counseling. I think you should be a gentleman and back out of the discussion and admit you don't have a clue.

" Take a Bow " my friend! you have just made me laugh....( there are not many people on Thai Visa that can do that! )

F.J wai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OMG! Have you seen how much things cost in Thailand? The rent, the food, the beauty products, the night out with a friend, the transportation, the family needs, etc. 15,000 baht wont cut it, she needs at least 45,000baht to get by per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Gimme a break!

Rent: 6k in BKK will get a comfortable studio room with furniture, A/C, and hot water. Outside of BKK, you will get a house for that.

Food: 30 - 40 baht for a plate of food.

Beauty products: get a job! (or live a healthy lifestyle with good habits and forget buying unnecessary stuff)

Night out with a friend: 300 - 500 baht for a meal (for two) in a Thai restaurant, including a couple of drinks.

Transportation: 7 baht on the bus or (usually) less than 100 in a taxi.

The family needs: tell them to get jobs!

To address the OP's question:

I give my GF 3k a month to buy milk and diapers for our daughter (it's enough). I also buy food (mostly) and pay for nights out (mostly).

Our house is paid for already, so no rent. Before, in Bangkok, our room was 3k - 6k, and I paid that.

She has her own income and pays the electricity bill herself (cos she's a big girl, not a spoiled child)

Her family are hard working people who don't beg from anyone.....they aren't rich. We pay their health and life insurance though.

Before we had our daughter, i didn't give my GF any pocket money whatsoever. She had her own income (12k - 18k) and was happy.

This is a normal relationship between man and women in Thailand.

Anything else is the farang being treated differently from the Thai guy (from both the GF and her family).

Or you met a hi-society woman who has a standard of living to maintain. In that case, she has met the wrong person if you are not a millionaire.

Edited by Water Buffalo
  • Like 2

It's amazing to see all these " excuses " to try and justify why these farang have to Pay a Thai lady to live with them! I just wish i had met most of you " gullible farang " in the late 80's when i was selling " Double Glazing " for a well known Double Glazing Company.You would all be sitting in your new " conservatories " by now and i would be " cruising the country roads in my Damler Sovereign " ( with every conceivable extra......)

Just kidding viewers.......biggrin.png x

It's amazing to see all these " excuses " to try and justify why these farang have to Pay a Thai lady to live with them! I just wish i had met most of you " gullible farang " in the late 80's when i was selling " Double Glazing " for a well known Double Glazing Company.You would all be sitting in your new " conservatories " by now and i would be " cruising the country roads in my Damler Sovereign " ( with every conceivable extra......)

Just kidding viewers.......biggrin.png x

The only one making excuses is you. You don't have a partner and you are trying to tell us it is because you don't want one as opposed to what we all know it is really because you can't find one or afford one or however you want to phrase it.

Reminds me of the Thai Burma ice hockey team.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I've nothing to contribute here. My wife sends money to my pensioner mother in Australia thumbsup.gif

15K is enough for the OP. I think it's well known that when you marry a Thai woman, you marry her family too. Better to marry someone who had a job in the first place.

After living in Thailand for a few years now,and my marital status has been " single " with absolutely no interest in a relationship whatsoever.But still find it amazing that there are farang living here who seem to think it's normal to pay an amount of money every month to a lady just so they don't feel lonely.It is NOT normal in Thailand to " rent a lady " full time! I don't blame these Thai ladies at all for " demanding high rental prices " when it's the " stupid farang " that are just making this situation worse here in Thailand.I don't know anybody who lives here who pays there lady a wage every month! ( and i know a lot of people! ) Man and woman are supposed to be together because they actually like one another.There are so many Thai ladies out there who would love to meet a nice " booze free farang " who would just love to have a relationship.So apart from being " lonely " why do you pay a lady ridiculous amounts of money to share your home when you know very well that they have absolutely no interest in you whatsoever...? Why can't you find a normal lady with a job who will pay her own way and who actually might even like you ?

Farang Jaidee wub.png

Gotta disagree with you on this one CS,

My Thai neighbor, retired schoolteacher 65+, pays his Thai wife 56+, 10k a month to spend how she likes.

I know many other Thai guys who also 'employ' their wives.

How long is a piece of string?

Q. How much money can a barrel without buttom hold

A. Zero

Based on the minimum wage nowadays and income of the average Thai person , to break even is about 10.000 baht

BUT, a lady married to a Foreigner and has a kid or two she will need about 50.000 baht a month living in her own house

• Like 1

How long is a piece of string?

Q. How much money can a barrel without buttom hold

A. Zero

Based on the minimum wage nowadays and income of the average Thai person , to break even is about 10.000 baht

BUT, a lady married to a Foreigner and has a kid or two she will need about 50.000 baht a month living in her own house

Rubbish, that might be what she wants but definitely not what she would need.

I am still not convinced why anybody should " pay money to a lady to live with them " - it's just absolutely " nuts

F.J wub.png

To do so either makes them a prostitute, or an employee

Or my mother and grandmother both of whom never worked but got an allowance from dad and gramps.

• Like 1

I am still not convinced why anybody should " pay money to a lady to live with them " - it's just absolutely " nuts

F.J wub.png

Or my mother and grandmother both of whom never worked but got an allowance from dad and gramps.

Having lazy dependent relatives with no self respect is hardly something to boast about.

Edited by jacky54

F.J wub.png

Having lazy dependent relatives with no self respect is hardly something to boast about.

Neither is ignorance of history. In my mothers and grandmothers day, 80% of women did not work. In 2008, 66% of American women did not have to work.

Not everyone is from a poor family that needs its women to work rather than take care of the home and family responsibilities as is the case when one becomes better off financially.

My mother and grandmother had large estates to manage and our country homes which required domestic staff; cooks, butlers, maids, gardeners and so on.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104673.html

Edited by thailiketoo