Do insurance companies in Thailand preauthorize surgery?

connda

In the US, if you needed surgery, if would be common to have the hospital contact the insurance company PRIOR to the surgery and obtain a preauthorization from the insurance company indicating they have reviewed your records and will pay your claim, including a breakdown of what they will pay for and the insured amounts.

Do they do that here in Thailand?

I don't want any excitement like I had after spending two weeks in the hospital with Dengue only to get a bill and a letter saying that the insurance company was holding up payment until they 'investigated' my claim.

I don't want to worry that the insurance company is going to attempt to stick me with the bill after having surgery.

Edited by connda

You are asking about local insurance companies? If a foreign insurance is offered, and the Hospital will accept it, they would normally want to check with the insurance company before but have no knowledge of local insurance.

Health insurance companies who sell insurance here in Thailand. Example, BUPA, THI, NZI

Thai Health preauthorized eye surgery for me a couple of years ago. I didn't want any surprises and requested it from the Bumrungrad insurance clerk. They worked it out with no problems in a couple of hours. Seemed to be a normal procedure for all involved.

Edited by ricklev

BUPA pre-authorized me for elective surgery twice. In the first instance it was planned well in advance and I contacted them myself, got the go ahead by email within a week. In the second instance the surgery was decided on just a day in advance but the hospital took care of calling them and getting the OK.

The hospital is as concerned about this as you are and will usually be diligent in taking care of it. Go talk with the billing dept.