Ear candles or Ear coning in Pattaya

driftpig

I have never heard of an "ear candle" but would like to know what it is? I get my ear wax sucked out on Pattaya Klang for 400 baht though.

By a doctor? Which clinic using a machine? That's cheap for that.

Ear candling is not considered a good idea by actual doctors.

• Like 2

I have never heard of an "ear candle" but would like to know what it is? I get my ear wax sucked out on Pattaya Klang for 400 baht though.

I used to get my ear wax sucked out with a machine by the ENT at Memorial hospital. I can't remember the price but it wasn't all hat much. 400thb is certainly a fair price for this if it's being done by a doctor. I don't think I'd want someone other than a doctor doing this to me since they stick a vacuum into your ear and pretty much suck the wax off your eardrum. Would be very easy to cause serious damage if not done right.

As for ear candling.... I was treated to this back in the US by a friend who had the candles. Afterwards I felt no difference and the whole thing seemed fishy so I googled it and found lots of information that it does absolutely nothing positive and could have negative effects (like hot wax landing in there or on your face). About the only positive information you'll find out there is by those selling the candles or the service.

Lets just think about this for a moment... how would a wax candle suck the wax out of your ear?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_candling

edit: forgot to add.. I too would like the info for the doctor and clinic doing this for only 400thb. Thanks.

Edited by Jayman

Stories of sucking all the gunk out of my ears by the way of fire and candles sounded awesome so I bought some. ( a few years ago now in Australia)

Couldn't wait to get home and stick this baby in my ear and fire it up.

and .... it was crap, didnt do anything and looking back on that moment, lying on the sofa on my side with a burning candle jammed in my ear must have looked pretty silly.

No wonder it was on the shelf next to the healing crystals and fairy wings

a warm shower is usually enough to melt and clean any ear wax.

Not true, as anyone who has suffered with wax build-up will tell you. Running warm water in your ears can make the condition worse. Syringing for chronic cases is the only answer. Never tried vacuuming, but seems like it works. As far as ear candling, fergetaboudit!

• Like 2

I've been having my ears vacuumed out on a yearly basis at Memorial Hospital for about 8 years, I actually had it done about a month ago, the price is now around 1,600 baht, you have to go after 1pm as thats when the ear doctor is there.

There is an ear clinic on Pattaya Klang just before 3rd road on the left but it's opn 6-8pm Wednesday, Fridays and Saturdays, you can get it done there for about 400 baht, I would have had that the other week but I was in pain and decided just to bite the bullet and get it done that day.

• Like 2

I did the machine suck out once at BPH when I was stopped up. I try to avoid doing that but sometimes some people need to. The ear wax serves a purpose. For one thing, it discourages insects from going in there. I would suggest people NEVER allow barbers to stick things in their ears even though it is a common Thai practice going native to that extent is foolhardy!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I've been having my ears vacuumed out on a yearly basis at Memorial Hospital for about 8 years, I actually had it done about a month ago, the price is now around 1,600 baht, you have to go after 1pm as thats when the ear doctor is there.

There is an ear clinic on Pattaya Klang just before 3rd road on the left but it's opn 6-8pm Wednesday, Fridays and Saturdays, you can get it done there for about 400 baht, I would have had that the other week but I was in pain and decided just to bite the bullet and get it done that day.

Just before third road on the left if coming from 2nd road? (not coming from suk)

Years ago I made a ear candle treatment in Chinatown of koala lumpur!

With the result that I got strong pain pressure during flights take of and landing, I always have to close my ears coz got very sensitive!

So this was my first and last ear candle treatment !

• Like 1

My old family GP in the UK many years ago had a saying.

"Never stick anything smaller than a pick-axe handle in your ear"

Mine used to say elbow, but ill try the pick axe next time i cant get my elbow in there to clean things out

Yes by a doctor and yes with a machine and it is the one people are trying to explain on Pattaya Klang (I think maybe soi 10 but not sure) but coming from Sukhumvit it would be on your right hand side. There is a Family Mart on the corner (of soi) then the BEST Noodle (and mostly all food) I have ever had here and right beside that is the ENT.

pROBLEM IS THAT HE IS NEVER THERE. i MEAN YEAH FROM 6:00 TO 8:00 AS SAID BUT NORMALLY "WALK INS" HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL 7:00.

oops for the caps. For that reason I went to another clinis with doctor & machine on the East side of Sukhumvit between SSCC and Nernplabwan BUT he charged me 1000 baht and only did one ear (My vertigo ear) and that was it. Quite rude and I would NOT reccommend him.

• Like 2

You can buy ear candles cheap in farmacy do it by your self when you really need not nesarsary go to a doctor!

they don't work and the chances or hurting yourself or burning your house down trying to use an ear candle alone are much higher than going to get your ears cleaned properly by an ENT.

Yes by a doctor and yes with a machine and it is the one people are trying to explain on Pattaya Klang (I think maybe soi 10 but not sure) but coming from Sukhumvit it would be on your right hand side. There is a Family Mart on the corner (of soi) then the BEST Noodle (and mostly all food) I have ever had here and right beside that is the ENT.

pROBLEM IS THAT HE IS NEVER THERE. i MEAN YEAH FROM 6:00 TO 8:00 AS SAID BUT NORMALLY "WALK INS" HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL 7:00.

oops for the caps. For that reason I went to another clinis with doctor & machine on the East side of Sukhumvit between SSCC and Nernplabwan BUT he charged me 1000 baht and only did one ear (My vertigo ear) and that was it. Quite rude and I would NOT reccommend him.

if walkins are waiting till 7pm.. do they take appointments? Happen to have their number?

Thanks

It's probably too late to say don't do it.

You can always find a doctor to support some crazy theory.

In Korea there was one I thought was normal until he told me that "quantum healing" was an established scientific fact :(

ENTs at hospitals are really really good. Try them.

if walkins are waiting till 7pm.. do they take appointments? Happen to have their number?

Thanks

038 425 046

Ps: Location - http://goo.gl/maps/89fcM -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683034-cortisone-shots-deep-ear-cleaning/

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Stories of sucking all the gunk out of my ears by the way of fire and candles sounded awesome so I bought some. ( a few years ago now in Australia)

Couldn't wait to get home and stick this baby in my ear and fire it up.

and .... it was crap, didnt do anything and looking back on that moment, lying on the sofa on my side with a burning candle jammed in my ear must have looked pretty silly.

No wonder it was on the shelf next to the healing crystals and fairy wings

clap2.gifcheesy.gif This is awesome !!!!!!!!! and for being such a sucker beatdeadhorse.gif Have a drink on me drunk.gif

• Like 1