Swimming in a local reservoir-any health risks?

jack2964

I made a similar post over at 'Hobbies/activities' awhile back but got zero replies so I'll try here.

Anyway, I need some exercise and I used to do laps before moving here to Isaan. There is no public lap pool near me and "The Mall' in Korat is the closest but would need 200km + roundtrip.

However there is this reservoir very near me and I see kids and adults swim/play in it.

This is a fairly large reservoir stretching about 12km end to end but the widest part is barely 1km across. It is fed mainly by a stream off some low hills and during the dry season the flow is very low and slow. Water clarity is poor and some parts algae is very obvious. Apart from this, villagers leave herds of cows and water buffaloes over the far side of the reservoir which is accessible only by boat. The buffaloes of course love to wallow in the shallows and crap in it.

So would I catch some nasty micro-organism if I swim regularly in it?

Thanks for any advice.

Personally, I would. It is a large expanse of water (12km) so any pathogens would be very diluted and lots of UV. Depth would be a consideration to the surface area exposed to UV vs volume of water. My feeling if I was there would be if the water is deep, swim. But that's just me,

I used to swim in what I now realise was a heavily polluted canal in the UK. I didn't have any problems but I would definitely not let my kids swimming in this kind of gunk, taking a good shower immediately afterwards would be a good idea.

Maybe googling 'water borne diseases will help you make a decision.

• Like 1

Couldnt answer definatively, but I wouldnt, especially if animals are entering it too and doing there business etc. There is also the safety concern, how would you cope if you got hit by cramp ? Unless you got someone in a boat around you its a bit risky, you could get into trouble easily and who would know ?

My advice is always safety first, find a hotel or resort or something that has a pool.

Stay safe !

Thanks guys, it is obvious there is no clear cut yes/no answer to my query. I did google this topic prior to posting here and although the articles I found are specific to western countries, I think many of the pros and cons should apply here too. Ultimately, the decision would be mine and I appreciate your feedback.

Hate to be the fittest guy in the Tropical Diseases Ward.

I have no advice one way or the other. But here's a little more info...

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/rwi/index.html

If it were me, I'd take up rowing or paddling. I love being on the water. 12km long with no barge traffic is a great course for a rowing shell.

Thanks for that link.

Even swimming pools aren't all safe then. But all my previous years using swimming pools I've never ever caught anything.

As for rowing, I got myself an inflatable flat bottomed kayak and it is a pain to row. A slight breeze and it's nearly impossible to make headway. In the end I just gave up and plonked a Thai-styled long tail prop and motor in!

Hate to be the fittest guy in the Tropical Diseases Ward.

I have no advice one way or the other. But here's a little more info...

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/rwi/index.html

If it were me, I'd take up rowing or paddling. I love being on the water. 12km long with no barge traffic is a great course for a rowing shell.

Thanks for that link.

Even swimming pools aren't all safe then. But all my previous years using swimming pools I've never ever caught anything.

As for rowing, I got myself an inflatable flat bottomed kayak and it is a pain to row. A slight breeze and it's nearly impossible to make headway. In the end I just gave up and plonked a Thai-styled long tail prop and motor in!

The one that caught my attention was that amoeba that climbs up your nose and eats your brain...

I found the same frustration with an inflatable kayak. So it stays in the closet for the day I need a kayak that I can take on a train or a bus, and I use my FeelFree Atlantis for actually getting anywhere. Well worth the money, but I'd love to have the fiberglass expedition kayak I left in China. It was a dream to paddle, and didn't warp in the sun like the rotomolded FeelFree. And it cost half of what the FeelFree cost, because I bought it direct from the factory in China.

Edited by impulse

Couldnt answer definatively, but I wouldnt, especially if animals are entering it too and doing there business etc. There is also the safety concern, how would you cope if you got hit by cramp ? Unless you got someone in a boat around you its a bit risky, you could get into trouble easily and who would know ?

My advice is always safety first, find a hotel or resort or something that has a pool.

Stay safe !

For a good swimmer in not moving water a cramp is just an annoying inconvenience. You either massage or curse till it goes away.

But note the important point "good swimmer" and not moving water.

My 75 year old parents regularly swim alone (not together) at 15 degree Celsius water, often with relative high waves and are still alive.

• Like 1

taiwan-crocodile-attack-2009-2-28-21-34-

WT* is this?

its a crocodile ,in thai ' kae "

shitloads of them escaped from farms and zoos in the floods and nobody is sure if they are have all been caught or not .......

a 12km lake would be easily big enough for one to live in though

is that photo real or photoshop? Seeing that would have me swim a new world galactic record.......

taiwan-crocodile-attack-2009-2-28-21-34-

WT* is this?

shitloads of them escaped from farms and zoos in the floods and nobody is sure if they are have all been caught or not .......

is that photo real or photoshop? Seeing that would have me swim a new world galactic record.......

its actually from a real news story ,it happened in a zoo in taiwan but the guy lived .....

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=crocodile+attack+taiwan&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=fiT_UtDmPOfNiAeqroDADg

I saw some kids swimming in Khlong San Saeb and in the Chaopraya River. But some people say if you fall you die.

I also had a friend whose daughter fell into a khlong and had to be taken to emergencies as a bacteria went up her nose into her brain and started eating her brain out. It was meningitis a deadly condition.

My concern would be the pathogens that you are going to leave in the reservoir - those buffalo will end up drinking it!

And these beasts get so easily sick.....Than some poor farang need to transfer 100.000 Baht for the vet, again....

WT* is this?

its actually from a real news story ,it happened in a zoo in taiwan but the guy lived .....

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=crocodile+attack+taiwan&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=fiT_UtDmPOfNiAeqroDADg

just saw the video.....it ended worse for the croci...

And a total fail in his job to heal the crocodile.....

I definitely wouldn't let the water in my mouth....else I don't see much risk...Of course there is some risk, but there is also some risk crossing the street in Bangkok....

This.

If the locals can, so can you. Strengthen your immune system. . .

The indexmundi.com website, which gets its data from the CIA World Factbook has a section on water contact diseases in Thailand acquired through swimming or wading in freshwater lakes, streams, and rivers. Diseases mentioned include, inter alia, leptospirosis, and Schistosomiasis.
See here for more:
http://www.indexmundi.com/thailand/major_infectious_diseases.html

I definitely wouldn't let the water in my mouth....else I don't see much risk...Of course there is some risk, but there is also some risk crossing the street in Bangkok....

This.

If the locals can, so can you. Strengthen your immune system. . .

Given the high incidence of liver cancer and other long term diseases related to parasites in Thailand, not such a great benchmark for safety. Same thing goes for eating some of the food here.

Just 'cause it doesn't kill you right away doesn't mean it won't kill you eventually.

Edited by impulse

Trying to eliminate all the risks from life, might as well end it all right now AFAIC

Yes, contacting a disgusting tropical disease is all part of life's rich tapestry, go for it. While you're at it, have unprotected sex with a ladyboy in Pattaya, drive a motorcycle without protective clothing, don't get your kids vaccinated.