Why is everyone all of a sudden driving me home?

Nautilus05

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be just courtesy but the OPs concern that neighbours don't like him must have some basis in fact methinks.

Mind you it is very common practice around here if you see someone walking, to give them a lift, but that is when you already have your car or motosy out.

What are they asking you before, during and after your short trip in their car? They will be asking. They will not be revealing information about themselves.

Sorry, guess I should have clarified -- they drive me back on a motorbike, not in a car. These are just your typical family owned mom & pop shops, so I'm not sure if they own cars or not.

It's actually a bit of a weird area to live in. Inside the sub-divison / compound, everyone seems to act all pretencious and hi-so -- they're actually not, they just like to think they are. Well, I'm sure there's a few actual hi-so's around, but I'm assuming the majority make decent money, but are up to their eyeballs in debt, struggling to make the monthly payments. At least they look hi-so though, so I guess that's all that matters. :-) Exact same as the West.

Then you walk around the corner outside of the sub-division, and all of a sudden you're back in normal Thailand. Everyone is happy, smiling, chatting you up, and of course, the traditional asking whether or not you've eaten yet.

As for questions, no, they've never really asked me anything. Where I'm from, how often I go back home, and so on -- but no, not really. I have no idea.

Edited by Nautilus05

Well since you seem to be not-poor, presumably polite and decently dressed:

Are you single and haven't shown signs of "low morals"?

They may have nieces or other relatives entering marriageable ages. . .

Op, how long have you been in the area? Perhaps it is a passage of time thing where you have been accepted into the community?

When I first moved up to Phitsanulok, none, and I mean none of our neighbours would talk to me for about the first month of our being there, apart from the occasional good morning, nod or smile. No nastiness, but the feeling of being ignored. Strange. Then all of a sudden, it seemed to happen on the same day, everything changed and the same people couldn't seem to do enough for you. It seemed to me anyway, complete acceptance

I will always remember that day....................wink.png

• Like 1

They like you.

They don't want to see you have to exert yourself. They are being über polite. I know this goes against the grain of 99.99% of Thai visa posts, but they are just trying to be helpful.

It can get caustraphobic after while, but they sound like down to earth people just wanting to help the new foreigner fit in.

• Like 1

Yes I think you're not being told about a potential danger. Be vigilant and don't be alone when your out of the house. Without being too dramatic, be very careful that you are not being set up -- ie having yabba tabs or similar planted in your shopping to be retrieved later. It happens, more than you might think. To check this out discreetly ask about drug use/dealing in the area, and take notice of the replies. If its really starting to get to you, give the local BIB a small donation to keep an eye on your house. I'm not sure if you live alone, but if you do, many thais would think that's unusual.

Yes I think you're not being told about a potential danger. Be vigilant and don't be alone when your out of the house. Without being too dramatic, be very careful that you are not being set up -- ie having yabba tabs or similar planted in your shopping to be retrieved later. It happens, more than you might think. To check this out discreetly ask about drug use/dealing in the area, and take notice of the replies. If its really starting to get to you, give the local BIB a small donation to keep an eye on your house. I'm not sure if you live alone, but if you do, many thais would think that's unusual.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

• Like 2

tim armstrong, on 16 Feb 2014 - 17:06, said:

Every time I go into the local shop, I am more than aware of the shopkeeper slipping something into the bag. I've been extremely lucky so far that it has only been something that I have paid for. I don't use plastic bags anymore, nothing to do with environmental issues, it just makes it harder for those pesky shopkeepers/cashiers & helpers to slip something.

I got two full grown Siberians, not because I like dogs but for protection, well worth it. I tell people they lick that they are in fact tasting them.

As a matter of interest Tim, where abouts in Thailand do you live? It must be a joy to live in an area that you describe. Sorry, no sarcastic smiley for that post.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

They like you.

They don't want to see you have to exert yourself. They are being über polite. I know this goes against the grain of 99.99% of Thai visa posts, but they are just trying to be helpful.

It can get caustraphobic after while, but they sound like down to earth people just wanting to help the new foreigner fit in.

I don't think I've ever seen two more opposing view points in a thread before....clap2.gif

Another option: They're having a laugh !!! - The Thai sense of humour can sometimes be quite whacky ;-) ... thats somewhat of a stretch though.

Samran's post most likely hit the nail on the head. Many posters on TV.com seem to forget that people her in Thailand are inherently great and helpful people... Those posters that do recognise this tend to post less, its the controversial and negative posters who generally get the page count...

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

tim armstrong, on 16 Feb 2014 - 17:06, said:

I got two full grown Siberians, not because I like dogs but for protection, well worth it. I tell people they lick that they are in fact tasting them.

It's not very often that I literally LOL, but that is funny. I'm still chuckling as I type this. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Richard, I'm lucky to have lived for a long time in a country area of Thailand where I am part of a progressive rural community with few dramas But from time to time there are minor to serious events like anywhere else, but because most people know each other, these events are usually dealt with quickly. My comments to the OP were made on the assumption that he lives in a city - which are inherently more dangerous. But maybe his experience is just thai generosity. I also have great Thai friends with a whacky sense of humour and a generous nature.

Richard, I'm lucky to have lived for a long time in a country area of Thailand where I am part of a progressive rural community with few dramas But from time to time there are minor to serious events like anywhere else, but because most people know each other, these events are usually dealt with quickly. My comments to the OP were made on the assumption that he lives in a city - which are inherently more dangerous. But maybe his experience is just thai generosity. I also have great Thai friends with a whacky sense of humour and a generous nature.

Funny from the previous post sounded like you're a total nutjob but here you sound quite rational.

Just out of curiosity, in what way is your rural community "progressive"?

In my experience that term is used to reference political ideas that I don't see in much evidence here, except perhaps tolerance for polygamy and LGBT - but that more so in the city than the countryside.

Is that really difficult to believe that Thai people are nice, kind and consider? Not all are money grabbing, lie, cheat and steal you know.

heh, didn't mean that at all. It's just a little weird for us farangs, because back home, we don't go to 7/11, and have them spin us home on their motorbike. They don't do that sort of thing where we're from.

EDIT: I think you've been on ThaiVisa too long. Not all of us farangs sit around, and bitch about Thai people all day, you know. ;)

Edited by Nautilus05