The effectiveness of Antivirus software

Chicog

Good one !! Possible to post the Virustotal link or maybe post a screenshot to make it even clearer ?

Virustotal is www.virustotal.com

I'm not sure if the direct link will work but you can try it:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c6e617dcc864607f008f43cb4c3412b040b4f447178ee836f4ed04e436689930/analysis/

Thanks, I have a API key for Virustotal, but not a lot of virusscanners seem to take advantage and incorporate this into their program (Hitmanpro is one of the few) but maybe this is because of their terms wink.png

Link: https://www.virustotal.com/en/documentation/public-api/

But Ontopic here a screenshot of Chicog's scan, where you clearly can see that both AVG and AVAST don't (yet) detect this virus and only 12 out of 50 do sad.png

Edited by MJCM

I really like the Baidu set up---- I am a computer blond, but have had no problems with it, recently someone told me that it was hard to uninstall.....so I tried it & it was no problem, & no problem for me reads anyone can do it. I also like the computer check that they do to clear junk files. registry etc. I first ran it along side AV ,but it was finding & clearing stuff AV didn't pick up on, it kicks in & checks every time a USB external is inserted. Also run malware bytes. Good program.

• Like 1

'... you have to practice secure behaviour in everything you do.' Not easy when you can't remember how you got wherever you are, or who is lying next to you...

In this case the solution from post #4 should be able to give you good protection ;)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by MJCM

'... you have to practice secure behaviour in everything you do.' Not easy when you can't remember how you got wherever you are, or who is lying next to you...

You've already ignored my advice if you've got that far.

biggrin.png

This is amazing. I tried to contact you yesterday for advice as my computer had 'caught' the 'Awesomehp.com' virus. I am by protected Avast/Microsoft Essentials. I tried everything to no avail. When I ran Malwarebytes it supposedly picked up on 200 corrupted files/malware, all missed by the previous safety blankets.

The infection didn't appear anywhere yet it hi-jacked my internet access.

Eventually I uninstalled Chrome & started again & that seems to have fixed it.

Installing and even using AV software %100 correctly never make you %100 safe. And it’s not a big deal because viruses are not the only cyber threat.

This will be a big technical article to address the whole issues behind cyber threats but I’m gonna make it just in a few words: don’t mix up viruses with malwares and specially any social engineering methods. Even the state-of-the-art antivirus software or professional “security suites” cannot detect all malicious behaviors of malicious software, and finally there could be even no software engaging a threat, just a social engineering method to extract whatever you think from your PC!

As a practical answer, the only thing which normal end users should consider regarding using an AV is just your system performance and I’d never recommend a huge security suite for protecting you; just use a light AV engine and don’t pay for complicated applications; there’s a simple rule of thumb in security industry: more complicated, more risk to security flaws :)

• Like 1

Anti virus software not as good as cracked up to be.Many new viruses coming out are missed by anti virus systems.It's A game of cat and mouse.The mice are winning.The anti virus companies are making money hand over fist and are only doing A so so job.

that's why in addition to antivirus, it is necessary to also have both a firewall and a behavioral shield.

Nowadays, the firewall's main use is to block suspicious outgoing connexions.

But making the right decisions about which actions or connexions to allow requires some skill.

• Like 1