True Cable wifi router options

Seismic

Next week I am having True install their promotion package 30Mb/3Mb:-

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/product-sook/entry/2525?ln=en

The girl in the True shop said the cable modem comes with a built in wifi router.

Is this thread discussion still relevant ?

Would I be better off continuing to use my D-Link Dir-615 wifi router or could I now use their inbuilt wifi router.

I don't expect posters to repeat what they have already said, I am just interested if the comments made 8 months ago are still relevant.

Will the True engineers connect my D-Link wifi router for me, or do I have to do it myself when they leave?

I am computer literate and can do most of this sort of configuring myself (often with some help from TV posters!), but I am busy next week and would rather they do the installation for me for now. So if necessary I would use their inbuilt wifi router instead of my wifi router for now if it makes the installation quicker and change to an external wifi router later on.

Do they still give out the password for their cable modem routers?

Thanks for your help

Edited by dsfbrit

The True tech will setup the cable modem up for you before leaving...that's the only way to ensure it's working properly proplery. Be sure you get the router User ID & password before the tech leaves so you can get into the router firmware setup for any changes you need to make later. What I've always done is change the password while the tech is still there and then confirm I can get back into the firmware before he leaves.

As a few have suggested... You would be better off spending your money on the best stand alone wifi router and just daisy chain it off your True router via one of the Ethernet port... No need to disable the True routers wifi just name your new router something different... You could also buy a length of Ethernet cable and place the second new router in a place in your home that is better or provides more wifi coverage...

Edited by sfokevin

Yea, I don't disable my True Wifi router as I use it for upstairs Wifi coverage in my two story concrete home and another access point router (an Asus) for downstairs coverage. The cable entering my house comes in upstairs so it feeds my True Wifi router which can provide coverage to pretty much the entire house but depending on how good or bad the Wifi circuits are in the devices your are using around the house (i.e., laptops, smartphones,etc) the Wifi signal can get a little weak sometimes. I even hooked a quality ASUS N-capable wifi router to the True router (they are setting next to each other) disabled the True router Wifi, and even the ASUS N-capable router didn't really help to provide a stronger signal throughout my house, first and second story, in all rooms, etc....OK coverage I guess but not as strong of a signal as I wanted. Everybody's residence will be different in terms of size, concrete walls/floors thickness the Wifi signal has to fight through, etc. Anyway, I finally just ran a LAN cable from upstairs to downstairs between the two routers, set the Asus router up in Access Point mode versus router mode to ensure the True router has control of overall routing functions, turned back on the True router Wifi, and now one router provides the primary coverage for upstairs and the other for downstairs....now I have a "strong" signal everywhere. Been working like a charm.

Edited by Pib

Muratremix, thanks for the suggestion. I will do that next week as it will be a simple way to set it up whilst the True engineers are here.

Sfokevin and Pib. Thanks for the good ideas. I have a 2 storey house and an area in the garden where my Thai wife and her friends like to sit and this would give coverage to that part of the garden as well. I can do that later in the year when I have more time available. I can get myself a new wifi router then as well.

Thanks again for the quick feedback.

dave

2 Storey house should cover wifi if you can place wifi device in middle of first floor.

You just need to find a less saturated wifi channel and set it to 20 mhz, not 20/40 mhz or 40mhz.

Also make sure it is wpa2, not wep as True tech. guys like to set up.

• 2 months later...

2 Storey house should cover wifi if you can place wifi device in middle of first floor.

You just need to find a less saturated wifi channel and set it to 20 mhz, not 20/40 mhz or 40mhz.

What's the issue/reason for wanting to see the wifi broadcast at 20 Mhz, as opposed to 20/40 or 40 Mhz only?

What's the issue/reason for wanting to see the wifi broadcast at 20 Mhz, as opposed to 20/40 or 40 Mhz only?

It could be a channel interference/overlap thing...or sometimes called "Adjacent" Channel Interference. When broadcasting at a 40Mhz channel bandwidth that bandwidth will cover/overlap 8 Wifi channels versus 4 channels for a 20Mhz channel bandwidth....this opens the door for twice the Adjacent Channel Interference which can cause reception/speed problems for some Wifi circuits. Actually, a person could be be off experiencing "Co-Channel Interference" (i.e., someone operating on the same channel) than Adjacent Channel Interference.

See this link for more info on Adjacent and Co-Channel Interference: Link

• 2 years later...

After calling True today, I learned from a service rep that it's possible to use your own router. As described elsewhere in this thread, you can run your own router in bridge mode off the one provided by True. But you can also buy a DOCSIS 3 compatible router, then make an appointment with True to set it up for you. Happy to report that aside from the wait time on the phone, I had a good experience today with the English-speaking customer rep. He was very helpful and polite and spoke English quite well. 

By way of background, I upgraded to a 50 Mbps package about six months ago. The router they gave me (a "Technicolor 7200" :saai:) has given a constant source of frustration with frequently lost connections and difficulty in reconnecting to the router afterward. The rep seemed to acknowledge this as a common problem and asked me to let True replace the router with a different brand. He suggested that if the new router still gives me grief, I can try buying my own. I'm happy to try that and possibly save a couple thousand baht in the process. We'll see how it goes.