Done with the village life.

longstebe

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me - The same as countless others, pay for land, house, have a 2 yr. old with my lady, work overseas. It's good she's surrounded by her family when I'm away. BUT, when I stop working in a few short years it's understood we're moving away to a beach setting. I didn't work hard all my life to settle in a village in Sakon. So why did I build the house. Who TF knows, more money than brains but no big deal. Originally I thought it would be bad ass to live there, but the more I'm there the more I know the truth about myself. Actually sakon has alot of things going on, not bad actually but I'd like for my baby to have a chance in an International school. I really think the ones who are happy in places like Sakon never lived in the country in their homeland and this seems like an adventure to them. I just don't see myself looking forward to having somtam every day as a form of recreation.

• Like 2

village life can drive you crazy,,done it for 4 years...endless problems with her family...4 where alcoholics..gamblers,,low life...

all thought sex could be shared out no matter whos partner it was...

back in pattaya ,,and happy...

Apologies in advance.

It's refreshing to hear about moving to Pattaya to ESCAPE sexual depravity.

Well, living in Pattaya is much different than living in isaan. I'm wondering how many low lives, gamblers, alcoholics,drug addicts in Pattaya are...

I think it's all about the ability at least trying to speak THEIR language. It's their country, after all. And we are guests.

No comment about sexual preferences people in Pattaya have. Or bought, short, or longtime. I'm pretty sure that most of us TVF members had been to places like Pattaya before we actually settled down somewhere else..

Usually near the wife's parents place But going back to the east coast seems to be a strange decision to me. Why wouldn't you find a place, let's say in Prachuap Khri Khan, right at the beach, for an affordable price?.

Why would you like to see all this bs and get ripped off by almost everybody there. Pattaya should be renamed into Ripoffaya. Fun city.

It's like taking morphine, instead of heron when being a junkie, but people think they're sober. It's always easier to blame others for something.

Would be great to know both sides, as too many foreigners really lose face here. I prefer Isaan people in this country and I've been at almost all places before.

But, well, my dog likes to eat bones, but I don't.- coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

i can speak thai and issan,,so not a problem,,,

i dont want parasites around me like issan...i like to choose who i drink with,,and it aint the family every day...

pay for nothing but want everything...

i could go on...issan no more for me

everyone who is sane nows the thai husband / brother and giks come to ponce off the girls who have a falang....

how falangs have been kicked out of there homes...thai man moves in..

thats issan....

It is nice to see a reasonable discussion on village life. I am in a pretty small village now (fewer than 50 houses I figure). I live in a shared house with the MIL, a SiL and her family. It is part of a family compound kinda thing with with 2 other houses (BiL family and an Aunt and her family. Lots of folks around all the time. Has its good and bad points. If I had my choice I would have a small house 2 or 3 km outside the village with a bit of land but then it would need more care and I wouldn't be able to "get away" as often. Having house and baby sitters readily available is nice. My family is pretty good, they are poor but don't look for handouts. If I had problems with them I think I would be gone within a year. As it is now I figure we will be here 2-5 years.

Now the village house is "home base" but down the road we will move away and it will become the place we stay when we visit. I am very glad that we didn't spend much money on the house, we made it comfortable for us but it won't win any beauty awards. Glad to see the OP managed to sell a village house but I would guess normally that is a difficult thing to do unless you sell at below cost.

Edited by Dakling
  • Like 2

Me - The same as countless others, pay for land, house, have a 2 yr. old with my lady, work overseas. It's good she's surrounded by her family when I'm away. BUT, when I stop working in a few short years it's understood we're moving away to a beach setting. I didn't work hard all my life to settle in a village in Sakon. So why did I build the house. Who TF knows, more money than brains but no big deal. Originally I thought it would be bad ass to live there, but the more I'm there the more I know the truth about myself. Actually sakon has alot of things going on, not bad actually but I'd like for my baby to have a chance in an International school. I really think the ones who are happy in places like Sakon never lived in the country in their homeland and this seems like an adventure to them. I just don't see myself looking forward to having somtam every day as a form of recreation.

I like this post. Its exactly the same thing I had going on in my head. Living near a beach is something I'd like to do in the future but for now I'm happy in Sakon. What does worry me is the price difference, our rent now is just short of 5000 baht per month for a 3 bedroom house. We looked into the wife getting a transfer with her job to either Phuket or Surat thani, obviously Phuket being way more expensive but very nice on the eye. I don't know enough about Surat but its something for the future I suppose.

Price of rent plays a huge part in our decision.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"insulting Isaan people means that you're insulting our wives, friends, children and inlaws"

I'm glad to see that other people on the forum feel this way.

A couple of weeks ago, the stickmanbangkok website printed a reader's story of the week, which, along with the usual clichés of "Isaan princesses" and "Nahkon Nowhere" had this to say about Isaan ladies "In an instant the sweet, façade of nicety will be replaced by a nastiness which emanates from deep in the jungles somewhere; a primal being not long down from the trees."

I emailed him and asked him if he realised just how offensive someone like myself, who has a Thai wife, children and grandchildren, found it to have them compared to monkeys simply on the basis of where they were born but he just didn't seem to get it.

Hmm, Stickmanbangkok inhabits that somewhat surreal Bangkok/Pattaya/Patong world of Bar Girls, Bar Fines, GoGo Bars, Booze and the various depths of depravity that goes along with that life. Expecting him to understand 'real' life let alone even comprehend why you might even be offended is like watching Fox News and expecting to see...News!

Never gonna happen

Fair enough. You did well living there that long. I just holiday in the village but find myself getting bored after 3 weeks. Then cause I'm bored I start drinking beer. Then cause I'm drinking beer, she gets annoyed

Anyway you get the picture.

I told my wife that when I hit 85 to take me to the village and not before I enjoy the rubber tree field and built an irrigation system, but can't find anybody to take care of it. 900 Km from Pattaya, might as well be on the moon.

I have spent most of my time in Thailand during the last 25 years or so. I know many who had moved to the village. There are a few who really like it I admit but the majority spend most of their time trying to convince themselves and others that they love living in the village which in the majority of case is not so. They start coming to the city more and more then in the end move back to town after a few months or years. For me I like a bit of Bkk, a bit of the larger Thai towns, and a very limited small amount of time in Nakorn Nowwhere the village so I have places in all three.

"insulting Isaan people means that you're insulting our wives, friends, children and inlaws"

A couple of weeks ago, the stickmanbangkok website printed a reader's story of the week, which, along with the usual clichés of "Isaan princesses" and "Nahkon Nowhere" had this to say about Isaan ladies "In an instant the sweet, façade of nicety will be replaced by a nastiness which emanates from deep in the jungles somewhere; a primal being not long down from the trees."

I emailed him and asked him if he realised just how offensive someone like myself, who has a Thai wife, children and grandchildren, found it to have them compared to monkeys simply on the basis of where they were born but he just didn't seem to get it.

Hmm, Stickmanbangkok inhabits that somewhat surreal Bangkok/Pattaya/Patong world of Bar Girls, Bar Fines, GoGo Bars, Booze and the various depths of depravity that goes along with that life. Expecting him to understand 'real' life let alone even comprehend why you might even be offended is like watching Fox News and expecting to see...News!

Never gonna happen

FOX is the only news in the US. Are u maybe a Chris Matthews fan??

@Hotrod - Lots of hard luck stories from people who met an Isaan girl, married her and then found out that they'd married into a family of lazy leaches.

Most of those guys no longer live in Isaan though, it's just the happy ones left (along with some who are in untested relationships). Most of the posters in the Isaan forum are happy here though, and insulting Isaan people means that you're insulting our wives, friends, children and inlaws, so you're unlikely to find much support for derogatory opinions in the Isaan forum section. If you'd like to commiserate with others who have hard luck stories, you might find more sympathetic ears in the Pattaya forum (Or post here but please don't make sweeping generalizations about all Isaan people).

For myself I live in an Amphur town, and have never lived in a village, although would be interested in doing so one day, as I think they'd be generally more social than living in a town/city (although the people might not necessarily be the type I want to socialize with lol). For visiting bars/restaurants etc it's easy enough to drive to a city/town anyway, but for that "popping over for a cup o tea" style village life might be fun (although it might be Lao Kaow instead lol).

But in saying that, I would need to work, or study, regardless of where I lived, and I think the OP will find that he's in the same boat (I'm a similar age to the OP). As you need a reason to get up in the morning, and something to give you purpose, kids might be enough I'm not sure, but working gives your life meaning.

I would suggest to the OP that he has a go at teaching, or alternatively (as it's not everyone's forte), get involved with the local temples, community events or clubs (e.g. A running club or regularly playing football with the Thai guys), and of course make sure you learn Thai or Isaan. These are the types of things which will greatly increase your quality of life in Isaan.

Also how big is a village.... How long is a piece of string :-p cities are usually provincial capitals, towns are Amphurs /district towns, Tumbons are usually a big village or small town and villages are Baans (I'm referencing the city/town/village which is named after the province/amphur/Tumbon. Although some Amphurs/Baans are big enough to be called cities/towns (e.g. Hat Yai is a district/Amphur in Songkla province).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You are a bit too sensitive...

And anyway people who could be offended just have to choose another family but ESAAN...

Oh sorry, I forgot that most of the people don't even choose heir life but are just victims...

• Like 1

Bankok had a few really great Molum places down near Tang Huea Seng (15 years ago), everybody singing, dancing and having a good time...Issan is so much better than the North for a happy time! In the North the people take themselves much too seriously! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

• Like 1

Never gonna happen

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.giffacepalm.gif Fox is the only "news" in the US! Oh! I see what you mean, PBS is obviously a communist front organization!

After overnighting in the hell that is called jomtein enroute home from my 3 weeks in koh chang, i love the quiet ,i went outside the other night about 3am for a ciggarette, not a car engine,no disco or night clubs thumping out duh,duh,duh bass,only some crickets chirping,we live on the edge of a medium sized village,maybe 1,500 to 2000,i could be wrong,but it's not so big,town with amphur 10k away,Petchabun city 98k away,perfect for me,yes it can get boring but so can anywhere,personally i prefer the rural area's over cities,how any one would choose to live in Pattaya beat's me,but hey everyone is different,i could never live there though,and Jomtien,well they should rename it Jomtienski.

• Like 2

You are a bit too sensitive...

And anyway people who could be offended just have to choose another family but ESAAN...

Oh sorry, I forgot that most of the people don't even choose heir life but are just victims...

Most people are often victims of circumstance. Taking on the part of actually being a victim is optional, though.

Myself, I lived in a village for three years. I found it a great opportunity to learn to speak the language. There were many reasons why we decided to leave; the gossip, narrow-mindedness etc. finally became too much. But I can't say I regret it, and we still visit at least monthly (usually more often too).

I've got the following advise to anyone considering moving to the rural parts of Thailand, especially small villages far away from any citiies; do some research. Consider purchasing land and building a house in another village than the village your wife is from. Being just a few kilometres away from all the gossip and the daily intrusions may make a huge difference.

Better yet, if you've got the patience and the opportunity; rent a place first, stay for half a year (or longer) to see if you like it or not. Don't put yourself in a situation it will be hard to get out of, it's better to wait until you can make an educated decision.

• Like 1

Never gonna happen

Sorry, I am not an American and do not know Chris Matthews (and like you completely off topic), but surely BlueSkyCowboy you say that tongue-in-cheek? What FOX feeds you is more like baracking (for whoever Rupert Murdoch is following, but certainly not for Barack) than news!!

Something to be said for living the "Village Life" though with family and friendly neighbors who are always willing to help at the first sign or slighest sign of a crisis! Also good if you have young kids as my Wife has a 6 year old! For NOW I like it, maybe down the road I will be posting the same as you! Hope not! Good Luck!

I used to live in my wife's village for a year, before we actually moved to Sisaket. Neither could I communicate with them, nor did they understand where I came from.

I was the first foreigner they'd seen in their village, then I had to pass all the being a man tests. Drank Lao Khao on daily bases with them, arm wrestling with the strongest guys who didn't believe why they'd lost,went to the rice fields in the morning around 6 am.

After all, a very good lesson for all involved. Nowadays we sometimes visit Ban Jai, and all of us are happy when back in town. Here's a Morlam dance show, which was shown in the middle of the local temple.

Just wondering how the monks' meditation went on this day. Didn't see them this evening.......seems that they had to wear horse blinders.

You won't see that in Pattaya in the same environment. I love Isaan people. Aeeh, their mentality.

P.S. Most f them are single.............................biggrin.png

You really love this ? After having attended couple of times i had enough of it. All the time drunken folks hanging around me and really annoying ! Really dont understand that they dont have anything better to do than those stupid dances with annoying music, for hours and hours... facepalm.gifblink.png