Russians involved in bike theft scam in Koh Samui

Boater

Bike hire outlets on Samui have been caught up in a scam that allows thieves to steal new motorbikes using old and outdated passports, an issue that has prompted a warning to bike hire shops in Phuket and Krabi.

Jurgen Weber, a Krabi restaurateur and the brother in law of the lady who owns the Samui bike hire shop speaking on her behalf said “two Russians turned up at the bike hire outlet and claimed to be renting the bike on behalf of a friend. The friend’s passport was produced as security for the Honda 150cc PCX when the bike was hired for two days from February the 2nd. However the bike was never returned.

”I went to our local immigration here in Krabi because I realised that the passport had already expired in 2013,” he said.

http://www.samuitimes.com/russians-involved-bike-theft-scam-koh-samui/

NOTE - I presume when you hand over your passport they dont check them ????

Sadly - not all tourists are honest people. Crime tourism is becoming very popular

Would the date of the passport expiring be in Roman or Cryllic script?

Anyway - interesting to see that Police Deputy Superintendent Akanit Danpitaksa was quoted as saying

'He went on to say that rental operators could photocopy renters’ passports, but were not permitted to hold them.'

I am a bit confused that the heading is quoted as being a scam on Samui - but all of the article is about Phuket/Krabi. Still, that does not detract from the fact that I am sure that it is happening here as well. Hence all hire cars/bikes supposedly having 'Samui' stickers for checking at the ferry.

I know of two car hire companies on Samui that have had cars stolen by renters in the past.

• Like 1

"Russians involved in bike theft scam in Koh Samui"

Just curious - I wonder which of the following fictitious headlines would have the least impact, and why:

"English involved in bike theft scam in Koh Samui"

"Burmese involved in bike theft scam in Koh Samui"

"Thais involved in bike theft scam in Koh Samui"

Yes put allot if stickers all over the bikes so it makes in harder and more difficult to remove or cover

There again they could map the whole bike in black or something

Also place sticker on hidden places inside the bike under the seat and under the plastic bit

Also make a note of your engine numbers in case cannot find your book

Remember once someone had a bike stolen and they left their iPhone under the seat

The person found his bike within a few hours through the gps

It is difficult though and always a risk as they could rent for up to 1 month while they are preparing the theft which is why it might be worth delivering the bikes to the renters address

Then of paranoid of if the person seem like an Un trustworthy character can ask the land lord when they are due to check out and maybe cut a deal with them that should they be checking out and have still not return motor bike to give the owner a call

Can tell then that there have been allot of thefts on the island

This should make the land lord aware of these people are they are renting off them

Or if you really worried take a copy and a cash deposit of 15 k

If they don't want to pay then on the plus side at least you have some money back

If you retrieve the bike you can get that back also

If have a credit cars machine that would be the best way to make a deposit

Sadly - not all tourists are honest people. Crime tourism is becoming very popular

Would the date of the passport expiring be in Roman or Cryllic script?

Anyway - interesting to see that Police Deputy Superintendent Akanit Danpitaksa was quoted as saying

'He went on to say that rental operators could photocopy renters’ passports, but were not permitted to hold them.'

I am a bit confused that the heading is quoted as being a scam on Samui - but all of the article is about Phuket/Krabi. Still, that does not detract from the fact that I am sure that it is happening here as well. Hence all hire cars/bikes supposedly having 'Samui' stickers for checking at the ferry.

I know of two car hire companies on Samui that have had cars stolen by renters in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

the owner of the bike deserves a darwin award for his stupidity...

Yes let's take all the blame away from the thief and blame the victim

So theft is right and being stupid is wrong ????

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2