Stray Dogs.

luckyluck

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me any information on stray dogs in Village, these are not dogs that have been kicked out from owners.

We live in a small village and have a few stray dogs which are a nusience, they run after cars, bikes, pickups, they more often than not are in a group which one I think is the leader, the do nothing but bark all night and have an aggressive bark, one dog seems to of been pushed out of the pack, as I know it use to be with the other dogs and they bully it and it is unwell, the village is not a village the wants stray dogs, but it seems no one knows what to do to get rid of the dogs.

I think they have come in from the temple down the road, at one time I had 6 come out of nowhere when I went to the bin at night, this is some time back, if you want to jog/walk around the village you end up with at least 4 dogs barking and growling at you.

Or in time, more dogs come in so the pack will be bigger and worse with how they seem intimidating.

Another concern is children play out, it only needs a dog to chase a child and the child runs acoss a road in the village when a car comes across..

Soi dog do not have any room for any more dogs.. then all then can do is sterilised dogs, give medication and bring them back..

Is there anywhere in Phuket that takes stray dogs or what can we do with this situation.

I know if one lot of dogs are removed, more will prob come, so is a worrying problem.. the village is about 8 years old and the dog problem started about July last year.. no problems before hand.

Thank you

I strongly advise that you as a foreigner do not undertake any eradication attempts yourself. People will find out and not exactly applaud. Do you have a Thai wife? She could draft a letter requesting the local authorities (OrBorTor/อ.บ.ต.) to do something about it, then go around collecting signatures, present the letter, and maybe they will indeed do something.

Buddhism prohibits the killing of animals if you are not planning on eating them. But in tourist areas, if business owners suspect stray dogs may cause customers to stay away, they will lay out like poisoned tuna steak. Money is often stronger than religion.

• Like 2

lovely to see most here have the heart in the right place......not !

Its beyond compassion at times. Dogs with disease, hungry and hobbling on broken legs is horrible but so is the spread of disease if you get attacked.

Soi Dog is overstretched, they can't be expected to pick up the slack.

• Like 2

I have been in contact with Soi dog, but other than giving the dog medication, and then bringing it back, there is nothing they can do, so the dog will get better, returned then will end up starving again, to me that is so cruel. I am not here full time so I cannot take it in.

It is a Thai village I am just asking around to see if there was anything that can be done, I would not attempt to do anything.

I think, if they could get rid of the ring leader, things might be quietened down, as when these dogs walk up and down, they start off the dogs that are kept in by the people that have dogs and they go ballistic.

I have been in contact with Soi dog, but other than giving the dog medication, and then bringing it back, there is nothing they can do, so the dog will get better, returned then will end up starving again, to me that is so cruel. I am not here full time so I cannot take it in.

It is a Thai village I am just asking around to see if there was anything that can be done, I would not attempt to do anything.

I think, if they could get rid of the ring leader, things might be quietened down, as when these dogs walk up and down, they start off the dogs that are kept in by the people that have dogs and they go ballistic.

Why or what are you so concerned about, in regards to taking action?

Take away the leader, and do what with exactly, another will emerge!

Main thing, the dog is being picked on by others, the other dogs are acting like a pack mentality, it also is very weak and stays in a bush all day, all night, if it comes out the other dogs charge at it.. it was sick and brought up stones and what looked like mud.. I was hoping the Soi Dog would take him and find him a home.. I am not here all year so cannot look after him..

My main concern with the other dogs is the pack mentality, ihave lived in other village, and there were many dogs but none like we seem to have here.. sooner or later they will attack a bike and if the person is not aware like the people that live here, they could end up having an accident, the other worry is, how many more dogs will come into the village, and the village is very small..

Main thing, the dog is being picked on by others, the other dogs are acting like a pack mentality, it also is very weak and stays in a bush all day, all night, if it comes out the other dogs charge at it.. it was sick and brought up stones and what looked like mud.. I was hoping the Soi Dog would take him and find him a home.. I am not here all year so cannot look after him.. My main concern with the other dogs is the pack mentality, ihave lived in other village, and there were many dogs but none like we seem to have here.. sooner or later they will attack a bike and if the person is not aware like the people that live here, they could end up having an accident, the other worry is, how many more dogs will come into the village, and the village is very small..

You are assigning human emotions to wild animals..... being picked on???

I am an animal lover, dogs in particular, but when you see suffering & pain then to euthanise is the most benevolent gesture.... furthermore, as you have mentioned, kids play in this village & when its too late, then its too late

• Like 1

OP: It you will not take action yourself run with the suggestion in post #4. Why are the dogs entering the area, are people leaving rubbish outside of their homes? I live in a development and no stay dogs as nothing is left on the ground or plastic bags with food scraps. In the past some inconsiderate Thai and Westerners let their dogs roam unattended, crapping in the street, one person was bitten etc. When they did not take any notice of requests to clean up or use a leash some dogs were 'taken care of' by pissed off Thais; that stopped the behaviour.

• Like 1

Simple1..

We use to have security guard, and now only have CCTV, in the past we had no problem with dogs. There is no rubbish around, it is a very clean village, owners dogs are not allowed to just walk around the village, and if the go to the toilet they have to clean up their mess...

Simple1..

We use to have security guard, and now only have CCTV, in the past we had no problem with dogs. There is no rubbish around, it is a very clean village, owners dogs are not allowed to just walk around the village, and if the go to the toilet they have to clean up their mess...

Get your wife to talk to a local tuk tuk/taxi guy....pay him 500 & you can get rid of them OR find a muslim in your village.....

Simple1..

Ok, so it seems you have the solution to the problem

Simple1..

Get your wife to talk to a local tuk tuk/taxi guy....pay him 500 & you can get rid of them OR find a muslim in your village.....

Can assure you not just Muslims who will get rid of dogs

• Like 1

She has been picked up now, soi dog were very caring and they also saw how aggressive the other dogs were and even with myself there and three people from soi dog, the other dogs were still trying to get closer and closer.. no fear of humans..

• Like 1

She has been picked up now, soi dog were very caring and they also saw how aggressive the other dogs were and even with myself there and three people from soi dog, the other dogs were still trying to get closer and closer.. no fear of humans..

That's nice. A few good meals won't help. With a slim chance of adoption means it will soon be euthanized like the rest of the unlucky souls not to be adopted out of soi dogs.

Please contact the Soi Dog Foundation. If they can't take the dogs from your village, they will find someone who can help.

And they in turn will just euthanized the animal with poison.

I was not referring to someone poisoning the dogs, so don't put words in my mouth. Soi Dog has been very helpful in the past with getting me in contact with people who have rubber tree plantations, etc and are looking for watch dogs.

• Like 1

and what was their sage advice for this pack of aggresive animals???

Chok dee perhaps....?

Please contact the Soi Dog Foundation. If they can't take the dogs from your village, they will find someone who can help.

And they in turn will just euthanized the animal with poison.

I was not referring to someone poisoning the dogs, so don't put words in my mouth. Soi Dog has been very helpful in the past with getting me in contact with people who have rubber tree plantations, etc and are looking for watch dogs.

Ease up. I was referring to the euthanized animals not adopted being poisoned by lethal injection.

Poisoning is quick and a burden on nobody, expect maybe the land owners that get the corpse dumped on.

What's the difference if I poison a dog and soi dog euthanizing it? Maybe the speed of death but nothing more.

• Like 1

That's nice. A few good meals won't help. With a slim chance of adoption means it will soon be euthanized like the rest of the unlucky souls not to be adopted out of soi dogs.

They are not going to put her down, but whatever, the life she had here with the horrid bullying, pack or dogs, she could not even come out of the bushes as they would charge as soon as they saw her.. they have been down a few times to see if she is back, thank goodness she was taken

and what was their sage advice for this pack of aggresive animals???

Chok dee perhaps....?

nothing, but they know she cannot come here because of what they saw.. which in my opinion has to be a bonus.. her life would of been hell..