Canadian tourist plunges to death at Suvarnabhumi airport

webfact

Just waiting to hear all the accusations that his Thai gf drained his bank ac, stole everything from him and kicked him out of the new house he bought her coffee1.gif

May be ! Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is going on with spate of suicides of late? I know clinical depression is a killer though it seems to be on a daily basis. So sad for the codger and his family. If you're feeling down anybody, let someone know. In fact all your friends or even on TV. Their is a severe lack of help in Thailand for the I'll. Please reach out you will be surprised how many out here care.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As bad as it seems here to some.

What's waiting back home for a 64 year old guy? Bingo?

That is a pretty pathetic post and also insulting to blokes that fit this age bracket.

• Like 1

What is going on with spate of suicides of late? I know clinical depression is a killer though it seems to be on a daily basis. So sad for the codger and his family. If you're feeling down anybody, let someone know. In fact all your friends or even on TV. Their is a severe lack of help in Thailand for the I'll. Please reach out you will be surprised how many out here care.

Clearly you don't care or you would not have referred to the deceased as a 'codger'!
read the post in context. And Codger in Australian vernacular has a totally different meaning to what ever it is that you may be inferring. Gee you really have not thought this post through. Should someone translate the context and feeling that I was clearly trying to convey? It seems that some synapses are NOT firing in the grey matter between the ears today, very sad for you indeed. Poor old codger is used as a term of endearment from where I'm from... Have a think about your next post yeah.

Just waiting to hear all the accusations that his Thai gf drained his bank ac, stole everything from him and kicked him out of the new house he bought her coffee1.gif

Might even be true. Who knows and does it matter?

^ Codger: Inappropriate here, even for an Oz. Patronising to say the least. Derives from 'coffin dodger'.

Edited by laobali

I think it must be tiny minority of suicides that are committed as a rational response to external circumstances. The only way to view this sort of thing is as a mental illness. Sometimes our livers or hearts go wrong and we die from it. Sometimes, as in this case, something goes wrong inside a man's brain that causes him to make the really astonishingly poor decision to end his own life. He died because, for whatever reason, his illness was not treated...

Edited by cocopops

Many have speculated on the fact that he had all his baggage neatly packed and his golf clubs, all bagged up and ready to go.

Not unusual, really. People in the midst of great depression frequently fall back on ingrained routines to keep themselves going. People who have been neat and fastidious for all their lives will carry that on. It is not uncommon for such people to clean their rooms, make the bed and wear fresh, clean clothing before killing themselves.

Often, it is when the routines are finished...when all the tasks are done that they must face what they are planning to do.

Possibly, this poor man kept going, step by step, hoping he could somehow find a way out of whatever was tormenting him but faced with the impersonal finality of the airport, had no further refuge.

R.I.P old chap. I would wanna take a higher dive if it were me, wouldn't wanna leave it to chance from 4 floors.

4 floors at the airport are probably equal to at least double that of your average building maybe even treble - they are very tall floors

RIP

Yes, but he has a good point. Rarely people survive from such jumps and that's not an experience or later quality of life anyone would want.

I don't know about you but I have family,( Children, grand kids and 5 great grand kids) a home back in Canada plus enjoy fishing, skiing, camping, skidooing 4wheeling etc. Last year when I was a little bored, I undertook a trip up into the NWT and Whitehorse etc. 3 years earlier, I took a drive to the East Coast, Canada along with the USA has much to offer, all you have to do is go out and enjoy it. There are so many thing to do and enjoy I'm over 64 and and still looking for new places to visit and things to see. My bucket list still has a few items in it and hopefully will never empty. There is still Africa and South America to visit and explore.So don't let a number like (64) stop you. Enjoy life, it's yours.

Have you never feel like useless? That your view are outdated? That nobody cares about you?

Tragic, under any circumstances. Taking ones own life is never worth it - the situation can always be worked out and improved, even if desperate at first. RIP.

I'm afraid you are talking from a point of ignorance - ie you do not understand depression.

There are thousands, perhaps millions of people living happy lives after being pulled from the depths of depression. It can often be improved through medical and psychological intervention. But when it's on you- it can be impossible to see the other side of it.

I suspect- and hope that one day they'll be able to test and treat for exactly what brain chemical(s) is out of balance to create severe depression.

Condolences to the guy's family. Given that depression runs in families, I hope this tragedy will give any of them the "permission" and incentive they need to seek help themselves. It's not about morals, courage, bank books, or intelligence- it's about the delicate balance of the chemicals that drive all activity in our brains.

Edited by impulse

I don't know about you but I have family,( Children, grand kids and 5 great grand kids) a home back in Canada plus enjoy fishing, skiing, camping, skidooing 4wheeling etc. Last year when I was a little bored, I undertook a trip up into the NWT and Whitehorse etc. 3 years earlier, I took a drive to the East Coast, Canada along with the USA has much to offer, all you have to do is go out and enjoy it. There are so many thing to do and enjoy I'm over 64 and and still looking for new places to visit and things to see. My bucket list still has a few items in it and hopefully will never empty. There is still Africa and South America to visit and explore.So don't let a number like (64) stop you. Enjoy life, it's yours.

Have you never feel like useless? That your view are outdated? That nobody cares about you?

Yes, but that's the time to move on to a new life, not cop out. There is still greener grass out there - somewhere. Unless you're absolutely destitute (which he doesn't seem to have been, but again, who knows?). His choice as I see it.

• Like 1

Perhaps a study of these victims would shed some light on as to why they choose this path. Thailand can be harsh on a man who just retired. Some may have sold off everything to come here, only to find it was not for them. Financial problems, loss of self esteem, alcoholism, unrecipricated love...(very heavily on the unreciptricated part). A journey gone wrong....wild expectations of love and happiness.... perhaps a death in the family, or just guilt. I was full of guilt for 15 years after divorcing my wife in the USA and running wild. Did nothing but hit bottom....fortunately, the bottom was full of people who had a safety net. When the urge strikes you....go to a safe place and call somebody. A good night's sleep and a friendly voice can be just enough to make it to the next day. Your perspective may be much better in the morning.

• Like 2

Perhaps a study of these victims would shed some light on as to why they choose this path. Thailand can be harsh on a man who just retired. Some may have sold off everything to come here, only to find it was not for them. Financial problems, loss of self esteem, alcoholism, unrecipricated love...(very heavily on the unreciptricated part). A journey gone wrong....wild expectations of love and happiness.... perhaps a death in the family, or just guilt. I was full of guilt for 15 years after divorcing my wife in the USA and running wild. Did nothing but hit bottom....fortunately, the bottom was full of people who had a safety net. When the urge strikes you....go to a safe place and call somebody. A good night's sleep and a friendly voice can be just enough to make it to the next day. Your perspective may be much better in the morning.

Realistic

He climbed over the fence and jumped to the ground floor.

Police have theorised he intended to kill himself.

Sherlock Holmes is alive and well.

If he was from my family, the first thing I would ask for is the cctv footage. Has to be one considering

it was at the airport.

• Like 1

I was wondering, why would a guy who want to kill himself pack his stuff and go to the airport to do it? R.I.P

He may not have planned it well in advance or at all. Undoubtedly depressed, but he could have been resigned to returning to Canada and then, while in the taxi or after entering the airport he felt overwhelming despair.

Some people make numerous half-hearted attempts at suicide, some may make the decision on the spur of the moment although it may or may not have been at the back of their minds for a long while. No idea what the statistics are, but I imagine detailed, well-planned-out suicides are rarer than those that are spontaneous.

I recall back when I came two or three times a year for short stays of a few months I was usually sad at the prospect of leaving, but really felt it when it came to checking in at the airport. Never felt suicidal, but then I knew I'd be back before long and I was sort of glad to get back to work and a change of pace.

That is a nice set of golf clubs. One wonders why he packed all his stuff and went to the airport. Very sad and perplexing.[/quote

He might have wanted to leave himself an option: either head on home or end it right here in the LOS.

"They tell us that Suicide is the greatest piece of Cowardice... That Suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in this world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person." - Schopenhauer

Inappropriate comment. This says more about your understanding of what matters in life then this tragic occurrence. A 64 year old man has everything to live for but I won't go to the trouble of listing them here for you. I suggest you evaluate your understanding of what will make you happy when you are 64 aside from Bingo.

Very sad for the man and his family and I agree with Cricketnut, things are never as bad as they seem, talk to someone, anyone and everyone to get help when you feel this way.

RIP, my thoughts are with his family.

High on the list of persons likely to make an horrific comment like this would be your basic sociopath.

I can't be bothered enumerating his presentation triggers. It's enough to say that the these triggers are as numerous and varied as the vicious pr!cks presenting this personality disorder.

Normal societal filters usually keep this guys remarks in check.

He'll assume a guise of "the straight shootin', tell-ya'-straight" wise-crack artist.

In this case I'd venture the opinion that (if he lives here at all) our "no-bull" artist has a profound fear of the very fact upon he has chosen to enlighten us. . . . . . . The fact that we are ALL getting older. Our time here and in this life diminishes daily. For some, their choice to remain here was made in haste and without adequate provision.

A choice to live on an English teacher's pittance, a choice to cruise a little to long in an IT job without a decent skills upgrade, a marginal pension wiped by currency exchanges, the credit card spendthrift, early-retiring serial grooms, the club-hopping Uni-girl victimizer are among those whose glimpses of their very own personal hell triggers such remarks.

These are the wiseacres we get constantly cracking about coffin dodgers and old f@arts.

Most of them slip away to Broak-@$$-on-D'ole where they'll spend the rest of their days watching televised sports and regaling the locals with tales of the wonderful expat lives they for some reason had to let go.

Before they do, however, they squeeze off a few cheap shots at some unfortunate chap who may have taken his own life in an airport.

Tick-talk, Tick-Talk, TICK-TALK !

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Realistic

For some the Land of Smiles can become a World of Pain. Usually it is the honest,good-hearted,trusting person who struggles most to deal with false promise, shattered dreams and associated disillusionment.

Some are lucky and realise all their hopes, others become cynical, but tragically, some find it over-whelming and impossible to bear.

I'm Canadian. I'm 63.

If one day such a suicidal thought crosses my mind, I hope my faith will remind me to turn my blurred soul toward Jesus-Christ, asking for a way to courageously stay alive and alleviate some misery of this world, before signing out of natural death. There is always somebody in a worst condition than ourselves.

"Those who ask and receive the grace to help the distress and the destitute, those who turn their heart outward don't have time for suicidal thoughts." (Abbé Pierre, France)

Maybe he thought that he lived in vain, but he certainly not died in vain, if some of us can get a lesson out of the tragedy.

I feel and pray for the soul of this man: it could have happened to me...

R.I.P.

He climbed over the fence and jumped to the ground floor.

Police have theorised he intended to kill himself.

Sherlock Holmes is alive and well.

If he was from my family, the first thing I would ask for is the cctv footage. Has to be one considering

it was at the airport.

You'd think so....good point.

Apparently there's a Samaritan Thailand organisation with site http://www.samaritans-thailand.org/

I've never used their hotlines, but, interestingly, the phone service availability indicates that Thais do not contemplate thoughts of suicide in the mornings ......

(02) 713-6793 (THAI) 12 noon - 22:00 hrs, 7 days/week

(02) 713-6791 (ENGLISH) 24 hours/day, 7 days/week

I never knew about that which is a pity as many who need it may not either.

I volunteered with the Samaritans in the UK years ago and despite the sad stories it was rewarding. You do have to deal with many things that aren't what they seem and females in particular but not exclusively are prone to sex calls but even those may just be people with problems. Worth it none the less.

I don't know why he did it at the airport other than maybe he had problems here and thought he'd go home. When he got to the airport he decided there wasn't much for him when he got back. At that age a lot of friends may have died or moved on although it's odd that he seems not to have been here long but he may have come to try to sort things out and failed. sometimes what tips the balance isn't the whole story.

Very sad RIP

When the mono leaves the chita anything can happen, RIP

This is why meditation is so important in our daily lives "so the monkey mind doesn't throw you off a four story building."

As far as making sense of some one taking there luggage with them to commit suicide, well it kind of speaks for itself,

if this person was dist rot enough to commit suicide then rationality is obviously not a consideration here hence the baggage accompaniment

This is very sad. To those speculating about his family going through a tough time, maybe he had nobody who cared. I suspect there are a lot of people in LOS who have nobody who cares back home and when the shit hits the fan they have noone to turn to.

This is why meditation is so important in our daily lives "so the monkey mind doesn't throw you off a four story building."

As far as making sense of some one taking there luggage with them to commit suicide, well it kind of speaks for itself,

if this person was dist rot enough to commit suicide then rationality is obviously not a consideration here hence the baggage accompaniment

I would have thought that those near the edge of departing our world have done a lot of meditating about stuff.

This is why meditation is so important in our daily lives so the monkey mind doesn't throw you off a four story building.

As far as making sense of some taking there luggage with them to commit suicide, well it kind of speaks for itself,

That is a nice set of golf clubs. One wonders why he packed all his stuff and went to the airport. Very sad and perplexing.

I had the same thought: why would you change your flight, pack all your stuff, call a taxi, go to the airport and then jump off? It makes me wonder if he got dizzy, reached for the railing and then fell over it. It just doesn't make sense...

Something tells me there is a woman involved.