What Can We Do with Google Voice (Android) + Laptop, Now That We Are in Thailand?

Here is a topic that I am SURE everyone will be interested in:

1. I just canceled my Skype Number, which is a pay number offered by Skype that looks like any regular number in the US, or some other countries. I gave this number to my friends, or business contacts so that they could contact me from the US, no matter where I might be. And they could always dial the same number.

I was not satisfied with the Skype service, and so I canceled my number and registered a Google Voice number in the United States. I think Google Voice has the same offering in a few other countries, such as the UK.

2. Now that I have a Google Voice number, I just want to know what I can do with it that I might not have been able to do with my Skype number.

3. For example, how can I get my cell phone to answer and ring when someone in the US calls my Google Voice Number? Do I use some app that works with Google Chat? What are the options?

I would like to have my cell phone ring, as well as my laptop and tablet notify me when a call comes in, so that I can answer it if I have access to WiFi or G3 Internet service here in Thailand, through AIS 3G, or TRUE 3G.

4. ALSO, maybe some of you know some other COOL things you can do with Google Voice, a cell phone, or a Google Tablet? I am sure that readers here would like to read about it.

There are new apps being offered all the time on Google Play which offer new telephony choices. I demand only one thing, which is the clearest audio for voice communications, because we live in Thailand, and often are on the street walking around, and this means the noise level is high. In this case, we really need a very clear audio output with maybe 64Kbps audio to enhance our listening comprehension of what the other party is telling us.

5. I am really only interested here in ANDROID phones, because this is Google, after all. If you have an Iphone, then go ask Apple, or buy an opensource Android unit.

Hope we get some good replies, with some good suggestions about new software or new services to try, or new methodology for voice communications.

Thanks.

Normally there would be a dozen or so 3rd party apps for Android and iOS that worked with Google Voice and allowed the calls to be routed over an Internet connection for free. But Google recently said, "there are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice", and services to 3rd parties will be stopped by May 15, 2014. No word yet if Google will ever allow 3rd party apps similar access in the future.

OFFICIALLY:

Google's Hangouts is now providing SMS send/receive, and making voice calls. See: Use Hangouts for a Voice call

Voice and SMS are also available through the Chrome browser and gMail: Google Talk (gtalk), oh and calls can be forwarded to another number with fees applicable for forwarding out-of-home area.

ZD Net has a primer called What is Google Voice and why is it so cool? Updated March 3, 2014

And Google's Getting Started with Google Voice

There are other alternatives, like subscribing to a 3rd-party VoIP/SIP services, but none are as simple as downloading a skype app and logging in.

• Like 1

Normally there would be a dozen or so 3rd party apps for Android and iOS that worked with Google Voice and allowed the calls to be routed over an Internet connection for free. But Google recently said, "there are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice", and services to 3rd parties will be stopped by May 15, 2014. No word yet if Google will ever allow 3rd party apps similar access in the future.

OFFICIALLY:

Google's Hangouts is now providing SMS send/receive, and making voice calls. See: Use Hangouts for a Voice call

Voice and SMS are also available through the Chrome browser and gMail: Google Talk (gtalk), oh and calls can be forwarded to another number with fees applicable for forwarding out-of-home area.

ZD Net has a primer called What is Google Voice and why is it so cool? Updated March 3, 2014

And Google's Getting Started with Google Voice

There are other alternatives, like subscribing to a 3rd-party VoIP/SIP services, but none are as simple as downloading a skype app and logging in.

I still use Skype, but I canceled my Skype Number in US.

Also, from what you know, is it possible to get a Smart Phone to ring when someone calls the USA Google Voice number? By having the incoming call go through Gmail or Google Chat or something, and then a bridge of some sort to the voice calling part of the phone? I am not expert about VOIP as you can plainly see.

Also, from what you know, is it possible to get a Smart Phone to ring when someone calls the USA Google Voice number? By having the incoming call go through Gmail or Google Chat or something, and then a bridge of some sort to the voice calling part of the phone? I am not expert about VOIP as you can plainly see.

Google Voice is an Answering and Call-Forward to simultaneous phone service. All registered phones / Internet connections will ring at approximately the same time.

For a PC with Google Chrome browser, you can

1. Chrome browser: While logged into gmail or voice.google.com, send/receive calls routed over Internet using that PC and Google Voice Account.

2. Download this Hangouts background app for your computer from google to keep the app active when the computer is on.

Four methods that I've used for Smartphone:

1. Smartphone with 3rd-party google talk compatible app -- this service will be blocked on May 15, 2014 onward

2. Android Smartphone: Hangouts -- SMS, Voice and Video calls over Internet

3. Smartphone with Google Voice app / integration: Have all calls forwarded to your smartphone voice number ** Rate charges apply

4. 3rd-party SIP: Have calls forwarded to a 3rd-party call service with calls connected over Internet.

Google Voice: Calling Rates to numbers in foreign countries (calls forwarded to your thai mobile number)
Please note: Rates may change at any time.
US to Thailand - Landline 2¢/m
US to Thailand - Mobile 3¢/m
I mostly make outgoing calls and receive/send SMS texts so don't have a lot of experience being notified of incoming google voice calls. I don't keep the service open 24/7 as it can quickly drain both my smartphone battery and 3G kbps quota if using Internet notification and call connectivity.

GrooVeIP continues to work for me, pretty sure it will work until May 15. Not sure how Google is doing re: integration of GV into Hangouts? Believe they did something this week for iOS. I expect to be able to make/receive calls on my Android phone using GV/Hangouts, hopefully sooner rather than later. I wouldn't expect the quality to meet the OP's requirements, nor would I expect that utilizing 3G will necessarily be less expensive than other by-pass options available now, once you factor in the per MB cost of the call. On WiFi this argument is less important.

I assume you can originate/terminate calls on your PC now?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gvoip&hl=en

http://androidcommunity.com/groove-ip-shutting-down-due-to-google-voice-changes-20131104/

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3144495?hl=en

One very cool feature of GV is the ability to receive SMSes via email, so handy for things like OTP verifications. Another is the speech to text voicemail - email.

You can now record calls, conference and switch calls between forwarded phones. (May be account-based/optional?)

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice

Tons of videos here:

Edited by lomatopo

If you really want a full featured US phone service check out Ooma. I switched from Vonage to Ooma 3 months ago. I get unlimited US/Canada calling with many cool features. I have the Ooma App and can make and receive calls on my Galaxy S4.

My Google Voice number is my second number and Ooma provides me with the same features that the Ooma number has. All for $3.79 a month.

The only downside, you need to buy the Ooma Box. It's normally $149. but they always run a $99. promotion. You can also check eBay for a deal but DO NOT buy a used box as Ooma won't activate it.

Lastly, the voice quality is the best it's full HD quality. If you have any questions just let me know. Good luck...

I know for a fact you can dial out / receive calls on your google voice number from your laptop ( I used a headset to talk on, worked pretty well. ) At the time I didn't have an android phone but I was trying to accomplish the same thing as you. It worked well when I was at the apartment with the laptop running obviously, but for out and about I never had a good solution. Just load up the google voice website on your phone and have someone call you, or try to dial out and see what happens?

Google Voice: Calling Rates to numbers in foreign countries (calls forwarded to your thai mobile number)

I'm not too sure about this. I've never managed to forward my G Voice calls internationally and Google claims that it is not possible:

https://support.google.com/voice/answer/165221?hl=en

This is exactly why I'm sticking with my Skype number forwarding to my Thai number for the time being. If I'm wrong, please enlighten. I'd certainly prefer to use my G number.

Edited by malathione

I'm not too sure about this. I've never managed to forward my G Voice calls internationally and Google claims that it is not possible:

This is exactly why I'm sticking with my Skype number forwarding to my Thai number for the time being. If I'm wrong, please enlighten. I'd certainly prefer to use my G number.

I am not too clear regarding your question, but here is what I managed to do yesterday, which I think is just normal operating procedure:

I now have my Google Voice number in Florida, down there near that place which used to be a paradise before they screwed it up with too many fat cats, NAPLES.

And when people call my GV Number in Florida, then it rings on my Laptop here, and I can answer it.

I can talk as long as I want, I guess, and it costs me NOTHING.

But I have not yet tried to use my laptop in Thailand to call through my GV number, and I guess this does not work. I think if I want to call to a US number, then probably Google will charge me the International rate, which i think is about USD0.03 or 02 per minute. If anyone thinks this is wrong about calling to the US, pls state so.

STILL, it is a great deal for me, that my friends can call my GV number in Florida and then I can talk with them from my computer or phone if I have gmail on my phone, and it will not cost me a cent.

I would like to hear more from you about these types of ideas, because why pay the Telecoms a cent if we can avoid it!!!

I am not too clear regarding your question, but here is what I managed to do yesterday, which I think is just normal operating procedure:

I now have my Google Voice number in Florida, down there near that place which used to be a paradise before they screwed it up with too many fat cats, NAPLES.

And when people call my GV Number in Florida, then it rings on my Laptop here, and I can answer it.

I can talk as long as I want, I guess, and it costs me NOTHING.

But I have not yet tried to use my laptop in Thailand to call through my GV number, and I guess this does not work. I think if I want to call to a US number, then probably Google will charge me the International rate, which i think is about USD0.03 or 02 per minute. If anyone thinks this is wrong about calling to the US, pls state so.

STILL, it is a great deal for me, that my friends can call my GV number in Florida and then I can talk with them from my computer or phone if I have gmail on my phone, and it will not cost me a cent.

I would like to hear more from you about these types of ideas, because why pay the Telecoms a cent if we can avoid it!!!

Yeah, no issues using GV through the laptop. Just got a call earlier today ported to Hangouts and calling out using a laptop isn't an issue, either, free to the U.S. and Canada, I believe. I guess it would work the same way over my android phone.

My issue is that I am frequently in areas with fairly bad net coverage and it doesn't seem possible to have my incoming GV calls forwarded to my physical number rather than routed to an app using VOIP at my end ('m not sure if that made too much sense!). This works fine with my Skype number where calls are forwarded to my physical number (at a charge, of course).

Just use it as much as you can, the NSA will be happy to be informed about all your activities and movements ;-)

Yeah, the NSA already has all the info they want about you and everyone else. Now they just go for back up. 555

Larry Elision said over 10 years ago there is absolutely no anonimity left anywhere in the world.

I believe that statement.

But I have not yet tried to use my laptop in Thailand to call through my GV number, and I guess this does not work.

Yes, it works. Yes, it's free.

To GV and people in the U.S. it looks like you are in Naples, FL.

Again, suggest you look at a few videos to get the hang of GV.

GrooVeIP, an Android app., extends GV into the mobile space (free app for WiFi, paid supports 3G but 3G will be expensive re: data usage), so you can originate/receive GV calls to/from the U.S. for free. This will only work until May 15, 2014, after which time we hope Hangouts will provide this capability?

You can receive calls on your Android phone, made to your GV number using Hangouts, today. But you cannot make outgoing calls, using Hangouts, today.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Just use it as much as you can, the NSA will be happy to be informed about all your activities and movements ;-)

Yeah, the NSA already has all the info they want about you and everyone else. Now they just go for back up. 555

Larry Elision said over 10 years ago there is absolutely no anonimity left anywhere in the world.

I believe that statement.

I like Larry, becaues he likes Asia and the Japanese culture. he is a pretty funny, but smart, guy.

Some say he is a tyrant.

But he is right about privacy, and I do not worry about privacy anymore, because it is gone.

But I have not yet tried to use my laptop in Thailand to call through my GV number, and I guess this does not work.

Yes, it works. Yes, it's free.

To GV and people in the U.S. it looks like you are in Naples, FL.

Again, suggest you look at a few videos to get the hang of GV.

GrooVeIP, an Android app., extends GV into the mobile space (free app for WiFi, paid supports 3G but 3G will be expensive re: data usage), so you can originate/receive GV calls to/from the U.S. for free. This will only work until May 15, 2014, after which time we hope Hangouts will provide this capability?

You can receive calls on your Android phone, made to your GV number using Hangouts, today. But you cannot make outgoing calls, using Hangouts, today.

I WILL watch, for sure. And I know this will be helpful.

In the near future, I bet Google will win more marketshare than Skype, and so I am going to bale on Skype, and don't care since I do not like Microsoft's founder, nor the monopolistic tendancies of the company.

I hope GV will just keep getting better and better.

One thing I have noticed is that the audio quality of GV on my laptop seems poorer than Skype on my Smart Phone. Any ideas why?

I have been using groove ip here in thailand for years. You just dial any usa or canada number for free from your android cell or someone dials your usa number and it rings through....Caller id works so the party wouldnt know if you were in thailand or stateside.....

One thing I have noticed is that the audio quality of GV on my laptop seems poorer than Skype on my Smart Phone. Any ideas why?

This could be any number of issues pertaining to your laptop, smartphone, the application(s), the underlying service or the network. What, exactly, do you mean when you say "audio quality"? What attributes would you use to describe acceptable/unacceptable?

If you mainly call from home, and quality is important I might suggest something like magicJack or netTALK, which include hardware and a reasonably low-priced subscription fee. There have been quite a few threads/posts on these services here over the years, with generally positive experiences.