If polling nullified, EC should pay for the cost: Thai govt

webfact

ELECTION
If polling nullified, EC should pay for the cost: govt

NANTHIDA PUANGTHONG
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE GOVERNMENT wants the Election Commission (EC) to take responsibility for the funds spent on the February 2 election, if the Constitutional Court rules to nullify the election.

The move comes after the EC sought a court ruling over whether a new royal decree is needed before holding elections in 28 constituencies that have no MP candidates.

If a new decree needs to be issued, it would need to be decided whether such a decree would call for elections in just those 28 constituencies, or declare new elections nationwide. The Constitution stipulates that elections must be held on the same day across the nation.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said yesterday that the EC must be held responsible for the loss of Bt3.8 billion in state funds for holding the February 2 election, should it be nullified.

Surapong said he would file petitions with the Office of the Auditor-General and the Comptroller General's Department to check if the EC spent the funds in a transparent manner.

He urged the EC to announce the results of the election in areas that had no protests or obstructions. He said the EC might risk legal action for dereliction of duty if it failed to announce the winners of the MP seats.

He added that the EC would face more legal complications if parties in the South took it to court for failing to hold the election in constituencies where registration failed.

EC member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said the EC sought a clarification from the court because if it did not, it might face complaints that it violated the charter for scheduling two poll dates.

"If the court rules it is not unconstitutional to have two election dates, the political impasse would be solved. If it rules that it is unconstitutional, we must hold a new election for all constituencies. We have to seek the court's ruling to prevent anyone from filing complaints to nullify the election," he said.

Somchai was not confident the EC could hold voting in the 28 constituencies on the senatorial election date, since it faced time constraints and the candidates needed time for campaigning. However, he was quite certain that the election in areas hit by disruptions on February 2 could be held on the same day of the senatorial election date. He added that five provinces were ready to hold voting on March 30.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit submitted a letter to the EC chairman, urging the agency to hold voting for the remaining constituencies on the same day as the Senate election date, since it would be convenient for voters, save costs and get rid of the political vacuum by forming a new government.

He said it was unlikely the People's Democratic Reform Committee would block the senatorial election because they wanted to take part in the poll.

If the EC agreed with the proposal, it should also remove its petition with the Constitutional Court over the 28 constituencies, he said.

Prompong said the party would present these proposals at a meeting held by the EC in Songkhla's Hat Yai district on Friday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-06

• Like 1

I thought the EC told the caretaker Government to delay the 02 February election as holding it then would result in a voided election and waste bt8Bn but PT went ahead anyway. Soon what the EC predicted will probably happen and somehow PT wants the EC to be held responsible for the waste, when they didn't listen to their advice originally. Oh I forgot, PT only listens to advice and court rulings when it suits their agenda.

Maybe the EC should have asked the PDRC not to block the polls so the elections could proceed otherwise 3.8 billion would be wasted, after all it is them who are blocking polling stations........

It is the EC function to hold an election within the time allowed by the constitution, every other EC was able to fulfill its job requirements, the EC failed to post Army or police to insure voting could take place uninterrupted and closed some polling place to insure a protest could be filed against the election.

It is the EC function to implement the laws that govern the election, not re-writing those laws, they should be responsible for the cost of the election for failing to properly preform their required duties!

Cheers

The army and the police do not take orders from the EC.

The PTP give the orders and refused to give them.

Where do you get your information.

Is the red shirt media that ignorant?

If the rice-, floodwater-, tablet-, first car-, first house-, etc. schemes failed, the responsible in the Thai govt should pay for the cost with there privat assets.
If state funds are missing, and those in charge do not want to explain / to where the money went, they must compensate the damage. If the damage can not be fully replaced, then into prison with this culprits.

• Like 1

It is the EC function to hold an election within the time allowed by the constitution, every other EC was able to fulfill its job requirements, the EC failed to post Army or police to insure voting could take place uninterrupted and closed some polling place to insure a protest could be filed against the election.

It is the EC function to implement the laws that govern the election, not re-writing those laws, they should be responsible for the cost of the election for failing to properly preform their required duties!

Cheers

It is also the EC function to decide if elections can be held on the same day and if not they should reschedule. Ohh wait!! They tried that but were ordered by YL to hold elections quickly even though she knew the electorates were insufficient to make a parliament and even though she knew elections would blocked by the masses. Ohhh sorry kiko!! You know this already bur just wanted to show how wrong the EC is.

:-(:-(:-(

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Cheers

This is a new low from Kikoman! Just parroting what Chalerm said.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

He would not make a very good poker player.

He just wants to play an important role in a government office.

He isn't bright enough to be a desk-lamp, nor sharp enough for a letter-opener, so I would suggest paper-weight.

Cheers

It is not the responsibility of the EC to police them (only manage them) - they must ensure the safety of the staff working at the polling stations first and foremost. If this cannot be guaranteed then cancellation of the polling is their only responsible option!!

The army are not responsible for safety and security and the police (controlled by Thaksin) failed to provide the security, so it is his fault that the elections were a failure.

Cheers

Can you please stop with the lies and propaganda.

The EC hasn't rewritten ANY laws and they warned the Govt BEFORE the elections took place that they would not be able to be completed due to the protests. The Govt insisted they go ahead, therefore it is the Govt's responsibility for going against the advice of the people that RUN THE ELECTIONS.

I totally agree, there are WAY TOO MANY "ARM CHAIR" Lawyers in this forum!

• Like 1

Cheers

Who cares what you think? none of it matters.... we only stick to facts on this forum, you can lie to yourself and your other red cohorts all you want.

The rest of us will just stick with the truth and the facts.

Stop attempting to appeal to more intelligent people with your bullshit facts.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Can someone tell me how to put a poster on ignore.

Cheers

When you see their avatar in the top left hand corner zoom past it on to the next post. Works every time!!

What I do is similar, if ever I come across the words fascist, democratically elected or elite I move on!!!

• Like 1

Can someone tell me how to put a poster on ignore.

Cheers

When you see their avatar in the top left hand corner zoom past it on to the next post. Works every time!!

What I do is similar, if ever I come across the words fascist, democratically elected or elite I move on!!!

LOL yeah thanks I do that now to but the scroll wheel is taking a hammering of late

If the rice-, floodwater-, tablet-, first car-, first house-, etc. schemes failed, the responsible in the Thai govt should pay for the cost with there privat assets.
If state funds are missing, and those in charge do not want to explain / to where the money went, they must compensate the damage. If the damage can not be fully replaced, then into prison with this culprits.

The sooner the better

Cheers

This is a new low from Kikoman! Just parroting what Chalerm said.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is one point of view. I think it is a step up from some of his other posts.

The EC advised canceling it and saving the 3.2 billion baht cost. the government knew the election would not solve any thing yet went ahead and threw the 3.2 billion baht down a hole.

They then turned around and lied to the farmers about when they were going to get their money and when they finally scrapped up about 3/4 of a billion baht to pay them they made a big deal of it. It was less than 1% of the dept.

With the 3.2 billion baht they could have eliminated close to around 3% of the debt.

These are the people running the country. I bet if it was still the age of the check book they would have to have some one balance their own personal one.

Then to top it all off they have a minister of finance who says it is OK to lie to the citizens if it will make them feel good and the Prime Minister turns around and sanctions that. She then using that as an excuse proceeds to lie to the farmers. She figures if it is good enough for the Minister of Finance it is good enough for the Prime Minister. after all her brother told her it was OK.

Edited by northernjohn

My God, what a piece of sh#t government. They've squandered much much more of taxpayer money on the rice scam ALONE and just because they're pissed off with the EC, they want to make them pay for it. Why don't you idiots do the same and pay for the hundreds of billions of our money you've wasted, you blood hypocrites.

PM wants fairness and no double standards. It beings at home you bloody puppet! bah.gif

Thai politics the laughing stock of the world - it really does remind me of a kinder garden classroom - if it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious

You know what guys, it's time Thailand had some programs on TV like "spitting image or the "Colbert report" or the "daily show" - you get the idea right

It would be the best stuff ever - and could maybe help these buffoons think before they open their mouths - it might even help the Thai people realise who they are really voting into office

• Like 1