Kawasaki Ninja 250RR 2014 - Single Cylinder - Thailand

ll2

Kawasaki will release this single cylinder 250 cc new ninja at Motor Expo in Bangkok soon.

SIngle cylinder 28 hp - 22 nm engine, a better chassis that ninja300 - they say - and a wet weight of 150 kg which is nearly 25 kg less than twin ninja 250.

Also they say an SL version which will make 31 hp if google translation is right.

it looks like we have a companion to honda cbr250r and i am sure if the price is same as cbr250r, it sells good as much as honda. But, kawa is late as Honda is releasing cbr300r at the same Motor Expo in Bangkok! Maybe honda keeps cbr250r in the line up together with cbr300r?

but the headlight and front looks like honda cbr650f a lot! what a coincidence!

So, a small sport bike for masses from kawasaki finally. I am sure they will sell a lot of these in Southeast Asia of course if the price is right. Curious about the pricing.

Good to have choices and quality looks good.

post-184955-0-51301900-1394183087_thumb.

post-184955-0-60801500-1394183088_thumb.

post-184955-0-70155500-1394183090_thumb.

post-184955-0-53246300-1394183093_thumb.

post-184955-0-64492600-1394183095_thumb.

post-184955-0-61982900-1394183186_thumb.

post-184955-0-84362800-1394183187_thumb.

post-184955-0-28509400-1394183189_thumb.

post-184955-0-56178500-1394183191_thumb.

post-184955-0-85728900-1394183192_thumb.

post-184955-0-80091700-1394183193_thumb.

Edited by ll2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes LL I saw that a few weeks ago but

just assumed it would be Indonesia/India sold only.

It is interesting in some ways.

Will be a more narrow bike for sure which is nice

Has a nice light looking frame but the welded on passenger peg mounts are odd

As is the returning to the retro style front signal lights.

The fork top clamp & clip-ons are nice

Other than that I am not sure it would sell well in Thailand nor do I really understand the intention

Kind of odd eh?

odd indeed. odd looking too!

what i heard, it will be here too.

not super sure though.

kawasaki's effort to beat cbr250r. if they sell it one third cheaper than twin ninja, it might sell well though.

not super sure though.

kawasaki's effort to beat cbr250r. if they sell it one third cheaper than twin ninja, it might sell well though.

Yes the original claim I hear was it was built for a 250 single race class in Indonesia to

compete with the Honda 250

But since Honda is suppose to go 300 single soon I cannot say I understand all the work to do this now

But...who knows whats going on race class wise in Indonesia smile.png

Some have also stated its intent was just to replace the old Kawasaki 150 2 stroke in line up

Ninja 150RR superKIPS (last prod date 12/2013 in malaysia)

Supposedly released in Indonesia for 39.9 mill IDR or 112k Baht

Edited by mania

not super sure though.

Yes the original claim I hear was it was built for a 250 single race class in Indonesia to

But since Honda is suppose to go 300 single soon I cannot say I understand all the work to do this now

Some have also stated its intent was just to replace the old Kawasaki 150 2 stroke in line up

you are right mania. cbr300r is coming so why 250 cc single?

bc it is for riders who wants to clear their two stroke 150 cc bikes with a light bike with around the same power also sure easier to drive and cheaper to buy, maintain and run plus higher low down torque than a twin ninja so better for workhorse duties and masses.

Don't like the clipons/bars, too low, too sweptback and they also look to angle downward at the bar ends. Great for a full on race-replica but for an entry level learner bike? Whats the point. Maybe you can drop the front end a bit and put the clipons over the triple clamp and adjust the angle of them but that may or may not help the handling. Just doesn't look like it has very good ergo's for a learner/world bike.

Other quick gripes would be frame looks skimpy but for a light, low powered bike maybe is rigid enough, the pillion seat looks like an afterthought, digital tack and speed indicator, and from what I can see lack of a temp gauge. On the plus side narrow tank and low seat height (though seat looks like it might be short on padding).

Don't like the clipons/bars, too low, too sweptback and they also look to angle downward at the bar ends. Great for a full on race-replica but for an entry level learner bike? Whats the point. Maybe you can drop the front end a bit and put the clipons over the triple clamp and adjust the angle of them but that may or may not help the handling. Just doesn't look like it has very good ergo's for a learner/world bike.

Remember that in Asia these are not beginners bikes but the most, one young man can afford with many years of financing.

Other than that it looks nice and is fantastic in green/black.

not super sure though.

you are right mania. cbr300r is coming so why 250 cc single?

bc it is for riders who wants to clear their two stroke 150 cc bikes with a light bike with around the same power also sure easier to drive and cheaper to buy, maintain and run plus higher low down torque than a twin ninja so better for workhorse duties and masses.

20k baht is a big difference for some buyers.

I still scratch my head when someone buys a used CBR 150 over a used CBR 250...price difference is negligible to some, but more of a challenge for others.

Remember that in Asia these are not beginners bikes but the most, one young man can afford with many years of financing.

I think you missed my point. The poor ergonomics on supersport/track bikes are for a reason. The low clipons, high rearsets, nasty seats, actually help on the racetrack. In the real world they add no value. If you are designing a repi-racer you are willing to trade comfort for the edge these ergonomic compromises provide. On the other hand if you are building an entry level bike that has no place on a track unless it is in a manufacturers unmodified club race type of event then you really don't want to suffer these ergonomic trade offs.

I think Honda has the right idea with their bikes. Focus on real world ride-ability, economy and comfort in your entry level bikes but put the same styling and fairings on them that you have on your top level bikes. That way the guy who can't afford the technology of a repli-racer gets a good practical bike that looks great and only someone who is "into" bikes will spot the differences anyhow. Win-Win I figure.

Looks like Kawi has copied Honda for a change, it looks like a cbr250 clone.

Kind of a shame they copied that model, let's hope they copy a bike with decent specs next time. A ZXR650F (or whatever) that looked like a Ninja 636 would be a good start, ala the CBR650F which looks like a good, practical, budget version of the CBR600RR.

Anyone building a sub 200cc bike will be hard pressed to beat Yamaha's new 125
for style & parts points IMHO wink.png

USD forks, radial mount front caliper etc.

If they do this with their proposed 250/300 I'm buying one no questions asked
2014-Yamaha-YZF-R125-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-

Edited by mania

I get where you are going with this but I find things like USD forks and radial mount calipers kinda gimmicky when they are on a tiny under-powered bike. USD forks only benefit is the reduced stiction from the reduced bending in the fork upper because of the increased diameter. Truth is in most cases this matters allot less than if the fork is adjustable or even what the fork tube is coated with. So if you are gonna go out and buy $$$$$$ Ohlins USD forks for use on some sort of superbike then the USD bit makes lots of sense but for an entry level bike with limited poser and limited breaking power, whats the point? Also USD forks are more prone to seal issues because the exposed fork tube area being closer to the wheel where it is more likely to get nicked/scratched/scored by rocks and other road debris. Radial brakes are great but likely better off with a bigger front tire and a second disc, more calipers, etc. Again on an entry level bike they don't really add that much since you can't get that much breaking force with the small front tire (unless you upsize the stock wheel and throw some sticky slick on it). At least in the radial brakes defense there really is no downside to them that I can think of other than the requirement for a stronger(maybe heavier) frame for the calipers.

Again I ain't trying to crap on these entry level bikes, I think they are amazing bang for the buck I just don't get why they throw stuff on the bike that increases its cost without adding value to its intended purpose. I mean for the minimal cost of the USD forks (if they aren't fully adjustable) you could throw on a center stand or a better headlight or better stock tires, all of which is more likely useful than the forks to most people.

Edited by Dakling

I think you missed my point. The poor ergonomics on supersport/track bikes are for a reason. The low clipons, high rearsets, nasty seats, actually help on the racetrack. In the real world they add no value. If you are designing a repi-racer you are willing to trade comfort for the edge these ergonomic compromises provide. On the other hand if you are building an entry level bike that has no place on a track unless it is in a manufacturers unmodified club race type of event then you really don't want to suffer these ergonomic trade offs.

I think Honda has the right idea with their bikes. Focus on real world ride-ability, economy and comfort in your entry level bikes but put the same styling and fairings on them that you have on your top level bikes. That way the guy who can't afford the technology of a repli-racer gets a good practical bike that looks great and only someone who is "into" bikes will spot the differences anyhow. Win-Win I figure.

i don't agree with you and I think you are ignoring the all important concept of marketing and consumer preference research.

Good luck to Kawa with this light extreme sportbike and hope its buyers will enjoy for what it is, no matter what others says about what should have been.

Anyone building a sub 200cc bike will be hard pressed to beat Yamaha's new 125

for style & parts points IMHO wink.png

If they do this with their proposed 250/300 I'm buying one no questions asked

2014-Yamaha-YZF-R125-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-

not really neceassy on a 125,what are they going to do next ? abs and traction control ? :D

I get where you are going with this but I find things like USD forks and radial mount calipers kinda gimmicky when they are on a tiny under-powered bike. USD forks only benefit is the reduced stiction from the reduced bending in the fork upper because of the increased diameter. Truth is in most cases this matters allot less than if the fork is adjustable or even what the fork tube is coated with. So if you are gonna go out and buy $$$$$$ Ohlins USD forks for use on some sort of superbike then the USD bit makes lots of sense but for an entry level bike with limited poser and limited breaking power, whats the point? Also USD forks are more prone to seal issues because the exposed fork tube area being closer to the wheel where it is more likely to get nicked/scratched/scored by rocks and other road debris. Radial brakes are great but likely better off with a bigger front tire and a second disc, more calipers, etc. Again on an entry level bike they don't really add that much since you can't get that much breaking force with the small front tire (unless you upsize the stock wheel and throw some sticky slick on it). At least in the radial brakes defense there really is no downside to them that I can think of other than the requirement for a stronger(maybe heavier) frame for the calipers.

Again I ain't trying to crap on these entry level bikes, I think they are amazing bang for the buck I just don't get why they throw stuff on the bike that increases its cost without adding value to its intended purpose. I mean for the minimal cost of the USD forks (if they aren't fully adjustable) you could throw on a center stand or a better headlight or better stock tires, all of which is more likely useful than the forks to most people.

As I said if they add these things to the 250/300 I think it is a good move.

USD forks are nothing new look at the pic I post below wink.png

It is not just to do with sticktion per se' but all about a stiffer front. Smaller bikes tend to have smaller legs

all the more reason for stiffer uppers. Adding valves is the easy part if not done already making them further adjustable

Radial mounted brakes if done right are just better again less flex

Tire/rim etc size matter not.

Same as saying ah that bike is small a mini drum brake would do it fine.

Look at Moto3 bikes 250cc built very well only 82kg or less.

A bike is moving along & with a single front disc or double for that matter this is an efficient way to stop/slow it.

I understand what you & some others keep saying when you say entry level but

this is Asia these are not entry level to many but may be as high $$$ as they can go.

Look at the Asia cup races etc or how they still race underbones on a high level.

For many this class is their next step so of course that some end consumers can also appreciate better parts

is a good thing. Nothing wrong when one of the manufacturers want to supply them. I say let them have it wink.png

USD nothing new

post-82547-0-79443900-1394242741_thumb.j

Small bikes use technology too wink.png Moto3 250

post-82547-0-27212500-1394242816_thumb.j

Many young Asians move from these to 125's

post-82547-0-70619600-1394242915_thumb.j

Edited by mania

Why not?

I prefer better and immediate braking and nice handling on any bike. Be it 125 cc or 1250cc.

So they make a lot of sense to me.

And i am ok to pay extra for these too.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I love the small bikes, but flimsy front ends is my pet peeve.

Hitting a pot-hole or road heave at 100 or more on the highway is dam_n scary.

Bring on the USDs.

That Yamaha is beautiful.

Edited by papa al

Is the engine to be used in any other platform?

Hard to imagine them designing a whole new engine for one bike, when they have a twin at only 50cc higher and naked twin at the same cc. huh.png

Unless it happens to be 2-smoker. :D Then sign me up on the illegal dotted line.

Edited by Dave 74

it seems like a step backwards from kawa but whatever ........smile.png

unless its aimed at the cbr 150/250 market i dont see the point

when they could have modernised the 300 twin to compete with the cbr 300

but this model is not fully directed to sport riders.

there are other riders that will use this bike as a commuter and work horse too so it is good for them.

Don't need a twin to do good on small engines. Light, well built thumper can take tuning and be fast and revvying well. Plus, it's cheaper.

Very true & as I love the Moto3 class I often marvel at the beautiful engines

Honda & KTM build for those bikes.