Sunday lunch buffets

khunphilip

My order of rankings would be:

1. Dhara Dhevi is BY FAR THE BEST in Chiang mai, but is also by far the most expensive at around 3500 baht for two for their Sunday Brunch. A great experience . . . even if you only can afford to go the once. Unfortuneately no discount cards.

2. Le Meridean is VERY GOOD but getting a little pricey at around 2000 baht for two for their Sunday Brunch. Plenty of very good quality farang tucker. Been there many, many times (when they had their 50% discount card). You can still get a 25% card.

3. Kantary Hills, have not been there on a Sunday, but their Monday and Friday dinner buffet is EXCELLENT VALUE at 220 baht. Been there many, many times. Live music is very good.

4. Shangri-la . . OK, nothing special. Been there a few times . . . for the price its OK but I am not anxious to go back.

5. Siripanna . . inside air conditioned seating is limited, outside seating can be nice depending on weather. Salad selection and deserts are pretty ordinary. Weekdays at 189 baht per person is GOOD VALUE. Been there many times.

5. Centara . . OK, nothing special. Not so much farang food. Been there a few times, not anxious to go back again

6. Grandview is not too bad, nothing to get excited about but is good. Nice crepes. Weekdays only 159 baht per person is GOOD VALUE. Been there many times.

7. The Empress . . . food is poor quality, the salad range is very limited as are the deserts. Don't want to ever eat there again.

8. Holiday Inn . . . have only walked in, asked for the price then checked out the buffet, then walked out and went somewhere else. Does not appear to be of good value.

I am thinking about checking out the D2 and the old Chedi . . . would be interested to hear a review from anyone who has been.

• Like 1

Best buffet in town is at the Empress Hotel. There are dozens of delicious entrees; Western, Thai, and Chinese, many more sides, (even some of eyecatcher's finger foods if you're a snob,) roasts being carved to order by a chef and steaks being cooked to order. Plenty of things requiring a knife and fork, many more requiring chop sticks, even fresh sashimi and sushi. The dessert table has more varieties of tasties (cakes, tarts, fresh fruits, etc,) than I was able to quick count. About 300 baht per person, unless you have a Member's Card. It's a good idea to make a reservation as the Empress is now catering to large tour groups. If no res, best to get there around 11:30-11:45 and you will probably get a table in the outer seating area, which many prefer as it's less hectic.

We try to eat there at least once a month. It really is worth the money, in taste, quality, and variety!

You certainly praise the place but Im leary of a place that takes in tour groups. That usually means sub standard. I need to try to believe.

Best buffet in town is at the Empress Hotel. There are dozens of delicious entrees; Western, Thai, and Chinese, many more sides, (even some of eyecatcher's finger foods if you're a snob,) roasts being carved to order by a chef and steaks being cooked to order. Plenty of things requiring a knife and fork, many more requiring chop sticks, even fresh sashimi and sushi. The dessert table has more varieties of tasties (cakes, tarts, fresh fruits, etc,) than I was able to quick count. About 300 baht per person, unless you have a Member's Card. It's a good idea to make a reservation as the Empress is now catering to large tour groups. If no res, best to get there around 11:30-11:45 and you will probably get a table in the outer seating area, which many prefer as it's less hectic.

We try to eat there at least once a month. It really is worth the money, in taste, quality, and variety!

You certainly praise the place but Im leary of a place that takes in tour groups. That usually means sub standard. I need to try to believe.

as has been said earlier in the thread, the quality has declined severely over the last 30 days and it is best to give this place a "miss" now. we also went recently and were very disappointed after having gone many times over he years. the place is now geared towards Chinese busloads.

things change fast in C.M. unlike other major cities in Thailand. it's always best to check and see if there have been any recent changes reported.

as has been said earlier in the thread, the quality has declined severely over the last 30 days and it is best to give this place a "miss" now. we also went recently and were very disappointed after having gone many times over he years. the place is now geared towards Chinese busloads.

things change fast in C.M. unlike other major cities in Thailand. it's always best to check and see if there have been any recent changes reported.

When I made my original post, it was in the middle of High Season. Right now it's Slow Season. Last week at the Empress there were even tables capable of seating tour groups that were vacant. And no question about it; the offerings were not nearly as upscale nor as Western as they'd been during High Season. Understandably so.

For the same reasons most hotels don't offer Sunday-style buffets mid-week, they don't offer High Season style buffets during low season. Especially regarding Western-style dishes. To expect otherwise (without paying through the nose) would be foolish. But fortunately, for those of us who don't require a dozen different Western dishes and are happy to dine on a nice variety of Chinese, Japanese, and Thai dishes, the Empress still puts on a good service. And while the sushi and sashimi are not quite up to Kyoto or Tokyo standards, it's still pretty darn good. So are the 8-10 different Chinese dim-sum.

I guess when it comes to buffets, it's really all about what the individual is looking for, basing opinions on comparisons. Personally, I'm pretty happy with the Sukantha Buffet too, and that's ALL Thai!

I guess when it comes to buffets, it's really all about what the individual is looking for, basing opinions on comparisons.

The really good ones are so expensive now that I would much rather go to the Duke's or Marco's and get one dish (with side dishes) that I really want, instead of pigging out on a bunch of lower quality foods. In my day, the best buffet in town was at what is now the Holiday Inn and it was only 150 baht for a meal that cost at least 800 baht now.

depositphotos_21056391-Old-man-shaking-s

• Like 1

only wishsmile.png that one can turn the clock back to the westin /,amari rincombe dayssmile.png they were buffett lunches for the purist ,at very affordable prices,sadly good things never last for everrolleyes.gif now a days it seems a hit and miss affair,perhaps h/inn is a good call for mine,but if one does his sums , 800 baht can give you a better nose bag,say at the chez marco or the river market,sure not a buffett but but both estabalishments have a extensive menus,and u can wash your grub down with a beer or wine at reasonable prices,these hotels luv gouging your eyes out on beaverages, just my opinion,a very nice afternoon to allsmile.pngbiggrin.png

just a cute bump for ulysses gsmile.pngbiggrin.png how true your post isbiggrin.png todays buffett lunches or sundays lunches are ripping everybodys u,bows off,when c/mai was in a deep slumber the above two would (westin/amari) play the break off any of todays fare,by the proverbial mile,in both quality and price smile.png the empress was simply dogs mess in those days,and from the excellent comments from members on this thread, it has nt changed ,never forget my one and only visit to the empress around 2002/3,apart from the k9 grub,failed to wear my mouth guard, shoulder and shin pads,and crash helmet, so got smashed to fluffing peices at the food stations by the tourist buses lot, what a hungry load of????laugh.png geeezzzzuusss they even knocked off my pew offlaugh.png and as resultended up at EYECATCHERS blind massuers,to rub the bruising and bumps out,laugh.png thks to all for reading my views and a great evening to allsmile.pngbiggrin.pngand remember its a great life as long as u dont weakenbiggrin.png

If you are willing to shell out 800baht** give Le Meridien a look.

The Italian cold cuts and cheese are worth half of the fee and add half a dozen fin de claires and you've had your monies worth but there's plenty else there. Starts 1130 through to 1500.

**price with card which can be acquired and utilized on the day.

I've tried Le Meriden before and I find their food quite good albeit not the same sort of value for money as other places I've tried, two years ago at Xmas their buffet was excellent but I find it difficult to eat THB 1,500 of food and still feel comfortable.

Ditto the ? Hotel out towards Mai Sa on the left hand side on the way to the elephant camp, great ambiance, setting and decent food but THB 1,500 for French Toast and eggs Benedict, using sandwich ham, cheeky.

• Like 1

only wishsmile.png that one can turn the clock back to the westin /,amari rincombe dayssmile.png they were buffett lunches for the purist ,at very affordable prices,sadly good things never last for everrolleyes.gif now a days it seems a hit and miss affair,perhaps h/inn is a good call for mine,but if one does his sums , 800 baht can give you a better nose bag,say at the chez marco or the river market,sure not a buffett but but both estabalishments have a extensive menus,and u can wash your grub down with a beer or wine at reasonable prices,these hotels luv gouging your eyes out on beaverages, just my opinion,a very nice afternoon to allsmile.pngbiggrin.png

The Westin was indeed a great buffet at a ridiculously cheap price. I've never been a big lunchtime eater but their pastry chef, a young Austrian guy, was excellent and that alone was cause enough for me to go. There wasn't much in Chiang Mai in those days as regards to cakes and pastries so it really was a treat. Sacher cake to die for.

Could someone explain me THE exact location of THE sirilana hotel, as i cant find iT in THE mentioned area, if i google THE hotel Then iT is in THE city centre

Thanks in advance

JME

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

http://www.siripanna.com/d/default/media/Map_ChiangMai.jpg

Thanks for the map. Most maps don't give you a clue as to what part of the city they are in and are in Thai.