One rotten apple in the barrel (village)

giddyup

Our village has just become responsible for managing it's own maintenance, before that the developers took care of it. As I anticipated, two houses (out of 40) have refused to pay maintenance. Both houses are owned by the same family who show obvious signs of wealth with expensive late model cars, extensions to the houses etc. It appears that we are pretty much helpless in this situation, as any suggestion of punishing this family in some way, by restricting car access etc, has residents fearful of retribution. It's the old Thai story, those with "power", ie, money, call the shots.

I guess I should be glad that it's only one house that has refused to pay, but it still sticks in my craw that these bastards can get a free ride with no repercussions.

• Like 2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Let your Thai neighbors sort it out - they will dislike this behaviour more than you - don't put yourself in the position of becoming the lightening rod.

I wasn't contemplating taking any action, not sure what I could do anyway, and I don't think the Thais that live in the village are going to do anything either.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Assuming that every house has its individual rubbish bin, it would be good to inform the company that empties them that 2 houses are exempted from that service.

That crossed my mind as well, but I guess the defaulters in question can make a cash payment to the council to cover their rubbish removal. I think that's a really paltry amount, like 40 baht a month.

• Like 1

Yes we have the same problem in our village, a few cheap charlies wont pay (incl one expat).

They now have to leave their id card at the gate when entering the village and the bins wont be empied as well.

On the house holds that paid (98% or so) is a A4 laminated sticker next to the mail box with your house no saying: Thanks for paying maintanence fee.

This should also be reported at the land office so they can't transfer the house/land without paying the outstanding fees. (tell them, not you but the village chief)

I don't know how we'd force these people into leaving their ID cards at the security box. There's quite a big family with at least 5 or 6 cars and I imagine they'd just lord it over the poor security guards if they were asked to leave ID. I suggested some kind of name and shame board that lists the houses that have refused to pay maintenance, but the general consensus was that might be stirring a hornets nest.

Isn't the standard T-V response from the internet tough guys to physically confront the scoffaws and demand sarisfaction. If satisfactiin is not forthcoming, you're directed to beat them to a pulp.

I would just make sure plenty of doggie poop makes its way to their stoop!

Order 50 extra large pizzas to their house... next week Chicken....

Then the supplier would be stuck with the loss of income. Just an idea; got anyone in your immediate Thai family who would make an anonymous call to police saying YaBa is being dealt from the houses? Follow up a few weeks later that gambling at the premises, a few weeks later another complaint??? Hopefully they would get the hint...

• Like 2

Isn't the standard T-V response from the internet tough guys to physically confront the scoffaws and demand sarisfaction. If satisfactiin is not forthcoming, you're directed to beat them to a pulp.

I would just make sure plenty of doggie poop makes its way to their stoop!

Order 50 extra large pizzas to their house... next week Chicken....

Then the supplier would be stuck with the loss of income. Just an idea; got anyone in your immediate Thai family who would make an anonymous call to police saying YaBa is being dealt from the houses? Follow up a few weeks later that gambling at the premises, a few weeks later another complaint??? Hopefully they would get the hint...

From what I understand this family has friends in high places (police), so if someone did make any anonymous call I doubt if it would go anywhere. Big power in Thailand means untouchable.

Think about it. When your stomach is in a knot thinking about how the bastards are getting a free ride, who's suffering? They wouldn't care even if they did know you're stewing inside.

Sounds crazy, but say a little prayer for them every day until the knot in your stomach goes away. Took me about 30 days of praying for the ex-wife and I guaranty you that was worse than your situation.

They won't notice, but your life may just get better.

Or you can just keep giving them rent free space in your head- and reach for the antacids.

I'm still stewing because I only heard about it yesterday, but I doubt if I'll be fretting about it in two days time. What's that old saying about accepting the things you can't change?

• Like 2

Hopefully you live in a large village and this causes no financial strain on the rest of the owners. I live in a large condo block and we have our share of deadbeats too. I hope they understand that there is an interest penalty on late payments and your juristic person is basically holding their home hostage until all past due encumbrances are cleared. No transfer of sale can be completed at the Land Office until your Board and/or Juristic Person signs the official release. As mentioned, in a condo block, water and tv, cable can be turned off after two months of nonpayment.

When I was a rep for tenants in my block of flats in London the anti-social minority were the bain of the Committees life (these Tower-bridge apartments rented out for GBP 2,500 plus a month!). People who just refused to pay their due fees and put up ridiculous smoke screens.

I suspect it's a world-wide phenomenon. 1%+ of the population are @rse'oles and always will be.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Everyone who pays maintenance get a carsticker to enter the village. No sticker, no entrance by motor vehicle.

Try to get security to enforce that when they have their lives threatened if they don't let the defaulters in.

Everyone who pays maintenance get a carsticker to enter the village. No sticker, no entrance by motor vehicle.

Try to get security to enforce that when they have their lives threatened if they don't let the defaulters in.

... and legally you couldn't do that. Your committee is dealing with this problem, best to let them handle this

... and legally you couldn't do that. Your committee is dealing with this problem, best to let them handle this

I think the committee are feeling pretty helpless.

I looked over the posts twice, couldn't see if was mentioned.

How much are we talking about?

It's around 25,000 baht (per house), but it's principle as much as money. Why should two houses get a free ride? I might add that they (and their kids) use the swimming pool more than any other resident, as they live directly opposite, and yet they don't want to contribute one satang to it's upkeep.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I looked over the posts twice, couldn't see if was mentioned.

How much are we talking about?

It's around 25,000 baht (per house), but it's principle as much as money. Why should two houses get a free ride? I might add that they (and their kids) use the swimming pool more than any other resident, as they live directly opposite, and yet they don't want to contribute one satang to it's upkeep.

How long past due?